saxdiva

Got A Blog?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:37 am

This post got me thinking about blogs. Although I'm not a fan of myspace, I got into the habit of keeping up a blog as sort of a trip journal last year when I was in Europe for a few months, and I've just recently started again as a way of mulling over stuff I'm working on. Does anyone else besides GKirk have one?

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, mine is at http://saxdiva2.blogspot.com/.

Cheers,
Leanne

[Edited 2006-04-15 22:46:38]

mhodgson

RE: Got A Blog?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:43 am

I do - but it only has 2 entries and is more for friends and family to read, to keep them updated on goings on when I'm training in Oxford come September.

http://martinhodgson.blogspot.com/ if anyone's interested. It's unlikely to be updated for a while, though!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

foppishbum

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 am

Blog?! I usually just use it for ranting or complaining about stuff especially school and work! Big grin I try to update it almost every week! (the link is in my profile if anyone is interested)

Peace-
Taiwanese-American :D

RichardPrice

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:51 am

Im in the process of writing the engine for one, so I shall post it here in the next couple of days when its complete.

desertjets

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:17 am

I created one about a month ago at the insistance of a friend of mine. Right now I think she is the only one that actually reads it, not that I really write anything for it though.

So for the enjoyment of the masses read my blog @ http://desertjets.livejournal.com/

Hell even add me as your friend.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LHMark

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:34 am

I write a blog and a print magazine column about beer.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Dougloid

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:50 am

I have a couple that are topical, one's about agricultural legal matters and the other has something to do with aviation. They both seem to have taken on a life of their own and I try to post something interesting that I've heard about every day or two.
A lot of times something I've read about here on a.net gives me the germ of an idea and then I may take and run with it. Sometimes if I've posted something here I may reprint it in my blog.

I started the ag law blog recently. I was brooding over something that happened last year, I submitted three different items for publication at my grad school, never got any response, three months later the same facts came out under a different byline. This was after they'd cancelled a contract i had to write something and get paid for it.

So I was sitting there, searched, and found out nobody was doing anything like it in the field. I loaded in a lot of content I already had and I can respond to fast breaking events a lot faster than they can, and sooner or later they're bound to figure out that the pain they feel is me grinding my grubby thumb in their eye.

Enjoy and thanks saxdiva for letting me do a bit of shameless self promotion.

http://cornponepapers.blogspot.com
http://law-down-on-the-farm.blogspot.com
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

saxdiva

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:35 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 6):
sooner or later they're bound to figure out that the pain they feel is me grinding my grubby thumb in their eye.

Nothing makes resentment dissipate more effectively than revenge, eh?  biggrin 

Cool blog--I've bookmarked it.

-Leanne

TSV

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:29 am

Interesting comment :

"excludes the more up-to-date initiatives companies actually *use.*"

Can you give some examples?
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

saxdiva

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:40 pm

(Oh wow... I'm about to hijack my own thread here... )

Quoting TSV (Reply 8):
Can you give some examples?

Sort of... although my primary field is strategic managment and not operations, I split my time between two departments (MHR and technology/operations management). My TOM colleagues--who know I teach Principles of Management, which is an introductory survey course in the business curriculum--frequently lament that all we cover in terms of quality improvement in this course is the TQM process--to the exclusion of all else. Yet, employers who hire our grads are increasingly looking for people who understand Lean Enterprise and Six Sigma (and yes, I know this is an extension of TQM principles). Lean Six Sigma also seems to be showing up in the literature, so I'll probably touch on that, as well as a few of the other notable process improvement models.

Interestingly enough, it seems that all of these initiatives are being documented in the literature as having their share of successes and failures. The common thread seems to be that when companies don't properly evaluate, structure, or support whatever program they implement, it's not only doomed to failure, but tends to pre-emptively doom successive initiatives. That, more than the advocacy of any particular program (which I'm not qualified to take on anyway--I'm spread thin enough as it is) is the real message underlying what I cover in this class.

Anyhow, if you've got any suggestions, please drop me an e-mail--I'm always thankful for as many perspectives (especially if it's case data) as I can get.

Edit: Sometimes I hate the acronym script...

[Edited 2006-04-16 05:45:10]

vaporlock

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:18 pm

This is the only blog that I read..... it is a blog that my son Rob and daughter-in-law Heather have started since moving to Charlotte, North Carolina. They both worked in E. Vancouver, BC at Main & Hastings for around 6 years helping the homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes and anyone else that were down on their luck. They both work for the Salvation Army and have dedicated their lives to helping others who are in need...

If you take the time, you'll probably be suprised at what goes on.... in both Canada and America...

http://www.614firecrest.blogspot.com/

Phyllis  bouncy 

Checo77

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:41 pm

My blog is about movies. I have recently started it, so I have only a review and analysis of the movie Crash.

Blog adress: http://bestmovie-reviews.blogspot.com/

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

hawaiian717

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:49 pm

I ramble about stuff when I feel like it:

http://quanterium.blogspot.com/

KWI

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:20 pm

I've had a blog for about a year or so now. It's got some random articles and pics. If anyone's interested, http://faris0204.skyblog.com

KWI

texan

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 pm

Aside from the one on myspace I have a livejournal blog. Update it maybe once every month or two Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."