ffis34

Global Marijuana March?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:05 am

is this really such a thing...if so where is it....is it to make it legal or fight against it....im all for it if its to get it legalized...

brad

NeilYYZ

RE: Global Marijuana March?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:24 am

If there is one, I would think that it would be to make it legal, although I personally think that's a ridiculous idea. Next they'll be the march to legalize black tar heroin, that'll be really good for everybody.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

NIKV69

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 am

Not sure about the March but all drugs should be legalized. We spend way too much time and money fighting these dealers and all this other crap. If someone is stupid enough to kill themselves on it too bad. I mean cigarettes do the same thing just over a longer period of time so what is the difference?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
Not sure about the March but all drugs should be legalized. We spend way too much time and money fighting these dealers and all this other crap. If someone is stupid enough to kill themselves on it too bad. I mean cigarettes do the same thing just over a longer period of time so what is the difference?

Thanks for making me laugh! I'll let it be your kids to try the drugs first ok? I mean, if they're legal kids will experiment, they're going to push the boundaries as far as they can, every kid tries a smoke when they're young because it's something that they've been told is bad for them. And then a bit later they try a little marijuana because their older friends have heard that it's fun and won't get them into trouble. Before you know it, instead of kids being rebellious and trying marijuana they try some crack or heroin. Drugs should be 100% illegal with very stiff penalties, just because your old enough now to know that drugs are going to kill you and your wallet, doesn't mean that a 15 year old is. And once they get into that kind of crap, very few people get out of it, unless they die of course. If your a smoker, smoke, but if you started smoking after about 1975 - 1980 when they definitavely proved that it was killing people, you should have to pay for your own healthcare.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

NIKV69

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 3):
if they're legal kids will experiment

Oh since it's illegal now kids don't experiment?  crazy 

they're going to push the boundaries as far as they can,

They are not doing that now?  confused 

instead of kids being rebellious and trying marijuana they try some crack or heroin

Unless I have missed something everything you are describing is happening anyway. Legal or not. Kid's try drugs because of peer pressure, not because it is illegal. I mean hell murder is illegal but you won't see me trying it just because it is wrong for me to do so. The answer is to legalize it. Period.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):

Oh since it's illegal now kids don't experiment?

They do.

They are not doing that now?

They are.

Unless I have missed something everything you are describing is happening anyway. Legal or not. Kid's try drugs because of peer pressure, not because it is illegal. I mean hell murder is illegal but you won't see me trying it just because it is wrong for me to do so. The answer is to legalize it. Period.

It's an assinine idea to legalize all drugs, don't make it any easier for kids to make mistakes. Sure kids want to experiment, but presently they would have a hard time getting some heroin in grade 8, not so if it were legal. Good parenting and all, the rates of drug use will skyrocket if they're selling it in the schools. You say it costs too much money now, just wait until every 20th person shows up at the hospital with an OD, you don't think that's going to run a pretty nice bill.

jacobin777

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):

maybe you need to be in the medical profession...you'll then realise how bad drugs (even marijuana) can be.....

physically, emotionally, intellectually, financially, as well as socially.......drugs affect (and destroy) thousands (if not millions) of people and families...

not too endorsing now innit?
"Up the Irons!"

satx

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:19 am

Drugs exist to help weed out the weak-minded fools among us. Let 'em get on with it. The sooner they overdose the better. We didn't need 'em anyway.  Big grin
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Sabena332

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:30 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 7):
The sooner they overdose the better.

I will overdose on marijuana now.  Silly

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 8):
I will overdose on marijuana now.

As will I.  sarcastic 

NeilYYZ: You seem to think that everyone who uses illegal drugs ruins their life by becoming addicted to them. That clearly isn't the case with alcohol and tobacco, both of which are perfectly legal in most areas and enjoyed resposibly by the majority of their users. Sure, they're harmful, but what I put in my body is my choice and no concern of yours. Legalization of illegal drugs would reduce violent crime by eradicating the underground drug trade, generate massive amounts of revenues through "sin" taxes (as it would likely be distributed and regulated by the government), and save tax payers billions of dollars by removing non-violent drug offenders from our overcrowded prison system. People who use drugs are going to use them whether they're legal or not, it's time to stop wasting money on an unwinnable war on drugs and start taking a progressive approach to combating drug problems. Responsible drug users are no different than responsible alcohol users, and chronic drug users are no different than chronic alcohol users. Instead of wasting money trying to keep drugs off the street, why not use funds to provide drug education and rehabilitation services? I believe your country is doing just that in many areas, and has been very successful in doing so. The majority of the problems we have because of drugs (crime, prison overcrowding, etc.) are the result of their prohibition, not their use.

csavel

Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 am

Sticking strictly to marijuana, it is idiotic, and utterly indefensible by medicine, science, or law enforcement to keep it illegal. It should be immediately legal for adults subject to the same restrictions as alcohol is now.

The arguments that it is a gateway drug is facile and intellectually lazy. Nobody really believes it.

Most Americans have tried pot, most aren't drooling drug addicts.

