MiCorazonAzul
Topic Author

Hatred And Racism On Anet

Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 pm

I am sickened by the amount of racism and hatred being expressed in the non-aviation forum yet it is going unnoticed by the mods. While I agree with people being able to express their opinion, there is a FINE LINE that many have crossed. The immigration situation has become a punching bag for these "ultra-American" members that have taken every chance to express their hate towards my people. I am saddened that such garbage is being allowed on anet as I THOUGHT the rules were greatly enforced. But of course if I post something about jetblue and bliss spa, I get my post deleted and labeled as "advertisment". Yet these fools can make every racist remark they can and get away with it.

Why is it being tolerated?
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

flyfisher1976

RE: Hatred And Racism On Anet

Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm sure moderators don't have time to reveiw everything that is said in every thread. That is what the "suggest deletion" button is for.

WhyWhyZed

Mon May 01, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Thread starter):

I know one of the reasons why you made this thread was because of luv2fly's comment made in the YYZ Meet thread. Why take it personally, however? Laugh it off, especially since thats not even the scenario anymore.

- Jason DePodesta

MiCorazonAzul
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 1):
I'm sure moderators don't have time to reveiw everything that is said in every thread. That is what the "suggest deletion" button is for.

THat would mean going post by post in EVERY single immigration related thread....with no response from mods.

Quoting WhyWhyZed (Reply 2):

I know one of the reasons why you made this thread was because of luv2fly's comment made in the YYZ Meet thread. Why take it personally, however? Laugh it off, especially since thats not even the scenario anymore.

Actually, it has nothing to do with that. This thread is directly about the threads regarding immigration and Mexico.

miamiair

Tue May 02, 2006 12:39 am

Maybe their viewpoint and yours aren't the same and you don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If it violates the rules, then the appropriate action should be taken. Why don't you provide a link to the posts?

[Edited 2006-05-01 17:39:39]
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

WhyWhyZed

Tue May 02, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 3):
THat would mean going post by post in EVERY single immigration related thread....with no response from mods.

why don't you suggest deletion to one of the replies, and leave a comment stating your views and what you would to see be done to the thread. It'd make both yours and the mods job a bit easier.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 4):
Maybe their viewpoint and yours aren't the same and you don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

checkmark 

- Jason DePodesta

Newark777

Tue May 02, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 4):
Why don't you provide a link to the posts?

I'll assume you are just exaggerating until I see what you are talking about.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ctbarnes

Tue May 02, 2006 2:04 am

Honestly, the immegration threads I have read (and participated in) do not seem racist to me. There is a lot of emotion and a lot of passion on all sides of the debate, but I don't think I'd go as far as to say there is the kind of systematic and pervasive hatred racism implies.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Newark777

Tue May 02, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 7):

I think a lot of people get easily offended when people talk about their country, and then have a knee-jerk reaction and call it racism. Racism is one of the most over-used buzz words.

Harry

MKEdude

Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 am

Obviously racism should not be tolerated in the forums. If you see an example, report it, right away. However a blanket accusation of racism helps nobody. It only serves to tarnish the reps of those who may have disagreed with you in the past. Thus leaving the community at large to speculate as to who is the guilty party, without the benifit of evidence.

As has been mentioned before the mods can't be everywhere at once, so we all have to do a better job of keeping this a safe place to exchange ideas. But a generic charge of "Hatred And Racism On Anet" without any specifics is just irresponsible.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

flyfisher1976

Tue May 02, 2006 4:40 am

THat would mean going post by post in EVERY single immigration related thread....

Yes, that's what it would mean. Hopefully you don't plan on wasting much time trolling individual threads for offensive material. I'm sure you've got better things to do.

srbmod

Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 am

As the old saying goes, "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one and they stink."

As for MiCoriazonAzul's claims of racism in these threads, show some examples. Looking through some of the more recent threads in the issue, I see no sort of racist remarks in these threads. So unless you can show some examples, like someone referring to Mexicans using a racial slur, your racism claim rings hollow.

gkirk

Tue May 02, 2006 5:07 am

Use the suggest deletion button. I doubt the mods have the time to look through every single post on a.net
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

airtran737

Tue May 02, 2006 6:50 am

The immigration situation has become a punching bag for these "ultra-American" members that have taken every chance to express their hate towards my people.

