Cadet57
Topic Author

Insurance Surcharges/legal Questions.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 am

Ok, as we all know, back in Dec I wrecked my car. Stupid me, I know. But what I want to know is today I got a letter stating that in july I will begin to pay the surcharges for my little adventure. How does that work? do I pay it all at once or do I just end up paying more per month?

Also. how long does the other party have to begin litigation if they so desire? This has been bothering me as My Friend is getting sued from an accident from TWO years ago. It makes me nervous because if i get sued and I loose, id never be able to pay for the damages...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

AirCop

RE: Insurance Surcharges/legal Questions.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:47 am

I guessing that its your insurance company that is demanding the surcharge. If so then it should just be added onto your monthly bill. As for part two, this is the big reason not to drive around with minimum liability protection. I would think at the bare minimum one needs 100/300 protection. If you have that you should be protected and your insurance company will handle it. Then again if you only have 15/30 (the avg cost of a new car is $27,000) anything over $15,000 is coming out of your pocket.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
would think at the bare minimum one needs 100/300 protection. If you have that you should be protected and your insurance company will handle it.

I beleive thats what I have. gotta look at my policy again. but I know theres 50k on there and IIRC 100k, i beleive on medical

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
Then again if you only have 15/30 (the avg cost of a new car is $27,000) anything over $15,000 is coming out of your pocket.

Def know its more then that, as I have pretty much full IIRC as I even have winshield and rental coverage.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 am

This might help. It varies from state to state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

BigOrange

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:54 am

Switch to an insurance company that offers a no accident surcharge policy for future. Allstate do one which covers accidents and also 2 and 4 point tickets. I switched and it's only about $10 a month extra.