B777-700
Topic Author

Please Help Sponsor A Delta Pilot...

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:01 am

It's just not right. Thousands of pilots in our very own country are living at or just below the six figure salary line. And if that wasn't bad enough, many of them may go several weeks or months without a paycheck if they are forced by Delta Air Lines management to strike.

But now you can help. For about three hundred dollars a day (that's less than the price of a 25" television set) you can help keep a pilot economically viable during their time of need.

Three hundred dollars a day may not seem like a lot of money to you, but to a pilot, it could mean the difference between a vacation fishing in Florida or a Mediterranean cruise.

Three hundred dollars a day will enable a pilot to upgrade his or her home computer, buy that new 100" television set, trade in the 6 month old Lexus for a Ferrari, or enjoy a dinner (with champagne) at a fine restaurant.

"HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?"

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the crew member you sponsor. Detailed information about his or her stocks, bonds, 401K, and real-estate holdings will be mailed to your home. You will be able to watch your pilot's net worth grow. You'll also get information on how they chose to invest their 1.2 million dollar lump sum they get upon their retirement.

"HOW WILL THEY KNOW I'M HELPING?"

Your pilot will be told that he or she has a SPECIAL FRIEND that just wants to help. Although the pilot won't know your name, he or she will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case they need more funds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to help!! In the event of a strike by the Delta Pilots, I would like to sponsor the crew member listed below. I would like to sponsor (circle your selection/s):

___CAPTAIN
___777 CREW MEMBER
___AN ENTIRE FLIGHT CREW
___737 CREW MEMBER
___FIRST OFFICER
___MD-88 CREW MEMBER
___767 CREW MEMBER
___Please apply my donation to the crew member most in need.

Please charge the account listed below $326.25 per day (or $350.29 for 777 crew members) for the duration of the strike. Please send me a picture of the crew member I have sponsored, along with a set of "wings" and my very own "new" red S.C.O.P.E. badge (while supplies last)

-- ( ) Mastercard -- ( ) Visa -- ( ) American Express
-- ( ) Diner's Club -- ( ) Delta Card -- ( ) Discover Card
Account Number:________________________________
Exp. Date:_____________________________________
Signature:_____________________________________

Send Completed Forms to the Delta Pilots Assoc. Or, Enroll By Phone: (404)-555-3188

Note: Sponsors agree not to contact the crew member sponsored or their families in person or by other means including, but not limited to, phone calls, letters, email, or third parties. Contributions made are not tax deductible. In the event of no strike action taken, sponsors agree to a one time administration charge of $500.00 to cover administration costs of this progam.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

blsbls99

RE: Please Help Sponsor A Delta Pilot...

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:07 am

LOL
This did make me laugh...but will probably get you in hot water with some other members!!
319 320 313 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 742 752 763 772 CRJ D9S ERJ EMB L10 M88 M90 SF3 AT4

Alitalia744

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:08 am

this is the funniest post I've seen all day.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

IFEMaster

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:18 am

Best post on a.net ever. Sure, I've got $300 per day kicking around. Heck, I've got three times that. I could sponsor an entire flight crew.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

PK786

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:24 am

Hi
Where can i sign up for a Female pilot I have my AMX card ready.I dont even make three hundred a week.But I will be happy to donate my pay check to them because they are doing what NOTHING.Thanks B777-700.

kaddyuk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:30 am

They should run a similar scheme for Engineers...  Wink

What you think Mel (HAWK21M)?
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

airxliban

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:51 am

Marginally amusing since we're talking about DALPA I suppose, but I still think it's in poor taste particularly if this is meant to be extended to pilots in general.

First of all, for whatever they're paid, pilots have to take on huge responsibility. They are liable for the lives of the people on the aircraft they fly. Any error on their part could mean disastrous consequences which they are ultimately responsible for. It's not a responsibility anyone should take lightly.

Secondly, DALPA aside, not every pilot lives up to the sort of lifestyle implied by the sponsor-a-pilot form above. Many are just hard working men and women earning a living, aligning their career paths with their love of aviation, and imho are not outrageously paid for what they do.

