deltagator

OZ Prostitutes Can Deduct "business Tools"

Sat May 06, 2006 1:34 am

I didn't realize prostitution was legal in the land of Oz. About time prostitutes were given the ability to deduct business items. Bravo Oz!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194368,00.html

And before our liberal friends complain about it being from Fox News it is just a news feed from the AP.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Pope

RE: OZ Prostitutes Can Deduct "business Tools"

Sat May 06, 2006 3:34 am

Actually there's a pretty famous US tax court case where an exotic dancer was allowed to deduct her huge (56N) breast implants.

The court ruled against the IRS who argued that the deduction was for personal reasons. The dancer took the position that the breast were so large that they would only be put in to increase her earnings as a dancer and are therefore ordinary and necessary expenses.

The case is mentioned at http://www.forbes.com/2001/03/05/0305finance_print.html toward the bottom of the article.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

bill142

Sat May 06, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Thread starter):
I didn't realize prostitution was legal in the land of Oz. About time prostitutes were given the ability to deduct business items. