Cadet57
Topic Author

Aviation Industry Report For School, Help?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:35 am

Was not sure weather to put this here on civ-zv but here goes. For my eng 12 final I've picked the current state of the US airline industry for a 10 page essay, i've picked 10 items im going to cover and was wondering if anyone in the know would mind helping me out. Feel free to post here, PM or email or I'll be on aim on wed night at Iamthewalrus2k6. Thanks folks.

1) LCC'S
2) Unions
3) Fuel prices
4) Terrorism/security
5) Labor Costs
6) 9/11
7) overcapacity
8) economic recession
9) too many airlines?
10) crowded airports and cities
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

dtwclipper

RE: Aviation Industry Report For School, Help?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
was wondering if anyone in the know would mind helping me out.

Yes, try the library....sorry, but I don't think it's fair for you to ask us to do your school work.

10 pages is not to much for you to do a little research on your own.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

NeilYYZ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:00 am

Personally, I think that you might be better served to go into detail on fewer of the issues than just scratching the surface of the 10 seperate issues. 10 pages is not really a lot of room to cover the 10 topics that you posted.

If it were me, I would do a paper called "The Effects and Consequences of 9/11 on the American Airline Industry" and then go into detail on 4 or your 10 topics somehow, perhaps like this -

- 9/11, very breif recap of what happened (everyone knows but it sets the stage for the paper)

- Terrorism/Security changes post 9/11 (TSA, increased police presence, air marshalls etc...)

- Combine Economic Recession and Fuel Costs, talk about airlines that have hedged their fuel costs (ie. Southwest)

- LCC's and how for some time after 9/11 Southwest was the only airline to turn a profit, and the reasons that other airlines (ie. United & Northwest) went into bankruptcy, airlines removing seats and cutting routes.

- Finally I would show the profit margins for perhaps 5 years before 9/11 and the 5 years after it, and which airlines fared the best. Since there will be a difference between the profits of the airlines draw conclusions based on the Terrorism/Security changes and the Fuel Costs.

Who knows, that's just how I would do it.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

luv2fly

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:07 am

I have to say this NeilYYZ has a good idea!
You can cut the irony with a knife

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):
Yes, try the library....sorry, but I don't think it's fair for you to ask us to do your school work.

not asking for that. Asking for info, such as a Q and A thing or interview, i can do those you know. besides, my city and school libraries suck and there is no current books on the industry.

kmh1956

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:11 am

Another suggestion...deregulation of the airline industry during the Reagan administration and its long-reaching effects on the industry today.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):

10 pages is not to much for you to do a little research on your own.

He's only asking for help, not for us to write the paper.....jeez!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 2):

Who knows, that's just how I would do it.

I like it. But my friend is doing post 9/11 security and dont want to trod on his toes. But im thinking writing it on the things thats killing the industry right now. Fuel, unions and labor and a touch of recession and security.

But my origional goal was a page for each subject, heck I've already started the first 3... but I think I may try your idea.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 5):
Another suggestion...deregulation of the airline industry during the Reagan administration and its long-reaching effects on the industry today.

Thought Dereg was in the 1970's? correct me if im wrong.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
I have to say this NeilYYZ has a good idea!

I do too!

[Edited 2006-04-26 03:15:05]

kmh1956

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 am

Oops, my bad!! It was Carter, wasn't it? 1978.
Sorry...I'm not American and I'm having a hard enough time writing my own research papers on real and intellectual property law in the U.S.!!

Going back to my books now...hanging head in shame!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 7):
Going back to my books now...hanging head in shame!!

Oh its ok... I once made the mistake of saying look, theres a Southwest 757 on finals  blush 

PSA53

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
I once made the mistake of saying look, theres a Southwest 757 on finals

Wanna get away! Not on WN!(LOL)
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Hit the Libaray & do some Studying.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)