dtwclipper

Detroit Outlaws Cell Phones For Drivers

Thu May 04, 2006 7:34 am

Drivers in Detroit beware: City Council has passed an ordinance that could cost you $100 if you're caught talking on your handheld cell phone while driving.

The Detroit City Council's plan says drivers can only use hands-free devices, such as earpieces, to talk on their cell phones. The law follows in the steps of cities, such as New York City, which have had such a ban for several years now.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...icle?AID=/20060503/NEWS99/60503007

Now, if they could only ban women from putting on makeup when they're driving, maybe we could have a law that would accomplish something.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

11Bravo

RE: Detroit Outlaws Cell Phones For Drivers

Thu May 04, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
Now, if they could only ban women from putting on makeup...

...,or the dude I saw reading the friggin newspaper at 70 mph the other morning.
WhaleJets Rule!

dtwclipper

Thu May 04, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 1):
...,or the dude I saw reading the friggin newspaper at 70 mph the other morning.

Would agree with that too!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Daleaholic

Thu May 04, 2006 7:42 am

or the dude I saw reading the friggin newspaper at 70 mph the other morning.

Haha! Awesome! That law was introduced here the other year.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

kmh1956

Thu May 04, 2006 7:44 am

I wish they'd do it everywhere. I've nearly been run over more times than I care to think about by drivers on cellphones.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

searpqx

Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 pm

Mostly a symbolic measure - study after study has shown that its the distraction caused by carrying on the conversation that causes the problems, not having one hand pressed to your ear. So as long as calls, and reading, and eating and applying makeup, etc., is allowed, accidents from distracted drivers will continue to climb.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

deltagator

Thu May 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Now, if they could only ban women from putting on makeup...

I saw an airline pilot shaving in the car one day on the way to PHL. And not the electric razor type. He had shaving cream on his face. Dangerous but oh so impressive.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AirplaneDork

Thu May 04, 2006 2:04 pm

I make most of my calls from my car. Is everyone else stupid, or am I just exceptionally skilled that I can maintain the speed limit, stay in the lane, and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while speaking? Amazingly enough I can whistle and walk at the same time too.
To fly, the dream of man and flightless bird alike!

kmh1956

Fri May 05, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting AirplaneDork (Reply 7):
I make most of my calls from my car. Is everyone else stupid, or am I just exceptionally skilled that I can maintain the speed limit, stay in the lane, and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while speaking? Amazingly enough I can whistle and walk at the same time too.

Not skilled, just bloody lucky.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

MD11Engineer

Fri May 05, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 5):
Mostly a symbolic measure - study after study has shown that its the distraction caused by carrying on the conversation that causes the problems, not having one hand pressed to your ear. So as long as calls, and reading, and eating and applying makeup, etc., is allowed, accidents from distracted drivers will continue to climb.

AFIAK, in China, while driving a car, for the driver no conversation with his passengers, eating, drinking, smoking etc. is permitted.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

airlinelover

Fri May 05, 2006 9:05 am

Drivers in Detroit beware: City Council has passed an ordinance that could cost you $100 if you're caught talking on your handheld cell phone while driving.

This is just D-town trying to make some spare money for the mayor to embezzle..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

luv2fly

Fri May 05, 2006 9:14 am

What are the odds that the 7 people in the city of Detroit that actually have a car also have a cell phone?
You can cut the irony with a knife

N312RC

Fri May 05, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 11):
What are the odds that the 7 people in the city of Detroit that actually have a car also have a cell phone?

What do you mean? Most of the people down there have a nicer phone and car than I do, and I live in Novi....

The more bling the better, baby!! Follow them home and you'll see their house is leaning to one side and has no paint, but they also have a Satellite dish...

Bling bling baby!
N/A

AirCop

Fri May 05, 2006 9:54 am

Might be a good idea to have someone following you flim your vehicle while you drive and talk..Might be eye-opening.  crackup 

TedTAce

Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 am

I take roadside assistance calls for a cellular company, and let me tell you (while close) nothing is as bad as DTW. They never know where they are, what they need, or have their phone with them as required. Oh, and lets not EVEN start to talk about their 'entitled' attitude. 'I Pay $x/month (under $5) for this program and all I get is the hookup and 3 miles??'

Gimme a freaking break....when it comes to morons on the road; I wish DTW and and LAX would mystically disappear.
This space intentionally left blank

DrDeke

Sat May 06, 2006 4:28 am

I make most of my calls from my car. Is everyone else stupid, or am I just exceptionally skilled that I can maintain the speed limit, stay in the lane, and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while speaking?

Both.

I too can, in most circumstances, drive in the manner you mention while talking on my phone, whereas most people don't seem to EVER be able to drive in that manner. If for any reason I cannot drive in what I feel is a safe and correct manner while talking on my phone, I end the conversation immediately.

I can do this and I am physically handicapped in one of my arms, which makes it seem even more ridiculous that so many people who are fully physically able still cannot control their cars even when they are not on the phone.

Quoting N312RC (Reply 12):
Follow them home and you'll see their house is leaning to one side and has no paint, but they also have a Satellite dish...

Well, TV is the new opiate of the masses, isn't it?

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.