USAF757300
Topic Author

Traveling To The Far East, Questions

Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 pm

Hello

Me and my father will be traveling to the far east for about a week in March. Being that I have never been there I am very excited to see the different cultures and what not. We have it down to the following destinations: Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, and Singapore. What would you guys who have been to any, or all of these places recomend, or not recomend for that matter. Also, we would be leaving from LAX so there are pleanty of choises on airlines, but again what would you recomend. I would like to try a pacific carrier just because I hear their service is far above that of most American airlines. Preferably in the star alliance as well ( so I can get United miles). So that would leave it to SQ, TG, NH, and OZ. Thank you for all your input.

USAF757300.

Braybuddy

RE: Traveling To The Far East, Questions

Fri May 05, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting USAF757300 (Thread starter):
Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, and Singapore. What would you guys who have been to any, or all of these places recomend, or not recomend for that matter.

Haven't been to Shanghai, but of the other three, Tokyo is the most interesting, and expensive. Bangkok is not a particularly attractive city and neither is Singapore. I wouldn't stay any more than a few days in either. Singapore is one big shopping centre and not much else; at least Bangkok has a more lively feel. One good thing about the Far East is that it is one of the safest places to travel and the people are very friendly.

I don't know what the fuss is about the oriental carriers' service. Unless you are travelling business or first there's not a lot of difference between them and the major internnational carriers, though certainly some of them have more legroom (34") than western ones.

As for what to do and see, my best tip would be to buy some good guide books such as the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet. They have all the information you need, from accommodation to restaurants to bars and everything that's worth seeing and doing. You won't need anything else, apart from money, when you have these.

ba747yyz

Fri May 05, 2006 9:31 am

Go to Hong Kong! But Shanghi would be good, but using an asian carrier is hard, unless you want to go via SIN, or BKK. And Bangkok is good, and Singapore has a lot, and both are full of history. I see no reason to go to Tokyo.

UpperDeck79

Fri May 05, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting USAF757300 (Thread starter):
Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, and Singapore

All very good (and big!) Asian metropolises. But please try some smaller places on the countrysides, too!  Smile Especially in Thailand.
AY and ANA rock!