ba757gla

Your Take On The UK

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:01 am

INTERSTING to here from a foreigner especially a frenchperson.

Sabena332

RE: Your Take On The UK

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:02 am

Expensive.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

pilotsmoe

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:04 am

You guys drive on the wrong side of the road
also, why does the UK need to have a different gallon than the us? Dosen't make any sense

[Edited 2006-04-29 02:06:55]

QANTASforever

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:05 am

The UK is very INTERSTING, that's what I here.

Good lord.

Seriously - the UK is excellent, great destination. Lovely buildings, interesting culture, no shortage of places of historical interest, great arts scene, and the food is MUCH better than it used to be.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Cadet57

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Ba757gla (Thread starter):
frenchperson.

IDK if you want us to do that  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

lentigomaligna

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:41 am

Basically America with a queen, driving on the left, and funny accents  Wink

BA767s

Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 5):
and funny accents

Our accent is normal its yours thats funny.

John
Come on, let's fly!

lentigomaligna

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting BA767s (Reply 6):
Our accent is normal its yours thats funny.

Ya i know, more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Banco

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 2):
also, why does the UK need to have a different gallon than the us? Dosen't make any sense

You do realise that it was you lot that changed it, not us?

You guys drive on the wrong side of the road

Well, if you want to follow the lead of the French, that's up to you...  Wink

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 3):
and the food is MUCH better than it used to be.

How could it not be?  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:25 pm

the UK need to have a different gallon than the us?

they have LITERS, so who cares about medieval measurements !

Daleaholic

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:11 pm

If you manage to get out of london, you realise that the UK is a very nice place. Especially the countryside. I do however, feel that chavs are multiplying, please help stop this if you can!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

N1120A

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:17 pm

and the food is MUCH better than it used to be.

Well, it had nowhere to go but up. The UK has definately taken advantage of international and colonial influence to improve the food quality.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 10):
If you manage to get out of london, you realise that the UK is a very nice place

London is an amazing city. Having lived in 4 metropolitan areas in my life, London will always be my second home

As an American, I will say that the US and UK are actually very different places. Other than the common law and English, our countries have had very different experiences and come out differently. I love both countries and find them to be good complimentaries of the other.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ME AVN FAN

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 10):
out of london

well, exactly London is my favourite city in the world. The English countryside is ok, and there are nice towns around like Exeter, Bournemouth, Cambridge etc.

7LBAC111

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:25 pm

The UK is very INTERSTING, that's what I here.

If you want to be an arse and correct peoples spelling, try to ensure you spell things correctly yourself. Try 'hear'. Big grin

As for the UK - In my opinion its a nice place to look at. Thats as far as it goes. Otherwise its a poorly governed, highly taxed, corrupted haven for political correctness.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
food quality.

well, English cuisine is .........., but the choice of restaurant-cuisines in London is absolutely top. In countries with better cuisines, the choice usually is less wide than in London.

N1120A

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 13):
Otherwise its a poorly governed, highly taxed, corrupted haven for political correctness.

Well, since Tony Blair decided to become George Bush's whipping boy, there is some truth to the poorly governed part, but I have to disagree as far as highly taxed. The average Briton pays 1% less in income taxes than the average American.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

QANTASforever

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 13):
If you want to be an arse and correct peoples spelling, try to ensure you spell things correctly yourself. Try 'hear'.

Yeah sure

I see that subtlety isn't your strong point. Read the thread opener, and pay attention to the spelling.

It was a joke, by the way.

QFF

ltbewr

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:12 pm

I have been fortunate to have been to the UK 8 times, including Scotland and Wales. I have been in London each time, and it remains one of my favorite cities to visit. Yes, some things can be expensive with the exchange rates, but outside of the cities, most prices tend to be more reasonable. There is something about driving through a town in the countryside made of stone, or the moors of Yorkshire, the mountains of Scotland and Wales, the coastline that I have found enjoyable in each visit. Yes, I do like your fine ales and the food is a lot less dodgy that it used to be. Of course, you have your 'chavs' and share of jerks, but most of the people (except on some Motorways and roundabouts) I came across were pretty nice. I do wish you would join the rest of the world and drive on our side of the road however....