Even if a drug addict says he started on pot and went on to selling self to support their crack habit,
you do not know whether or not they would have done it if there was no such thing as marijuana I.E. it isn't the marijuana that did it, it is their addictive personalities. And furthermore, people don't ask since it isn't illegal but I'd bet that every addict who says he started with pot really started with cigarettes and alcohol, but since they are legal those items aren't considered.
I feel bad about people in chains to drugs, just like I feel bad about alcoholics, but because some have an addiction problem for whatever reason, is no reason to criminalize millions of people.

We tried that in the US with prohibition in the twenties. We got corruption, lack of respect for the law since everyone was breaking it, and the rise of organized crime.

Now today drug prohibition breeds corruption, lack of respect for the law, and also a police/prison industrial complex, where residents of poor towns in my state (New York) and the prison guard union lobby against repeal of tough drug laws, not for legitimate law enforcement reasons, but FOR JOBS!! In other words, because Dannemora (town upstate with a big prison) has a piss poor economy, and because prison guards have a powerful union, we must create so-called criminals so we can provide jobs for people. How fucked-up is that?

In addition by making marijuana illegal, young people who may have addictive tendancies will be MORE LIKELY to have them realized. Why? Instead of going to the local store for a joint, little rebel goes to the local drug dealer, who may introduce little rebel to some special product.

I am in favor of legalizing all drugs but making people responsible for the actions. I will admit that a reasonable argument can be made for keeping hard drugs illegal, but this hysterical demonization of pot and the "gateway drug" urban legend, GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Sorry for being angry but I hvae reasons (see below).
I have a close friend who is a regular pot smoker, who is the most gentle man and who never hurt a fly who now has his life ruined because he was a "dangerous drug dealer!" yeah he's certainly dangerous when he's high - if you're a box of cookies. Now his life is ruined, he has a record, try getting work! He's bankrupt and emotionally destroyed. Has to pee in a cup, go to "substance abuse" counseling where he tells me he makes stuff up about a miserable child hood and how he was powerless against pot because he could go to jail if he isn't cooperative.

Another friend is in Sloan-Kettering in New York. He's 6'3'' and weighs 120 because the cancer ravages him. The doctors would love to let him smoke some weed so he'd have an appetite and be strong enough for chemo. EVERY DOCTOR at Sloan knows it helps with appetite, but they are afraid of being ruined. So my friend is in Sloan Kettering dying. I'm seripously thinking of how I can sneak some in and get him to smoke. So all you drug warriers in this forum, until you walk a mile in my friends' moccasins, you simply don't know what you are talking about.

[edited to tone it down a bit]

[Edited 2006-04-28 02:52:35]

[Edited 2006-04-28 02:55:48]
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

CaptainJon

Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 9):
As will I. sarcastic

NeilYYZ: You seem to think that everyone who uses illegal drugs ruins their life by becoming addicted to them. That clearly isn't the case with alcohol and tobacco, both of which are perfectly legal in most areas and enjoyed resposibly by the majority of their users. Sure, they're harmful, but what I put in my body is my choice and no concern of yours. Legalization of illegal drugs would reduce violent crime by eradicating the underground drug trade, generate massive amounts of revenues through "sin" taxes (as it would likely be distributed and regulated by the government), and save tax payers billions of dollars by removing non-violent drug offenders from our overcrowded prison system. People who use drugs are going to use them whether they're legal or not, it's time to stop wasting money on an unwinnable war on drugs and start taking a progressive approach to combating drug problems. Responsible drug users are no different than responsible alcohol users, and chronic drug users are no different than chronic alcohol users. Instead of wasting money trying to keep drugs off the street, why not use funds to provide drug education and rehabilitation services? I believe your country is doing just that in many areas, and has been very successful in doing so. The majority of the problems we have because of drugs (crime, prison overcrowding, etc.) are the result of their prohibition, not their use.

i 100% agree. if it is regulated then we know its pure as well. nothing laced and age controlled. violent crimes will go down, i agree totally. i believe long ago, we had a surgeon general that was sacked for suggesting this idea..

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 am

NeilYYZ: You seem to think that everyone who uses illegal drugs ruins their life by becoming addicted to them. That clearly isn't the case with alcohol and tobacco, both of which are perfectly legal in most areas and enjoyed resposibly by the majority of their users. Sure, they're harmful, but what I put in my body is my choice and no concern of yours.

I agree, I could care less what you do with your body, I don't want any future kids that I may have to even have the oppertunity to try them. Or anyone else in my family. We could cut down on the crime that goes along with drugs if we were to just make the penalties extremely harsh. Yes, it would cost money to incarcerate all those people, but hospitals won't have to deal with idiots that overdose or get a laced batch.

Quoting Csavel (Reply 10):
I have a close friend who is a regular pot smoker, who is the most gentle man and who never hurt a fly who now has his life ruined because he was a "dangerous drug dealer!" yeah he's certainly dangerous when he's high - if you're a box of cookies. Now his life is ruined, he has a record, try getting work! He's bankrupt and emotionally destroyed. Has to pee in a cup, go to "substance abuse" counseling where he tells me he makes stuff up about a miserable child hood and how he was powerless against pot because he could go to jail if he isn't cooperative.

