kaddyuk

New Dell System Ordered...

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:47 pm

Well, its on its way...  Wink

Intel Viiv Pentium D 930 (3GHz, 800MHz FSB & 2x2MB Cache)
Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition
1GB RAM DDR2 533MHz
320GB Serial ATA
256MB nVidia GeForce 6800
16x DVD +/- RW
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Card
100Watt RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
13-in-1 Media Card Reader
19" LCD Flat Panel Monitor

Total Cost is just under £900... Not Bad IMO...  Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

gkirk

RE: New Dell System Ordered...

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:50 pm

Dell?
 vomit  vomit  vomit 
 Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
Dell?

But the only dell components are the Case and the Monitor...  Wink

mhodgson

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Sounds good to me - wish I could afford a new PC! Hoping to get a laptop for September, but its hardly a power PC  Sad.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

studentflyer

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Well... The monitor IIRC are Philips chips anyway, not purely Dell... I remember reading their 20" & 24" LCD widescreen share the same chip as Apple's Cinema Display (with lower price of course)...

Dell.. it's quite reliable, given that I've used it for nearly 5 years on my Laptop, and 3.5 years on my desktop. No major dramas! The only thing is that if you try to plug in internal parts that aren't approved by Dell.. it simply won't work ><. That's why I went to build my own in my latest desktop... Not happy with not being to upgrade my Dell myself. Dodgy!

Glad to hear you didn't go extreme for the value, coz Dell's known for its add-ons that will simply blow the price off!

When's your system arriving? I wonder what the performance of those 900 series Intel chips are like... given that I use the 800 series at the moment...

yooyoo

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:00 pm

I would have taken 2 Gig of RAM  Wink

I've always enjoyed DELL's product and service.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

studentflyer

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 5):
I would have taken 2 Gig of RAM

1 Gig's enough for A.Net.. surely, it doesn't take that much space, does it?

Klaus

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Too bad it's limited to only Windows...

Airliners.net Non Aviation: Macs Run Windows XP - Official

yooyoo

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting StudentFlyer (Reply 6):
1 Gig's enough for A.Net.. surely, it doesn't take that much space, does it?

I'm sure it is. But my thinking is always towards FlightSim.  Wink

Need more power !!.  Wink

studentflyer

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 8):
But my thinking is always towards FlightSim

Hmm.. it's a media centre PC...

but agree.. these days, 1 Gig is considered minute for some unexplainable reason... Lol

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Its through a "Home PC Scheme" run at work, alot of companies run them, Under an HCI scheme, a firm can loan a PC to an employee and recover the cost over time -- typically three years -- through a reduction in the annual gross salary of the employee. Once the leasing period is over, the employee can purchase the computer at a "fair market price" which, given the rapid depreciation in the cost of PCs, is likely to be very little.

So Basically i'm paying for my PC Before the tax man gets his grubby little hands on my money...  Wink Works out cheaper...

mhodgson

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting StudentFlyer (Reply 9):
but agree.. these days, 1 Gig is considered minute for some unexplainable reason... Lol

My first PC had 32mb!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 11):
My first PC had 32mb!

I remember my first computer... It was an Amiga 1200, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1200 First Released in 1992 with 2MB or RAM...  Wink

gordonsmall

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 10):

I've got news for you - the chancellor abandoned the HCI in the budget a week or so ago ........  Silly
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

studentflyer

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:35 pm

My first PC had 32mb!

Hmm.. when was this? I remember my first computer when I was 10, had 8mb.. this was 10 years ago now... The good old days, where RAM sizes now overshadows the size of HDDs back then!!!

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 10):
So Basically i'm paying for my PC Before the tax man
gets his grubby little hands on my money... Wink Works out cheaper...

thumbsup   thumbsup 

Always do it while you can!

dl021

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 pm

MY first PC was a 286 with two floppy disk drives for the operating system and for whatever I was running at the time. I had to load the operating system when I booted up, then I had to load the program I wanted to use. Then I loaded a blank disk if I wanted to save something.

I had the orange color characters for the monitor, and it made an incredible noise every time the disk drives ran.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 13):

I've got news for you - the chancellor abandoned the HCI in the budget a week or so ago ....

*Ahem* It was abolished on the 6th of April... I Signed My HCI Agreement on the 5th... Which means that i'm STILL eligible...

