iamcanadian

Mormonism: How Much Do You Know About It?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:53 am

I am a lifetime Christian that grew up in a Christian home, goes to church regularly, and I continue to deepen my faith. I recently stopped by Salt Lake City, Utah, and paid a visit to the Mormon Temple.

As many of you who have been there know, they offer a guided tour of the facility, and introduce you to their Mormon beliefs. I took this tour with an unbiased and open mind, already familiar with many of the Mormon beliefs and practices.

What I found intriguing about this tour was how vaguely they outlined the Mormon religion. The information they did explain was basically taken straight out of the Bible, not really elaborating on many of their ideas of who Jesus was, and what happens after we die. If I wasn't already a Christian, and didn't have an understanding of the Mormon religion, I probably would have been more interested in joining the Mormon community based on the ideas of Christianity they gave.

I was just curious as to whether or not the A.Net Mormons (If there are any out there???) know any deeper information about the Mormon religion, and if they could indulge me in what they do know...

Regards,

Mike
Shut up and calculate.

MDorBust

RE: Mormonism: How Much Do You Know About It?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 am

Mormons are the ones who are right and will get into heaven, everyone else goes to hell.

Other than that, I'm going to stay well clear of this thread as any discussion of Joseph Smith will bring up some heated charges.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

MD-90

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Iamcanadian (Thread starter):
What I found intriguing about this tour was how vaguely they outlined the Mormon religion.

I've had six formal visits with missionaries, and that is always how they start out. They don't tell you the weirder stuff until you seem committed. I reckon they don't want to scare people off. I'm interested to see the Salt Lake Temple myself. We're going there in July, and I hope the tabernacle will be open again by then.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):
Mormons are the ones who are right and will get into heaven

Gotta have a temple recommend for the best degree of heaven!

iamcanadian

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 am

Mormons are the ones who are right and will get into heaven, everyone else goes to hell.

What proof does this claim have? In my opinion, seeing as they use both the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon, and COUNTLESS articles in the Book of Mormon contradict the Bible, what makes it right?
Shut up and calculate.

SlamClick

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:29 am

I know how to wear a necktie and how to ride a bicycle.
I like Jell-O

that's about it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 3):
What proof does this claim have?

Matt and Trey told me so.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

MD-90

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 am

I'm actually about to go to Institute in 15 minutes. I normally never go, because it's usually boring, but tonight sounded like it might be good.

iamcanadian

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
I know how to wear a necktie and how to ride a bicycle.
I like Jell-O

Hey! Me too! Maybe Christianity and Mormonism really ARE the same!... Wink
Shut up and calculate.

bushpilot

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:37 am

I know of a copy of the Book of Mormon that I grabbed from a Provo Utah hotel room that made into my birthday party bonfire, but thats all I know.

jaysit

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:50 am

I've tricked with 4 Mormons. All hot, strapping, athletic fellows. Mormon boys are horny as hell.

The memories of my first Mormon stay with me. I have to say I was dissappointed that he didn't have on his Mormon underwear, but in the course of 4 days of "dating" (on a ski trip out West), he modelled them for me once as a lark. Sort of like a union suit in rather drab colors, but he looked smashing in them and out of them. Big grin

I learned that Gladys Knight and the Pips are Mormons. Now that blew me away.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

andessmf

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:52 am

Aah, jeez guys, I hope those Mormons dont put a hit team on your asses for insulting their religion.  sarcastic 

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
I like Jell-O

The Mormons I know grew up eating lime Jell-O in a decorative mold with hot dogs in it.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 9):
Mormon boys are horny as hell.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
International Homo of Mystery

futuresdpdcop

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:57 am

I hear most mormons are hung like horses. Maybe that is just a rumor however.

jaysit

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting FutureSDPDcop (Reply 12):
I hear most mormons are hung like horses. Maybe that is just a rumor however.

The ones I met did pretty well in that department.

I'm sure there are exceptions though. Like Orrin Hatch.

AirCop

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 am

Suggested reading:
Under the Banner of Faith: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer
Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found my Faith by Martha Beck

Living in an area controlled poltically by Mormons I would like to point out a few things. 1. They are not the friendly people as seen on their ads. 2. If you're not a mormon, forget being friends. 3. Women are treated as second class citizens. 4. Sexual abuse - Father raping, molesting daughters is rampant in the Mormon faith. 5. They believe the good mormons will arise from the dead (i.e the caskets will come out of the ground, open up and they will walk out as if nothing as happen). 6. The religion was started by Joseph Smith a con man. 7. In order of importance is the Book of Mormon, D& C's (rulings from SLC) and then the Bible. (Most mormons are ill equipped to speak at length as to what is in the Bible.)

