I'll be flying to JNB via DXB in mid-August, and I decided to stop over for a day, to see what Dubai is all about. I managed to avoid needing a hotel, since I'll be coming in from FRA at 0640 in the morning, and leaving at 0410 the next morning, so basically my night's sleep will be on the morning flight to JNB.
Which gives me 21 hours to discover Dubai!
Do you have any suggestions about how to spend that day? Will there be any A.netters in DXB in mid August? I have some specific questions:
1) Carrying a German passport, do I need a visa for that one day, or will they simply give me a tourist visa at the airport?
2) What transportation options are there to get into town? How much money will I spend? How long is the trip?
3) Which area of town should I go to? Is there some kind of historic center, or is it all modern skyscrapers now?
4) Any suggestions for food? I'd like to eat a typical local dish. But not at any expensive place, since I'm on a tight (student's) budget.
5) How about safety? I've lived in South America for 8 years so I'm well prepared for any situation, but from what I've heard Dubai is really safe.
Any additional suggestions?
Thanks a lot!
[Edited 2006-04-19 11:25:24]