Thirdly airline employees in general have taken huge pay and benefit cuts in the last 5 years, so let's not be too cynical everyone...
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

BMIFlyer

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 5):
They should run a similar scheme for Engineers...

No, they shouldn't  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

kaddyuk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 6):
Secondly, DALPA aside, not every pilot lives up to the sort of lifestyle implied by the sponsor-a-pilot form above. Many are just hard working men and women earning a living, aligning their career paths with their love of aviation, and imho are not outrageously paid for what they do.

Thirdly airline employees in general have taken huge pay and benefit cuts in the last 5 years, so let's not be too cynical everyone...

*cough* You HONESTLY expect me (and this forum) to belive that pilots get a poor deal?

A Good friend of mine works for Comair (The Delta Subsidary). Their pilots are threatening a strike, even when they currently get paid ABOVE the average for pilots in their sector. Its simple, take the pay cut OR strike, the airline goes under and you loose your job. Its pretty simple stuff we're talking about here. They get paid more than the average and tbh, the job isnt THAT stressful. 9 times out of 10, the most strenuous thing they do is the pre-flight walk round...  stirthepot 

[Edited 2006-04-13 23:00:43]

fxramper

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:07 am

At the end of 06 this thread will be in the running for some sort of award!  bouncy 

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 7):

No, they shouldn't

checkmark   Smile

airxliban

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 8):
*cough* You HONESTLY expect me (and this forum) to belive that pilots get a poor deal?

A Good friend of mine works for Comair (The Delta Subsidary). Their pilots are threatening a strike, even when they currently get paid ABOVE the average for pilots in their sector. Its simple, take the pay cut OR strike, the airline goes under and you loose your job. Its pretty simple stuff we're talking about here. They get paid more than the average and tbh, the job isnt THAT stressful. 9 times out of 10, the most strenuous thing they do is the pre-flight walk round...

I realise that DALPA is strangling Delta, but I seriously don't understand this culture of disrespecting pilots. Yeah the airline wouldn't exist without you (i assume you're still a VS tech) but likewise you wouldn't have a job if there weren't any pilots to fly the planes and there wouldn't be any planes if there weren't any pilots. The responsibility which pilots take on in the course of their everyday duties...well it's certainly more than I'll have to face in my working life and the same can be said most others.

I'm not saying that pilots are getting a bad deal, I just don't think they're overpaid for what they do.

I realise that this thread was supposed to be humourous but I seriously can't understand why everyone thinks pilots are living it up without having to do any work.

kaddyuk

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 10):
I realise that this thread was supposed to be humourous but I seriously can't understand why everyone thinks pilots are living it up without having to do any work.

Because they dont really do any work... the computer does all the flying... They're a safety measure...

*sarcasm*
That being said, the thing that CAUSES most crashes, are the two lumps of flesh and bones at the front. If a safety device else where on the aircraft failed as often as they do, it would be removed and re-designed...  Wink

airxliban

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 11):
That being said, the thing that CAUSES most crashes, are the two lumps of flesh and bones at the front. If a safety device else where on the aircraft failed as often as they do, it would be removed and re-designed...

So imagine paying them even less and giving them even less incentive to take their job seriously...

srbmod

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 7):

No, they shouldn't

That's because we know they'll just piss it away down at the pub......

But what if I wanted to sponsor an MD-90 or 757 crew member........

rwsea

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:50 am

First of all, for whatever they're paid, pilots have to take on huge responsibility. They are liable for the lives of the people on the aircraft they fly. Any error on their part could mean disastrous consequences which they are ultimately responsible for. It's not a responsibility anyone should take lightly.

Here in Seattle, city bus drivers are paid $20 or less an hour to drive their bus around town, and they often times can carry 50-60 or more passengers in one bus during rush hour. They are liable for the lives of dozens of folks as well. How are 757 bus drivers worth any more than city bus drivers?

aloges

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 14):
How are 757 bus drivers worth any more than city bus drivers?

For starters, it could be because they got themselves into one hell of a lot of debt for their ATPL. Then we can add the metal tube doing several hundred miles an hour issue and a plethora of other items, but still... the naysayers would continue whinging.

