9VSPO
Topic Author

American Idol Part II

Tue May 02, 2006 2:32 am

My prediction for the final two are Chris & Katharine.

Although I was really sorry to see Kellie go but I think the American public got it right there.  Sad
Also feel free to use this thread if you have any comments on Paula. Big grin

A340Spotter

RE: American Idol Part II

Wed May 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Was about to start another thread myself, but see you've done so already, good on ya...

Tonight, the singers got to sing 2 songs, current songs or ones of the Billboard Top 100 of any variety. Saw some interesting choices, but maybe not the best of singing...

To me, Taylor picked the right songs, singing Play that Funky Music White Boy and Something by the Beatles. Sang them well and got deserved praise. Chris and Katharine both did well on at least one of their songs, Chris singing Styx's Wanted Man well but faded on a Shinedown song due to his voice getting tired (too much shrieking). Katharine sang Phil Collins' Against All Odds okay but did very well with KT Tunstall's Black Horse and a Cherry Tree...woo hoo.
Paris sang Prince's Kiss and then took a good turn with a Mary J Blige song while Eliot sang On Broadway and a Michael Buble song about going home, risky and likely foreshadowing tomorrow night's results show.

Think the bottom 2 are Paris and Eliot with Eliot's ride finally coming to an end.

I'm off to LA tomorrow before the trip to Australia so this is likely my last post about the show. Will have to catch the web logs I suppose.

Cheers
JSD

oh, and as for Paula, she was much more calm tonight compared to the last couple of weeks.
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2006 1:41 am

It was an odd show this week. Elliot was no Michael Buble! Hopefully he will go next week. Katherine's second song was better. I agreed with everything Simon said really and Paula actually looked sober too! Big grin

vaporlock

Sun May 07, 2006 1:51 pm

I hope Elliot doesn't go as he really does have an amazing voice and can sing pretty much any style.... which is amazing for someone who is deaf in one ear. He sings in tune and can hold a note without having to strain his voice.

Phyllis  bouncy 

dalb777

Mon May 08, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
My prediction for the final two are Chris & Katharine.

bigthumbsup  I would also like them to be the final two.
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

jaysit

Tue May 09, 2006 4:12 am

I just hope that Paula stays drunk.

D-R-U-N-K.

DRRRRZZZZUNK.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 2:21 am

Elvis songs tonight! Big grin

Do you think Taylor Hicks will sing "All Shook Up?"  Wink

IFEMaster

Wed May 10, 2006 3:11 am

Paula Abdul has absolutely no credential to be on the show. She does, however, have a nice rack, and so it's OK with me.

My prediction for the top two are Kat and Taylor. I want Taylor to win simply because he isn't the stereotypical pop star - he loves music more than anything else that goes with it.

Soul Patrol!!
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AeroWesty

Wed May 10, 2006 12:13 pm

At the beginning of tonight's show, Ryan said AI is viewed in 34 countries. WTF? Where is this carried, and does anywhere besides the U.S. east coast get it live? (I'm assuming Canada does.)
International Homo of Mystery

jaysit

Thu May 11, 2006 12:15 am

They all sucked rotten eggs.

But that walkie-talkie Priscilla Presley wax doll was awesome!

How do they get her to do that?

(Although I could tell that her lips weren't moving when she spoke. Guess she had speakers in her head...)

sean377

Thu May 11, 2006 12:51 am

Is American Idol supposed to be similar to the X-Factor (just an assumption coz Simon Cowell is in both)? I don't know if we get a highly edited version here in the UK, but there is no comparison. AI is pants. One of the best parts of The X-Factor was the judges banter. The panel on AI are absolutely lifeless. Apart from Simon, the other 2 NEVER critisize ANY of the contestants. It's always "Yo Man, that rocked. You did it for me" waving fingers in the air like some Vulcan salute gone wrong!
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

chrisjake

Thu May 11, 2006 2:23 am

it will be Taylor and Chris in the final.

Katherine gets voted off tonight.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 11):
Katherine gets voted off tonight

Please don't tell us the result in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't see it till Friday.

chrisjake

Thu May 11, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 12):
Please don't tell us the result in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't see it till Friday.

haha.... its ok....its just my prediction.

i have no idea whats going to happen

AeroWesty

Thu May 11, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 12):
We don't see it till Friday.

Which night do you see the competitions?

9VSPO
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
Which night do you see the competitions?

The show then the results show are shown straight after each other back to back on friday evening. I could get the result online but some weeks I like a surprise LOL.  Smile

AirframeAS

Thu May 11, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 11):
it will be Taylor and Chris in the final.

After the next person who gets voted off tonight, there will be 3 left, remember?!

I predict Katharine will be voted off, although shes really cute!!

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 7):
Paula Abdul has absolutely no credential to be on the show.

I agree. She goes through too much and is absolutely SICK of Simon. She gives every participant very good marks, I rarely see any negativity from her. She used to be very good at judging in the first two seasons, but now she seems so worn out.... She recently signed on for two more seasons, I think.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AeroWesty

Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 pm

H.O.L.Y. C.O.W!