Oh well, when you sell illegal substances to people, you know what might be coming your way. I'd count myself lucky if I only got to go to therapy for dealing drugs, I don't care if you deal cigarettes to young kids, or weed to people, it's illegal, it's not good for you, and jail is appropriate in my opinion.

jacobin777

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:11 am

NeilYYZ: You seem to think that everyone who uses illegal drugs ruins their life by becoming addicted to them

no..but tens of thousands do..and you seem to fail to see that...

"# Of the 7.1 million Americans classified with dependence on or abuse of illicit drugs, 4.3 million were dependent on or abused marijuana. This represents 1.8 percent of the total population aged 12 or older and 60.3 percent of all those classified with illicit drug dependence or abuse.
# Among past year users of heroin in 2002, 53.0 percent (0.2 million) were classified with dependence on or abuse of heroin. Among past year users of cocaine, 25.2 percent (1.5 million) were classified with dependence on or abuse of cocaine. Among past year users of marijuana, 16.7 percent (4.3 million) were classified with dependence on or abuse of marijuana"*

soure:U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

not to mention..

"n 2002 the SAMHSA Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) reported 670,307 drug-related visits in hospital emergency departments nationwide, an increase from the 518,880 reported in 1994. "*

*source: U.S. Department of Justice

Sure, they're harmful, but what I put in my body is my choice and no concern of yours.

wrong.....did you know suicide is illegal?

People who use drugs are going to use them whether they're legal or not

wrong again......illegality is a good deterrent...I know many who never have used drugs because of it....

Responsible drug users are no different than responsible alcohol users, and chronic drug users are no different than chronic alcohol users.

wrong again.......certain drugs such as crack, etc. are addictive after one or two uses...where as alcohol, which is drunk by millions of people can be consumed in moderation without setting an addiction...

Quoting Csavel (Reply 10):
Sticking strictly to marijuana, it is idiotic, and utterly indefensible by medicine, science, or law enforcement to keep it illegal

say what  confused 

do you people actually do any research before opening your gobs???

* About 12.5 % of persons aged 18 or older who reported lifetime marijuana use were classified as having a serious mental illness (SMI) in the past year.

* Adults who first used marijuana before age 12 (21%) were twice as likely as adults who first used marijuana at age 18 or older (10.5%) to be classified as having a serious mental illness in the past year.

SMI (Serious Mental Disorder) was highly correlated with substance dependence or abuse. Among adults with SMI in 2002, 23.2 percent were dependent on or abused alcohol or illicit drugs, while the rate among adults without SMI was only 8.2 percent. Adults with SMI were more likely than those without SMI to be dependent on or abuse illicit drugs (9.6 vs. 2.1 percent) and more likely to be dependent on or abuse alcohol (18.0 vs. 7.0 percent)

source:U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

these are some basic numbers...the effect of drugs on society is not calculable...
"Up the Irons!"

USAFHummer

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:19 am

Legalize it already!

Signed,
Boulder, Colorado
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
I agree, I could care less what you do with your body, I don't want any future kids that I may have to even have the oppertunity to try them. Or anyone else in my family. We could cut down on the crime that goes along with drugs if we were to just make the penalties extremely harsh. Yes, it would cost money to incarcerate all those people, but hospitals won't have to deal with idiots that overdose or get a laced batch.

I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about responsible adults (18+). Granted, kids are curious, and many are going to try drugs whether they are legal or not, just as they try alcohol and cigarettes now despite age restrictions. The key is to preventing them from trying drugs is to educate them about the negative effects they can have and answer any of their questions, including any about your own drug use or lack therof. That said, I can almost guarantee you that any future kids of yours will probably end up trying marijuana at some point in their lives. The vast majority of people my age that I know have, even though most of us were raised with drug education programs like D.A.R.E., anti-drug after-school specials featuring our favorite cartoon characters, and strict disciplinary policies regarding drugs in our schools. Preps, jocks, punks, nerds, honors kids...it makes no difference what high school clique they came from, the majority of them have smoked a J or two in their day, and the majority of them are doing just fine as succesful college students, reliable employees, reliable friends, soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan, and just about any other path of life you can go down after high school. Yes, there are some burnouts who need help, but they're easily in the minority. Recreational consumption of drugs like marijuana is no more harmful than an occassional night of drinking, not exercising or eating at McDonalds.

I'm not trying to come down on anyone who doesn't want their kid trying marijuana, I'm just saying that the vast majority of people my age (the majority of whom have great parents who did an admirable job of raising them as upstanding citizens of society) have tried marijuana. Furthermore, very few of them have become dependent on it, and even fewer have moved on to harder drugs. Naturally, it's still a parent's right to lay down the law with regards to what kind of behavior will be tolerated under their roof, and while I don't think that telling your kid not to smoke pot "or else" is going to keep them from trying it once or twice, I am inclined to say that those sorts of ground rules are effective when it comes to preventing them from becoming problem users. I don't claim to be an expert on parenting, drug use or anything like that, I'm just speaking from personal experience and observation.

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 13):

Actually, I do see that. They're wrong. I acknowledge that there is a problem with drug addiction in this country, but I refute the notion that everyone who tries a drug is going to become addicted to it. Virtually everyone I know (this encompasses people from many walks of lives) have tried illegal drugs, and very, very few have developed addictions.

