lentigomaligna

Rant: Spitting In Public

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:40 am

Since when has the act of spitting in public become socially acceptable? It's something I've noticed a lot lately and is really getting on my nerves. I've even noticed people who I find generally smart, level-headed, and polite people, some friends of mine, doing this. And of course, spitting in public isn't just enough for these people. It would seem they get the greatest satisfaction while making as much noise as possible while in the act, leaving no doubt to the amount of phlegm in the spit.

Is it supposed to make you look cool and/or athletic? Maybe, but it doesn't.

Have I gone crazy or has anyone else noticed this alarming trend? Is this an American thing or has it spread further?

If you're one of these spitters, please seek help. Learn to find a sink, or somewhere private at the very least.

/rant

TransWorldSTL

RE: Rant: Spitting In Public

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 am

Ick.. I hate people who spit in public as well.. I see it all day at work.. Instead of finding a trash can, or at the very least a grassy spot, they spit right in the middle of the walkways where in a couple seconds, someone will walk in it... And they never seem to care who is around..

Six Flags does have a policy to where I could yell at people for spitting, but it's just like telling people smoking isn't allowed.. They apologise, act like they had no idea, then start again as soon as they're out of my sight..

Notar520AC

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:41 am

It's prevalent in my high school. Don't touch the walls. = Very disgusting...
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Nordair

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 am

I'm pretty sure I could go down the list of the more prominent Anetters and tell you exactly which ones spit in public and which ones do not.  sly 
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

September11

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:49 am

Years ago, I was invited to visit my half-brother's school for one day. Unfortunately, that morning, he was suspended from high school for spitting tobacco on floor (in classroom) front of everybody! He was the school's top baseball player. Teacher saw the spitting incident and send him to Principal's Office. Father had to come and pick us up.
Airliners.net of the Future

NWOrientDC10

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Thread starter):
Rant: Spitting In Public

These are the same types who blow smoke in someone elses direction, litter, strike up conversations with clerks/customer service workers in stores even though there is a line of people waiting behind them. These types also stand in front of doorways, take up two spaces when parking, yak into cell phones, ... This list could continue for a good bit.

There are two types of people here, the unknowing and the uncaring. Some do these things and don't realize they're being rude. Some know what they are doing but could care less. I read an article written by a psychiatrist in which he summed it up best "There are some people in society whose behavior must simply be tolerated". Sad but true.

I believe inconsiderate behavior is learned and/or tolerated during childhood; "upbringing". I also believe some of the inconsiderate types are capable of changing - for the better.

As for the spitting, it's disgusting  yuck !

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Quite common out here.Especially the Pan chewed version  Smile
After the Govt placed a fine it has reduced.But its bad.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IBERIA747

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Is this an American thing or has it spread further?

I think this has spreaded. It has turned into a "national sport" here in Spain, and since this is a "modern, free society" where everyone can do what suits them best (without any concerns about offending others) then everyone spits wherever they want. I have seen people spitting on the streets, inside a shopping mall, in a church, inside the elevator, inside the metro (subway), onboard a bus, at the airport...and all of them were Spanish.

I have to mention also that it's much more common among younger people...those who also often intimidate or attack their teachers and parents on behalf of "their freedom and modernity". They can even kill someone, rape a girl or set your house on fire, but no one can touch them because they're "minors" and if you do so then you are in serious problems...even if it's in self-defence. I don't know how bad this is in other countries but here it has gotten out of control.

I have also heard about a growing problem with the "happy slapping" thing, which has also started to become popular in my country.

It would seem they get the greatest satisfaction while making as much noise as possible while in the act, leaving no doubt to the amount of phlegm in the spit.
Is it supposed to make you look cool and/or athletic?

That's what they say. Young kids love to do that when they are with their girlfriends, so they will look like "tough, bad guys" and the girlies will fall for them.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

Molykote

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 5):
These are the same types who blow smoke in someone elses direction, litter, strike up conversations with clerks/customer service workers in stores even though there is a line of people waiting behind them. These types also stand in front of doorways, take up two spaces when parking, yak into cell phones, ... This list could continue for a good bit.

There are two types of people here, the unknowing and the uncaring. Some do these things and don't realize they're being rude. Some know what they are doing but could care less. I read an article written by a psychiatrist in which he summed it up best "There are some people in society whose behavior must simply be tolerated". Sad but true.

I believe inconsiderate behavior is learned and/or tolerated during childhood; "upbringing". I also believe some of the inconsiderate types are capable of changing - for the better.

As for the spitting, it's disgusting !

Russell

checkmark 

Can we include people who throw cigarette butts freely about with the "spitter" group?
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Quoting Nordair (Reply 3):
go down the list of the more prominent Anetters and tell you exactly which ones spit in public and which ones do not.

who does ? and who not ? can you establish a list ?
> or what about a kind of poll ?

AsstChiefMark

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:18 pm

If the general public had a simple knowledge of microbiology, a lot of disease and illness would be greatly diminished...

http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/VC/B/B/B/H/_/vcbbbh.jpg
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

gkirk

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 9):
Quoting Nordair (Reply 3):
go down the list of the more prominent Anetters and tell you exactly which ones spit in public and which ones do not.

who does ? and who not ? can you establish a list ?
> or what about a kind of poll ?

I think you may have misinterpreted that, ME AVN FAN  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
may have

I indeed MAY HAVE done so  Wink wink/being sarcastic

Toulouse

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Can't stand spitting. Gald to see similar concensus here, as I recall a similar thread some months back in which I was completely flamed by a number of a.netters for expressing my disgust of spitting in public, as they deemed it as totally natural!
Long live Aer Lingus!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 13):

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 13):
similar concensus

also quite happy to see that behaviours of Anetters apparently have drastically improved within a short time !  yes 

JAGflyer

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:21 pm

It is very unpleasent to have to swallow nasal discharge or phlem. If possible I try to go somewhere private or discreetly spit it out.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

CLEfan

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 am

Is this an American thing or has it spread further?

I traveled to Seoul, South Korea in February and spitting there is very prevelent. Everywhere you went there were people spitting. They included old people, young people in business suits, middle aged blue collar workers, and grandmothers. They would just spit everywhere, even in the middle of a busy sidewalk.

In Tokyo you see occasionally, but nothing like Seoul.