Hey, if being a pilot is so easy, why don't you become one and work for the money a bus driver earns? Deal?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

dl021

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:50 am

The Delta pilots are still earning more than they were prior to the last set of raises.

First of all, for whatever they're paid, pilots have to take on huge responsibility.

That they do willingly. Are you suggesting that paying them less means they'll be less careful? Or that fewer pilots will want to work for them? As opposed to Air Tran or JetBlue?

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 10):
I realise that DALPA is strangling Delta, but I seriously don't understand this culture of disrespecting pilots.

So...is it ok for them to strangle the airline? I respect the pilot's ability to fly the airplane safely....but they'd be paying to fly if they were not working for an airline or air force.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

JBLUA320

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 12):
So imagine paying them even less and giving them even less incentive to take their job seriously...

Sorry.. but they shouldn't need tons of incentive. They didn't go through all the training to fly these planes because it's simply a "job"-- there needs to be some sort of desire to do this.

If you love what you do, and pilots should, since there is an incredible amount of training required, that love and passion for your job should trump the money you make. Maybe it's a cliche thing to say, but jeez, think of all the people stuck in jobs they hate.

Maybe this is just my naive 17 year old perspective of the world talking...

JBLU

airxliban

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 15):
For starters, it could be because they got themselves into one hell of a lot of debt for their ATPL. Then we can add the metal tube doing several hundred miles an hour issue and a plethora of other items, but still... the naysayers would continue whinging.

Hey, if being a pilot is so easy, why don't you become one and work for the money a bus driver earns? Deal?

checkmark 

Quoting DL021 (Reply 16):
The Delta pilots are still earning more than they were prior to the last set of raises.

That's just Delta pilots though.

That they do willingly. Are you suggesting that paying them less means they'll be less careful?

Well it's a similar analogy to that of paying police officers poorly.

So...is it ok for them to strangle the airline? I

No - especially when you consider that if you they continue to do so, none of them will have jobs. But again, that's DALPA!

All I am saying is that on aggregate I don't think that pilots pay is outrageous and I wonder what drives the hatred that many people on this site seem to have towards pilots.

ZKSUJ

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:48 am

I read in a book that some pilots are real poor. And that SOME are struggling to just make ends meet.

Whats the story with that?

aloges

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 19):
Whats the story with that?

I assume it's like that when you start at a US regional, which most pilots do at some point in their carreers. It's probably the same in European countries, but of course regionals in Europe are very different from regionals in the US. And there's less talk about them.  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Nordair

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:46 pm

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

AirPacific747

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:59 pm

Isn't this in the wrong forum or what?  Wink

dl757md

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 18):
That's just Delta pilots though.

Which is who the thread was about to begin with. It's a joke. Get over yourself.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

Matt72033

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:29 am

what about the engineers that maintain these aircraft, they have just as much responsibility! but half the salary!

For starters, it could be because they got themselves into one hell of a lot of debt for their ATPL

no tehy didnt.....mummy and daddy paid for it!

Then we can add the metal tube doing several hundred miles an hour issue and a plethora of other items, but still... the naysayers would continue whinging.

death is death, weather its at 500 mph or 50 mph!

JBirdAV8r

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 20):

I assume it's like that when you start at a US regional, which most pilots do at some point in their carreers.

That, and most Part 135 freight operations, "professional" CFI's, etc. It sucks to start out (though once you get going, it ain't too bad  Wink ).

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 24):
no tehy didnt.....mummy and daddy paid for it!

Most guys either worked their asses off in the military or put themselves RIDICULOUSLY into debt to get where they are. That's nothing but unsubstantiable flamebait on your part.

Besides, if Mummy and Daddy offered, wouldn't YOU take them up on it?  butthead 

what about the engineers that maintain these aircraft, they have just as much responsibility! but half the salary!

Most airline A&P's I know live quite comfortably at SIGNIFICANTLY more than "half" the salary. A substantial amount make more. I have 100% respect for mechanics--as an instructor and a curious pilot I go to them constantly for advice and information; some of those guys are barely a few years older than me but have such a mind-blowingly thorough understanding of the workings of an airplane.

death is death, weather its at 500 mph or 50 mph!

