gkirk

Scotland And The Four Nations Of Britain

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/state/nations/four_nations_01.shtml

Just found this article, and it makes for an interesting read.
Your thoughts?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cornish

RE: Scotland And The Four Nations Of Britain

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Pile of steaming cack.

There are five distinctive nations of Britain  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 1):
Pile of steaming cack.

There are five distinctive nations of Britain Wink

Och, I was hoping this could at least stay a serious topic for at least 20 replies  Yeah sure
Oh well  Sad
 Wink

cornish

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 2):
Och, I was hoping this could at least stay a serious topic for at least 20 replies

I am serious  grumpy 

Anyway I can see a distinct irony in that remark of yours  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Anywya, in all seriousness, it's quite a well written piece and has enlightened me about a few things which I didn't know about my bonnie country  Smile

Dougloid

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 pm

The mistake that some folks in Scotland made a number of times was enlisting the aid of the French against Englishmen. That almost always turns out badly.

Of course, the american revolution was a continuation of the war between France and Britain, and I'm figuring the only reason Farmer George wasn't interested in a real fight was he had other things on his mind, America was a howling wilderness (some say it still is) inhabited by trolls (still is some say), and Texas hadn't been invented yet.

stirthepot   stirthepot   stirthepot 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

gkirk

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 5):
The mistake that some folks in Scotland made a number of times was enlisting the aid of the French against Englishmen. That almost always turns out badly.

Indeed, that is quite embarrassing  embarrassed 

RobertNL070

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Nice Scottish touch to your post there Dougloid: MacBeth's three witches.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
interesting

well, and what, in percentage-points, are the shares of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern-Ireland in the population of Great Britain ?

Banco

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
Scotland And The Four Nations Of Britain

Why would anyone write a title that only mentions the least important nation of the four?   

Anyway, it's wrong. There are only three nations in Britain.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 9):
well, and what, in percentage-points, are the shares of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern-Ireland in the population of Great Britain ?

Well, the total population is 60 million, of which (roughly - from memory) the English comprise 50 million, the Scots 5 million, the Welsh 3 1/2 million, and the Northerm Irish 1 1/2 million.

Which would work out as:

English 83%
Scots 8%
Welsh 6%
Northern Irish 2.5%

BUT (and a big but) this is based on the populations of the constituent countries. Many of those in England are not necessarily English. England is the country which has by far the highest proportion of immigrants and assimilated peoples, and the point here is that "British" is an inclusive term much, much more than English, Scottish, Welsh and so on. So, a fairly sizeable minority of those living in England would call themselves British, but not necessarily English - and that's before you include Scots, Welsh and Irish living here.

[Edited 2006-04-13 21:06:42]
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:18 am

And FWIW, there are over 45 million Scots living around the world outside of Scotland.
Including that numpty Sean Connery, who recently said he would never live in Scotland again, despite calling himself a patriot  Yeah sure

mhodgson

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
And FWIW, there are over 45 million Scots living around the world outside of Scotland.

The sensible ones  Wink
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

kaddyuk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:33 am

there are over 45 million Scots living around the world

And every one of them should be Hung, Drawn and Quatered...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

ba757gla

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:54 am

i do hate narrow minded scots who dont care about England!!! im scottish i would happily support england football team

TheSorcerer

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 10):
There are only three nations in Britain.

Then give NI back to the irish government.  Wink

English 83%
Scots 8%

The landscape must be kept in mind. The terrain in most of scotland is a lot rougher and inhospitable than most of england.

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 14):
i do hate narrow minded scots who dont care about England!!!

Sadly there's many of them, many who think Scotland is the best country in the world and the rest are inferior.

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

gkirk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 13):

Just like yourself then?

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 14):
i do hate narrow minded scots who dont care about England!!! im scottish i would happily support england football team

Let me guess, you're a Rangers fan?  Yeah sure

Dougloid

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 8):

Indeed, who wants to fight on a battlefield cluttered with dropped weapons and soaked in urine?

Just to show you what happens to the French when they're meddling with perfidious Albion there, they went to bat, bankrolled the US, independence, 1776, everything's great, zees estoopid Engleesh, what happens in 1804? We buy Louisiana for pennies on the dollar....heh heh heh even though it is under water half the time.

stirthepot   stirthepot   stirthepot 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

IAH777

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 17):
Just to show you what happens to the French when they're meddling with perfidious Albion there, they went to bat, bankrolled the US, independence, 1776, everything's great, zees estoopid Engleesh, what happens in 1804? We buy Louisiana for pennies on the dollar....heh heh heh even though it is under water half the time

I hear that ex-FEMA Director Brown made some phone calls to Paris right after Katrina hit. Word is he was offering to trade LA back for a baguette and a wedge of Port Salut.  biggrin 

ME AVN FAN

Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:45 pm

English 83%
Scots 8%
Welsh 6%
Northern Irish 2.5%

BUT (and a big but) this is based on the populations of the constituent countries. Many of those in England are not necessarily English. England is the country which has by far the highest proportion of immigrants and assimilated peoples, and the point here is that "British" is an inclusive term much, much more than English, Scottish, Welsh and so on. So, a fairly sizeable minority of those living in England would call themselves British, but not necessarily English - and that's before you include Scots, Welsh and Irish living here.

As there also are immigrants in Scotland and Wales, their share would not go up much, while the "English" share might go down to 65%. OR, to put it the other way round, it may make Indian or Pakistani MORE important "nationalities" in Britain than the Scots !

over 45 million Scots living around the world

well, heard that there is a similar number of "Irish" in the world

[Edited 2006-04-14 13:46:37]

ba757gla

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:27 am

im british not scottish

ba747yyz

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 13):

And one must wonder with all the great things and people Scotland what has ever come out of your whole of a country (Khazakstan)? Your most famous citizen is Borat!

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):
it may make Indian or Pakistani MORE important "nationalities" in Britain than the Scots !

Well certainly more important than the NI, and of course the Welsh

Banco

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:22 pm

well, heard that there is a similar number of "Irish" in the world

It's a "descent" thing. On the same basis, God knows how many "English" there are around the world. It's meaningless.

vc10

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:52 pm

it may make Indian or Pakistani MORE important "nationalities" in Britain than the Scots !

There are very few Indian or Pakistan people living in the UK, as all immigrants take on the nationality of their new country, whereas the 4 indigenous countries of the UK, England , Wales , Scotland, and northern Ireland are the countries that form the UK so you can be Welsh and British at the same time. You cannot be Indian and British at the same time though  Yeah sure

little vc 10

MD11Engineer

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 23):
You cannot be Indian and British at the same time though

No dual citizenship possible? My daughter is both a Filipino and German citizen.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Banco

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 24):
No dual citizenship possible?

Britain allows dual citizenship. More often than not, it's the other country that doesn't.

But in terms of the "Indian" or "Pakistani" communities, they're British passport holders because it was their parents and grandparents who came here taking British citizenship at the time. Their offspring don't have the choice, and usually not the inclination, to hold another passport. They were born here, have lived here all their lives and so on. Why would they want another country's passport? They're British. I think what you have to understand as a German is that our mass immigration from the sub-continent happened many years before Germany's equivalent from places like Turkey. We're about 25 years ahead of you to a large extent.

But this is where it differs with the three home countries. Being English, Scottish or Welsh is a state of mind as much as anything else, which is why it has a much narrower focused identity than simply "British".

(I leave Northern Ireland out of that, because it opens up a whole new area!)

ME AVN FAN

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 23):
very few Indian or Pakistan people living in the UK, as all immigrants take on the nationality of their new country

"nationality" ? you in fact mean the legal nationality. which is different from personal feelings. A British passport for sure has a higher "travel-value" than an Indian, Pakistani, Turkish, Lebanese, Egyptian, Algerian or Mexican one and therefore is deemed sufficient by most.