RichardPrice

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Out of interest, is Qantasforever (joined Apr 2001, 4690 posts, 24 RR) and QANTASFOREVER (joined Apr 2001, 4690 posts, 24 RR) the same person, and if so how the hell do you alter the capitalisation of your username?  Smile

QANTASforever

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 18):
Out of interest, is Qantasforever (joined Apr 2001, 4690 posts, 24 RR) and QANTASFOREVER (joined Apr 2001, 4690 posts, 24 RR) the same person, and if so how the hell do you alter the capitalisation of your username?

Yes, it's all me. It just comes out depending on how I type my username when I log in.

Is this not the case for everyone?

RichardPrice

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Oh thats interesting! Never actually tried that, how did you discover it?

ClassicLover

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:26 pm

London is stupidly expensive, especially for food... very clean, heaps cleaner than Dublin. Lots to see... the people I've met haven't made any impression on me though!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

QANTASforever

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 20):
Oh thats interesting! Never actually tried that, how did you discover it?

Never really took that much notice of it really.

QFF

ABfemme

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:32 am

UK is good and bad, good pubs real ale. But I'd say it's declining - Litter, ££££, chav's (twats) the weather - crap, Poll tax - Christ I could go on and on ..........

Guess I am stuck here - we put up with a lot - but we are fortunate when you look at other Countries.........

We may even win the World Cup OMG !!  Wow!
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

SmithAir747

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:33 am

I've lived in the UK for two years now, as an American student at King's College London (London Bridge campus, Guy's Hospital).

Good things I've experienced here in London:

1) The excellence of the UK university system, including King's College London, one of the world's renowned research universities (at least in medicine). I'm doing very well in my courses there, and I have been getting the best education there.
2) The UK is among the world leaders in craniofacial development and craniofacial anomalies research. This is the field I am studying for at KCL; I want to make a career in craniofacial anomalies research. My education at KCL is preparing me very well for such a future career; I even have the opportunity to work in the craniofacial research labs there this summer (if I get a grant) and next year!
3) London is a great city to just walk around in! I have been walking miles and miles all over London, just to get to know the area well (and discovering new routes such as skinny back streets, walkways, etc). I can even walk to campus!
4) LHR is a great place to go spotting every Saturday with my camera (if the weather is nice!).
5) I am able to live in central London in a hall of residence--food included, and it's easy to get everywhere in central London from there just by walking.
6) I have managed to make quite a few friends (mainly with people within KCL's community, as well as people in my church here, etc), but it takes time--when you know that the people here are very reserved.

Bad things I've experienced here in London:

1) The weather is crap more often than not--that includes when I go out to LHR for spotting!
2) Litter and trash everywhere--like a giant toilet!
3) Everything in the UK is so EXPENSIVE! Restaurants, public transport, everything! I save money--by AVOIDING the restaurants, public transport (I can walk to most places in central London, including KCL campus), the tourist sites (I've seen them already; they rip you off!), the shops, etc. The only times I really use the tube are for going out to LHR for spotting, and if I need to get to an examination venue (those are off campus), or if I have to get somewhere quick by bus directly from Russell Square, etc.
4) It's VERY hard to crack through the icy exterior of UK strangers; you really have to know someone or have connections to make a friend. I'm a very perceptive person, able to (almost telepathically) read people (their moods, personality, etc), but in England, the people are almost IMPOSSIBLE to read--because of this icy, reserved "shell" they have! I can't tell if a person here is a friendly type or not because of this shell. I have to admit, that people with this personality type tend to intimidate me a bit, as I am kind of shy myself around strangers.
5) London churches (especially of the C of E type) are very impersonal, with a clique- or club-type atmosphere; they are more museum than church, and I have always felt like an alien or an outsider, not at all welcome in an English church. However, I have found an American church near where I live--very welcoming.
6) The well-known, bland English cuisine, but the variety of food is getting better--thanks to the increasingly diverse population with their food traditions.
7) The rabid near-worship of soccer ("football") and its attendant hooliganism!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

speedbirdcrew

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 9):
they have LITERS,

No we have Litres.
 stirthepot 

n229nw

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:34 am

Well if I had a choice I'd live permanently in London (maybe will happen eventually), and it will always feel like a second home to me.