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 7):
Maybe Christianity and Mormonism really ARE the same!...

Most churchs do not accept Mormonism as a faith.

jaysit

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:54 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 14):
Living in an area controlled poltically by Mormons I would like to point out a few things. 1. They are not the friendly people as seen on their ads. 2. If you're not a mormon, forget being friends.

Aren't you generalizing here? I have worked with and for 2 Mormons, and while they don't live in an area controlled politically by Mormons (they both live in tolerant and liberal Montgomery County, MD), they are practicing Mormons who are friendly, inspiring and jovial. Both have been excellent mentors to those who worked for them.

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 2):
They don't tell you the weirder stuff until you seem committed.

Coming from an agnostic perspective, the "weird" stuff in Mormonism isn't any weirder than what other organized religions believe (talking snakes, two of every animal on one boat, creationism, etc.).

I've tricked with 4 Mormons. All hot, strapping, athletic fellows. Mormon boys are horny as hell.

In my experience, this is absolutely true. I had several Mormon friends in jr. high/high school, and they talked frequently about how "crazy" they were going to go once they got married. I also know at least two who totally duffed the "waiting for marriage" thing to some extent, but since I think pre-marital sex is awesome, I've got no issue with that...

[Edited 2006-04-12 03:21:00]

redngold

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:53 am

The reason the Mormons were so vague about their practices, and why you could not enter the Temple, is because... they do that on purpose.

The Mormon religion is very closed and secretive. Most of the Mormon sacraments are very similar to Masonic rituals, probably because Joseph Smith, Jr., was a Mason. Mormon priests (just about any man over the age of 16, and many women) are sworn to secrecy under expectation of suicide if they divulge temple secrets and rituals, just as are Masons.

Although on the exterior Mormonism appears to be Christianity, the religion claims that it is the restoration of the Church and now relies more on the Book of Mormon than its own founder intended. Joseph Smith, Jr., said that if the Book of Mormon and the King James Bible disagreed, the Bible should take precedence. Now Mormons rely on the prophecy of their First Presidency as well as historical interpretations of scholars predominantly employed by Brigham Young University. In addition, Mormons strive to live good lives and to perfect themselves so that they can become like God - or even become a god - and rule their own celestial kingdoms. They rely more on personal experience and upbringing than on faith in Christ as a savior.

Here are some books I have read to learn this information (linked to Amazon.com):
Complete Idiot's guide to understanding Mormonism (written by a Mormon scholar who is still in the church)
Leaving the Saints by Martha Beck, a woman who left the church after living in it most of her life, who discovered that her father (a pillar of the Mormon church) had molested her with her mother's knowledge.

Websites:
http://www.mrm.org/ Mormonism Research Ministry, an evangelical Christian site
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/masonicsymbolsandtheldstemple.htm this website compares masonic symbols with LDS temple symbols

Edit: I see that AirCop already recommended Leaving the Saints... Sorry I hadn't seen that before. It is truly eye-opening!

[Edited 2006-04-12 03:55:08]
Up, up and away!

MDorBust

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 17):
sworn to secrecy under expectation of suicide if they divulge temple secrets and rituals, just as are Masons.

You've got some wierd masons in your parts...

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 pm

sworn to secrecy under expectation of suicide if they divulge temple secrets and rituals, just as are Masons.

I am a Mason and have never been required to swear to secrecy under the expectation of suicide.

Dougloid

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:18 pm

All the LDS I've ever met have been good people who live sober industrious lives, raise their families and try to get along as best they can in the world. They've had me in their homes, fed me and we helped each other out all the way through graduate school.

Kinda like you and me I guess.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 16):
In my experience, this is absolutely true. I had several Mormon friends in jr. high/high school, and they talked frequently about how "crazy" they were going to go once they got married. I also know at least two who totally duffed the "waiting for marriage" thing to some extent, but since I think pre-marital sex is awesome, I've got no issue with that...

True but what even more troubling is how hypocritical they can be. The teens are wild and crazy, but claim to be just like Jesus - really annoying. They thing because they're Mormon, they're given carte blanche to be bad cause all they have to do is say they are Mormon and everyone will think they really arent' like that.