(But I'm not gonna ruin it for 9VSPO  Wink )

CastleIsland

Thu May 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 17):
H.O.L.Y. C.O.W!

Indeed a surprise. Let's leave it to silence for our limey bastard friends (we did win the war, you know), but I would not have seen this coming...
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

tranceport

Thu May 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Actually, as much of a fan as I am, in retrospect this doesn't surprise me. You have to consider the driving force behind the fan base of an American pop idol. When you look back through the season and evaluate each person's performance on that fan base and not on the individual's music style, it's a fairly logical choice.

j_hallgren

Thu May 11, 2006 3:34 pm

Once again, the results from this site came in as reasonably accurate...I don't use the program but find it interesting...
http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

I was surprised by how quick the result was given...not the usual suspense build-up....
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

zarniwoop

Thu May 11, 2006 3:54 pm

Actually, not that suprising.... i thought *he/she* was weak last night. Felt like *he/she* just came on and sung the songs without any passion or feeling. The others seemed to put a lot more effort and "soul" into it, if you see what I mean. Having a good voice isnt just what its about i guess, connecting with the viewers on an emotional level is gonna get you far more votes.....

jaysit

Thu May 11, 2006 9:40 pm

Give me a break.

The best singer was booted off the show.

And who on earth is going to buy a Taylor Hicks album pray tell?

The look of horror on Simon Cowell's face was just too much when he heard the news.

yooyoo

Thu May 11, 2006 10:36 pm

I admit i watch the show. Is the show getting cheesier? My god it's getting almost embarrassing to watch with their goofy commercials and "group" songs.

These talented singers are pawns padding the pockets of a select few and, to me at least, making a mockery of themselves.

I guess people will do whatever is necessary to become famous.

As for the outcome. I'm not surprised. They should have done a "Trump" and booted the bottom 2 off.

twocents 
 Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

IFEMaster

Fri May 12, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Tranceport (Reply 19):
Actually, as much of a fan as I am, in retrospect this doesn't surprise me. You have to consider the driving force behind the fan base of an American pop idol. When you look back through the season and evaluate each person's performance on that fan base and not on the individual's music style, it's a fairly logical choice.

Well said my friend. Given the different vocal styles of the remaining contestants, I would say that it's not surprising at all that he/she got kicked off on Wednesday. Despite some killer performances during the Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart weeks, and the Love Song week, he/she isn't what America vote for in a pop star. Frankly, I think two out of the final three are incredibly lucky to be there as there is really only one 'pop' singer left.

America made the right decision this week. My prediction is that the top two from this week will be the final two.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 22):

Me. Out of all the contestants, Taylor is the only one who has raised the proverbial middle finger to what everyone else thinks, and done his own thing. He loves the music above everything else, always has a good time, and doesn't take it to heart when Cowell unfairly critisizes him. Taylor is awesome. SOUL PATROL!

jaysit

Fri May 12, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 24):
Quoting Jaysit (Reply 22):

Me. Out of all the contestants,

OK.

One album for Taylor.

Sold.

Now that still leaves those other 999,999 lying unsold in the bargain bins at Costco.

IFEMaster

Fri May 12, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 25):
OK.

One album for Taylor.

Sold.

Now that still leaves those other 999,999 lying unsold in the bargain bins at Costco.

Clearly you don't like him, but there are enough Americans who do to CONSISTENTLY vote to keep him on. He's never been in the bottom three as far as I can recall, and as regualrly been one of the first to be declared 'safe'.

Clearly I'm not alone. The guy is an excellent singer, an excellent performer, and I'd pay to listen to him, along with several other million who vote for him week in and week out.

jaysit

Fri May 12, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 26):
Clearly I'm not alone. The guy is an excellent singer, an excellent performer, and I'd pay to listen to him, along with several other million who vote for him week in and week out.

Uh, yeah.

I guess that explains that Justin Guarini vote too, doesn't it?

9VSPO
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 25):
One album for Taylor.
Sold.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

My view is Taylor and Elliott both seem like nice guys but at the end of the day this show is called 'Idol'. It's about what 13 year old teenage girls put on their bedroom walls! and no matter how well they can sing they aint idols are they?  Wink

9VSPO
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 5:22 am

I just watched the outcome on Fox and I am shocked!!  Sad

AeroWesty

Fri May 12, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 29):
I just watched the outcome on Fox

No! We were all prepared to taunt you endlessly until Friday night. Now what shall we do for entertainment?  Big grin

AirframeAS

Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 am

Alot of people were shocked....I, for one, am happy that........  Smile

A332

Fri May 12, 2006 9:29 am

This year's American Idol series has officially jumped the shark.

I'm done with it.. the best is gone.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat May 13, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 32):
This year's American Idol series has officially jumped the shark.

I agree, I would have put money on Chris winning. Maybe people thought it was a dead cert so they didn't bother voting. If Taylor wins that will be a tragedy. He just looks like he's constipated on stage and really needs the toilet the way he just keeps bending forward all the time.
 Angry

jaysit

Sat May 13, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 33):
If Taylor wins that will be a tragedy. He just looks like he's constipated on stage and really needs the toilet the way he just keeps bending forward all the time.

