gkirk

Palestinian Suicide Bomber Kills 6 In Tel Aviv

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:57 pm

When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ANCFlyer

RE: Palestinian Suicide Bomber Kills 6 In Tel Aviv

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:07 pm

This oughta help too:

Iran pledges $50 million to Palestinians

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/16/mideast/index.html

The United States, European Union and Israel call Hamas a terrorist organization and have cut direct funding to the Hamas-led government that assumed power March 30, although humanitarian aid can be donated through non-governmental organizations.

Hamas has refused to recognize the Jewish state's right to exist
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

windshear

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 pm

This was carried out by Jihad Islamia and Fatah Al Aqsa Brigades...
Hamas has the over all responsibility though.

Hamas have to react, but they are propably just too busy working on their newest Qassam missile

EDIT: Sonnen 26 minutes have passed, yet you have not condemned this act of terror! *wink*

Boaz.

[Edited 2006-04-17 14:24:05]

[Edited 2006-04-17 14:25:01]
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

L410Turbolet

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 pm

I think the EU should immediately dispatch its chief foreign affairs appeaser Javier Solana  Wink

gkirk

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

Nice to see Iran promoting peace as always  Yeah sure  Wink
 duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LeonB1985

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:59 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to wake up one morning and discover that Israel and Palestine had 'talked it over' (preferably over a drink or two) and decided to put their differences behind them? Shame it doesn't seem to be likely.  Sad
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

AirCop

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 5):
Wouldn't it be nice to wake up one morning and discover that Israel and Palestine had 'talked it over' (preferably over a drink or two) and decided to put their differences behind them? Shame it doesn't seem to be likely. Sad

Boy that would make my day.

NeilYYZ

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to wake up one morning and discover that Israel and Palestine had 'talked it over' (preferably over a drink or two) and decided to put their differences behind them? Shame it doesn't seem to be likely.

That will happen just as soon as every country in the world has stopped supporting the Palestinian government. I don't know of many countries that have officially cut ties with them, I know Canada has and I was damn happy to hear it. If Hamas is considered a terrorist organization, then the funding will stop, the people would hopefully revolt against the government and maybe, just maybe someday, the two countries would get along.

I don't see a way to stop the suicide bombing or Hamas unless they are totally bankrupt and left destitute.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/16/mideast/index.html

The United States, European Union and Israel call Hamas a terrorist organization and have cut direct funding to the Hamas-led government

The cut of the E.U. in fact strenthened the influence of Tehran. The only counter-balance is Russia which apparently is to fill the gap left by the E.U. . My views about Hamas to a good deal admittedly coincide with those of the E.U., the cut however nevertheless is a definite mistake as it strenthens the influence of Tehran and Riyadh.

RichardPrice

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Hamas need to distance themselves from these acts, not condone them! While withholding funding from the authority is not a positive step, calling terrorism self defence isnt either.

Hamas as a ruling body wont go away because funding is withdrawn, they managed to get by very well for decades with illicit funding and they can pass any bad feeling from the public onto the people withholding the funding. Irans donation is a stabalising act, despite what many people think to the contrary.

Palestine needs to denounce random acts of violence, but they shouldnt be forced to denounce all violence because its their entitlement to maintain a military. The same with recognising Israel - thats their perogative one way or the other, after all lots of countries arent recognised as legitimate.

windshear

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:40 pm

I have that wish my self  Smile

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):

The EU still pays the same amount to the Palestinians, they are just channeling them around Hamas.

Boaz.

RichardPrice

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 pm

To everyone on this thread saying cutting funding to Hamas is good because they are a terrorist organisation, let me remind you of the ANC and South Africa - they were a terrorist organisation prior to apartide, and they took power to create a much better South Africa. You cant get much worse in Palestine controlled territories today so maybe Hamas can do the same.

NeilYYZ

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 11):
You cant get much worse in Palestine controlled territories today so maybe Hamas can do the same.

Hopefully, but for the time being, when suicide bombers are killing the people of Israel with disturbing frequency, I'm still in favor of cutting off funding.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Falcon84

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:49 pm

To everyone on this thread saying cutting funding to Hamas is good because they are a terrorist organisation, let me remind you of the ANC and South Africa - they were a terrorist organisation prior to apartide, and they took power to create a much better South Africa. You cant get much worse in Palestine controlled territories today so maybe Hamas can do the same.

