lorenz

Where To Go In "The US"..

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:40 pm

.. folks!

Myself and a friend already got airline tickets from Oslo to Newark in late June, tough since we're been in NYC many times it's time to expand.
We're looking into maybe Miami, cause we wanna go somewhere sunny and "tropcial"  Smile

The week will look somehow like this;

Wedns 21th June; ARR EWR 13:30
Wedns 21th June; DEP EWR to XXX
Monda 26th June; DEP XXX to EWR
Wedns 28th June; DEP EWR 17:50 for OSL

So in the end, we are looking for a nice place to go (summer) for 5 days, since we have plans for the last days in the Big Apple..

Comments appriciated ;

Gilligan

RE: Where To Go In "The US"..

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 pm

Indoors or outdoors? Indoors, stop at IAD and see the Air and Space museum extension, maybe spend a couple of days looking around Washington D.C. which doesn't even begin to cover it. Outdoors, if you're limited to the east coast, Miami is nice but by the end of June it will be HOT and muggy so be prepared. Unless you're really into the nightlife thing you might want to try farther up the coast, Hilton Head or even Myrtle Beach SC.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

futuresdpdcop

Maybe Los Angeles or San Diego or even San Francisco. You can do a little bit of everything in either city. Beach, museums, amusement parks.

Depends on your taste and what you and your friend like to do. If you want more info on the above cities, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to fill you in on the stuff you might want to do.

TWFirst

CHICAGO!!.... Chicago is the most "American" of big cities... and is beautiful, especially in late June. New York, Miami, and Los Angeles are NOT America. Although I love South Florida, I would highly recommend you visit Chicago instead... not to mention Miami will be extremely hot and humid in June.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

mt99

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Ewww. Miami.. Yuck!

Come to Chicago! Its not tropical.. but its sure pretty! Specially during the summers
Step into my office, baby

corey07850

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:54 pm

You won't be disappointed in Miami... The whole South Beach/Art Deco area is pretty cool. The beaches are nice, the weather will be great, and there are outstanding restaurants (recommend you sample some of the Cuban food). Good shopping if you're into that, and you could even take in a Florida Marlins baseball game if you want.

Hop a flight on CO down to MIA and you can be there in only a couple hours unlike flying out to the west coast

LO231

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 4):
Come to Chicago! Its not tropical.. but its sure pretty!

I just came back from Chicago and I HIGHLY recommend it, too!

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

mdsh00

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 am

Depends on what you like but I (being biased of couse) would recommend California. You can get both the indoors and the outdoors in one place! Tell us what you're interested in.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

texan

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:58 am

Miami can be pretty hot, but is still a good place to visit in the summer. Chicago absolutely rocks my socks off. Stay away from Texas unless you really like exponentially high temperatures and humidity, with the ocassional tornadic thunderstorm outbreak  Smile I like it, but then again we consider it normal down here!

If you are looking for fun cities to visit, Boston and DC both offer a ton of fun, although not the tropical climate you are after. You might be able to catch some decent fares to San Juan or Aguadilla in Puerto Rico for the truly tropical time, especially since summer is typically the low season for the Caribbean. Clearwater Beach in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida is also pretty nice, although without the nightlife you'll find in Miami. And I think that the cherries will just be ripening in Michigan up near Traverse City about that time  Wink

For "off the beaten path" try the area around Lake Champlain or the White Mountains in Vermont; Melbourne or Vero Beach, Florida to avoid the crowds; Reno/South Lake Tahoe, NV/CA for some spectacular scenery and outdoor fun on Lake Tahoe; or Southern Utah/Northern Arizona for cool temperatures and tons of National parks, which are great for exploration.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Dougloid

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:01 am

Where would I go at that time of year?

Why, Indian Lake, New York, of course.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever. Rent a car in the big apple and you're there in about 4 hours. Eat lunch and have a few beers at Farrell's. Then over to Blue Mountain Lake to see the Adirondack Museum.

http://www.indian-lake.com/
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

komododx

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 4):

Come to Chicago! Its not tropical.. but its sure pretty! Specially during the summers

And Chicago is just a big Midwestern cow town.