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot easier to react to sudden problems when you're traveling 1/10th the speed...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

L-188

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:02 am

Nice......Too bad you didn't have it ready two weeks ago for April Fools Day.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

fspilot747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:29 am

Are you f**king kidding me?

[Edited 2006-04-16 22:45:29]

Matt72033

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 25):
That's nothing but unsubstantiable flamebait on your part.

no it isnt!

Most airline A&P's I know live quite comfortably at SIGNIFICANTLY more than "half" the salary

im not saying there not comfortable but the pay check is SIGNIFICANTLY less than a pilots! an in a lot of cases less than half! even more so if you care to break it down to a hourly rate!

fspilot747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 28):
im not saying there not comfortable but the pay check is SIGNIFICANTLY less than a pilots!

What the hell is wrong with people that they think the mecs' salary should be on par with or compared to the pilots' salary? It's like bitching because the receptionist doesn't make as much as the attorney. They are two different jobs with two very different skill levels and education. A crude analogy, I know, but nevertheless, the point is easy to see.

Jesus Christ.

[Edited 2006-04-16 23:08:33]

dl757md

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 29):
They are two different jobs with two very different skill levels and education.

I agree completely. You ever wonder why there's not an airplane mtc simulator program? You couldn't afford the computer needed to run it.  

Dl757Md

[Edited 2006-04-16 23:34:10]

TheSorcerer

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:33 am

Well DALPA's a shit trade union if it recommends strike when it can't support it's members properly.
Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

B777-700
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:37 am

They are two different jobs with two very different skill levels and education.

You're right. Mx's have a lot more responsibility! Big grin

Honestly dude, you just think pilots are the be all, end all, and they're not. You have a hard time coping with reality.

You know the difference between God and a pilot? God doesn't think he's a pilot.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys have taken so well to my post. I do have my moments!  Wink

777-200

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 am

Most of the pilots at delta don't make six figures anyway. Its just like saying why should doctors make so much? I mean, all they do is perscribe medicine, and sometimes they even get that wrong! Its not like a CPA is worth anything more than a drug dealer, so why should they make any money?
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

Matt72033

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:44 am

rotfl 
Whatever! you obviously dont have the first clue about what your talking about there!

They are two different jobs with two very different skill levels and education

yeah your right! pilots education and skill level goes as deep as to know which button to press in which circumstance! Whereas the engineer knows every system on the aircraft in immense detail!
when that engineer signs that log book he is making him self responsible for the lives of however many people are flying on that aircraft! JUST as much responsibility as the pilots!

It's like bitching because the receptionist doesn't make as much as the attorney

A very bad analogy that is nowhere near correct!
i seriously suggest you take your head out of your ass!

emiratesa345

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:49 am

The same can be said about the bus driver, yet they are not paid nearly as much.

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 12):

Here in Seattle, city bus drivers are paid $20 or less an hour to drive their bus around town, and they often times can carry 50-60 or more passengers in one bus during rush hour. They are liable for the lives of dozens of folks as well. How are 757 bus drivers worth any more than city bus drivers?

I agree completely.

That they do willingly. Are you suggesting that paying them less means they'll be less careful? Or that fewer pilots will want to work for them? As opposed to Air Tran or JetBlue?

Well said. To suggest that paying them less would cause them to be less careful is honestly the biggest load of shit I have ever read, yet it always comes up. Someone on this forum always uses it as a defence.

I'm currently PAYING to fly airplanes, and as many of you know, it isn't cheap. DOes that mean that I should be less careful/ cautious when I'm flying since I'm technically in the negative? Absolutely not.

I'm sure most pilots realize that not only are the responsible for the safety of the passengers and crew, but as well for themselves. Chances are, if they screw up, they won;t walk away from the wreckage sooner than the people in the back. Again, the "less payment" arguement doesn't stand.

As we all know, flying is also the safest mode of transport, so this talk of crashes and accidents compared to compensation is really pointless to begin with.

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot easier to react to sudden problems when you're traveling 1/10th the speed...