Dream on. Hamas is what it is-a terrorist group. They won't change, and they won't condemn this crap.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dtwclipper

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Dream on. Hamas is what it is-a terrorist group.

How very true...they have one goal, and one goal only, and that is to push Israel into the sea.

I just don't believe that there is any room for compromise with Hamas.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Boeing Nut

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:06 pm

Here we go.................  sorry 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

RichardPrice

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
Hopefully, but for the time being, when suicide bombers are killing the people of Israel with disturbing frequency, I'm still in favor of cutting off funding.

Israeli deaths since 2000 - 478
Palestinian deaths since 2000 - 3,808 including over 600 children (to Feb 2005)

Im not exactly willing to give Israel an easy run. You dont pacify a population by ensuring your response to terrorism is to kill 7.5 times as many in retaliation.

Sources:
BBC News
Palestinian Red Cross Society

windshear

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:25 pm

I admire your optimism, but South Africa and Hamas.. Whoa jumping to conclusions!

EU is not cutting the financial support for the Palestinian people, they are refusing to support a terrorist organization, which I think is a matter of principle and moral.
Hamas have a Qassam program, and are the ones who blew up the first civilian bus.

Mr. Abbas him self called todays attack a terrorist attack while Hamas called it an act of self defense...

Boaz.

windshear

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 16):

I have just read your last post, and I am quite intrigued, as to how you can connect the first statement you made, and then this death score?!

This is a matter of national security for the Israelis, and a matter of liberation from an occupation for the Palestinians.

How and what are you justifying with this "score board"?!

It is besides the point and very immoral of you.

Boaz.

RichardPrice

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Windshear (Reply 18):
I have just read your last post, and I am quite intrigued, as to how you can connect the first statement you made, and then this death score?!

Its quite easy - its not a black and white situation, thats how I can make both the posts I have made.

Hamas needs to back away from violence, indeed all Palestinians do - its not constructive for the future they want. But at the same time Israel needs to stop thinking the only way to make it cease is to carry out the military strikes it does against patently civilian installations, causing massive loss of life.

With Israels current plan of action, they create more misfeeling with each strike than they solve, its not a war of attrition because theres no end to the tunnel that way, terrorist groups can continue so long as one person is alive.

And it wasnt a scoreboard, it was a discussion point - the Palistinians have suffered nearly 8 times the losses the Israelis have and their resolve is still not broken. If you feel its immoral to highlight both sides losses when usually one of those sides is ignored as 'required' due to them being terrorists, then you need to reevaluate.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 9):
Hamas need to distance themselves from these acts, not condone them!

agree absolutely ! as soon as they come to their senses and common sense and recognize the existence of the Israeli state and the agreements already in force and are ready for serious negotiations with the Israelis, I am ready to act as an "apologist" for them. But their present position simply is sh...... !

Quoting Windshear (Reply 10):
The EU still pays the same amount to the Palestinians, they are just channeling them around Hamas.

for the time being as FAR around them as possible might indeed be most recommendable

avi

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Unbelievable, what a huge lie. Since Sep 2000 1,095 people were murdered here in a Palestinian terror attacks, over double your (or the BBC) number (and less than 100 since Sep 04 so this is not the source of the "mistake"). This is a simple lie.

Do you know that over 70% of the dead in Israel are civilians?
Do you know that over 70% of the dead Palestinians were terrorist, killed when they attacked Israel / Israelis or killed in preventing operations?

Nice to see you (you or the BBC) counts all the suicide bombers and other terrorists as innocent people and at the same time cutting the numbers of their victims. Disgusting.

The number of the murdered today raised to 8 and this is the worse attack in 20 months.
Long live the B747

rjpieces

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 am

Well now the IDF will be allowed to bomb the shit out of Hamas, right?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

RichardPrice

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting Avi (Reply 21):
Unbelievable, what a huge lie. Since Sep 2000 1,095 people were murdered here in a Palestinian terror attacks, over double your (or the BBC) number (and less than 100 since Sep 04 so this is not the source of the "mistake"). This is a simple lie.

