Falcon84
Topic Author

Little Nervous About Friday

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:43 am

As you remember, I went through a rough time late last year/early this year, dealing with anxiety attacks and insomnia. The medications I'm on have really helped with both, but there's another thing going on that I'm going to get checked out on Friday.

Since the day before I left the hospital in November, I came down with these muscle twitches, mostly in my limbs. Back in December, they were pretty severe, probably because I had never dealt with that before. They kept me from sleeping, and really bothered me.

They don't keep me from sleeping, but the twitching, again mostly in my limbs, continues. On Friday I'll see a neurologist and get his opinion on what's up. It could be simply from stress; It could be from possibly the medication I had in the hospital? I don't know, or it could be neurological.

As you can guess, I'm a little up tight about what might be happening. I've come such a long way this year in my health-I've lost weight, my cholesterol is dropping, I'm walking 45 minutes every day, and I feel a lot better. I'm just hoping this isn't some other setback..

Cross your fingers, and I'll give you the 411 on it when I find out anything.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

RE: Little Nervous About Friday

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:46 am

Good luck and hopefully everything is ok  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 am

Falcon - Good luck and hope it all turns out well. I know what going through the doctor mill is like. If you have any concerns at all, write them down on a 3x5 card and stick it in your pocket. As a doctor friend used to tell me, "stand between the doctor and the door until all your questions are answered, if it takes that". It works!  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

Greyhound

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
As a doctor friend used to tell me, "stand between the doctor and the door until all your questions are answered, if it takes that". It works!

I'll echo those sentiments. Keep on top of the doctor because whether or not you get the treatment you need is more up to you sometimes. The way my doctors were with my asthma.... the first one didn't think sending me to an allergist was going to do any good. The second one (partially due to me pushing him a bit) sent me to an allergist and a good pulmonologist and they helped narrow things down even more. I didn't necessarily hear what I wanted to hear but it was better than sitting in limbo hearing an explanation of "well you just have pretty bad asthma and that's it" sort of thing. Like AeroWesty said... you have a definite need to know. If it helps, besides a little 3x5 card, take a good friend or family member along with you because maybe they'd be able to think of some questions that you wouldn't at that time.
29th, Let's Go!

aloges

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:32 am

Best wishes!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

YeahitsK

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:37 am

Not sure how bad your twitches are, but I had something similiar about a year and a half ago. It would typically just be one single muscle that would twitch in my quads or shoulders without rhyme or reason. I mentioned it during a physical, and they correlated it to something else they found during the physical- that I was dehydrated. My electrolyte levels were off (too high as they weren't diluted) and this was contributing to it. I do make a point to drink more water these days and the problem has mostly gone away. In my case it wasn't much to worry about, the larger problem of being chronically dehydrated was.
Let's play some Pitch...

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 5):

That was interesting. I never thought of that.
Work Right, Fly Hard

airbusA346

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:44 am

Good Luck

I know the message is short, but not now.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:08 am

Keep us posted . . . would like to know you're ok . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

andessmf

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 am

Falcon, I hope everything goes OK or better for you.

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 5):
In my case it wasn't much to worry about, the larger problem of being chronically dehydrated was.

I had some serious problems, that will be with me forever, for being dehydrated, too! (Dont ask for details, its too embarrassing). Now I try to keep up with my water intake as well as I can and it has made my 'problem' go away.

777236ER

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:31 am

As well are writing down all the questions you have, take a dictaphone in there with you. Then you can listen to exactly what the doctor said again and again in the comfort of your own home, without the understandable anxiety of being in his or her office.

Good luck man, keep up informed.
Your bone's got a little machine

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 10):

That might not be a bad idea. Thanks man.
Work Right, Fly Hard

redngold

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:50 am

Hey Falcon,

I would suggest you inquire about a sleep study. A sleep study is relatively expensive, but if you have good insurance, it is worth it. During the procedure you spend a night in a laboratory but the rooms are made up like small hotel rooms and are very comfortable. They monitor your EEG (brain waves), muscle movements in your forehead, neck, and lower legs, and air flow through your mouth and nose along with your pulse, respiration and blood oxygen levels. This will help determine if it's something at night that is causing your insomnia and neurological symptoms.

Also, some twitching is normal... A hiccup in the system, if you will... often attributed to stress for lack of a better explanation. It's unlikely that something given to you six months ago is still causing problems today, although given your anxiety level, it may *feel* that way.

I'm glad that you've been working on your health! I've also lost nearly seven pounds in as many months - a great turnaround for me, even if it's a small loss.

redngold
Up, up and away!

ABfemme

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:37 am

Sounds to me as if it's drug related - be sure to ask your neurologist about the medications you are on and if this is related. Otherwise it seems as if you are doing fine - ask away- that is what he is there for, hopefully he will put your mind at rest!

Best wishes

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 13):
Sounds to me as if it's drug related - be sure to ask your neurologist about the medications you are on and if this is related.

One problem there: the twitching started BEFORE I began the medications I'm currently on.
Work Right, Fly Hard

redngold

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 am

I'll rephrase what I said above: I doubt that any dose of medication given to you during your hospitalization(s) several months ago is still causing problems. However, if you are on a prescription today that was begun at the time of your hospitalization, then you could be experiencing cumulative side effects.

Make sure you either take all of your medications with you to your neuro appointment (including any over the counter medication that you take for recurring symptoms, and any vitamins/supplements that you take regularly), or make a list of them including the dosage and frequency and take the list. It is important that the doctor know about these. If s/he doesn't ask, tell.

redngold
Up, up and away!

GuitrThree

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:46 pm

I'll be away from the Computer until Sunday...

Hope all goes well.. let us know...

GT
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

jetjack74

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Cross your fingers, and I'll give you the 411 on it when I find out anything.

Falcon, you and I have had our run-ins. If I was to comment on what is wrong with you, it's that you're a screaming lib(only joking), but I hope all is well with you and the outcome is a good one. crossfingers  4 ya mate. Regards, Jack
Made from jets!

saxdiva

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey, Falcon--I don't have anything useful to add here, except to tell you good luck, and we'll send good centrist vibes your way.

Best,
Leanne