Go to Miami. You'll have tons of fun and you'll meet people from a diversity of backgrounds.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

mt99

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 10):
diversity of backgrounds.

You mean from different parts of Cuba.(j/k)

Chicago has Miami beaten in terms of diversity.

(Cant you tell that i really really dislike that city)

[Edited 2006-04-19 18:26:01]

CO7e7

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 am

San Diego is a very nice place to visit.. Anywhere in CA should be fun for the most part..

I personally love Arizona!

satx

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:41 am

I never really paid much attention to Chicago, but y'all are making it sound like a real blast. Hmm. Maybe it's time to bust out the Frommers.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

photopilot

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 am

Ha, that's easy.

From EWR just hop a quick flight to YYZ and spend 5 days in Toronto and area and experience Canadian Hospitality.

komododx

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 11):
You mean from different parts of Cuba.(j/k)

Chicago has Miami beaten in terms of diversity.

(Cant you tell that i really really dislike that city)

Yes, why?

Let's list the several differnt ethnic groups/nationalities in South Florida:
-Cuban
-Puerto Rican
-Jamaican
-Dominican
-Haitian
-Colombian
-Venezuelan
-Brazilian
-Argentinian
-Jewish
-Palestinian (quite an enclave in Palm Beach)
-Dutch
-South African
-Quebecois

Etc, etc, etc

What do you have in Chicago?
-Some Middle Easterners
-A whole lot of Midwesterners (nothing wrong with them, though)

Stefano  wave 

texan

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 12):
San Diego is a very nice place to visit.. Anywhere in CA should be fun for the most part

I love San Diego and SoCal, but June is not the time to visit. "June Gloom" practically embraces the area in a shroud of fog and clouds, keeping temperatures very cool and a decent chance of rain for SoCal standards. But definitely try to make it to San Diego at some point if possible!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

atrude777

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:44 am

The cities I dont mind going back to are Phoenix, Chicago and Southern Florida, ie Miami/FLL and Fort Meyers Area. If your destined for Miami, fly into FLL, fares are usually cheaper and rent a car. Head on to Fort Lauderdale Beach and have a great time.

Fort Myers is just 2 hrs from Miami and has a beautiful 1 hr drive through the everglades to Marco island, another beautiful area.

Phoenix is hot, chicago most mentioned.

There is always St. Louis........

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Gilligan

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 15):
-Cuban
-Puerto Rican
-Jamaican
-Dominican
-Haitian
-Colombian
-Venezuelan
-Brazilian
-Argentinian
-Jewish
-Dutch
-South African
-Quebecois

I don't know much about Chicago but I'd be willing to be they've got all those as well as just about any eastern european country you can think of. Not to mention Chinese, Japanese, and Indian folks.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mdsh00

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:03 am

-Some Middle Easterners

Smile
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

komododx

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 18):
I don't know much about Chicago but I'd be willing to be they've got all those as well as just about any eastern european country you can think of. Not to mention Chinese, Japanese, and Indian folks.

In large numbers? There's nearly a million Colombians in South Florida. I doubt there are even 100,000 in Chicago.

Stefano  wave 

stlgph

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:30 am

Kansas City.

Sunny. Beautiful. Charming. Quaint.

Well worth it.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

zchannel

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 am

Jump on a plane and fly into BUR. From there, head directly to beautiful Panorama City. No trip to the states is complete without a stop in panoramic Panorama City...
ZChannel: Member FDIC

LHMark

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:43 am

Just go down to the Jersey Shore and hang with the guidos. Don't forget your gold chain.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

mt99

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:45 am

Yes, why?