Id like sources on that, but if its true then the BBC are drastically wrong and its not often they are that wrong.

Quoting Avi (Reply 21):
Do you know that over 70% of the dead in Israel are civilians?
Do you know that over 70% of the dead Palestinians were terrorist, killed when they attacked Israel / Israelis or killed in preventing operations?

Who compiles those percentages?

avi

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 22):
Well now the IDF will be allowed to bomb the shit out of Hamas, right?

I doubt it.

Quoting Avi (Reply 21):
The number of the murdered today raised to 8

Correction: 9
Long live the B747

MD11Engineer

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:23 am

Hamas has a main goal, which is also aimed against many Palaestinians:
The conversion of the Palaestine territories into an Islamic theocracy. This is also aimed against the not so small Christian Arab minority, as well as against secular Arabs. Additionally they want to drive all infidels from land which they perceive as theirs.

Hamas won the elections mainly because the only other alternative, Arafat's ex cronies, were hopelessly corrupt and Hamas, with money from Iran and Saudiarabia, managed to set up infrastructure projects like schools and hospitals, which would normally have been the duty of the regular government.
Obviously they use these projects also for intensive indoctrination.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

KSYR

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:31 am

Bullshit. Number of Israelis killed from 27 September 2000 to 1 January 2005 (over a year ago) was 1,010 (source: www.ict.org.il). That number is certainly much higher now. I don't know why the BBC would report a bullshit number like 478...

Hamas has refused to condemn today's attack. Maybe the US and EU should just stop giving money to Palestinians entirely...?

NeilYYZ

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 26):
Hamas has refused to condemn today's attack. Maybe the US and EU should just stop giving money to Palestinians entirely...?

Canada did it, why shouldn't other countries. And it's not often that Canada will take such a drastic stance right out of the starting gates. I think Hamas was in power about a week before Canada cut all ties with them.

rjpieces

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 26):
Maybe the US and EU should just stop giving money to Palestinians entirely...?

My Congressman has been calling for that (as well as to Egypt and Saudi Arabia, some allies) for years now...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

avi

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 23):
Id like sources on that,

1. I have a list of my own.
2. You can visit the Israel Ministry Of Foreign Affairs web site and start counting.
3. Some other websites in Israel that won't help you (language).

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 23):
Who compiles those percentages?

About the Israeli numbers, me (from my list). About the Palestinians numbers some people here gave graphs in the past about it.
Long live the B747

windshear

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 19):
With Israels current plan of action, they create more misfeeling with each strike than they solve, its not a war of attrition because theres no end to the tunnel that way, terrorist groups can continue so long as one person is alive.

True... But IDF and the Intelligence finds it necessary, whilst weighing in the loss of "sympathy" or PR value contra what is gained, in terms of lives saved. Israel has one main goal, and that is to stay alive.

As for the rest in your post, I find it apologetic and unconstructive, this might be because I am seeing it from diferent angle.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 20):
for the time being as FAR around them as possible might indeed be most recommendable

Yes I agree as well. The balance of this is quite nerve wrecking! To stop funding the Palestinians could cause a humanitarian crisis, not to mention an increase of the hatred towards the west. But Hamas is a war machine and it has roots ranging from Hizbollah to Ahmedinejad in Tehran.

Boaz.

tbar220

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:01 am

You falsly quoted the article, that is why so many people are mad at you.

From the BBC article you posted...

History of attacks

The first Palestinian suicide attack in Israel killed eight people in April 1994 in the centre of Afula.

Hamas said it carried out the attack in response to the killing of 29 praying Muslims in February of that year by West Bank settler Baruch Goldstein.

Between 1994 and September 2000, the beginning of the current intifada, some 120 Israelis were killed in suicide attacks. A series of attacks in 1996 and 1997 cemented the tactic of targeting crowded buses or cafes with nail bombs.

Suicide attacks have greatly increased during the current intifada.

Since September 2000, about 436 Israelis have died as a result of these attacks. The number of injured is close to 3,000.

The number quoted there is the number of dead from suicide bombings alone. Lets not forget that Israel was suffering from terrorist attacks well before this intefadah as well.

