Superfly
Topic Author

Bush Liked In Only Four States

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Bush has a positive approval rating in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Nebraska.

"The latest Fox News poll puts Bush's approval at only 33 percent."

...and that's a Fox (faux) poll. So just imagine how low his numbers really are.

If we define red states as states where the public supports Bush, Red America now has a smaller population than New York City.

Looks like Bush has lost Dixie as well.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/argus/oped/ci_3738502
Bring back the Concorde

oly720man

RE: Bush Liked In Only Four States

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Ah, though you were going to say solid, liquid, gas and plasma.

Well, he's in his 2nd 4 year term and will walk away from it all so is he really going to be too bothered? It'll be someone else next time at the election. Does his approval rating match the Republican approval rating, if such a thing is measured? Does the party suffer because of the president or is there a separation between feelings about one and the other?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

bill142

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Apparently those four states count....

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:01 pm

Oly720man:
It's too bad Bush isn't on any ballot. If so, he would lose.
His low numbers hurt his influence on upcoming House and Senate races. His low numbers doesn't help Republicans in trouble that are up for re-election.
Then again, him and his boy Karl Rove can release another Bin Laden tape before the elections to influence the outcome in there favor. Many voters conservative voters eat that up with mustard.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:09 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 1):
Does his approval rating match the Republican approval rating, if such a thing is measured? Does the party suffer because of the president or is there a separation between feelings about one and the other?

I'm not sure how his approval rating matches the overall GOP approval ratings, but I can say with a good level of confidence that it isn't helping. The relationship between party and president varies from president to president and Congress to Congress (or should I say the extent of it varies - there is always at least some relationship). In this case, both the Republicans in Congress and the Administration got in bed together early on, and it will be hard for many to distance themselves from Bush when they were so openly behind him for so long. Look for many of them to try, however.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

TedTAce

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Does the party suffer because of the president or is there a separation between feelings about one and the other?

The short answer is a little bit. Unfortunately the Republicans have years of screaming 'tax and spend LIBERALS' under their belt to come out of 8 years with Republican control of congress and POTUS to the bigest debt per capita, and more pork then even Ted Stevens could even tolerate.

I have said it again, and I'll re-iterate it until I can say 'I told you so'. The democrats will likely win back both congress and POTUS, and try to take action to curb debt by raising taxes. the economy will go into a tailspin a-la Jimmy Carter, and the Democrats will look like the assholes for 'doing the right thing'. The Republicans will sweep in 4 years later and 'save the day again', spending more money then now.  Yeah sure

IF we are lucky (I doubt it), The Indepenents will unify in moderate anti 2 party platform, and make them both look like the loosers they are. All the while returning sanity to government, back to 'for, and by the people' instead of 'for and by the PAC'.
This space intentionally left blank

NeilYYZ

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 5):
IF we are lucky (I doubt it), The Indepenents will unify in moderate anti 2 party platform, and make them both look like the loosers they are. All the while returning sanity to government, back to 'for, and by the people' instead of 'for and by the PAC'.

Be very careful what you wish for. In Canada we have 4 major parties (Conservative, Liberals, NDP & Bloc Quebecois) and then the 1 Green Party as well as the ability to run as an independant and win a seat in the House of Commons. Because of the way the parties are spread out we are in a self perpetuating cycle of minority governments, where no party holds the majority of seats in the House. We had an election in June '05, January '06 and will probably have another one in about a year to a year and a half. Not much can get done with the minority government, any solid bill is so watered down by the time it gets to the Senate for confirmation that you could probably just pour it into a glass and flush it down the toilet. You can topple the government in Canada by a majority of the House showing a vote of non-confidence in the government, a non-confidence vote can be issued on any bill that invovles spending money. It's ugly up here now, and I don't really see an end in sight, I just wish we could ditch a party or two and consolidate them.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

greasespot

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:32 pm

Well, he's in his 2nd 4 year term and will walk away from it all so is he really going to be too bothered?

He is a politician....So yeah he does....If he did not care why would he do the last whitehous staff shakeup?

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Cadet57

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Bush Liked In Only Four States

Suprising? yes. I thought less states liked him... And whats sad, TEXAS dont even want that bastard.