"# Of the 7.1 million Americans classified with dependence on or abuse of illicit drugs, 4.3 million were dependent on or abused marijuana. This represents 1.8 percent of the total population aged 12 or older and 60.3 percent of all those classified with illicit drug dependence or abuse.

Yes, but millions more Americans who use marijuana are NOT dependent on the drug. Furthermore, 18 million Americans are alcoholics, and 44.5 million are addicted to cigarettes. I believe both of those are legal.

Furthermore, you can't overdose on marijuana. There are certainly negative health affects similar to those caused by tobacco smoke, but you can't stone yourself to death.

wrong.....did you know suicide is illegal?

Yes. I'm not sure what your point here is...

wrong again......illegality is a good deterrent...I know many who never have used drugs because of it....

If illegality is a good deterant, why have at least 97 million (32%) of Americans tried marijuana? These are fairly conservative numbers from the U.S. Department of Health, I suspect the percentage is much higher.

wrong again.......certain drugs such as crack, etc. are addictive after one or two uses...where as alcohol, which is drunk by millions of people can be consumed in moderation without setting an addiction...

And yet there are millions more Americans addicted to alcohol than all illegal drugs combined.

Perhaps you'd care to demonstrate the devastating effects that legal drugs have had on the Netherlands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

"Despite the legalization of soft drugs, use of cannabis in the Netherlands is not higher than most other countries in Western Europe: 9.7% of young males consume cannabis at least once a month, which rates the Netherlands 7th in the EU after Cyprus (23.3%), Spain (16.4%), United Kingdom (15.8%), France (13.2%), Italy (10.9%) and Germany (9.9%).

Some critics say that the legalization of soft drugs often leads to quicker consuming of harddrugs. Yet, the percentage of the population which ever consumed cocaine in the Netherlands is still lower than that of the United Kingdom, Spain and Italy. The situation is similar for other hard drugs."

[Edited 2006-04-28 04:05:44]

rolfen

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting Ffis34 (Thread starter):
is this really such a thing...if so where is it....is it to make it legal or fight against it....im all for it if its to get it legalized...

Well the main problem with that is that you will not want to do a lot of marching after smoking marijuana  Wink
rolf

csavel

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:49 am

* About 12.5 % of persons aged 18 or older who reported lifetime marijuana use were classified as having a serious mental illness (SMI) in the past year.

What percentage of persons aged 18 or older who did not report lifetime marijuana use were classified as having a SMI in the past year?
I think I shall go look it up and report back.

* Adults who first used marijuana before age 12 (21%) were twice as likely as adults who first used marijuana at age 18 or older (10.5%) to be classified as having a serious mental illness in the past year.

I'm not surprised! Correlation in this case does not mean causality. What I'm saying is that this proves nothing about the dangers of drugs, rather it seems more of a clarion call to get good mental health care even to pre-teens.
To wit. Adults who looked at porn at age 12 were probably more likely to have an SMI. Adults who were having sex at age 12 were more likely of having an SMI. And frankly, a 12 year old who is sneaking pot, or cigarettes, or alcohol, already has some serious issues. Beaver Cleaver isn't smoking a big spliff at 12. To use those stats as proof of the inherent evils and dangers of marijuana is disingenuous and frankly, mendacious.

*SMI (Serious Mental Disorder) was highly correlated with substance dependence or abuse. Among adults with SMI in 2002, 23.2 percent were dependent on or abused alcohol or illicit drugs, while the rate among adults without SMI was only 8.2 percent. Adults with SMI were more likely than those without SMI to be dependent on or abuse illicit drugs (9.6 vs. 2.1 percent) and more likely to be dependent on or abuse alcohol (18.0 vs. 7.0 percent)

Again, correlation doesn't equate to causality, and since alcohol and all illicit drugs are lumed together, and my post which you dismissed was related strictly to marijuana, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

A little statistics thrown about is a most dangerous thing. Another example is when drug warriors quote the numbers of persons seeking substance abuse help for marijuana. While I am sure thare are many, DHS counts ANYONE who is forced by parents or courts to get substance abuse treatment as seeking it.
Technically true, but it certainly doesn't mean what a layperson thinks it means.

Oh well, when you sell illegal substances to people, you know what might be coming your way. I'd count myself lucky if I only got to go to therapy for dealing drugs, I don't care if you deal cigarettes to young kids, or weed to people, it's illegal, it's not good for you, and jail is appropriate in my opinion.

Sounds like flame bait. Oh well, a lot of that goes on here.

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:00 pm

I don't care if you deal cigarettes to young kids, or weed to people, it's illegal, it's not good for you, and jail is appropriate in my opinion.

B.S! There are plenty of things in this country that are perfectly legal and not good for you. Heart disease kills countless droves more people than illegal drugs do; should we make fast food illegal? Howabout red meat?

Almost all of us enjoy food that isn't good for our bodies, and I'm willing to bet that none of us would support the government banning them based on the fact that they aren't good for us. Why? Because what goes into our bodies is none of their damned business! The same logic holds true for alcohol, tobacco and drugs, although individuals should be held accountable for their actions while under the influence of said substances.

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:23 pm

Quoting Csavel (Reply 18):

Sounds like flame bait. Oh well, a lot of that goes on here.