OK, here's a long post that probably no one gives a crap about but you asked...

Plusses for me of the UK:
--HUMO(U)R: English (esp.) humor is rightly world-renowned. People love to laugh, including at themselves. Ingenius comedy from Jonathan Swift to Gilbert and Sullivan, from Monty Python to Ali G. But also just a daily clever and light-hearted approach to language, life, etc.
--The most beautiful country I've seen. Landscapes and natural settings …the deciduous forests, general verdant nature, the gentle hills and dales of Yorkshire, the small river valleys of Lowland Scotland, the sea always nearby, the Highlands and Islands. (I admit I get a lump in my throat reading that passage in Richard II about "this Scepter'd isle")
--Great old stone buildings; great range of historical architecture in general.
--LONDON: a vibrant, exciting, energetic, diverse city with people from everywhere but also a sense of its own long and glorious history. People in London overall get along with each other despite differences in cultures, races, and religions. Great restaurants and all kinds of music scenes, art scenes, architecture, etc.
--A cultural scene that seeks to open itself up and accept change and new creativity.
--I don’t mind the “reserved” character of the southern English. It fits with my personality I guess. I “like the people,” whatever that means, in general across the UK.
--football/soccer
--The variety of accents, dialects and cultures across the country.
--I love the weather. Really. I hate excessive heat and the sun, and I like variety. UK weather suits me perfectly, especially Scottish weather (many days with a little rain, so you get that nice smell afterward, but it seldom rains so much in most of the country that you can’t take cover and go back out…) London has the same amount of rain as, say, Berkeley California yearly, but in Berkeley it is cloudless and dry for months and then pours for two months nonstop, not much in between. I prefer the constant variety and I like overcast days; everything is more beautiful and I don’t get the exhaustion and headaches from the sun. Yes I am weird I guess (My wife calls me a vampire).

Minuses for me:
--Expensive (especially in London, but in general)
--Things not working (especially transport), and people apologizing repeatedly instead of just fixing them
--Litter everywhere
--The tabloid press and its influence. Obsession with gossip in general.
--Binge-drinking culture (there are more creative ways to spend Friday night than crammed standing into a bar trying to puke and wake up with a stranger…) Sometimes the whole country feels a bit like a frat party.
--Rising number of chavs: I feel there is a new generation of materialistic, drunken, apathetic, selfishly hedonistic, empty-valued, celebrity-worshipping, bullying people growing up somehow. What’s going on with this? Shopping for the right brand has become a kind of national sport for chavs, and wtf with happy-slapping?
--Rising xenophobia and racism disguised as a backlash against political correctness…
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

RichardPrice

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:30 am

Strangely enough, why do I (as a Briton) agree with every negative raised here? Oh god, I have threatened to move overseas several times and I think now would be a good time.

pilotsmoe

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 25):

No we have Litres.

Don't forget about inches and pounds, they're miles better(better than that other system invented by the frogs)
 stirthepot 

sw733

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:15 am

I love the UK. London is one of my favorite places I have ever had the pleasure of going to, and try to get back there as often as possible (even if it's just for a day...for instance, flying from the US-UK and arriving in the morning, going around London for the day, and coming back for a night flight to Africa). The rest of the UK is great too, but to me not quite as fun. I've enjoyed Oxford, Bath, Cambridge, Liverpool, Cardiff, and of course Belfast, but wasn't too big of a fan of places like Manchester, Blackpool and Birmingham. All in all, I love country, but I personally like London the most, by far.

GDB

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:44 am

One thing to remember, no one, but no one, bitches or takes the piss out the UK more than people in the UK themselves.
That is what much of the humour is based on.

I am wary of those seeking utopia, as it is an impossible dream.
Generally speaking, even with the recent events, we are quite well governed, the stuff about crime and chavs etc, though a real problem, is over reported.
Want to compare crime, the violent underclass, with for instance Victorian times?

Whatever few percentage points various crime levels have gone up or down in the past few decades-remember that reporting of crime by tabloid press and TV, has in the same increased massively.

The UK has over the last few centuries, benefitted from stability, something I think taken for granted now.
Like most European nations, we had a colonial past, but I'd rate our extraction from it as the most successful.