Ah, though you were going to say solid, liquid, gas and plasma.

rotfl 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

cfalk

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 pm

The short answer is a little bit. Unfortunately the Republicans have years of screaming 'tax and spend LIBERALS' under their belt to come out of 8 years with Republican control of congress and POTUS to the bigest debt per capita, and more pork then even Ted Stevens could even tolerate.

Agree entirely. It has been a longtime practice that the congressmen and senators who sit on the appropriation commitees manage to squeeze in tons of pet pork projects for themselves and their friends into larger funding bills(which is why every president since Reagan has demanded the line-item veto). And it is a shame to the republicans that after all their rhetoric, they have been guilty of doing exactly the same thing. They deserve to be slapped around hard in November for that.

The democrats will likely win back both congress and POTUS, and try to take action to curb debt by raising taxes. the economy will go into a tailspin a-la Jimmy Carter, and the Democrats will look like the assholes for 'doing the right thing'. The Republicans will sweep in 4 years later and 'save the day again', spending more money then now.

You might well have it close to the mark. What we need is a line item veto. Unfortunately, just like federal term limits, this must be approved by Congress, and they are not about to pass limits on their own power.

What we need are new political parties. Repubs and Dems have both gone off the rails.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

desertjets

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:54 pm

Well, he's in his 2nd 4 year term and will walk away from it all so is he really going to be too bothered?

Typically for a 2-term President, the 2nd term is when they try to develop their legacy. This usually involves some major policy overhaul or tightening up their agenda from their first term. Unfortunately for President Bush he does not seem to be in a position to do that. Social Security Reform is stillborn, and No Child Left Behind is generally unpopular and getting a lot of flak. He had an opportunity post 9/11 to exert bi-partisan and international leadership, but the Iraq war put an end to that.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
federal term limits

While in principle I think federal term limits for Congressmen and Senators is a good idea, it is a bad idea in practice. Ultimately I think the problem is not elected officials spending 20-30+ yrs in office, the problem is the influence of outside money from special interest groups, lobby groups, etc. This power is what keeps elected officials in office and gets legislation passed that may not be in the interest of the "people".

However term limits couples with meaningful campaign finance reform and tighter rules on lobbying might prove to be effective.

[Edited 2006-04-25 15:55:02]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

texan

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
And whats sad, TEXAS dont even want that bastard.

He does sit at a 49% approval rating in Texas, though, at least as of last week (per Dallas Morning News). What is telling, though, is that his popularity numbers have been dipping in Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin Counties in North Texas and Harris in South Texas. His numbers are dipping a little but are still very strong in Fort Bend County, possibly the reddest county in Texas. Midland/Odessa, Amarillo, Lubbock, and BPT are all solidly in favor of him as well. Don't know about San Antonio and Austin is not even worth addressing  Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Falcon84

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Bush has a positive approval rating in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Nebraska.

Not even in Texas!  boggled 

Unfortunately the Republicans have years of screaming 'tax and spend LIBERALS' under their belt to come out of 8 years with Republican control of congress and POTUS to the bigest debt per capita, and more pork then even Ted Stevens could even tolerate.

Yes, and now we have the "Tax Cut and Spend Conservatives". I still can't believe no one in the DNC has come up with that slogan. It's so appropriate.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:20 am

Does anyone who reads these polls take note that the general public, when polled say the following things over 60% of the time.

I don't like the job the President is doing..

I really don't like the job Congress is doing..

I really, really don't like the other political party and blame them for what's happening...

I'm doing ok, but I'm worried about everyone else (because the news is always bad, I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop)....

My Senator/Congressman is fine, it's everyone else.

Now....tell me what's going to change?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MKEdude

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
His low numbers hurt his influence on upcoming House and Senate races. His low numbers doesn't help Republicans in trouble that are up for re-election.
Then again, him and his boy Karl Rove can release another Bin Laden tape before the elections to influence the outcome in there favor. Many voters conservative voters eat that up with mustard.

Rove won't even have to do that, the Democrats are going to blow this election on their own. Nobody can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like the Democratic party!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):
I really, really don't like the other political party and blame them for what's happening...

How can you blame the party out of power?