Anyways, you should be more careful when you reference articles.
NO URLS in signature

windshear

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
The conversion of the Palaestine territories into an Islamic theocracy. This is also aimed against the not so small Christian Arab minority, as well as against secular Arabs. Additionally they want to drive all infidels from land which they perceive as theirs.

I had a dog and his name was: BINGO Big grin

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 31):

I think numbers are cold. I commented Richard because I read his post, as if it was saying that numbers made it all better or worse. But as far as angry goes, I don't think anyone here is angry.

Boaz.

L410Turbolet

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:13 am

Hamas need to distance themselves from these acts, not condone them!

Distancing themselves from something they initiated/authorized would be kinda schizophrenic, wouldn't it?

While withholding funding from the authority is not a positive step, calling terrorism self defence isnt either.

the cut however nevertheless is a definite mistake as it strenthens the influence of Tehran and Riyadh.

It's definitely a positive thing and I'm quite surprised the EU actually managed to make such decision.
Tehran and/or Riyadh had, have and will have influence on the Palestinians - do you honestly believe millions upon millions wasted by the EU and others there achieved anything - unless you want to call replacing of somewhat moderate terrorist Arafat with hardcore terrorists from Hamas an "achievement"?
I just don't understand the naivety of those European politicians, who think that sucking up to Hamas and shoving money down their throat will buy them sympathies or loyalty - Arbs/Muslims will stick together right or wrong. I guess they're fishing for votes from the immigrant population?

The only counter-balance is Russia which apparently is to fill the gap left by the E.U. .

Counterbalance to what? To those who demand nothing more than acknowledgement of Israel? Oh wait, we're talking about Russia so it's really NO surprise they always gang up with the thugs.

RichardPrice

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 31):

From the BBC article you posted...

No I didnt falsly quote anything, take a look at the box to the right about halfway down:

Quote:

First suicide attack: Hamas kills eight people in Afula in April 1994
120 Israelis died in attacks between 1994 and September 2000
478 Israelis killed and more than 3,000 injured in attacks since September 2000 (updated September 2004)

Both my figures above are since 2000 so they are both, according to the sources, in the same general timeframe.

11Bravo

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:39 am

The Palestinians are really just hopeless. Here we have a society that has suicide bombing as one of the foundations of its political and social culture. I wish Israel would just withdraw from the West Bank and be done with it. Eventually they'll have to do that, and they might as well get it over with now.

Once that happens I have no problem with massive IDF retaliation for terrorist attacks. Withdraw, completely seal the border, and then bomb them into the stone-age the first time a rocket is fired across the border; zero tolerance, catastrophic consequences.
WhaleJets Rule!

Marco

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:39 am

The problem is not just with the Palestinian leadership, but with the Arab street. Only when the Arab street rejects violence and explosive reproduction rates, to counter Israel, will there be peace. If not, they will be digging themselves into a bigger hole, and remember at the end of the day Israel is a prosperous liberal democracy with Arab groups in the Israeli parliament, Knesset. Hell they even have a mosque in the knesset! Which Arab country would allow this to, I won't push it and say Jews, but their "Arab/Non-Arab Christian brothers"?

And before any self righteous Westerner know-it-all lectures me about the Middle East, I'm from Iraq grew up in the Gulf and have visited most Arab countries. I have also suffered casualties in this Iraq war...therefore I have lived it and experienced it.

The problems in the Arab world existed before the US or Israel existed. It's a problem of co-existence.

[Edited 2006-04-17 18:41:50]
Proud to be an Assyrian!

ME AVN FAN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
The conversion of the Palaestine territories into an Islamic theocracy.

THAT in fact is the MAIN problem about that organisation. An Islamic backward restrictive theocracy

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 33):
a positive thing and I'm quite surprised the EU actually managed to make such decision.

in spite of regarding Hamas as an ugly thing, a rather disastrous and devastating decision

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 33):
The only counter-balance is Russia which apparently is to fill the gap left by the E.U. .
--
Counterbalance to what?

Counterbalance to Tehran and Riyadh, straight and simple

rjpieces

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 36):
and remember at the end of the day Israel is a prosperous liberal democracy with Arab groups in the Israeli parliament, Knesset.