Another thing is how they identify themselves so closely with Jesus and Christianity - yet ignore the one trait Jesus held above all. The number 1 trait Jesus was about was shunning the rich and being friendly with the poor and those who were in most need. Who do the Mormons go after? Rich white people. Don't believe me, take a drive around Las Vegas. Drive around Seven Hills, Green Valley, Snobberlin, all the new, rich, white suburban areas, and you'll find more Mormon churches than gas stations. Drive around Charleston, the NE side, old North Las Vegas, actually, anywhere east of US 95 between Sunset and Bonaza, and you won't find one church (except for the big ugly temple at the base of Sunrise Mtn). Mormons only want rich white folks to join their church, cause poor minorites won't make any money for them. One of the most racists religions in our world today.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 21):

Who do the Mormons go after? Rich white people. Don't believe me, take a drive around Las Vegas...One of the most racists religions in our world today.

That must be why they send so many missionaries to non-white countries in their prolific conversion efforts. I know that the LDS church has a history of racism (I believe they finally decided that blacks can go to heaven at some point in the 1970s), but I really doubt that any racism in the church today is based off Mormonism itself...I'm sure there are probably just as many (if not more) racists in many Christian denominations.

Also, as you may or may not know, Las Vegas was founded by Mormons, and from what I hear, they maintain a strong missionary presence there. Their abundance there shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 22):
Las Vegas was founded by Mormons

Well, they built a fort there to convert the native population, but after little success, and the fort being raided constantly, it was abandoned after 2 years. The railroad is what made Las Vegas, independent of the short-lived Mormon outpost.

http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/FactsStatistics/history.htm

redngold

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 18):
You've got some wierd masons in your parts...

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
I am a Mason and have never been required to swear to secrecy under the expectation of suicide.

Perhaps that's been removed from the ritual. I guess it was too controversial... I have read this in more than one source (none of which I can recall at the moment, but if you wish I will try to backtrack to them.)
Up, up and away!

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 23):

Well, they built a fort there to convert the native population, but after little success, and the fort being raided constantly, it was abandoned after 2 years. The railroad is what made Las Vegas, independent of the short-lived Mormon outpost.

It's not Salt Lake City by any means (that probably goes without saying), but the percentage of Mormons in Vegas is still markedly higher than in other areas of the country. You'll notice that it falls within the Jello Belt... Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jello_Belt

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 25):
Jello Belt

rotfl  The Jello Belt. I've also heard SLC has the highest per capita consumption of Spaghetti-O's. Some combination!

Quoting Redngold (Reply 24):
I have read this in more than one source

Going back two generations before mine, no one's ever mentioned it. I would trust those who've gone through the rituals more than what some book says.

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 23):

My dad was born and raised here - he was baptized a Mormon, but to this day, the only reason he did it was because they were the only sports facilities in town at the time - it was his only access to youth social clubs - as for their beliefs, he never bought into them and thinks their religion is a joke for the most part. The generations before him on that side of my family have strong Mormon ties and the rest of us younger generations really don't keep any contact with them. One of my dad's uncles (who is still a strong Mormon) showed up out of the blue to a family gathering, and all I remember him doing was walking around with a professional quality camera, taking a bunch of pictures, not really talking to anyone and just leaving. I'm embarrassed to think that my name is on their records (because they think they owe it to the world to "baptize" other family members who aren't Mormon - that's why they're are so big into geneology - helps to inflate the numbers).
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

lentigomaligna

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm a mormon...technically. I grew up in the church but never believed in the doctrine, and made this known to my family about 2 years ago (the expectation of going on a mission at 19 expedited the process a tad), it took a while to be friendly again, but we're still close.

The mormon doctrines and mormon culture are SO complex, and very different, and what is publicly told to non-mormons is nil. Mormons don't worship the devil but it's not this happy-family religion the ads portray it to be either.

For some people, mormonism works, and that's great, but it screws a hell of a lot of people up too.

So, I'll address a few points here, very haphazardly.

The Mormon religion is very closed and secretive

No, no, no, it's not secret, it's just...sacred, and not to be talked about on pain of going to hell.

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 21):
Who do the Mormons go after? Rich white people

I have to really disagree with this statement. I think they do, but also they actively convert the lower class. I think the LDS church like having richer people to seem prestigious and normal, but I don't see targeting at the rich.