Glad to see you've finally come around to support your Congress rep. Cynthia McKinney.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:34 am

"Bush has a positive approval rating in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Nebraska."

The Axis of Evil States.
Ain't I a stinker?

alberchico

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 16):
The Axis of Evil States.

:D Big grin Big grin

I'm surprised that Bush is not loved in NY where his fiscal policies are beloved by Wall Street....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Nordair

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:42 am

And I thought the four states in which he got high approval ratings were:

Catatonic

Delirium

Inebriated

Vegetative
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

MD-90

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
which is why every president since Reagan has demanded the line-item veto)

The President already has a de facto line item veto. He can always send a bill back if there's something in it that he disagrees with.

deltagator

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
And it is a shame to the republicans that after all their rhetoric, they have been guilty of doing exactly the same thing.

As a lifelong GOP member I have to agree with this statement. Shame on them!

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
They deserve to be slapped around hard in November for that.

Yes, they probably do. I just worry about the other side and what they would do.

It's the other 434 of them that are corrupt!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

cfalk

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 19):
The President already has a de facto line item veto. He can always send a bill back if there's something in it that he disagrees with.

No, because they always attach these amendments to large, important spending bills. Do you throw out the entire defence budget for next year because there are a few pork projects in there? It's a baby / bathwater thing, and that's the way Congress likes it.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 20):
Yes, they probably do. I just worry about the other side and what they would do.

That's the problem. As much as I am pissed off at the Republicans, I see the Democrats taking over Congress as an even worse scenario.

Which is why I want to see new parties.

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 20):
I just worry about the other side and what they would do.

What are you so afraid of Democrats for?
Another national holiday? Big grin

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 21):
I see the Democrats taking over Congress as an even worse scenario.

Look at the bright side, they can impeach Bush.
Bring back the Concorde

deltagator

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
What are you so afraid of Democrats for?

That's a whole other thread!

Another national holiday?

Any ideas what it could be? I could use a day off without having to blow a vacation day.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

cfalk

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:02 am

Look at the bright side, they can impeach Bush.

Look on the even brighter side - Cheney would become President! I always thought that Cheney would be a better president. Of course lefties won't like him because he's an evil businessman.

dl021

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):

Glad to see you've finally come around to support your Congress rep. Cynthia McKinney.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):

How can you blame the party out of power?

I'm guessing you did not effectively read the post you're quoting.

I was stating the results of several polls taken. I don't like or support my congresswoman, in fact I'm actively working to elect someone else. A democrat even.

I don't subscribe to the idea that my guy is better than the rest, because I think they're pretty much all interested in getting re-elected.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

bushpilot

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am

more pork then even Ted Stevens could even tolerate.

As one of the more liberal appearing folks around here, I love Stevens. As a life long Alaskan, he has done great work for AK. Sure he is an egotistical grizzled old man, but damn he can bring home the bacon, well used to when he was the Appropriations chair. Matter of fact, when I was in DC a few years ago, I toured the capital when Stevens was leaving that chairman ship, the pretty young intern showed us the App. committee chamber, above the door as your leaving, you walk under a green road sign that says ted stevens blvd.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
What we need are new political parties. Repubs and Dems have both gone off the rails.

I couldnt agree more and have said so many times on this site, I think we need one party that is a populist party.

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 14):
Rove won't even have to do that, the Democrats are going to blow this election on their own.

They very well could, right new I think they are in the mode of leaving the GOP alone and screwing themselves into the ground, it didnt work to well for Kerry in 04 though.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 19):

He hasnt vetoed a single bill. I am not sure just yet about the line item veto, it was deemed unconstitutional IIRC, but if he wanted to send a message and get serious about controlling spending and pork, he only need to refuse to sign a bill.
That being said, I think it is BS that they attach all these riders to the bills, throw in a few million here and there in the energy bill to build a clinic isnt right. We need more transparency in this government.

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 25):
I don't subscribe to the idea that my guy is better than the rest, because I think they're pretty much all interested in getting re-elected.

Point taken.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 24):
Look on the even brighter side - Cheney would become President! I always thought that Cheney would be a better president. Of course lefties won't like him because he's an evil businessman.

Uhh, Cheney IS the President. Bush is just a stupid puppet. Impeach them both.
Bring back the Concorde