-Cuban
-Puerto Rican
-Jamaican
-Dominican
-Haitian
-Colombian
-Venezuelan
-Brazilian
-Argentinian
-Jewish
-Dutch
-South African
-Quebecois

Etc, etc, etc

-Some Middle Easterners

Apart from a huge Irish population, even bigger Polish population, Ukranians, Russians, Chinese (does Miami even have a Chinatown? "Wok Express" doenst count), Koreans, Germans. Mexicans, Greek, Italians, Swedes, Indians

No we dont have "Little Havana", but we have: Chinatown, Korean town, Greek town, Little Italy, "la villita", Indian town (Devon Ave area)

Check this out

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/2989.html

Quoting Komododx (Reply 20):
In large numbers? There's nearly a million Colombians in South Florida. I doubt there are even 100,000 in Chicago.

So? There are probably 1 million Mexicans in Chicago. Whats ur point, are Colombians worth more that Mexicans?

komododx

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 24):
Whats ur point, are Colombians worth more that Mexicans?

Please tell me how you come to this conclusion. It makes no sense whatsoever. Read the post and the one it was responding to, then comment.

Stefano   

[Edited 2006-04-20 01:11:55]

UAalltheway

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 am

ORD is good, but if you're up for a west coast trip I'd definitely try SFO, SAN, SJC, or SEA.. any of the major west coast citys are all great!

Quoting STLGph (Reply 21):
Kansas City.

I agree, it's great- but does it really have that much to offer tourists?

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 13):
I never really paid much attention to Chicago, but y'all are making it sound like a real blast. Hmm. Maybe it's time to bust out the Frommers.

Are you kidding me? I knew you used a Frommers (mentioned that in your little spat haha)

But seriously I recommend Chicago also (partly because its my home)

-Some Middle Easterners

-Polish
-Indian
-Croatians
-Serbs
-Bosnians
-Russians
-Mexicans
-Italians
-Greek
-Chinese
-Pakistanis
-Ukrainians
-Lithuanians
-Germans
-Arabs of all sorts

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 19):
-Some Middle Easterners

Quite funny, and quite true!

PJ295

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:38 am

Even though it would be really hot.....I would head out west. Fly to Vegas check out the strip and also check out some amazing national parks in the area....Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, etc.....

planespotting

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 am

Chicago dude.

City of the big shoulders, birthplace of the babyback ribs, and the home of a certain team, that come January, will be hoisting a certain trophy above their collective helmets...a team, known as DA Bears...DAAAA BEEEAAARRSSS

sorry...i couldn't resist...i think that statement says it all. haha.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 29):
City of the big shoulders, birthplace of the babyback ribs, and the home of a certain team

Damn I know, Im excited too about the new Fire stadium! Finally no UFO stadium!

copaair737

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:31 am

San Francisco would be a good choice. Maybe combine it with a hop to Los Angeles or San Diego. The west coast is a good choice JMHO. Miami is alright, if you are along the beach, but Florida in the summer is like a blast furnace. Liberty City isn't that appealing either IMO. The West Coast is the way to go though. Seattle is too cloudy and Portland isn't worth an entire trip across the pond, so I would say come to SFO and combine it with LAX or SAN, and you'd have an awesome trip.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

garnetpalmetto

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:32 am

Charleston, SC. Hang out on the beaches nearby, do some shopping on King Street, stroll the stalls of the Market, have some good eats along Market Street, take a ghost tour, go to a Charleston Battery (USL First Division Soccer) game, look at the beautiful gardens at Magnolia Plantation and all at pretty affordable prices. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/index.html
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

flymia

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 31):
Miami is alright, if you are along thernbeach, but Florida in the summer is like a blast furnace. Liberty Cityrnisn't that appealing either IMO.

Come on what tourist would even go there. I live in Miami and I been through that part of townrnonce or twice and I live a few miles from it. No reason to bring liberty city up. And Miami crime stats have been down for years now, its no longer the 80's early 90's Miami.

