cxsjr

Northern Cyprus Passport Stamp - Help!

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 am

Hi folks,

I have a stamp in my passport, dating back to Dec 2002, done when I landed in Geçitkale in Northern Cyprus.

I want to travel to Santorini in Greece this year but I've heard there can sometimes be 'issues' if you have a Northern Cypriot stamp in your passport. I've since discovered that I should've asked them to stamp a separate sheet in my passport but it's too late for that now.

Does anyone know, is it still a problem, Greece now being part of the EU and all that or should I 'lose' my current passport and apply for a new one?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

MYT332

RE: Northern Cyprus Passport Stamp - Help!

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Thread starter):
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Santorini? Hell, all they'll do it check your photo page. Don't worry about it.
One Life, Live it.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Thread starter):
I want to travel to Santorini in Greece this year but I've heard there can sometimes be 'issues' if you have a Northern Cypriot stamp in your passport.

Don't show your passport but only your ID card at the passpot control, problem solved.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HAVACI

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:15 am

Hey,

Where did you visit in North Cyprus, i used to live there - beautiful country!!

Did you enjoy it??

Gaz

greasespot

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:23 am

Simple......Lose the pasport and get a new one issued...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

lewis

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:36 am

You can get to Greece from the UK with some other form of ID and even if you don't, I suppose nobody will even check for the stamp in Greece. I am not sure though if you cannot come into Greece because you have visited northern Cyprus, I have never heard it before.

Some people say that if you have a stamp from Northern Cyprus in your passport you will be unwelcome in Greece or The Republic of Cyprus. We have no evidence that this was ever the case and it certainly is not the case today.
www.aboutnorthcyprus.com/index.php/f...ractical-north-cyprus-information/

mhodgson

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 2):
Don't show your passport but only your ID card at the passpot control, problem solved.

UK isn't a part of Schengen.

That said, I've only ever seen EU passport control check the photo page, so I wouldn't imagine there would be any issues
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 6):
UK isn't a part of Schengen.

Irrelevant. You can travel from the UK to Greece (and vv.) with your ID card only, a passport is not required.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

cxsjr

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting HAVACI (Reply 3):
Where did you visit in North Cyprus, i used to live there - beautiful country!!

Did you enjoy it??

We had a thoroughly enjoyable time although it was Christmas and the weather was only half kind to us; it rained sometimes, it was sunny others.

Stayed in Kyrenia and travelled all over N.Cyprus from one end to the other by car - would love to go again in the summer!

Where did you live?

gkirk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 7):
Irrelevant. You can travel from the UK to Greece (and vv.) with your ID card only, a passport is not required.

Nope. You need a passport
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:24 am

Even more irrelevant, given that we don't have ID cards. At least, not yet.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

TransIsland

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 9):

I have no idea what a UK ID card is like, but with a German ID card, I can travel throughout the EU - Schengen or not. Even numerous non-EU countries are happy with the ID card only (Turkey, Tunisia, Switzerland, for instance).
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 9):

You don't need a passport to enter Greece when you are holding UK (or any other EU) citizenship, see this link.

Quote:
Passport valid for at least three months beyond length of stay required by all except:
(a) 1. EU/EEA nationals (EU + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and Swiss nationals holding a valid national ID card.

An ID card is enough.

Patrick

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
An ID card is enough.

Patrick, WE DO NOT HAVE ID CARDS IN THE UK!!!!!!

OK?  Wink

TheSonntag

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:31 am

The brits are right, ID cards are known everywhere, but not in the UK.

Anyway, they have to allow you into the country, because you are a EU citizen. So I would think it is no issue. But I have no experience at all.

MYT332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 14):
The brits are right

We always are.
One Life, Live it.

TheSonntag

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 15):
We always are.

Not in 1966 when you claimed it was a goal Big grin

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 13):
Patrick, WE DO NOT HAVE ID CARDS IN THE UK!!!!!!

Ok, ok, I didn't see reply #10 because I was writing my reply.

So you guys don't have any "carry-on" identification documents except passports?

What is when the police stop you and ask for your name, address, etc.? What do you show them? What do you show a bank when you want to open up an account there? Your birth certificate?

And does that mean that all British citizen who want to travel abroad (even to Germany or Ireland) need a passport?

Patrick

Banco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 18):
What is when the police stop you and ask for your name, address, etc.? What do you show them?

Tell them to piss off and bother someone else unless they've got a damn good reason to stop us, usually.

What do you show a bank when you want to open up an account there? Your birth certificate?

Yep. Plus passport, utility bills, something like that.

And does that mean that all British citizen who want to travel abroad (even to Germany or Ireland) need a passport?

Not Ireland, as there's a long-standing customs union. But you do need some form of photographic ID to board a flight now, so usually people take a passport anyway.

Sabena332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 am

Thanks for the information, very interesting that the UK doesn't give out ID cards, I heard that for the first time today.

Quoting Banco (Reply 19):
But you do need some form of photographic ID to board a flight now

Now I also understand why Ryanair is making a big fuss about "photo ID's" on their website.

Patrick

[Edited 2006-04-12 21:59:42]

MYT332

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 am

What is when the police stop you and ask for your name, address, etc.?