Everyone flying airplanes are trained professionals. The same can not be said about people driving cars. This is something the bus driver has to deal with day in and day out (morons behind the wheel, drunk drivers, etc.). You know exactly what to expect from aircraft around you, although rarely, mistakes happen. You never know when the person ahead of you is going to jam on the brakes, the person beside you swerve in your lane, or a number of different things that could potentially cause an accident while you're driving a bus, or even a car for that matter.

What the hell is wrong with people that they think the mecs' salary should be on par with or compared to the pilots' salary? It's like bitching because the receptionist doesn't make as much as the attorney. They are two different jobs with two very different skill levels and education. A crude analogy, I know, but nevertheless, the point is easy to see.

Why shouldn't they? Do you not agree that their jobs are not equally important? Mechaincs also have to go through a fe years of schooling, take on apprenticeships for low pay, and many even have to buy their own tools (if not all).

I know bus mechanics who have tools in excess of $40,000 CAD, I can't even imagine how many special tools aircraft mechanics might need and the smaller the field, the more expensive things are. The $200 a year tool allowance doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'm not saying that they should be making 200,000 K a year to fix airplanes, but I also don't think pilots should to fly them.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

777-200

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 35):

Do you have any idea of how much time and money it takes to become a commercial pilot? I could go through "bus driver" training in about a week and be a decent bus driver, I mean shit, what's so hard about driving a bus? its just stop-go-stop-go in the middle of a city??
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

B777-700
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting 777-200 (Reply 33):
Most of the pilots at delta don't make six figures anyway.

And yet their average pay is $157,000. Hmmmm...

fspilot747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:37 am

You guys need to spend more time bitching about the 20 mil a guy gets for playing ball. Then again, I don't even complain about that because that's what he's worth. And they have pay protection, too.

The thing that you people don't seem to get is nobody really makes 200K in this biz, and those who do, make it for the last couple of years of his/her career if that. The entire job is a seniority-bitch game where you're working your way up the ladder till retirement.

The average salary of an airline pilot should be in the 150Ks. Nothing wrong with that, that's what the industry has, up to this point, felt that the pilot is worth. I personally don't think the CEO of exxon is worth 155K a day, but that's what it's came down to. It's a profession. Those of you who compare it to bus-driving reek of jealously. Being in command a large airliner and all the risks and complications that go with it, emergencies, etc..., is a professional job, whether or not you like to think of it as one.

My advice if you are jealous and find the need to bitch about other peoples' salaries? Start with the NBA.

FSP

JBirdAV8r

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:38 am

Everyone flying airplanes are trained professionals. The same can not be said about people driving cars. This is something the bus driver has to deal with day in and day out (morons behind the wheel, drunk drivers, etc.). You know exactly what to expect from aircraft around you, although rarely, mistakes happen. You never know when the person ahead of you is going to jam on the brakes, the person beside you swerve in your lane, or a number of different things that could potentially cause an accident while you're driving a bus, or even a car for that matter.

Next time a bus driver goes 140 miles an hour in pea soup fog (controlling pitch, roll, yaw, and thrust) to land on a precise point on the ground, having only seen it for a few seconds before slamming onto it, let me know, and I'll fight for his salary to increase.

Most of you naysayers out there would mess yourselves if you knew exactly what even the low-paid pro pilots out there do on a daily basis. You have no idea, therefore you are not qualified to judge.

B777-700
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 38):
The average salary of an airline pilot should be in the 150Ks. Nothing wrong with that,

Yes, there is, when the market does not allow it.

You guys need to spend more time bitching about the 20 mil a guy gets for playing ball.

My advice if you are jealous and find the need to bitch about other peoples' salaries? Start with the NBA.

Sorry, but Rasheed Wallace's actions do not put me out of a job.

Request denied.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 34):
yeah your right! pilots education and skill level goes as deep as to know which button to press in which circumstance! Whereas the engineer knows every system on the aircraft in immense detail!
when that engineer signs that log book he is making him self responsible for the lives of however many people are flying on that aircraft! JUST as much responsibility as the pilots!