I can remember all the 1970's talk of the UK's post WW2 decline.
While the economic picture was bad for much of the post war period, talk of decline left out the term 'relative'.
Who is as we were called then, the 'sick man of Europe' now-actually there is more than one of those.
But these also include nations who are better than us in many respects too, France and Germany for infrastructure for one.
It's all relative.

100 years ago, 'Pax Britannia' looked serene and secure.
But even then, the US economy was stronger, we were even then lagging in output and productivity with Germany-just like today!

But then, at the height of UK power, life for most was bad here.
Those 'dark satanic mills' and all that.
Life for most is not bad here today, even relatively speaking.
So in the terms of the average person-what decline?

The responses on here from abroad, those from abroad living here, on this thread, have been fair and well observed.
Something to think on when any UK members read stuff like the Daily Mail.

QANTASforever

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:16 am

I completely agree with GDB.

I also tend to think that Britons tend to forget just what Britain has achieved over the years. There seems to be a lack of healthy appreciation for what Britain has done. I think there is a respectful and solemn awareness of past wrongs, but not a lot in the way of national celebration. I think that's a shame. Hopefully the Olympics will change things!!

QFF

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 28):
inches and pounds, they're miles

Britain now has kilos/grams/metric-tons and meters, kilometers, centimeters and is gradually retiring the old "imperials" .

jafa39

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 19):
Is this not the case for everyone?

I never log-in, it just remembers me..called charisma I believe  Smile

I have seen the best and worst of the UK, all the places I truly love in the UK are places with few or no people in them, I detest Londinium with a vengeance but that would be true of most cities in the world as I are a country boy at heart.

I would hate to go back and work in the youth services again, too much PC twaddle and far too many utterly crapulous managers who should be taken out and whipped until they learn how to manage people without being a total arse and bollocksing things up all the time.

My home county of Norfolk has much to recommend it though (just avoid the people!).
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 32):
Britain now has kilos/grams/metric-tons and meters, kilometers, centimeters and is gradually retiring the old "imperials" .

Yes and no. We're in a right old state with that. People say petrol is sold in litres, and so it is, but people usually work out petrol by cost, not by volume: thus, "I put £40 worth in", not "I put 47 litres in".

As for the others, ask any Brit of virtually any age, what their height is in centimetres, or their weight in kilograms. They won't have a clue. It'll be feet and inches, or stones and pounds.

I must also agree with GDB's post. One of the over-riding impressions from any cursory glance of Britain's social history is that people here have thought the country is going to the dogs. It's a matter of some fascination for anthropologists, this British (and especially English) belief that utter catastrophe is always around the corner. In truth, despite Britain's reduced status in the world compared to a hundred years ago, things have never been better. Try telling a Briton that.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
the country is going to the dogs

well, when I first visited the UK (London) in 1971 the dominating news story right then was the breakdown of the UCS Shipbuilders with 10'000s of people put onto the dole, and trouble starting in Northern Ireland. When in London in 72 for 3 months, I loved the place, but was a bit astonished to see the nation which in those days still was highly admired in a downhill and rather shabby state. What was absolutely amazing were things like the fact that you in the City of London still could see those gents with Bowler-hat and umbrella and everything, that Europe in all newspapers was among "Overseas", the in the EveningStandard the news about the crucial elections in West-Germany were in a small report on page 11 but those in Canberra on the same day on pages 1, 2 and 5 covering half-pages. The only positive thing was that Mr Heath had changed the currency in 69/70, so that the specials were 1-shilling-pieces worth 5 pence, 2-shilling-pieces worth 10 pence, no 50p pieces yet in evidence, but worst of all 6pence-pieces worth 2.5 pence. As I always was meagre in mathematics, I always had more 6pence-pieces with me than the most efficient beggar !
-
Since those days, Britain has made BIG steps forward towards Europe in many many aspects, the improvements I have seen both from news in papers and on TV as well as from many personal visits are definitely enormous. I of course realize that older Brits deplore the loss of the old times and their oldworldliness and the beloved Empire while younger Brits simply only know the present and take offence at .............. .
-

ba757

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:45 pm

I hate the UK, I really do.
The UK is expensive, dirty and amongst many other things, full of arseholes.

I really cannot wait until I permanently leave the UK.