Most people converting to mormonism are (a) not told the whole truth about the religion and/or (b) very confused about life, hence the extremely low convert retention rate of the LDS church.

Mormon priests (just about any man over the age of 16, and many women) are sworn to secrecy under expectation of suicide if they divulge temple secrets and rituals, just as are Masons.

Not completely true. Only males can be priests, I'm one, actually I'm an "Elder", a rank achieved at 18. Further, only adult women and men with the higher "melchiezidek" priesthood (I know I misspelled that and don't care) can enter the temple, and only then with a temple recommend. I've never seen the inside and don't care to ever. The whole throat-slitting thing was taken out of the temple in the 90's. But yes, the Mormon Temple has STRONG roots in Masonic rituals.

They rely more on personal experience and upbringing than on faith in Christ as a savior.

From what I've seen the LDS church is ALL about faith, too much for my taste. Though, yes, the primary goal of an LDS person is to become a god or godess. LDS people believe: "As man is, God once was, as God is, man may be."

No, only people who've fallen extremely far (i.e. former mormons, though this is vague) will go to "Outer Darkness", according to Mormon Doctrine. Most people would end up in either the Telestial Kingdom (said to be as good as Earth), or the slightly better Terrestrial Kingdom, whereas perfect Mormons (including those baptized after death, and many many are) go to one of the three levels of the Celestial Kingdom. Or at least that's how I understand it, the Mormon Doctrine is vague on the matter.

BTW...Mormons DO still believe in the practice of polygamy, even if they have temporarily abandoned the practice.

Mormons believe that Native Americans were Jews from Jerusalem who had a curse upon them --- that's where my BS meter went off at 12 years old.

[Edited 2006-04-12 07:05:37]

[Edited 2006-04-12 07:08:23]

lentigomaligna

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 25):
Jello Belt

rotfl 

Being from Utah, can't believe I've never heard that one Big grin

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 27):

My dad was born and raised here - he was baptized a Mormon, but to this day, the only reason he did it was because they were the only sports facilities in town at the time - it was his only access to youth social clubs - as for their beliefs, he never bought into them and thinks their religion is a joke for the most part.

Interesting! I actually played on a LDS church basketball team for awhile simply because (as stated before in this thread) I had a lot of Mormon friends and it was a pretty good time...I never had any problems with my paganism, and if my memory serves me correctly, non-Mormon participation wasn't out of the norm. I will share a fond memory from a game where my jumper just wasn't falling...

gunsontheroof (taking a seat on the bench): "golly gosh" (or something else expressing frustration.)
mormon kid: "what's wrong?"
gunsontheroof: "i'm not playing very well today."
mormon kid: "maybe you should talk to the bishop about it..."
gunsontheroof: "........yeah...i'll do that..."

redngold

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 28):
No, no, no, it's not secret, it's just...sacred, and not to be talked about on pain of going to hell.

And that, I argue, is why LDS is not Christian. Christ welcomed everyone and never kept anything secret. He threw open the doors to heaven and to the temple alike. No secrets except for the mind of God Himself.
Up, up and away!

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 31):
And that, I argue, is why LDS is not Christian. Christ welcomed everyone and never kept anything secret. He threw open the doors to heaven and to the temple alike. No secrets except for the mind of God Himself.

I think the fact that they believe in more than one god exempts them from most (if not all) definitions of Christianity.

lentigomaligna

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:13 pm

And that, I argue, is why LDS is not Christian

I think the argument as to whether or not the LDS church is Christian is moot, it all depends on your definition of what "Christianity" is, whether a religion need to be monotheistic (Mormonism is not), etc., or whether a belief in Christ is enough. An argument could certainly be made either way, so I think the whole debate is pointless.

Edit: sp.

[Edited 2006-04-12 07:16:12]

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 32):
I think the fact that they believe in more than one god exempts them from most (if not all) definitions of Christianity.

Plus the fact that Joe Smith is deified the same way Jesus is - that complete contradicts John 3:16 - "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one goes to Heaven BUT through me." This is the one verse that Christians use to define ourselves - Jesus is the only road to Heaven and through no one else.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 34):
that complete contradicts John 3:16 - "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one goes to Heaven BUT through me."

That's not John 3:16

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):

Correct. I'm pretty sure it's Austin 3:16.

(Jr. High flashback anyone?)

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):

My apologies, I just looked it up on www.bible.com to correct myself:

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 14:6 - "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 36):
Correct. I'm pretty sure it's Austin 3:16.

Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 38):

With Jell-O or Spaghetti-O's?

johnboy

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:02 pm

I have an aunt who live in Mesa, Arizona (which has a high population of Mormons).

She has told me that the Mormons in her neighborhood are nice to a point, i.e. they will chat and say hi to Gentiles, but are extremely clannish with one another. No deep friendships with Gentiles. Ever.

Also, strangely enough, all the houses in her neighborhood were built with a
patio "closet" that is air conditioned and is supposed to be used as a pantry to stock food.

I think a lot of this "behavior" comes from a siege mentality, actual or perceived, which the LDS Church tacitly encourages.

HPLASOps

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 38):

With Jell-O or Spaghetti-O's?

As the Rock would say "It doesn't matter wha tI whooped your ass with!"

Sorry, I thought you were in the mood to trade late 90's wrestling lines.

Dougloid

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 28):

Hmmmmmmmmm. I went to a Russian Orthodox mass at a monastery one time a few months ago. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the barrier that they weren't sharing. I got there at 7:00 am and mass was going on. At noon, when I left, it was still going on.

QANTASforever

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
They've had me in their homes, fed me and we helped each other out all the way through graduate school.

Hmm. I'm starting to see a pattern emerging.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

racko

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:03 pm

Just about as much as I learned during the Southpark episode about Mormons.

lentigomaligna

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 45):

The history of persecution of Mormons in this country was long and bloody-the Mormon trail runs south of here and one can see the ruts in the ground from the wheelbarrows to this day. They've reason to be suspicious of the rest of us.

Realize also, mormons weren't always the helpless victims of persecution their history says they were either.

Dougloid

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 46):

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
They've had me in their homes, fed me and we helped each other out all the way through graduate school.

Hmm. I'm starting to see a pattern emerging.

QFF

Jeez, I HOPE not LOL. I've got enough problems.

Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Silly  Silly

SlamClick

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am

This has been an interesting thread.

I know a bit more about LDS than I mentioned all the way back up in Reply #4 but my knowledge is that of a gentile-in-contact. My wife has a family tree full of Mormons and Jack-Mormons and we have gone on "the lemonade circuit" just about every year we've been together, to visit her relatives. But that is for another post.

I think I've gained some insight into religion in general here. Specifically the nature of religion and cults.

I think it might just come down to this: If chatter about your faith just rolls off your back, it is probably a religion or simple faith.

If you get angry, if you carry signs, if you hurl firebombs, if you make death threats if people get banned if voices get raised and people are called names, if you object to words used by outsiders to describe you, if employers will take disciplinary action if you criticise it, if lawyers are drawn like pistols, if wars are waged then it is probably a cult.

It might not have been intended to be a cult. That might just be an aberration caused by the mental state of the current members, but I think I do believe that those are defining characteristics of a cult.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

HPLASOps

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:52 am

No, my friend, what Benson speaks volumes of is the failure of his faith and his disaffection and alienation. That's tough to deal with. Had it been me, probably, it would be enough to say "I don't attend any more" as I do when people ask me about my membership in the Church of England. I don't attend anymore. Nuff said.

The Church of England doesn't get involved in affecting peoples' lives the way the Mormon church does. The Mormon church wants to know every little detail - not just everything about you but everything there is to know about all of your family members, even the ones who aren't Mormon. I have read other stories about people who try to escape and they end up getting hounded and harrassed by other members of the church - they get villified and ex-communicated like no one else. If I don't go to my methodist church for awhile, I may get a phone call once in awhile just to make sure I'm still alive, but I don't get death threats, people coming to my house to spite me, nothing like that. Literally, they take themselves way too seriously to the point where they don't want anyone thinking the slightest bit different than what SLC hq wants them to think - cause otherwise someone will see how much bullshit their cult is and ruin the whole game. If the Church of England does that to their constituents, enlighten me, otherwise, accept that Mormonism is on a different level than the COE.

lentigomaligna

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:16 am

No, my friend, what Benson speaks volumes of is the failure of his faith and his disaffection and alienation. That's tough to deal with. Had it been me, probably, it would be enough to say "I don't attend any more" as I do when people ask me about my membership in the Church of England. I don't attend anymore. Nuff said.

You really have to be part of it and leave to understand what it's like. I don't associate with the ex-mormon people because I don't want to be considered "anti-mormon", and I don't really hold any ill-will against the church, but I can certainly understand the justifiable anger of many people coming out of the church