deltagator

25 Years Since The First Shuttle Launch

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:44 am

I'm a few days late (I was on vacation and just forgot it) but April 12th was the 25th anniversary of the first shuttle launch. As with Challenger I remember exactly where I was that day and wondered about you all as well.

I was there on the 10th sitting right in front of the VAB with some family friends who had been given a car pass by my dad. On the 12th when it actually took off I was across the river since we couldn't get over to the Cape. It seems just like yesterday to me. Hopefully we can get the space program back in gear as it has floundered a fair amount in the last few years.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Falcon84

RE: 25 Years Since The First Shuttle Launch

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:53 am

I remember it. I was a Freshman in college. It was a big boost to the nation, coming so soon after President Reagan survived an assassination attempt.

I remember ABC News Anchor Frank Reynolds literally willing that ship into orbit.

It did not have the grandeur of the Saturn V, but it was incredble seeing that funny-looking, airplane-like thing get into space.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

Bobster2

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:05 am

I thought the landing was scariest part. It glides like a brick and there's no way to miss the approach and survive.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AGM100

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:10 am

Thanks Delta, It was a astonishing event!! My teacher brought a TV into the class room and we watched it live. At the time I didnt really grasp the enormity of the project , but now I really appreciate having seen it.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !