deltagator

Gay Penguins? You've Got Some 'splaining To Do Oz!

Tue May 02, 2006 7:12 am

Ok you Aussies...WTF!?

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...e/0,5936,18823845%255E1248,00.html

Since when do Fairy Penguins offend gay folks? I guess we'll be changing the name of the tooth fairy and Staten Island Ferry soon enough.

Please tell me this is a joke and that some hypersensitive kneejerk hippie didn't get their skivvies in a bunch to cause this story?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AeroWesty

RE: Gay Penguins? You've Got Some 'splaining To Do Oz!

Tue May 02, 2006 7:18 am

Maybe the real gay penguins got their tuxedos in a tizzy and complained.
International Homo of Mystery

luv2fly

Tue May 02, 2006 7:24 am

Maybe they are playing the race card!
You can cut the irony with a knife

ilikeyyc

Tue May 02, 2006 7:24 am

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-06-10/591.asp

Quote:
Wendell and Cass, two penguins at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island, Brooklyn, live in a soap opera world of seduction and intrigue. Among the 22 male and 10 female African black-footed penguins in the aquarium's exhibit, tales of love, lust and betrayal are the norm. These birds mate for life. But given the disproportionate male-female ratio at the aquarium, some of the females flirt profusely and dump their partners for single males with better nests.

Wendell and Cass, however, take no part in these cunning schemes. They have been completely devoted to each other for the last eight years. In fact, neither one of them has ever been with anyone else, says their keeper, Stephanie Mitchell.

But the partnership of Wendell and Cass adds drama in another way. They're both male. That is to say, they're gay penguins.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

n229nw

RE: Gay Penguins? You've Got Some 'splaining To Do

Tue May 02, 2006 7:29 am

OK...This is ridiculous. I think they missed April fools day by a month...PC does run amok sometimes (as I admitted in my thread on the subject; though with the history of tabloids fabricating stories like this, I would want to see it confirmed before I believe it 100%).

By the way, note that the gay rights groups did not instigate the change, and in fact are totally annoyed at at. It was just some weird zookeeper...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

deltagator

Tue May 02, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 4):
It was just some weird zookeeper...

True, those Aussies are nothing but trouble!  biggrin 
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

KiwiTEAL

Tue May 02, 2006 7:39 am

You think Fairy Penguins is the limit ? Now the kindergarten kids have to sing Baa Baa "Rainbow" Sheep here in Oz now, as the word "black" might prove offensive!!!!! How bloody ridiculous.

When it gets to the stage of forcing the issue on traditional nursery rhymes we have all grown up with (and not suffered from), its political correctness gone raving insane!

KiwiTEAL (and I still have my 40 yr old GOLLYWOG!!!!)

AeroWesty

Tue May 02, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 6):
When it gets to the stage of forcing the issue on traditional nursery rhymes we have all grown up with (and not suffered from), its political correctness gone raving insane!

Do they still read Little Black Sambo?
International Homo of Mystery

KiwiTEAL

Tue May 02, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
Do they still read Little Black Sambo?

Haa haa - i very much doubt it, tho it might now be "Little Rainbow Sambo"  Smile

Its ironic that here in Aussie there was a major dispute over the naming of footy stadium stand as "The "Nigger" Brown Stand (the guys nickname) and yet a famous brand of Australian cheese is COON CHEESE and nobody turns a hair.

KiwiTEAL

deltagator

Tue May 02, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 8):
and yet a famous brand of Australian cheese is COON CHEESE and nobody turns a hair.

No offense to black folks but that is a seriously funny name for a cheese! I'm sure it has some historical back story to it though.

I'm waiting for Cheese Nips to get attacked here in the States as non-PC.

Back to the penguins though. I do like how the gay folks down under are also saying WTF? We aren't offended.

Stealthz

Tue May 02, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 6):
Now the kindergarten kids have to sing Baa Baa "Rainbow" Sheep here in Oz now, as the word "black" might prove offensive!!!!! How bloody ridiculous.

No they bloody don't!! That was a media beatup about a school in the UK(the world capital of PC craziness) and the idea was rapidly reversed after a major reaction by the parents.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

malb777

Tue May 02, 2006 11:19 am

Whats the bet we have " fairy penguins" marching in next years Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gra in Sydney. This is political correctness going way to far.
thank god i was not born a bird. this type of flying is much better

luv2fly

Tue May 02, 2006 11:29 am

luv2fly

Tue May 02, 2006 11:34 am

Let's try this.