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 23):
You cannot be Indian and British at the same time though

There are countries who accept dual citizenship, some who tolerate it and others who do NOT allow it, but people fairly often have the dual-c. also in cases where it theoretically is NOT allowed

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 24):
No dual citizenship possible? My daughter is both a Filipino and German citizen.

isn't exactly Germany one of those who are AGAINST dual citizenship ?

Quoting Banco (Reply 25):
the "Indian" or "Pakistani" communities, they're British passport holders because it was their parents and grandparents who came here taking British citizenship at the time. Their offspring don't have the choice, and usually not the inclination, to hold another passport. They were born here, have lived here all their lives and so on. Why would they want another country's passport?

as above, no need for another passport

andz

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:28 am

The mistake that some folks in Scotland made a number of times was enlisting the aid of the French against Englishmen.

That made me cringe, almost ashamed to admit I'm Scots.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
Indeed, that is quite embarrassing

checkmark 

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 8):
who wants to fight on a battlefield cluttered with dropped weapons and soaked in urine?

checkmark 

Quoting Banco (Reply 25):
Britain allows dual citizenship

I have British and South African citizenship.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

vc10

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:44 am

Can anyone tell me why a nation should allow any of it's nationals to have dual nationality, either you are British etc or you are not

little vc10

atct

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:42 am

Go WALES!

Supporting my heritage.
Trikes are for kids!

yyz717

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:51 am

Which would work out as:

English 83%
Scots 8%
Welsh 6%
Northern Irish 2.5%

This proves that Britain is effectively synonymous with England. Moreover, when you consider that English is by far the wealthiest of the countries and probably generates 86-90% of British GNP and with that, massively subsidizes the Scots, Welsh and N Irish, it suggests that the Scots, Welsh and N Irish should simply shut up and be grateful for the English.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 28):
Can anyone tell me why a nation should allow any of it's nationals to have dual nationality, either you are British etc or you are not

Simply out of common sense. There are people who change location for "labour" purposes and then really are at home in both countries. There are people who have one of their parents from the "local" country and one from another, and therefore feel part of both nations. No, you in realities easily can be this AND that at absolutely the same time. There are millions of dual-nation-citizens in the world and it does not cause problems.

Scotty

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:33 pm

A few points.

"Britain" is not a nation. It is an island

The UK is made up as a result of an agreement in 1707 between only two signatory nations. Scotland and England (which had incorporated the governance of Wales since a few centuries before that)

Either nation has the right to annul the Treaty of Union.

The UK as of today, is the third incarnation of same. The first was comprised only of Scotland, England (and Wales), the second incorporated all of Ireland and the third, post Irish independence incorporates England (and Wales), Scotland, and the part of Ireland which didnt want to become independent, namely the bit of the province of Ulster generally called the six counties, and more widely known today as Northern Ireland.

So for Fiona Watson to state

"It makes perfect sense, in this day and age, to wonder how Britain came to be made up of four distinctive countries. "

Well it doesnt - and it isnt. "Britain" is made up of only two distinctive countries and a third which has only recently had its national identify formally re-established as a result of the creation of the Welsh Assembly.

Even so, the UK remains made up of only two signatories to the Act of Union so I wonder where she gets all of this rubbish from. But it IS the BBC website after all and their current misison is to brainwash us all into believing that "Britain" in its current state has existed since before the dawn of time and that there is no other state of being and never has been.

I tell you, friends, there is. There is.

yyz717

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Scotty (Reply 32):
"Britain" is made up of only two distinctive countries and a third which has only recently had its national identify formally re-established as a result of the creation of the Welsh Assembly.