RichardPrice

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 12):
I remember my first computer... It was an Amiga 1200, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1200 First Released in 1992 with 2MB or RAM... Wink

Commodore 64, that had 64Kb of memory (0.0625Mb). That was awesome to program on  Smile

v jet

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 pm

I'll just stick with my 20" iMac Core Duo with 2g Ram and 500G HD that arrived at my door yesterday.  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:47 pm

Quoting V Jet (Reply 18):
I'll just stick with my 20" iMac Core Duo with 2g Ram and 500G HD that arrived at my door yesterday

Nice System  thumbsup 

yooyoo

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:56 pm

My first PC had 32mb!

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 12):
First Released in 1992 with 2MB or RAM...

And remember the prices $$$ for RAM  eek 

mhodgson

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Actually, now I think, we did have a Commodore 64. But I recall the 32mb RAM PC as the first as I never really used the C64.

runway23

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:03 pm

Have fun speaking to the Indian support techies. You will do that often with Dell equipment.

dl021

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:08 pm

Well, I don't know who I've spoken to, but Dell is much more responsive than IBM/Lenovo has been. Lenovo doesn't give a rats ass whether you're well taken care of and Dell not only cares but they demonstrate that they care.

Lenovo screwed up a large order for my business, and then refused to call me back. I had people from their sales department act rudely and refuse to help. They also lied to me in an effort to stall me until the order actually showed up.

Dell got my next order and something got left off. I called, ready for trouble after my Lenovo experience, and the guy at Dell sent the item to me free of charge overnight. I can't ask for more than that.

Dell seems more interested in taking care of customers than any other computer company out there, and that's not me talking badly about HP (who has some of my business).
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

mhodgson

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 22):
Have fun speaking to the Indian support techies. You will do that often with Dell equipment.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Dell. I have owned a Dell computer for over 2 years without problems (and the PC is still working fine in my brothers possesion). The only problem is when I bought a printer, and the trial cartridge they sent was broken - so they replaced it with a proper one (and I had only paid £10 for the printer).

RichardPrice

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:12 pm

We buy Dell equipment, and Ive had to ring them twice - never had a non British person answer, and never waited longer than a minute.

Excellent service.

And no, we dont even buy that much - 3 or 4 systems a year.

casinterest

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:16 pm

I've owned dells for the past 7 years and never had a problem upgrading them, even with cheap generic products.

They are reliable, and I have never had to call tech support.
Albeit i have owned computers since I was 7 and would generally just annoy the hell out of whatever idiot Tier 1 tech support person I got, American, indian, or swahilli.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Dougloid

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Got to agree here. We've got a Dell desktop, been working 12-14 hours a day for 2 years, never a problem. I turn it on at 7:00 am and it gets shut down when I hit the sack. The total maintenance has been to take it outside a couple times and use compressed air to blow the dust and cat fur out of the fan and the slots on the keyboard.

It runs so quietly I do not know it's operating most of the time.

The system restore feature in XP saved my ass from a meltdown not too long ago. I was interested in seeing if I could ditch Norton and made the mistake of loading another antivirus program at the same time. Bad idea.

The two programs got into a slugfest, neither would let the computer boot until they were done arguing. I could get to the desktop but that was about it. After about twenty hard reboots, I decided I'd just reload the system software and lose two years worth of work. I couldn't even boot from the CD.

So I figure, I'll create some XP boot floppies (I ordered it with a floppy drive for just such an eventuality. I restarted and then went to my backup computer to make the floppies.

About two hours later I was ready, and I saw the desktop on the Dell. It seemed as if I could navigate a little. It took me a while to get to system restore because the two programs were still duking it out. However I did, pulled it back from the edge....Jeez.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:59 pm

I'm a little more computer literate than yourself and can fix any problems myself... they only time i might need to call them is for a replacement... other than that, i can handle it myself  Wink

runway23

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 28):
I'm a little more computer literate than yourself and can fix any problems myself... they only time i might need to call them is for a replacement... other than that, i can handle it myself

Ah your typical charm is still as present as always.

As much as I'd like to, I don't feel like replacing hardware which thanks to dell breaks down.

Having had two dell pc's i've had the following things break down: 3 DVD-drives, 2 HDDs, 1 RAM, 1 video card, 1 floppy, 2 motherboards.

Add to that the fools who sent out a pc where none of the following were actually connected: -2 DVD-Rom drives and 1 floppy drive.

In addition, foolish tech person advising to just replace parts on a carpet (fortunately I am not as foolish as to do everything people tell me). Also tech support are generally clueless and rude.

I think all of this just shows the terrible build quality and low cost operation which Dell leads. I've got enough reasons to stay well clear of that shoddy company's procedures.

kaddyuk

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 29):
Ah your typical charm is still as present as always

Of Course!