A Driving licence but hell, we don't all have those and a provisional licence in the UK sometimes isn't even valid ID to get into a nightclub! Trust me on that one.  irked 
One Life, Live it.

cfalk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:31 am

So you guys don't have any "carry-on" identification documents except passports?

Most countries will issue to you an official ID, credit card size, and just as official and hard to copy as a passport.

I understand that the US has been debating the introduction of just this sort of thing, but surprisngly you have a lot of people who are vigerously protesting the idea. C'mon guys, but drivers' licences and student IDs are NOT a satisfactory form of ID.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

MD11Engineer

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 22):

Most countries will issue to you an official ID, credit card size, and just as official and hard to copy as a passport.

I understand that the US has been debating the introduction of just this sort of thing, but surprisngly you have a lot of people who are vigerously protesting the idea. C'mon guys, but drivers' licences and student IDs are NOT a satisfactory form of ID.

I think it would be acceptable if the ID card just showed your name, date and place of birth and a picture, but most continental ID's also include your adress, to be officially entered every time you change your residence, since most continental European countries have laws (dating back to Napoleon) that every citizen has to be registered at his place of residence.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

cfalk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 23):
I think it would be acceptable if the ID card just showed your name, date and place of birth and a picture,

Why do you want to hide your address?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

FrancoBlanco

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 19):
Tell them to piss off and bother someone else unless they've got a damn good reason to stop us, usually.

And if they do have a damn good reason, what do you show them? Your a**?

Sebastian

[Edited 2006-04-12 23:09:01]
'Pointless!' - NY Times

cxsjr

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 18):What do you show a bank when you want to open up an account there? Your birth certificate?
Yep. Plus passport, utility bills, something like that.

.... as an aside, what really pi§§es me off is when you tell them you don't have any utility bills as prrof of address to open said account because you signed up for on-line billing; they WON'T accept it - "YOU MUST HAVE A UTILITY BILL"?!; 3 months later and they're trying to sign you up for paperless statements on your new account - wankers!!!

cornish

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 pm

Getting back to Northern Cyprus (and yes I know I'm the last person who can complain about a thread getting off track  Wink ), I shall be off to Cyprus with my partner (staying in Pafos on the Greek side) in a couple of weeks time. Been loads of time before but fancy going to the North this time now that the border is more open.

If we were to go there for the day, where would anyone recommend going to (we will have car)? Is Kyrenia the best place to head or are there are places that we should explore while we are there?
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

cxsjr

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 26):
but fancy going to the North this time now that the border is more open

Not sure how much more open it is right now? I thought there was a mention of reopening the border but it fell through; can't say for sure.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to the very tip in the North East of the island, quite remote so takes a while. Famagusta is quite a place to visit too, and very hard to believe that this relative ghost town is just a stones throw from Ayia Napa - probably one of the more 'lively' places on the planet!

Kyrenia has a wonderful harbour with plenty of nice places to sit and have luch, that's if it doesn't rain like it did when we went!

airxliban

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 26):
If we were to go there for the day, where would anyone recommend going to (we will have car)? Is Kyrenia the best place to head or are there are places that we should explore while we are there?

By and large I agree with Cxsjr - Kyrenia is really the only sort of touristy thing worth seeing that you can't see on the Greek side, at least in my opinion. Famagusta is nice and quiet but if you can get that on the Greek side as well.

As far as the border is concerned, I wasn't aware that it had changed any since 2003. Basically what happens is that you present yourself on the Greek side and present your passport, then they give you a slip of paper and then you walk about 100 or 200 metres through UN territory to the right of the Ledra Hotel and eventually you end up on the other side where you present the piece of paper again. At that point, it's effectively like being in Turkey in as much as people speak Turkish and drive on the right.

If I remember rightly Kyrenia is something like 35-45 minutes from the Green line and it used to cost 10 CYP in the taxi. Not bad when you consider that a trip from Larnaca Airport to Limassol will cost you 2.5-3x that.

Enjoy your time in Paphos.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

cornish

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:58 am

Thanks cxsjr and AirxLiban.

As for the border - my Dad goes out there about three times a year as he has a place out there. He's been over the border a few times now and says it is much easier to get across than it used to be. Hopefully that is proving to be the case  Smile
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

HAVACI

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 8):
We had a thoroughly enjoyable time although it was Christmas and the weather was only half kind to us; it rained sometimes, it was sunny others.

Stayed in Kyrenia and travelled all over N.Cyprus from one end to the other by car - would love to go again in the summer!

Where did you live?

Hi Mate,

Lived in Lapta for a while (you might be familiar with that area) and then lived over in Gaziveren (near Guzelyurt) for a year or so. I went to school in Kyrenia, its a fantastic town, loved evey minute of it!! I cant ever go back there though cos i need to do my military service, which is an absolute no no for me! (i dont want to be stuck in the Turkish army for 2 years when i have a settled live here) It's such a shame though cos i really miss it over there and my dad still lives out there.

I hope you get a chance to go over there again soon my friend! Atalasjet have just started services to Ercan, mayber you can sample their A320s!! I've heard they are a really nice airline with really good service (better than KTHY)

All the best

Gareth