Can't wait for the usual group of A.netters to claim that this isn't true.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:57 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 38):
Israel is a prosperous liberal democracy with Arab groups in the Israeli parliament, Knesset

that already IS the case, and has been so for quite some time, so what ?

MD11Engineer

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:07 am

After the quotes from the Hamas leadership (self defense, my @rse) I suspect that they are soon to meet their makers via Israeli sniper bullets or rockets (hopefully without to much damage involving innocent bystanders) also as purely Israeli self defense. If they support terrorist attacks (and this was not a guerilla attack against e.g. an Israeli military or police station, but clearly a terrorist attack against unarmed civilians), they are to be considered as terrorist leaders themselves. I think the period of grace is over.

The attack could also be connected with the Iranian commitment to fund the Hamas, in this way the attack can be seen as a raised middle finger towards the Western nations, as in "we don't need you, f*ck yourself!".

Jan

[Edited 2006-04-17 19:07:54]

windshear

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 36):

praise 

You said it!

Boaz.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 40):
fter the quotes from the Hamas leadership (self defense, my @rse) I suspect that they are soon to meet their makers via Israeli sniper bullets or rockets (hopefully without to much damage involving innocent bystanders) also as purely Israeli self defense.

-
well, what I am surprised about is that those Hamas folks ignore the simple fact that they are within a 20minute-reach of the Israeli army. I am just wondering how long the Israelis wait until starting to get rid of those Hamas folks most unnerving to them !?

windshear

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 42):

Many of the great Hamas leaders, are safe and sound in Damascus my friend...

Boaz.

TACAA320

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:34 am

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/17/telaviv.blast/index.html

"A suicide bombing that killed nine people Monday at an Israeli restaurant provoked conflicting responses from Palestinian leaders.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, via a spokesman, condemned the Tel Aviv terror attack, while Hamas called it justified.

The blast marked the first time a suicide bomber has successfully set off a bomb in Israel since the Hamas-led government assumed power over the Palestinian Authority on March 30.

The bombing occurred during a busy period of Passover and just hours before a special session of the Israeli parliament."

Source: above link.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

MD11Engineer

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 40):
fter the quotes from the Hamas leadership (self defense, my @rse) I suspect that they are soon to meet their makers via Israeli sniper bullets or rockets (hopefully without to much damage involving innocent bystanders) also as purely Israeli self defense.

-
well, what I am surprised about is that those Hamas folks ignore the simple fact that they are within a 20minute-reach of the Israeli army. I am just wondering how long the Israelis wait until starting to get rid of those Hamas folks most unnerving to them !?

I think the new Israeli government wanted to give them a period of grace, so that Hamas could prove if they were interested in a realistic peace or if they wanted to continue to fight for the illusory "Endsieg".

Quoting Windshear (Reply 43):

Many of the great Hamas leaders, are safe and sound in Damascus my friend...

Boaz.

And many of Hamas's financers are rich people safely tucked away in Saudi Arabia, who think that they can buy their way into heaven by financing fundamentalist organsiations like Hamas.

Jan

L410Turbolet

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
in spite of regarding Hamas as an ugly thing, a rather disastrous and devastating decision

How disastrous, or rather disastrous for whom? If it is disastrous for Palestinians, well tough sh*t they should've thought about that before electing Hamas. Disastrous for the EU? I just don't see ANY difference in Palestinians' actions before and after the EU cut the ties. None. The only difference is the EU does not sponsor them and traditional apologists in the EU seem to have run out of excuses.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
THAT in fact is the MAIN problem about that organisation. An Islamic backward restrictive theocracy

Then tell me ONE reason why anyone from Europe, the US/Canada, etc. with common sense should support them?

solarix

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:43 am

Looks like an official act of war to me. Israel should respond.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

tbar220

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 34):

No I didnt falsly quote anything, take a look at the box to the right about halfway down:

Look closely at the header for that box, it is "Suicide Bombing Facts".
NO URLS in signature

Bofredrik

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:17 am

The palestinians elected Hamas.
They wanted a new leadership and i support them.
They are occupied buy a agreesive state, Israel,
and like for exmple ANC in S.A do they have the right
to fight for their freedom.
 bigmouth