Not flame bait at all. That's the way I feel, I had a friend land in the state sponsored hotel for dealing marijuana, I have not talked to him since, I don't want to be associated with those types of people. It is illegal, and saying that we should legalize them is pointless, it will just never happen! People can say that marijuana is not that bad, okay, in the long run, maybe it's not, but it still alters your state of mind so I sure as hell don't want to be on the road with people that are high. I also don't want to get caught up in some bust because my friend is dealing. Whether people agree with it or not, breaking the law leads to being punished, and dealing marijuana is breaking the law.

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 19):
B.S! There are plenty of things in this country that are perfectly legal and not good for you. Heart disease kills countless droves more people than illegal drugs do; should we make fast food illegal? Howabout red meat?

That's just a bad example. How can you compare drugs, which leave people on the street, homeless, junkies stealing for money for their next fix to people eating red meat. Red meat never left anyone homeless, yes, we all do things that are bad for us, but most of us don't and shouldn't do things that could leave us on the street. Everyone says that they're just experimenting, sure, until you find yourself addicted and homeless or even worse dead in some ally.

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 20):
That's just a bad example. How can you compare drugs, which leave people on the street, homeless, junkies stealing for money for their next fix to people eating red meat. Red meat never left anyone homeless, yes, we all do things that are bad for us, but most of us don't and shouldn't do things that could leave us on the street. Everyone says that they're just experimenting, sure, until you find yourself addicted and homeless or even worse dead in some ally.

Once again, you're talking about a minority of users. Contrary to what D.A.R.E. told me in elementary school, most people who use drugs aren't going to end up as homeless criminals. I think you'd be surprised at how many productive members of society are responsible drug users.

I'm not saying your points aren't legitimate. Drug addiction is certainly a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but you seem to think that everyone who uses drugs is going to end up in a gutter somewhere. This simply isn't the case. Alcoholism is a much more serious problem in North America than drug abuse, do you think that alcohol should be banned too? Personally, I don't differentiate much between the two...the majority of the people who use each substance do so in a responsible manner.

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 21):
Once again, you're talking about a minority of users. Contrary to what D.A.R.E. told me in elementary school, most people who use drugs aren't going to end up as homeless criminals. I think you'd be surprised at how many productive members of society are responsible drug users.

I'm not saying your points aren't legitimate. Drug addiction is certainly a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but you seem to think that everyone who uses drugs is going to end up in a gutter somewhere. This simply isn't the case. Alcoholism is a much more serious problem in North America than drug abuse, do you think that alcohol should be banned too? Personally, I don't differentiate much between the two...the majority of the people who use each substance do so in a responsible manner.

I'll go along with the notion that there are people who use drugs that don't get addicted. However, if this is the case, and I'm sure it is, I really don't know firsthand, I've stayed away from drugs my whole life (not alcohol though, but drugs that people commonly relate with the word), do you not think that by legalizing it and making it more accessable it will increase the addiction rate. I'm not saying that a greater percentage of people that use will get addicted, rather that the numbers of people using will increase and thus, the number of addicted users will increase in some sort type of linear fashion. I see people doing drugs on an almost daily basis in Toronto behind buildings, in between dumpsters and the like, it's not the type of situation that anyone should be in, and that's why I think that making them illegal is the only way to stop it.

On a little side note, I did work at a club last year as a doorman, we got a call on the radio that a girl had OD'd in the bathroom, we ran up and got her outside where the paramedics were already waiting, but she was having seizure after seizure, foaming at the mouth, garbage like that. I went to the hospital with the manager of the club, she died about an hour later, it was a violent and unnecessary death. If you legalize drugs you're just asking for more cases like this, people trying it for the first time, not knowing what they're doing and ending up in a really bad spot.

rolfen

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:54 am

I dont think it's the gouvernment's job to keep people from messing up their own lives.
rolf

KROC

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 23):
I dont think it's the gouvernment's job to keep people from messing up their own lives.

Problem is, when people like stoners start messing up their lives, they tend to take others down with them...

csavel

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 24):
Problem is, when people like stoners start messing up their lives, they tend to take others down with them...

As do alcoholics, who mess up their families. As do compulsive overeaters, as do compulsive gamblers, as do smokers when they get lung cancer. None of those are illegal, so why should smoking pot?

An alcoholic, unless he commits an actual crime isn't going to jail. A pot smoker is. Why?

KROC

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Csavel (Reply 25):
As do alcoholics, who mess up their families. As do compulsive overeaters, as do compulsive gamblers, as do smokers when they get lung cancer. None of those are illegal, so why should smoking pot?

An alcoholic, unless he commits an actual crime isn't going to jail. A pot smoker is. Why?

Why should it? All it is, is one more mind altering substance out there than we have to deal with. I don't want some burn out crashing into my car because he has no reaction time. I don't want some blunt burner fucking up my change at the local fast food place. Should I go on? And sure, that can eb said for alcoholics as well, but the line needs to be drawn.

jacobin777

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 24):

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 6):

physically, emotionally, intellectually, financially, as well as socially.......drugs affect (and destroy) thousands (if not millions) of people and families...

checkmark 

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 16):
Actually, I do see that. They're wrong. I acknowledge that there is a problem with drug addiction in this country, but I refute the notion that everyone who tries a drug is going to become addicted to it. Virtually everyone I know (this encompasses people from many walks of lives) have tried illegal drugs, and very, very few have developed addictions.

ok..so you are going to against all the data and statistics shown.....and no one is saying that "everyone" who tries drugs becomes addicted..but if drugs became legal, more people would be inclined to think there is nothing wrong with using drugs, which would definitely show a massive spike in addiction stats....