I don't think that the threads have been racist. As far as "your people" go, they're welcome here, just come the legal way. I think that the basic sentiment is that people aren't against the immigrants, they are against them illegally entering the country.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ANCFlyer

Tue May 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Racism . . . .

An overly abused, quickly written word . . . . used when the poster of said word doesn't have any other argument to make and becomes frustrated and just wants to be heard.

Illegal Immigration threads aren't racist, they're about illegal immigration. I've participated in all those threads. Not one have I seen written a description of an illegal immigrant as anything but an Illegal Immigrant. That's not racist, that's fact. Period. It doesn't matter what "race" and illegal immigrant is - as we are all, like it or not, members of the human race. That fact is, they are illegal immigrants. Race is irrelevent. Their status as illegal immigrants is.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

gkirk

Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
Racism . . . .

An overly abused, quickly written word . . . . used when the poster of said word doesn't have any other argument to make and becomes frustrated and just wants to be heard.

Perhaps.
Although I haven't seen any racist comments, I have seen quite a few times now, that quite a few Americans seem to have something against Mexicans working in their country.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
that quite a few Americans seem to have something against Mexicans working in their country.

ILLEGAL immigrants Kirk, be they Mexican, Italian, or Scottish. I have yet to read anything, from anyone, American or otherwise, that has a problem with LEGAL immigrants working in this country . . .

That's not racist. That's illegal immigration.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

gkirk

Tue May 02, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
ILLEGAL immigrants Kirk, be they Mexican, Italian, or Scottish. I have yet to read anything, from anyone, American or otherwise, that has a problem with LEGAL immigrants working in this country . . .

Yes, but there also appears to be some members who think badly about LEGAL immigrants. I'll see if I can find a recent example...

Newark777

Wed May 03, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 17):

I'll see if I can find a recent example...

Should have done that first before posting.

Harry

gkirk

Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 18):

Should also have said that there is quite a lot of anti USA posts going about as well

United737522

Wed May 03, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 18):

I'll see if I can find a recent example...

Harry

checkmark 
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

MiCorazonAzul
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 am

so the fact that they are "illegal" means you and the others can go all out and insult them? They ARE humans and therefore have rights just like you and me. Just because they weren't born in your almighty USA doesn't make them any different....at the end of the day, they are HUMAN and deserve respect.

Newark777

Wed May 03, 2006 9:13 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 21):

so the fact that they are "illegal" means you and the others can go all out and insult them?

I can go insult people all I want, doesn't make me racist. I would be at worst an asshole.

at the end of the day, they are HUMAN and deserve respect.

I don't respect anyone that doesn't respect my nation's laws.

Harry

UH60FtRucker

Wed May 03, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 22):
I can go insult people all I want, doesn't make me racist. I would be at worst an asshole.

checkmark 

Right. MiCorazonAzul, I think you are mistaking the meaning of the word "racism." Harry is right... insulting someone is not being racist.

Just because they weren't born in your almighty USA

WHAT!? Are you being racist against America!? You're insulting Americans and thus... by your logic... being RACIST! HOW DARE YOU!! APOLOGIZE IMMEDIATELY!

But seriously... you keep speaking about all of this racism... well show us a few examples. Until then... this thread is  redflag 

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

VC-10

Wed May 03, 2006 9:29 am

I'm moving this to the non-av forum as it is a discussion of a more general nature rather than site related.

If anyone sees a racist post just suggest deletion and it will be reviewed. We cannot possibly read every post made in the course of each day.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 03, 2006 9:41 am

ILLEGAL immigrants Kirk, be they Mexican, Italian, or Scottish

Well, maybe not the Scots  duck  Big grin

They ARE humans

checkmark 

therefore have rights just like you and me.

Where they are from, or if they are here legally.

Just because they weren't born in your almighty USA doesn't make them any different....at the end of the day, they are HUMAN and deserve respect.

checkmark 
But, breaking the laws make them different. That makes them criminals.

I am an immigrant myself, and came here legally (although I will be illegal June 4th unless I go and renew my green card...lol). Lindy explained in detail how the USCIS is giving him a hard time trying to bring his wife here. If him and I could come here legally, why can't everybody else?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

deltagator

Wed May 03, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
Racism is one of the most over-used buzz words.