Now for where you should go my votes would be Washington DC, San Francisco, Miami or if you want a "real American big city" than Chicago. I been to Chicago a few times not really as a tourist but its an nice place. D.C. and San Fran are great lots of thing to do and see. Alot of history and museums in D.C. And Miami is Miami about as far away you can get from the US with out leaving the country. Its a different world down here. Miami can be very hot in the summer though and weather not great with thunderstorms in the Afternoon but the nights should be fine and thatbis what Miami and Miami Beach are really famous for, its night life. Besides for Vegas, Miami is really the city that never sleeps. I been to NY and SFO, DC,Chicago and things close down a bit at night and slow down in, Miami everything just gets busier.
I really depends on what you want to do as to where you should go.
Yea and if you go to Miami fly to MIA. Its might be a little bit more money but domestic flights to MIA is ALOT easier that domestic flights to FLL less delays and not as crowded. And MIA is a much cooler airport with alot of diversity in air Traffic and the people there. Also the drive from FLL to Miami Beach and Downtown Miami could be horrible at certain times of the day and not the best thing to do, and driving in Miami, not the safest or easiest thing in the world either.

As for Chicago being more diverse it does have its large populations of Sweedish and Polish. But 65% of Miami population is Hispanic when 22% of Chicago is. Miami has three official languages, Spanish,English and Creole. Miami has sizable legal and illegal populations of Argentines, Bahamians, Barbadians, Brazilians, Colombians, Cubans, Dominicans, Dutch, Ecuadorians, French, Haitians, Jamaicans, Israelis, Italians, Nicaraguans, Peruvians, Russians, South Africans, Turks, and Venezuelans throughout the metropolitan area. While commonly thought of as mainly a city of Hispanic and Caribbean immigrants, the Miami area is home to the largest Finnish, French, and South African immigrant communities in the United States; as well as one of the largest Israeli, Russian, and Turkish communities.

As you can see above Miami is not really American. It is the least American place in the country.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Confuscius

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm

"...seriously I recommend Chicago also (partly because its my home)"

This is LOT's Chicago! Big grin

Ain't I a stinker?

mdsh00

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:23 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 33):
Alot of history and museums in D.C. And Miami is Miami about as far away you can get from the US with out leaving the country

I'd actually give that title to Hawaii. Probably the least "American" state. Some parts of Waikiki makes one think of Tokyo with a smaller crowd.

But if it has to be the continental US...then Miami would be it.

copaair737

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 33):
Come on what tourist would even go there. I live in Miami and I been through that part of townrnonce or twice and I live a few miles from it. No reason to bring liberty city up. And Miami crime stats have been down for years now, its no longer the 80's early 90's Miami.

Yeah I know. I lived in the Liberty City neighborhood for 3 or so months. My uncle owns a few rental properties down there, and I lived there for like 3 months or so. Crazy times in that neighborhood. Miami is a fun place though if you hang around the Beach and such. It seems like a Latin American culture. Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale is awesome too. I liked Ft. Lauderdale Beach more than Miami Beach for the actual beach part.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 34):
"...seriously I recommend Chicago also (partly because its my home)"

This is LOT's Chicago!

Ehh yea hehe. I love Chicago to death man, Infact I would defend Chicago to death just like I would defend Poland...and thats something else. I love our interstates, our tolls (and I-PASS), I love Navy Pier, Michigan Ave, Irving Park/Belmont/Cumberland Polish neighborhoods, the awesomness of O'Hare, Woodfield Mall, Eternal construction on I-355 and I-90, and of course how can we forget Jimmy Johns and Giordanos! When Im in Chicago I feel like Im one leg in Europe and one leg in the USA and that is the best of both worlds.

You know how good I feel when I come home and I pass the Indiana/Illinois border on the Skyway...a sigh of relief comes with me now that I can speed 80mph in a 55mph zone with a Illinois State Police cop without him not even blinking his eye at me.

Poland vs. USA Soldier Field  Wink

England vs. USA Soldier Field

BTW... you know whats coming soon.