And for London, its probably the worst place on the planet, its even more expensive and dirty than anywhere else in the UK. The only thing I like about London is when I am in a plane/train/car out of there!

They only plus about the UK is that the British are friendly, especially the Scottish.

Adam

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 36):
I hate the UK, I really do.

I can't abide people who sit on the fence. Say what you really think, don't vacillate.... Big grin

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
I of course realize that older Brits deplore the loss of the old times and their oldworldliness and the beloved Empire

I think this is rubbish. I really do. The only people who ever go on about "loss of empire" are foreigners. It's weird, because we hear it time and time again, and it just baffles us.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
think this is rubbish. I really do. The only people who ever go on about "loss of empire" are foreigners. It's weird, because we hear it time and time again, and it just baffles us.

It is NOT weird at all, neither is it rubbish, it simply is a kind of misunderstanding. Many Brits "carry" notions of the Empire without realising it. Many Brits (and French) are somewhat disappointed neither to be nor to be perceived as "leading", and not even the acknowledgment of "foreigners" to be liked comforts the two nations. Brits and French simply regard it as "normal" that people visit their countries on a regular basis. Both nations feel unlucky if "foreigners" tell them that the USA in some respects has become the "scale".
-
Well, the two nations on both sides of the Channel have so much in common --
and are NOT aware of it ...........  Big grin big grin  laughing   yes 

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 38):
It is NOT weird at all, neither is it rubbish, it simply is a kind of misunderstanding. Many Brits "carry" notions of the Empire without realising it. Many Brits (and French) are somewhat disappointed neither to be nor to be perceived as "leading", and not even the acknowledgment of "foreigners" to be liked comforts the two nations. Brits and French simply regard it as "normal" that people visit their countries on a regular basis. Both nations feel unlucky if "foreigners" tell them that the USA in some respects has become the "scale".

Your using the past to take a view that isn't there.

Are we a product of our own history? Of course we are. Are we aware that Britain used to be the most powerful nation on the planet? Of course we are. Are we reduced in status? Of course we are. Do we lament Empire? Do we hell.

What you seem to be saying is that simply because Britain used to be more powerful than it now is, we go into some kind of paroxysm of grief because we aren't any more. That's just not true. What would you have us do, ignore our history?

And although there are similarities between Britain and France, the main difference is that France has a history of frustrated ambitions, whereas Britain hasn't. That's why Britain and France have very different outlooks on the world.

Matt72033

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:50 pm

full of arseholes.

They only plus about the UK is that the British are friendly

contradicting yourself ever so slightly there!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):
What you seem to be saying is that simply because Britain used to be more powerful than it now is, we go into some kind of paroxysm of grief because we aren't any more. That's just not true. What would you have us do, ignore our history?

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):
the main difference is that France has a history of frustrated ambitions, whereas Britain hasn't. That's why Britain and France have very different outlooks on the world.

-
> no, I did NOT say that Brits in general are "in grief" about the lost past, but lots of Brits (just as others) simply deplore that the past is gone
> ignore history is wrong and would be wrong
> "frustrated ambitions" ? BOTH countries ruled the world. France often lost wars BUT French regulations like measurements, passport systems, people's registration-systems, etc are in force almost worldwide. So that the outcome is mixed
> very different outlooks on the world ? if looked at from outside the two countries, the outlooks are exceedingly close and similar

A319XFW

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 40):

You took the words right out of my mouth! Big grin

I think what I like about England (sticking to what I know) is the countryside. Drive a bit out of cities and you've got quaint little villages with stone houses etc. And it can change so much over a small area. Like Bill Bryson said in his "Notes from a small country" in England everything is so compressed scenery-wise.
The downside of England is the cities. I know space is a premium, but the streets upon streets of the same looking (mostly terrace) houses. Built by one builder. Here in Germany (admittedly there is more space) the houses are all different and I would prefer to live in a wall-built German flat than an English terrace house.
But luckily for me, I am mobile regards to work and country of living  Smile

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 41):
> "frustrated ambitions" ? BOTH countries ruled the world. France often lost wars BUT French regulations like measurements, passport systems, people's registration-systems, etc are in force almost worldwide. So that the outcome is mixed