Yes it is. Rascism is the belief and practice of one race being genetically superior to another race.

If I were to say that Hispanics were in our country illegally, stealing taxpayer resources, and ignoring the sovereign rules of our country and should be deported back if caught that is not rascist...it would be a fact.

If I was to say that Caucasians were gentically superior (remember Apartheid with blacks and the Nazis/Arayans with Jews? They talked a lot about how they were better than others.) to Hispanics because we lacked a taco making or tequila drinking gene and thus could make it through the day without an afternoon siesta that could be taken as rascist. *DISCLAIMER-I'm not saying I think this way but just giving an example.

Yes, but there also appears to be some members who think badly about LEGAL immigrants.

Most likely from retards. If you're here legally and abiding by the rules of our nation we should have no problem with you.

at the end of the day, they are HUMAN and deserve respect.

They don't respect our laws but we are supposed to respect them. Sorry, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. If you are here illegally then you are breaking the law and deserve to be treated as a common criminal. Illegal aliens are an insult to all the folks who have come to this country legally through the correct channels.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

texan

Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
I have seen quite a few times now, that quite a few Americans seem to have something against Mexicans working in their country.

Kirkie, that is completely false! Mexicans are great workers and people! It's those damn lazy Canadians that really piss me off  Wink

And by the way, that is meant to be sarcastic and lighten the mood. I don't want to see threats of an invasion from our northern neighbors because of this. Although, Alberta does have oil...  Silly

MiCorazon, I understand what you are saying. But the thing is you are becoming as nationalistic and protective as many of the "reactionary Americans" you are claiming are making racist comments. It is a touchy debate and there is name calling on both sides. But it is not necessarily hate nor racism. It is nationalistic, but there are large portions of all nations who are very nationalistic. Take some deep breaths and calm down.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ctbarnes

Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 27):
And by the way, that is meant to be sarcastic and lighten the mood. I don't want to see threats of an invasion from our northern neighbors because of this. Although, Alberta does have oil...

Not to mention keeping the world safe from Celine Dion and Tim Hortons! 

Hmm... If we're talking Canadian cultural hegemony, we might as well throw in Red Green too.  

Charles, SJ

EDIT: Just allow me to keep watching The National. Peter Mansbridge beats Tim Russert any day!

[Edited 2006-05-03 03:08:14]
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

ba747yyz

Wed May 03, 2006 10:10 am

The immigration situation has become a punching bag for these "ultra-American" members that have taken every chance to express their hate towards my people.

I don't think people hate Mexicans, I think they hate the fact that Mexicans are invading the US and violating its soverignty

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 13):
n't think that the threads have been racist. As far as "your people" go, they're welcome here, just come the legal way

Quite Right!

They ARE humans and therefore have rights just like you and me.

You are confusing natural rights with national rights, yes they have the right to live etc... But they do not have the same rights as US citizens such as the right to live in the US, they do have the right to live in Mexico, and I think you are confusing this with other more complex less basic rights.
Has anyone ever tried using NAFTA as a defence, in a way people are trade.
The Mexicans if they were so proud of their country would not be leaving it by the millions.
In a sense the problem with immigration is that it is often one sided and in a sense it is not fair for the Americans to build a great country and have the Mexicans who for a hundred million plus nation have accomplished relatively little to invade the US, the US has the right to say who can a whom can not come. And don't the Americans have the right not to be invaded by the Mexican people.
On the other side of the spectrum the Americans apathy until recently has caused this problem to grow this large, and if the American people worked some of the crumby jobs that the Mexicans are doing than there would not be as large of a market for the Mexicans.

Derico

Wed May 03, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
If I was to say that Caucasians were gentically superior (remember Apartheid with blacks and the Nazis/Arayans with Jews? They talked a lot about how they were better than others.) to Hispanics because we lacked a taco making or tequila drinking gene and thus could make it through the day without an afternoon siesta that could be taken as rascist.