Officially yes, but practically no. England so dominates Britain that England effectively is Britain which is England. Scotland and Wales are relatively impoverished backwaters heavily dependend on England in every sense.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Banco

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:46 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 33):
England so dominates Britain that England effectively is Britain which is England

I would doubt even the most one-eyed, patriotic Englishman would think that. Most of us tend to quite like our set-up of having different nations within the UK, not least because we can spend all our time taking the piss out of each other. The implication of what you say would be that Scotland is just a marginal, irrelevant addendum to England, and that ain't so.

We might tell them that on here whilst we're having one of our little spats, but that's a long-running private family argument that we all enjoy and doesn't bear much relation to reality. Scotland's cultural importance to the UK is very strong, and very important. Part of what makes us all Britons is what the Scots and Welsh bring to it, the differences and similarities add to the blend.

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
The implication of what you say would be that Scotland is just a marginal, irrelevant addendum to England, and that ain't so.

Demographically and economically, that is exactly what Scotland is to the UK. Don't let political correctness get in the way of facts.

Banco

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 35):
Don't let political correctness get in the way of facts.

A big call from someone on the other side of the Atlantic. How about the FACT that I am English, I am British, and I actually live here unlike someone else who mouths off from thousands of miles away without any apparent understanding of the dynamics of MY country.

You're wrong. End of story.

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 36):
A big call from someone on the other side of the Atlantic. How about the FACT that I am English, I am British, and I actually live here unlike someone else who mouths off from thousands of miles away without any apparent understanding of the dynamics of MY country.

No, you're wrong. And it would seem a hothead also.

The facts have been stated above:
English 83%
Scots 8%

Clearly, the English outnumber the Scots by a factor of >10:1, and in terms of GNP, it's likely 11 or 12:1. The Scots ARE demographically and economically marginalized. It's simply a fact.

By the way, I'm as English as you. I was born in MAN of Scottish and English parents. I retain my UK passport. So perhaps I actually know more about the UK than you and am able to view it (from a distance) with an unbiased eye and certainly with a lack of emotion. Also,being of both Scottish AND English affords me a dual-nation view that you will never have. Cheers.

Banco

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 37):
By the way, I'm as English as you. I was born in MAN of Scottish and English parents. I retain my UK passport. So perhaps I actually know more about the UK than you and am able to view it (from a distance) with an unbiased eye and certainly with a lack of emotion. Also,being of both Scottish AND English affords me a dual-nation view that you will never have. Cheers.

I think I might retain that as one of the most astonishingly arrogant, self-centred and smug posts I've ever seen.

You have no idea of my ancestry, actually. You don't even know my skin colour, so I think there should now be a short pause whilst I reflect on how it is you have the cheek to make such assumptions and you think of a way to come back with an apology.

QANTASforever

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:41 am

I don't know how much of that bad Canadian tequila you've been drinking tonight, Yyz717 - but you've been saying some craaaazy things.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 38):
I think I might retain that as one of the most astonishingly arrogant, self-centred and smug posts I've ever seen.

You have no idea of my ancestry, actually. You don't even know my skin colour, so I think there should now be a short pause whilst I reflect on how it is you have the cheek to make such assumptions and you think of a way to come back with an apology.

Arrogance begets arrogance, doesn't it? Your attempt to dismiss my opinion because I am from overseas is the most astonishingly arrogant comment here. When I point out that I am as English as you (and, apparently even more so, now), you feign outrage. If you wish to discuss British issues on a worldwide website, then non-resident opnions are as valid (or moreso) than yours.

It's hard to argue with facts. The fact is that England dominates the UK. By every measure. Everyone know that.

QANTASforever

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 40):
Your attempt to dismiss my opinion because I am from overseas is the most astonishingly arrogant comment here.

And that has got to be the most astonishingly hypocritical thing you've said all day!

You dismiss my opinions of my own country just because I arrived here as a small child as opposed to a newborn, and yet you get all upset when someone questions your right to comment on a country that (while the place of your birth) you don't even choose live in!

Unbelievable.

How do you like it?