Well, gee. Then I've been studying WAY too much, my students should sue me for overworking them, and my FAA examiners asked me way too many questions... butthead 

dl757md

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 39):
Most of you naysayers out there would mess yourselves if you knew exactly what even the low-paid pro pilots out there do on a daily basis.

I'm well aware of what they do. What you need to be aware of is that there are low paid pro pilots out there that are willing and able to do what DL pilots do for what DL is wanting to pay them. The only thing standing in the way of that is ALPA.

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 40):
Sorry, but Rasheed Wallace's actions do not put me out of a job.

Request denied.

checkmark 

yyz717

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 2):
this is the funniest post I've seen all day.

I agree. These glorified bus drivers still have it too good.

SO what? Airlines are a business. Period. If they are losing money, they need to cut costs. And that means pilot salaries.

The average salary of an airline pilot should be in the 150Ks.

Should be? Why? Nothing should be anything. If an airline can pay a pilot $50k, and pilots are willing to work for that pittance, then it's good, whether its ERJ-135's or 744's.

Pilot salaries are market driven. Majors continue to lose money, so salaries need to drop. It's a very simply equation.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

emiratesa345

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting 777-200 (Reply 36):
Do you have any idea of how much time and money it takes to become a commercial pilot? I could go through "bus driver" training in about a week and be a decent bus driver, I mean shit, what's so hard about driving a bus? its just stop-go-stop-go in the middle of a city??

Do you not read? See below:

I'm currently PAYING to fly airplanes, and as many of you know, it isn't cheap.

I'm not saying driving a bus is hard, but I don't think flying a plane is either. It all becomes second nature after you gain enough experience.

Those of you who compare it to bus-driving reek of jealously. Being in command a large airliner and all the risks and complications that go with it, emergencies, etc..., is a professional job, whether or not you like to think of it as one

I'm not jealous. Driving a bus is a professional job as well. You're a professional driver. Once again, we've already determined that flying is the safest mode of transport, so what risks and complications do you speak of?

The risks of getting to the airport are far greater.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

JBirdAV8r

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 43):
Pilot salaries are market driven. Majors continue to lose money, so salaries need to drop. It's a very simply equation.

I agree with that, but people on A.net are telling them to just bend over and take a 50% pay cut. If you had the means to fight that, you would.

I accept those pay cuts in times like this as an inevitability, but 50% is, simply put, too much to give.

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 42):
I'm well aware of what they do. What you need to be aware of is that there are low paid pro pilots out there that are willing and able to do what DL pilots do for what DL is wanting to pay them. The only thing standing in the way of that is ALPA.

I am aware of that. Read above.

fspilot747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 44):

I'm not saying driving a bus is hard, but I don't think flying a plane is either. It all becomes second nature after you gain enough experience.

Ok pal, What do you have, like 4 hours in a Cessna 152? No shit that's not hard.

Brain surgery is easy if you know what you're doing.

Yyz717, good for them they are Unionized, though not strong enough. Ideally, the pilots would have the industry by the balls, like the longshoremen did when they struck, all across the country to keep their standards where they were. That's the beauty of it. You gotta love that sort of brotherhood. Doesn't it just make you piss your dockers?

[Edited 2006-04-17 02:17:33]

yyz717

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 45):
I agree with that, but people on A.net are telling them to just bend over and take a 50% pay cut. If you had the means to fight that, you would.

I accept those pay cuts in times like this as an inevitability, but 50% is, simply put, too much to give.

If 50% is what's needed to return the airline to profitability, then I guess the alternative is liquidation if pilots are not willing to work as a team with management. Go ask a former EA, PA or more recently an I-fly pilot if they'd been more willing to give up more salary....I bet the answer is yes.

Here's the thing......yields continue to drop as the airline industry continues to commoditize......pilot salaries will need tocontinue to keep dropping and dropping.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Nordair

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 am

Very typical of most people. They are automatically hostile and indignant towards people they don't even know who make more money than they do. Sour grapes often do make the best whines.  cheeky 
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

Zone1

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:54 am

Do I get Double SkyMiles if I use my Delta American Express card?
/// U N I T E D