It would also hold no ground because the hispanic race in fact does not exist...  Wink

This year I was involved in my most heated discussion ever here in non.av. The fact I have been here over 5 years now without a single ban should attest that throughout that time in 99% of the things I have said, I have been respecful, controversial maybe, but still respectful (as well as lived my life in between, wink). Only once do I think I crossed a boundary and labeled someone something that he was not (in the heat of the moment), and I apologized after people maid me see my error.

The one thing I would say exists here to some extent (how much I can't say), and have mentioned it before, is a 'my sh!t smells better than your sh!t' attitude when someone makes a comment about a country some in that nationality don't like. An elitist mist, which considering how things in the world are today, is no longer warranted as every nation and culture has been exposed to have significant flaws and imperfections.

I would also add that many posters (and I have been guilty of this on some occasions) make comments about events or laws in other countries they either know nothing about, were sorely missinformed on, or have facts that are years out of date, and pass it on as fact.

However, I don't think there is pervassive racism here.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

redngold

Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 am

Being concerned about people who cross the border illegally or remain in the country illegally - and then expect the same rights and privileges as those who have proper documentation - is not racism.

There is a difference between human rights and privilege.

redngold
Up, up and away!

deltagator

Wed May 03, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 30):
it would also hold no ground because the hispanic race in fact does not exist...

The US Government and many job applications here in the States would disagree with you. If Hispanics aren't a separate race what race do you consider them to be?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

jafa39

Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 am

....with no response from mods

That's a bit of an assumption, I've had posts deleted because people objected to the content..so I know it works.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
Racism is one of the most over-used buzz words

You're spot-on there!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
Use the suggest deletion button. I doubt the mods have the time to look through every single post on a.net

Shouldn't you be at work?  Smile

Just because they weren't born in your almighty USA

POT...KETTLE...BLACK!! You are no better than those you are complaining about, if you have a chip on your shoulder because of the US and you reveal it then you kinda invalidate your arguement.

If illegals were pouring into Mexico, would you welcome them with open arms????
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Derico

Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):
The US Government and many job applications here in the States would disagree with you. If Hispanics aren't a separate race what race do you consider them to be?

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

I'll gladly send you a private message explaining why this is not so, EVEN if the all-mighty US government claims it is...  Wink
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

L-188

Wed May 03, 2006 10:31 am

About a week ago I was accused of being a racist by one of our south of the border members (Not Canada). It was in the thread about Mexico legalizing some drugs, and I made a comment that the US was getting the better end of the deal. Their workers head north and our junkies head south.

I still haven't figured out what he thought was racist about my coments If anything, I would have though that saying Americans headed to Mexico where junkies would have said more ill toward US members not Mexican ones.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N766UA

Wed May 03, 2006 10:39 am

So... illegal immigration is A-OK but me expressing my views on it isn't? Okkaaayy...
This Website Censors Me

AR385

Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 13):
I don't think that the threads have been racist. As far as "your people" go, they're welcome here, just come the legal way. I think that the basic sentiment is that people aren't against the immigrants, they are against them illegally entering the country.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 35):
About a week ago I was accused of being a racist by one of our south of the border members (Not Canada). It was in the thread about Mexico legalizing some drugs, and I made a comment that the US was getting the better end of the deal. Their workers head north and our junkies head south. I still haven't figured out what he thought was racist about my coments If anything, I would have though that saying Americans headed to Mexico where junkies would have said more ill toward US members not Mexican ones.

Referr to my answer to your post an your synapses may start to understand why I thought it was a racist, bigot and bad joke. I was th one "South of the border" to answer you in the terms you described.

Now to the first reply, we are not welcome in your country, legalor otherwise. I can give you examples, but right now I am leaving. We can discuss this latter.

Newark777

Wed May 03, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 37):
we are not welcome in your country, legalor otherwise.

Maybe if more Mexicans didn't try to enter the USA every day illegally, we would be more welcoming of your people.

Referr to my answer to your post an your synapses may start to understand why I thought it was a racist, bigot and bad joke.

That's your opinion. L-188, myself, and many others obviously don't think it was in bad taste. Just because you are so impassioned with it being racist doesn't mean you are right.

Harry

deltagator

Wed May 03, 2006 11:17 am

Now to the first reply, we are not welcome in your country, legalor otherwise.

That's BS and you know it. If you are here legally and you run across discrimination then shame on them for being narrow minded. I would hope in today's world we can get beyond this sort of crap but as long as "activists" are constantly playing the race card things are going to continue down this path.