Yes, but millions more Americans who use marijuana are NOT dependent on the drug. Furthermore, 18 million Americans are alcoholics, and 44.5 million are addicted to cigarettes. I believe both of those are legal.

what does the fact that millions aren't? there is more than enough data to show that marijuana is not a good drug for recreational use....
not to mention, marijuana has a lot of effects...

such as (but not limited to)

Sleepiness
Difficulty keeping track of time
impaired or reduced short-term memory
Impairments in learning, memory, perception, and judgment - difficulty speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving, and forming concepts

source:http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/effects-of-marijuana.htm

"Marijuana smoke contains some of the same cancer-causing compounds as tobacco, sometimes in higher concentrations.Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day."

source:
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Marijuana
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Yes. I'm not sure what your point here is...

one can't do whatever they want to themselves......thats the law..if one doesn't like it, one could have it changed....

If illegality is a good deterant, why have at least 97 million (32%) of Americans tried marijuana? These are fairly conservative numbers from the U.S. Department of Health, I suspect the percentage is much higher.

illegal is illegal....just because people have used it doesn't mean anything...

everyone (almost everyone) does a little speeding....over 55 on the expressway, over 15 in a 15MPH zone....does that make it legal?

And yet there are millions more Americans addicted to alcohol than all illegal drugs combined.

and your point being?

Perhaps you'd care to demonstrate the devastating effects that legal drugs have had on the Netherlands?

and its still illegal in the Netherlands, but they have a different approach to the situation....

Some critics say that the legalization of soft drugs often leads to quicker consuming of harddrugs. Yet, the percentage of the population which ever consumed cocaine in the Netherlands is still lower than that of the United Kingdom, Spain and Italy. The situation is similar for other hard drugs."

I'm not surprised! Correlation in this case does not mean causality.

and in many cases it does...it depends on socio-economic situations also....regarding marijuana use in the United States, it has shown to be true..

and it certainly doesn't discredit what the health consequences of marijuana (listed above) are......

Again, correlation doesn't equate to causality, and since alcohol and all illicit drugs are lumed together, and my post which you dismissed was related strictly to marijuana, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

FYI..alcohol and illicit drugs are not "lumped together"....

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 21):
I'm not saying your points aren't legitimate. Drug addiction is certainly a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but you seem to think that everyone who uses drugs is going to end up in a gutter somewhere.

is that what I said?

"Up the Irons!"

DLPMMM

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:27 am

Dude,

I was going to go to the marijuana march but then ah...ah....ah...where was I?... oh Yea!..I was going to...hee hee hee, you gonna eat that doughnut?.... my tongue itches...hee hee....have you seen my skate board?....Wow! look at the colors!!....

gunsontheroof

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 27):
not to mention, marijuana has a lot of effects...

such as (but not limited to)

Sleepiness
Difficulty keeping track of time
impaired or reduced short-term memory
Impairments in learning, memory, perception, and judgment - difficulty speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving, and forming concepts

I don't see anything there that's worse than anything legal drugs (alcohol, nicotine) are going to do to you with regular use. Besides, I know plenty of college graduates, PhD's and brilliant college students who seem to enjoy the drug on a recreational basis without a problem.

Marijuana is just like anything else (alcohol, fatty foods, cigars...) in that you're not going to ruin your life with it if you consume it in moderation. I'm willing to bet that the majority of a.netters wouldn't support illegalization of firearms just because a minority of gunowners kill innocent people...far, far, far less people die in marijuana related incidents than gun incidents, why should it be regulated any differently?

illegal is illegal....just because people have used it doesn't mean anything...

Actually, it refutes your point that prohibition is an effective deterrent.

is that what I said?

Note that I wasn't quoting you.

and its still illegal in the Netherlands, but they have a different approach to the situation....

Seems to be working out alright for them, why can't we give it a shot?

dahawaiian

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:35 pm

Will some of you people quit it with the "its all about the kids" crap for once? This is the approach that anti-marijuana drug warriors use all the time to defend their position in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The kids are important, but what about the responsible adults? We are in desperate need of sensible marijuana laws.

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 29):
Marijuana is just like anything else (alcohol, fatty foods, cigars...) in that you're not going to ruin your life with it if you consume it in moderation.

checkmark 

Truer words were never spoken (or posted)!

It is absolutely not dangerous when you consume it in moderation. It is actually better than alcohol because you don't get a hangover from it, smoke a nice joint in the evening, sleep 6 or 7 hours and everything is ok on the next morning, no headache, no stomach problems, etc.

I know plenty of college graduates, PhD's and brilliant college students who seem to enjoy the drug on a recreational basis without a problem.

Same here, I know for example a surgeon, a high-school teacher, a manager of a public transport company, a cell phone network engineer, etc. and all of them are smoking weed in the evening to relax. I wouldn't say that the weed fucked up their lifes, in fact all of them are getting a fat ass paycheck every month.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

nitrohelper

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:22 am

The only time I say NO to pot is when they ask "have you had enough?"
Don't smoke pot when you're stoned, because you don't get higher & your stash gets lower!
There are only three dangers to smoking pot :
# 1 COPS
# 2 It hurts your memory
# 3 Umm,sorry I don't remember
I'm founder & Chairman of the "Save The Kids" foundation.
We try to destroy all the weed we can find by "burning" it . Members Worldwide. cool 
Last night we saved a whole class of 8th graders from Reefer Madness !

You want to get something to eat?  cloudnine 

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
Same here, I know for example a surgeon, a high-school teacher, a manager of a public transport company, a cell phone network engineer, etc. and all of them are smoking weed in the evening to relax. I wouldn't say that the weed fucked up their lifes, in fact all of them are getting a fat ass paycheck every month.

If people need to smoke weed to relax, then they're pathetic. If you need mind altering drugs to have a good time. To relax. To cope with life, then do us all a favor and Kurt Kobain yourselves.

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 33):
If people need to smoke weed to relax, then they're pathetic.

Do you think the same about people who drink a beer at home after work?

Patrick

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:54 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 34):
Do you think the same about people who drink a beer at home after work?

If they need to relax, cope, or have a good time, then yes.

jacobin777

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:07 am

Note that I wasn't quoting you.

my bad  crazy 

I don't see anything there that's worse than anything legal drugs (alcohol, nicotine) are going to do to you with regular use. Besides, I know plenty of college graduates, PhD's and brilliant college students who seem to enjoy the drug on a recreational basis without a problem.

the effects marjiuana versus that of a couple of beers is large..

once again, you just don't want to accept the truth of what marijuana does..

"The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase(11). A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke(14)."

source:National Institute of Drug Abuse..

Actually, it refutes your point that prohibition is an effective deterrent.

actuall it doesn't..

Seems to be working out alright for them, why can't we give it a shot?

once again, our social structure is setup differently.....and who's calling it a "success"...more like "toleration",to which even the various Netherland Govt. authorities have mentioned

Quoting Dahawaiian (Reply 30):
Will some of you people quit it with the "its all about the kids" crap for once? This is the approach that anti-marijuana drug warriors use all the time to defend their position in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The kids are important, but what about the responsible adults? We are in desperate need of sensible marijuana laws.

who says its just "about the kids"....and where do yo uget "overwhelming evidence to the contrary" (not to mention, you have yet show any of this so-called "overwhelming evidence"....if anything, I've shown the overwhelming evidence......

It is absolutely not dangerous when you consume it in moderation. It is actually better than alcohol because you don't get a hangover from it, smoke a nice joint in the evening, sleep 6 or 7 hours and everything is ok on the next morning, no headache, no stomach problems, etc.

wrong....!

you might know a thing or two about avation, but it seems your knowledge in science and immunology is a bit week...

here's a hint..read above on some of my listed effects on marijuana usage..

..and what does many have to do with drug use/abuse? many hollywood stars rack in the big bucks also....

also, does that mean Bill Gates-III should be allowed to use as much drugs as he wants, since I doubt it will affect him too much financially? I don't think he has a problem buying a lifetime's supply of drugs...for about 1000 generations non less... spin 
"Up the Irons!"

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 36):
once again, you just don't want to accept the truth of what marijuana does..

I know what it is doing because I smoke it since 12 years with a few longer or shorter breaks in between.

wrong....!

Not wrong!

here's a hint..read above on some of my listed effects on marijuana usage..

Let's see:

"The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning

Not true, I made an apprenticeship as a clerk, I studied business economics, I managed it to pass countless tests and exams while smoking weed.

distorted perception

See above.

difficulty in thinking and problem solving

Utter rubbish, weed makes you actually pretty creative.

loss of coordination

Ridiculous.

and increased heart rate

That is the only point I agree with and the only thing that happened to me after smoking weed.

..and what does many have to do with drug use/abuse?

I just wanted to say that all of these people have pretty responsible jobs and that all of them are still able to do their jobs properly despite they are smoking.

By the way, have you ever smoked it? Do you have some experience to back up all the statements above?

Patrick

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 37):
Utter rubbish, weed makes you actually pretty creative.

Speaking of Rubbish. Maybe I should tell my boss "Hang on a sec boss, I gotta smoke this joint so I can be creative for the meeting". Thats rubbish.

Also what is rubbish is tryin to ignore all of the straight up proven facts Jacobin is posting. Then again, blunt burners hate it when facts prove how harmful their "hobby" is.

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 38):
Maybe I should tell my boss "Hang on a sec boss, I gotta smoke this joint so I can be creative for the meeting". Thats rubbish.

Yes, it is rubbish, alcohol and drugs at work don't fit together. As I wrote, I smoke it only in the evening when I am at home.

Sure, there are many people around who fire up their bong a few minutes after they wake up and here I can absolutely understand when they fuck up.

Quoting KROC (Reply 38):
Also what is rubbish is tryin to ignore all of the straight up proven facts Jacobin is posting.

As I wrote, I never experienced any of these "proven facts" despite of an increased heartbeat.

Quoting KROC (Reply 38):
Then again, blunt burners hate it when facts prove how harmful their "hobby" is.