You got that right.

But it seems that Paula and the good people of Alabama like the sound of him farting on stage.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat May 13, 2006 5:19 am

It's on here right now! I thought Chris's version of Suspicious Minds was good and Katherine looks great.  Smile

AeroWesty

Sat May 13, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 35):
It's on here right now!

Watch Chris' face while he does A Little Less Conversation. He's got this stupid, blank why-am-I-here look about him. If only I'd predicted the outcome based on that, I'd have been off to Nevada to place some bets!

fbgdavidson

Sat May 13, 2006 5:24 am

Just went to see Elliott live in downtown Richmond as the Idols are back home this week for a few days. Have to say live he sounds much better than he does on TV. Of course can't compare to the others as I haven't heard them live either but if this is what he sings like every week on the box the TV doesn't do him any favours!

He sang 'Home' to a crowd of about 5,000 people. The place went pretty crazy when he came on stage.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

CastleIsland

Wed May 17, 2006 10:20 am

Damn, did Kat ever NAIL "Over the Rainbow." That's a bugger of a song to sing, too. Best moment this season by far for me.

All in all, however, Elliot and and Taylor were more consistent (although Taylor screwed the pooch with Dancin' in the Dark).
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

jaysit

Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 am

Paula was still drunk, Randy was still high on sugar, and Simon's man boobs moved to the right.

All in all, same ol', same ol' on Idol, except that last week Simon's man boobs moved to the left.

fbgdavidson

Wed May 17, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 38):
Damn, did Kat ever NAIL "Over the Rainbow." That's a bugger of a song to sing, too.

Not a singer myself but I found the arrangement of all of Katharine's songs and in particular 'Over the Rainbow' to be god awful!   She sang them well though. 

I genuinely think Elliott and Katharine should be in the final, Taylor just seems a bit wacky. He'd make a great entertainer though!

[Edited 2006-05-17 05:01:53]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

AeroWesty

Wed May 17, 2006 12:42 pm

Looks like I'll be dialing 866-IDOLS03 tonight.

jaysit

Wed May 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Is Randy Jackson a total idiot or what?

Its about time that someone (the mcphee girl) called him on his stupidity when she said that she didn't choose the songs. What has this big buffoon done to merit being a judge? (that was a rhetorical question --- any idiot could be a judge on this show --- the show is sooooo bad, its good)

AeroWesty

Wed May 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 42):
Is Randy Jackson a total idiot or what?

It's such a sorry show--I'm not sure what Randy does other than the dog salute.

If they'd just assign someone to installing more phone lines, that'd be something! I went from busy to fast busy to getting 5 votes in to "we're sorry your call can't be completed as dialed" in 30 minutes.

jaysit

Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 pm

You know that Simon's thinking "Shut up Paula, you dumb sl*t."

CastleIsland

Wed May 17, 2006 2:51 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 40):
Not a singer myself but I found the arrangement of all of Katharine's songs and in particular 'Over the Rainbow' to be god awful!

Well, I found the rarely-sung lead-in done a capella to be a gutsy move, and she was spot-on in terms of pitch. Then the classical guitar-only verse, with the bass coming in later...followed by full orchestra. I thought the arrangement was fantastic. Guess that's why different people can have different opinions.  thumbsup 

AirframeAS

Thu May 18, 2006 1:21 am

I believe Randy Jackson helped produce most of Mariah Carey's albums.

I'm gettin' sick of Randy's 'Yo yo yo' or 'sup, dawg...' Getting a bit old now!

AeroWesty

Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 am

GAH! I've just realized that the results show will be broadcast during the second hour of the season finale of The Amazing Race tonight. Time to fire up the VCR again!

777DadandJr

Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 38):
Damn, did Kat ever NAIL "Over the Rainbow." That's a bugger of a song to sing, too. Best moment this season by far for me.

I actually got goosebumps, and was almost moved to tears when they showed her father. You could just see the pride beaming from his face. Her rendition of Over the Rainbow so perfectly suited to her style. It reminded me of how I was blown away when Fantasia did Summertime from Porgy and Bess.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 45):
Well, I found the rarely-sung lead-in done a capella to be a gutsy move, and she was spot-on in terms of pitch. Then the classical guitar-only verse, with the bass coming in later...followed by full orchestra. I thought the arrangement was fantastic. Guess that's why different people can have different opinions.

checkmark 

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 40):
I genuinely think Elliott and Katharine should be in the final, Taylor just seems a bit wacky. He'd make a great entertainer though!

I would agree. The first time I saw Taylor, I could have sworn he had Tourrets!

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

IFEMaster

Thu May 18, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 42):
What has this big buffoon done to merit being a judge?

I suggest you research some history on the guy. He has been in the music industry for a VERY long time and is a well respected musician, song writer, and producer. If anyone one the panel is lacking in credentials, is that drunken whore Paula Abdul.