If you are here illegally then shame on you. Pack your bags and get the heck out and come back when you are ready to play by the rules. Until then don't expect to be treated as an equal in our society since you have no respect for our laws. There is nothing rascist in that train of thought as it is strictly a legal point of view.

ltbewr

Wed May 03, 2006 11:25 am

There have been times when at this and other board sites I go to that I have put in a delete request with my reasoning for where race, ethnic, religious or sexual comments of an insulting or degrading way have been posted. Some political discussions here get quite bad and insulting as well resulting in suspensions of access here. Then there has been suggestions of sexual devience (usually involving sheep) and certain popular posters and punishment for those who went too far (as well as in their reactions).  duck 
Illegal immigration is a serious and very conterversial issue in the USA, but the EC has had it shares of problems as well (re: immigrants from Islamic countries). It is difficult for many from their experiences to keep prespective on such issues. What we can hope for is a balanced, pragmatic and humane way for all parties on this issue and for all of us here to keep civil when discussing it and other issues

MDorBust

Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 am

Now to the first reply, we are not welcome in your country, legalor otherwise. I can give you examples, but right now I am leaving. We can discuss this latter.

There better be some very good support comeing to any claim that hispanic peoples are not welcomed in the United States or this is nothing more that pure flamebait.

I however can help you with some specific examples. You handed out pamphlets for the Mexican government that advised people on how to subvert American law and enter our country illegally. You would probably not welcomed in the country if ICE knew.

But no, that's not racism, it's law enforcement. And no, it has nothing to do with hispanics, just you.

So please, pretty please with sugar and a cherry on top. Cite some real examples of hispanics not being welcome in the United States. And no, as per my example, not individual hispanics, or groups of hispanics who violate the law. Hispanics as a people if you would.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

jafa39

Wed May 03, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 40):
suggestions of sexual devience (usually involving sheep)

OMG!! That's terrible! ban them all I say!!!  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

NWA742

Wed May 03, 2006 11:33 am

so the fact that they are "illegal" means you and the others can go all out and insult them? They ARE humans and therefore have rights just like you and me.

No, they don't have rights just like you and me. They are not here legally, they are criminals, they have no respect for our own rules and laws.

Use your brain, get that through your thick skull, and quit the race card bullshit.

we are not welcome in your country

You are not welcome here illegally.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

L-188

Wed May 03, 2006 11:34 am

thought it was a racist, bigot and bad joke.

Well I'll give you the bad joke....sort of a dark humor comment.

I was th one "South of the border" to answer you in the terms you described

I am in Alaska.....South of the Border means British Columbia.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 39):
There is nothing rascist in that train of thought as it is strictly a legal point of view.

I think that has a lot to do with it....We are agueign legal points on an emotional issue.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

boeingfanyyz

Wed May 03, 2006 11:34 am

Well, if it bugs you that much, then do it!

I dont see your argument. Sometimes the truth is not pretty, and some members decide to bring it up.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Newark777

Wed May 03, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 43):

No, they don't have rights just like you and me.

Well, they do have Constitutional rights, as they are not limited just to citizens, but...

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 43):
They are not here legally, they are criminals, they have no respect for our own rules and laws.

This is absolutely correct.

Harry

ba747yyz

Wed May 03, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 35):
About a week ago I was accused of being a racist by one of our south of the border members (Not Canada).

Seeing as Canada is not south of the US, that is geographically inncorrect

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 38):
are not welcome in your country, legalor otherwise.

I hope this is not an example of the Mexican education system otherwise you shouldn't be allowed in the US!

Newark777

Wed May 03, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 47):

Seeing as Canada is not south of the US, that is geographically inncorrect

He's from Alaska.  Wink

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 47):

I hope this is not an example of the Mexican education system otherwise you shouldn't be allowed in the US!

I didn't say that!  Wow!

Just for the record, you clicked the "Quote Selected Text" button in my post, which is below the intended one, which made it seem as though I said it. Just for future reference.  Wink

Harry

ba747yyz

Wed May 03, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 48):
He's from Alaska.

Makes sense now

Sorry I was looking for the original text but could not find it