May 3rd. And you know whos flags you will be seeing in Chicagoland everywhere soon? Yea thats right.

PIA777

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting Lorenz (Thread starter):

You can go to Hell...................thats Hell, Michigan (Just Kidding)

You should hit the 3 major cities like NY, Chicago and LA.

Chicago is the best, it is my hometown. The Museums, the Architecture,
shopping, the skyline and the lakeshore. The Restaurants are also great.

Quoting Komododx (Reply 10):
And Chicago is just a big Midwestern cow town.

WHAT?????

-Some Middle Easterners

Whats wrong with middle easterners??

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:50 pm

PIA777: One of my good friends from high school is from Karachi. Hes a smart guy, but of course...he drives a Toyota...did you expect anything else.

Confuscius

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Nothing. They peacefully coexist on Devon Ave. in Chicago.

My kind of town...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/acetaminophen500mg/FieldMuseum.jpg
Field Museum of Natural History

Art Institute of Chicago

[Edited 2006-04-20 09:10:50]
Ain't I a stinker?

stirling

Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 12):
Anywhere in CA should be fun for the most part..

Fresno!

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 38):
You should hit the 3 major cities like NY, Chicago and LA.

And Fresno!

Quoting STLGph (Reply 21):
Kansas City.

Sunny. Beautiful. Charming. Quaint.

Well worth it.

Kinda like A Fresno!

Quoting Texan (Reply 16):
I love San Diego and SoCal, but June is not the time to visit.

So why not give Fresno a chance!

Fresno, only major American City with a full-fledged movie star as the mayor!

Come on down, eat a fig.
Delete this User

N1120A

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
Hes a smart guy, but of course...he drives a Toyota

Those two statements go together, given Toyota reliability.

As far as I am concerned, Los Angeles is the best place on the face of the Earth, though my hometown can be a bit imposing for people on a quick vacation.

Other cities I can recommend are Boston (beautiful, high culture, compact, full of history) and New Orleans. While New Orleans will be pretty hot and humid in June, it is an amazing city with great music, culture, food and history. You can also tour some of the hurricane affected areas and maybe even lend a helping hand (lots of tourists are doing just that these days). The money you put into the economy of my current home will also be greatly appreciated.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PIA777

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 40):

Nothing. They peacefully coexist on Devon Ave. in Chicago.

You are right, they do coexist in Chicago but those are all Indian
stores.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

stirling

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
As far as I am concerned, Los Angeles is the best place on the face of the Earth

Because is so damn close TO FRESNO!
Delete this User

PIA777

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 44):
Because is so damn close TO FRESNO!

Fresno was listed as one of the ugliest place in another thread. I have never
been there.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
PIA777: One of my good friends from high school is from Karachi. Hes a smart guy, but of course...he drives a Toyota...did you expect anything else.

I had alot of Polish friends. Then again, I did grow up on the NW side.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Those two statements go together, given Toyota reliability.

Dude, you missed the whole point of the post man. Indian and Pakistani guys are notorious for driving one brand and model of car in Chicago.

Had I said Honda Civic the statement would have made no sense.

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 43):
stores.

Bwhahahah how do you confuse "Patel" with Pakistani...if you were from Chicago you would know better.

And you would know where Max Madsen Countryside Mitsubishi is....*filler*

[Edited 2006-04-20 09:16:10]

N1120A

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 41):

Come now. Fresno sucks. Besides, it will be like 300 degrees there in late June.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Confuscius

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:16 pm

stores.

I thought Al-Mansoor was Pakistani. Anyway, Indians, Pakistanis and Jews live within that area and don't seem to have any problems.
Ain't I a stinker?

LOT767-300ER

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:17 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 45):
had alot of Polish friends. Then again, I did grow up on the NW side.

NW side of the city or suburbs? I lived close to Belmont Ave and later Des Plaines by Golf Mill Mall and I-294. I live in Schaumburg now right by Woodfield Mall.