QFF

Banco

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:52 am

When I point out that I am as English as you (and, apparently even more so, now),

Oh, so people who aren't white aren't English then? Or are whites more English than non-whites? Is that what you are saying? I think you should clarify this extremely rapidly.

Your attempt to dismiss my opinion because I am from overseas is the most astonishingly arrogant comment here.

I live here. You don't. That is inarguable.

If you wish to discuss British issues on a worldwide website, then non-resident opnions are as valid (or moreso) than yours.

You're free to comment. But you like facts. The facts are that you are trying to comment from the other side of the Atlantic about something you clearly no little about, and are keen to make assumptions about a person you know nothing about.

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):
But you like facts. The facts are that you are trying to comment from the other side of the Atlantic about something you clearly no little about, and are keen to make assumptions about a person you know nothing about.

The facts are:
English 83%
Scots 8%

Scotland is small and marginalized. Period.
'

I live here. You don't. That is inarguable.

That seems to be the entire basis of your argument. You seem to be incapable of anything other contribution.

Oh, so people who aren't white aren't English then? Or are whites more English than non-whites? Is that what you are saying?

Chuckle.

QANTASforever

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 43):
Poor little QFF. He's mad at me in another thread and carries personal attacks to this one. Typical.

Yes that's right - go for the messenger as opposed to the message. Nobody doubts your ability to avoid recognising valid points made against you.

QFF

Banco

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 44):
Chuckle.

Don't chuckle. Answer the question.

You made the assertion that you are more English than I am after I pointed out you don't even know my ethnicity when you made yet another assumption.

Answer it.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 36):

Wrong he may be, but to declare "end of story" unilaterally is completely wrong. I DISapprove whomever declares a discussions to be "end" just out of a mood

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
I don't know how much of that bad Canadian tequila you've been drinking tonight, Yyz717 - but you've been saying some craaaazy things.

he may be wrong. But his point simply is that minorities of below 20% usually do not have a big say in whatever country

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 41):

And that has got to be the most astonishingly hypocritical thing you've said all day!

You dismiss my opinions of my own country just because I arrived here as a small child as opposed to a newborn, and yet you get all upset when someone questions your right to comment on a country that (while the place of your birth) you don't even choose live in!

Unbelievable.

How do you like it?

QFF

YYZ has a long history of posts telling other people how to run their business. Remember when he told us to stop immigration to Germany, because it would dilute German culture?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Scotty

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:26 am

Demographically and economically, that is exactly what Scotland is to the UK. Don't let political correctness get in the way of facts.

Like Canada in North America.

You sound very much like one of those types who move across the pond and still think that everything back home is exactly the same as it was when you left it.

Your statistics are correct. Your knoweledge of the actual situation on the ground is way off beam, and I tend to agree with Banco. (All fall down with shock!)

QANTASforever

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 48):
Remember when he told us to stop immigration to Germany, because it would dilute German culture?

Sheesh. I'm certainly seeing a pattern emerging.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 47):
But his point simply is that minorities of below 20% usually do not have a big say in whatever country

His argument is that minorities shouldn't have ANY say. That may be a simple point but I certainly don't think it's correct.

QFF

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Scotty (Reply 49):

Like Canada in North America.

I agree. Completely. Canada is as relevant to NA and Scotland is to the UK. Which is fairly minor.

You sound very much like one of those types who move across the pond and still think that everything back home is exactly the same as it was when you left it.

Another insult. "He doesn't come here so he does not know." Well, Im in the UK frequently, once or twice a year. I arguably travel more within the UK than most residents.

Your statistics are correct. Your knoweledge of the actual situation on the ground is way off beam, and I tend to agree with Banco.

statistics form the basis of the reality. the overwhelming majority of english have no ties to scotland and have never been. Scotland is a maraginal part of the UK, as is Canada to NA. Hence, no one can honestly claim that SCotland is central to the UK economically or demographically. Not even BA, VS or BD operate single long haul flgiht out of GLA....this speaks volumes about Scotland's marginalization.