Having had two dell pc's i've had the following things break down: 3 DVD-drives, 2 HDDs, 1 RAM, 1 video card, 1 floppy, 2 motherboards.

Also tech support are generally clueless and rude.

I think they were trying to tell you something...

I think all of this just shows the terrible build quality and low cost operation which Dell leads. I've got enough reasons to stay well clear of that shoddy company's procedures.

I know several people who have had NO problems what so ever with Dell Computers. Also with my computer being on a Lease Agreement, if it breaks, i say "Send Me A New One" and it shall be done

Goldenshield

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:53 am

I bought a XPS400 back in December. It's been working great—except for the randomly rare BSOD from my audio driver. I had to buy a third party SATA/PATA converter to add in a new SATA hard drive, and had to mount that up near the CD-ROM drives (good thing I didn't get the media reader) because the converter was just large enough to keep the shell from closing when mounted where it was supposed to be.

[Edited 2006-04-11 21:23:14]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:04 am

I cant believe some people blame Dell for horrible build quality when a HD fails...FFS people, HDs fail, its an everyday occurance and most people are too dumb to realize the same Seagate or WD HD goes into an eMachines and a Alienware.

ba757

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:02 am

Dell are probably the best built PC's out there - I have had a few, as well as using them at work, and we very rarely have problems with them.

Actually the only problem I have ever had (and still do) is that the DVD drive keeps becoming unbalanced in my laptop, probably due to it been hauled about a lot. No big deal.

And for anyone who thinks dealing with Dell technical support is bad, or that Dell build inferior quality products, try dealing with HP! I wouldn't ever personally buy a HP product - especially their computers.

Adam

itsjustme

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 28):

I'm a little more computer literate than yourself and can fix any problems myself.

And take a chance on prematurely terminating any warranties at the same time? Why run the risk of doing that? Also, if you fix the problem yourself, you're potentially hiding a problem that could be a glitch with the system which Dell might want to know about.

kaddyuk

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 34):
And take a chance on prematurely terminating any warranties at the same time? Why run the risk of doing that? Also, if you fix the problem yourself, you're potentially hiding a problem that could be a glitch with the system which Dell might want to know about.

Reinstalling Drivers, Dropping Back in XP and clearing viruses wont void any warranty and that is about as deep as Dell Tech Support will be able to help me out... Anything more serious than that is really a hardware error and as i said earlier, if i have any of those, i'll simply send the system back, i've got next working day replacement if that happens...

itsjustme

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 35):
Reinstalling Drivers, Dropping Back in XP and clearing viruses wont void any warranty and that is about as deep as Dell Tech Support

Your earlier post said you could fix "any problems" yourself. That could mean anything from removal of a simple virus (which of course would not void any warranties) to opening up the case and removing and reinstalling the motherboard (which, I believe would void any current warranties).

LOT767-300ER

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 34):

Im not sure if you build your own machines or what not (like I do) but if you have any computer building literacy you will fix the problem faster than warranty without waiting for a month for your computer to come back...warranties are useless except on laptop motherboards and screens.

itsjustme

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 37):
m not sure if you build your own machines or what not (like I do) but if you have any computer building literacy you will fix the problem faster than warranty without waiting for a month for your computer to come back...warranties are useless except on laptop motherboards and screens.

Nope, don't build my own computers. I had a desktop motherboard go bad on me a year or so ago. It was diagnosed via a 15 minute phone call to tech support and I had a replacement machine in 48 hours (it would have been the next day but I couldn't be home to sign for the delivery) . So your statement that warranties are "useless" doesn't apply to me. Try your generalizations elsewhere.

KevinL1011

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:03 pm

I've owned PC's since the Tandy and Commodore wars. I now own several Dells due to their hardware flexibility and reliability (except for the track sticks on their laptops).

Funny thing is.....even a 3Ghz processor doesn't appear to load Windows any faster than my 400mhz P1. It seems that as processors get faster, MS loads more applications into the Windows start up.

Dell is particularly bad about throwing in a bunch of crap on start up. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT load all the Dell proprietary software and IP programs. Dell Jukebox is a particularly bad piece of crap. A lot of programs are trialware and are a pain in the ass every time you start up having pop ups saying your trial period has expired or asking you to register the product.

The last Dell I bought did not come with device driver discs. Instead, they included a piece of cardboard made to look like a disc with a message saying to obtain drivers from their website. If your ethernet adapter driver gets screwed, good luck. I burned a backup on disc immediately.

[Edited 2006-04-12 11:19:40]
474218, Carl, You will be missed.