And non blunt burners seem to enjoy it to make weed look worse than it is actually.

Patrick

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 39):
And non blunt burners seem to enjoy it to make weed look worse than it is actually.

Frying hippie lettuce isn't as bad as doing lines, or shooting H, but lets face it. The facts are there about all the ill effects it can and will produce. The friars can never admit that.

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 40):
The facts are there about all the ill effects it can and will produce.

Yes, when you overdo it.

Patrick

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 41):
Yes, when you overdo it.

Right, a daily basis is over doing it... A few times a week is over doing it... The negative effects don't kick in at a certain point...

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 42):
Right, a daily basis is over doing it... A few times a week is over doing it...

How can you know that smoking it on a daily basis is overdoing it?

Patrick

KROC

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 43):
How can you know that smoking it on a daily basis is overdoing it?

Have a conversation with a daily user after a couple years and you can tell.

aero145

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 am

Quote:
Patrick

When I read the title of this thread, I just couldn't belive you not posting here. And I was correct!  Smile Will you ever make a non-post on a marijuana thread?  Wink Silly

-David  drunk 

nitrohelper

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:45 am

source:National Institute of Drug Abuse..

This is not a source that I would expect to be independent or credible. Some people experiment with drugs ,but for the past 30+ years I've been doing full blown research!
 hyper   yawn   zzz 
I don't think pot is as bad as alcohol. A burner won't cause the violence that most juicers do when they are on overload ! Ask most cops who they would want to deal with at 2:00am?

jafa39

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:10 am

As usual, the medical profession and those who have bothered to do the research are being flamed by the pot-heads and weak-willed no-bodies who are in denial of the facts.

The facts are:

The world would be a better place if there were no drugs than if there were lots of drugs.

I've been there, done that and seen the effects, even the minor effects, medical research into addcition and mental health is being ignored here, drugs mess your head up.

The difference with booze and fags is that they mess your body up rather than your head and unlike crack. meth and skag, you cannot become a ncotine or booze junkie in one weekend.

If you are happy to have drug-ravaged people driving about the place and walking the streets at night..go for it..you WILL see the error of your ways...when it is too late.

All these de-criminalised drugs won't be paid for by people who have a strong work ethic and go and do overtime to pay for their habit, addcitive drugs reduce motivation and morals and so a greater proportion of society will need a larger amount of money and have less desire to earn it.

I was a lazy fuck-wit when I smoked weed, I was irrational, unmotivated, had a "them and us" mentality and was generally part of the problem.

Once I wised up and realised that the people i knew who still smoked weed had gone nowhere in the last decade and are still there, I got my life on track, if i could turn back the clock I would have refused that first spliff and my life would be better for it, there is nothing wrong with working for a living and paying your taxes....

I know a lot of people who have suffered, or are still suffering Pot-induced mental illnesses, one of them is about to go to prison for a very long time to recompense society for the trouble his paranoia and psychosis have caused.

The truth is out there but people keep ignoring it.

So, Sabena332 is a pot-head and holds down a job, fine, all good, but people with less motivation and discipline than Patrick will fall through the cracks, addcition rates and the social problems will soar.

And that cycle all starts with the legalisation of weed.

If the world didn't need protecting from itself, it might work.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Sabena332

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 47):
So, Sabena332 is a pot-head and holds down a job, fine, all good, but people with less motivation and discipline than Patrick will fall through the cracks, addcition rates and the social problems will soar.

Funny, I don't know anyone whoms live was "ruined" because of weed, I don't know anyone who is suffering from psychologic problems because he/she is smoking weed! I know many people who smoke weed and all of them have a job - and even better - all of them have a pretty responsible job in a high position. And all of them take their jobs very serious. The same here on A.net, we have a lot of weed smokers but all of them have a pretty good job or are studying at a very good university. Can that stuff so bad then?

On the other hand I know plenty of people who lost their jobs, thier family, their friends, etc. because of alcohol. Ok, this is not a weed vs. alcohol discussion but I want to point out that alcohol can be much more dangerous than weed, especially when you drink hard booze. Still nobody is complaining about booze yet, just because some people decided ages ago that booze is legal and weed not. That is ridiculous.

As I wrote, I have no problems to "organize" my life, it is just a question of how much you are smoking and of how much weed you can handle. Yes, there are probably a lot of people who smoke weed despite they can't handle it and end up at the white stuff, or H, or tickets, etc. or suffer from the aforementioned problems from weed (which is still hard to believe for me, but ok).

Honestly, I tried every drug I could get in my life, I simply wanted to try it and experience the trip. But... I never, ever could imagine that I take H or tickets regulary. I saw that weed is "not bad" for a frequent use (of course not smoking 5 heads a day) and that it is actually better than drinking booze regulary.

Should it be legalized? Difficult question. I would like it of course but it can also cause too many problems.

Patrick

Edit, Grammar Error <- It's the weed's fault  Wink

[Edited 2006-04-30 00:47:36]

rolfen

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 33):
If people need to smoke weed to relax, then they're pathetic.

How different are they from people who take drugs such as Lexotanil to relax?
Those prescription drugs are perfectly legal and even advertized. How are these less pathetic than weed?
rolf