No it isn't. France had a huge influence on the world, that is unquestionably the case (why would anyone deny it?), but France at no point had supremacy over the others, be they Spain, Holland or Britain. Britain's navy had utter domination of the seas (something we tend to forget), which was infinitely more important than France's army and France never realistically came close to challenging that. Even under Napoleon, the RN's mastery blockaded France to the point where they had no way out. Saying "both" countries is simply not the case. I don't say that out of any kind of pride or boasfulness, it's simply what happened, and one that virtually every historian acknowledges.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 41):
no, I did NOT say that Brits in general are "in grief" about the lost past, but lots of Brits (just as others) simply deplore that the past is gone

I genuinely don't think we do. I've said that it's only foreigners who ever make that point, and I stand by that. There's a certain teasing goes on, "Things were much better when we were in charge", but that's just our sense of humour - the comments are invariably laced with irony. I do wonder if you are mistaking the ironic comments for a kind of genuine lament for the past.

Our history is one to be largely proud of, and sometimes ashamed of, but it's just that, history.

ba757

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 40):

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 42):
You took the words right out of my mouth!

No I'm not at all.

There are a lot of arseholes in the UK, as I am sure many people will agree, but not every British person is an arsehole, and for the most part, the average person is friendly.

Adam

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 44):
There are a lot of arseholes in the UK, as I am sure many people will agree, but not every British person is an arsehole, and for the most part, the average person is friendly.

Is that not true of every nation on the planet?

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 43):
France at no point had supremacy over the others, be they Spain, Holland or Britain

well, in the Napoleonic times, France dominated and to some extent ruled areas which today are Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Egypt, and after 1830 Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, vast parts of sub-Saharan Africa, plus Indochina (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. And their language for ages was THE language of diplomacy. They quite heavily tried to keep up their domination, in case of Algeria between 1950 and 1962, in case of Vietnam between WWII and DienBienPhu, in case of Morocco and Tunisia between 1947 and 1956 .

Banco

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 46):
well, in the Napoleonic times, France dominated and to some extent ruled areas which today are Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Egypt, and after 1830 Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, vast parts of sub-Saharan Africa, plus Indochina (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Quite true. But at all times they were hemmed in by the Royal Navy. If you take the Napoleonic Wars as the example, for most of it the French fleet was confined to harbour in Toulon or Brest. When they set to sea, they were beaten by the Royal Navy. And the navy was the most important element of a nation projecting power. France tried to challenge it, and failed. If you want to see the importance of that, all you need do is view France's power on land. France had an infinitely more powerful army than Britain's rather puny force (Britain NEVER had a strong army), and it mattered not a jot. After France's failure to defeat the British at sea, no-one challenged British naval supremacy for another century.

And their language for ages was THE language of diplomacy

Yep. No argument. As I say, denying France's power and influence is silly. But they were always secondary to others, most notably Britain.

They quite heavily tried to keep up their domination, in case of Algeria between 1950 and 1962, in case of Vietnam between WWII and DienBienPhu, in case of Morocco and Tunisia between 1947 and 1956 .

They did indeed. Which was probably a mistake. But even so, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. France being secondary to Britain doesn't mean they were entirely emasculated, merely that Britain was the dominant power of the two.

JAGflyer

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:05 pm

Queue up, spit-spot, meat and two veg, dave clark five, pip-pip, cherio!

-Stewie Griffin.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

airxliban

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:36 pm

I am a huge anglophile, so I absolutely adore the UK and that is why I am here right now.

For one thing, they speak English properly and having had all my primary school education and most of my secondary school education under the British System, that really appeals to me.

In contrast to the US, the UK has a distinctive character and a strong sense of tradition.

I've got photos of the Queen and the Prince in my room.

The crisps are better than anywhere else on the planet that I have been to.

You can't beat the UK for music. Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Mike Oldfield, the list goes on and on. 90% of my favourite bands are from the UK.

The British education system - take a random sample of American high school students and compare them to their British counterparts. And Oxford and Cambridge are fantastic too.

Interesting and (for the most part) friendly people - particularly the empire building breed of Englishmen who I imagine are slowly dying out.

I could go on and on, there is so much that I love about this island that I call home (until August anyway). The UK will always have a special place in my heart.

And I've already put money on them winning the World Cup this year.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.