clipperhawaii

Two European Countries And Its Leaders In Turmoil.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:29 pm

And you thought the U.S. and its leader had problems?

First there is De Villepin (the "hand picked one") who has become isolated as protesters force a screeching u-turn. (Have you seen the rabble in the streets? sheeesh) President Chirac’s Government is forced to abandon its hotly and bitterly contested labor reforms and is in the throes of a humiliating retreat. Read that as a resounding defeat. Nothing less.

Then it's Berlusconi in Italy clinging to a lead in a cliffhanger poll against Romano Prodi’s centre-left coalition, which tried to secure a clear victory, but may come up short. Neither side is in a good place now that the may not have what they need to win outright.

Not too happy in Italy, and not too happy in France it seems. The winds of change and discontent are blowing harder and harder these days on BOTH sides of the Atlantic.
I wonder who's next?

Here’s hoping they figure it out.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Doona

RE: Two European Countries And Its Leaders In Turmoil.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Thread starter):
Not too happy in Italy, and not too happy in France it seems. The winds of change and discontent are blowing harder and harder these days on BOTH sides of the Atlantic.

Well, people should be happier now, since Prodi won the election. I don't think anyone agrees with the fact of having a billionaire who owns 90% of the nations media at it's head. Also, I've heard Berlusconi compare himself to both Jesus and Napoleon. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

EWS

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 1):
Well, people should be happier now, since Prodi won the election. I don't think anyone agrees with the fact of having a billionaire who owns 90% of the nations media at it's head. Also, I've heard Berlusconi compare himself to both Jesus and Napoleon. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

checkmark 

Lew

clipperhawaii

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:31 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 1):
I don't think anyone agrees with the fact of having a billionaire who owns 90% of the nations media at it's head.

That is for sure. No matter what you think about Berlusconi, having such influence over the nations media is a bit much.

Official results showed Prodi's alliance had indeed won the lower house Chamber of Deputies by a thin margin but the outcome of the race for the equally powerful Senate was undecided. Italians did not have much of a choice in this election. The fact that they want their economy to get out of the doldrums and Berlusconi did not deliver on that is what makes Prodi a winner. The wallet speaks louder than any other issue.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"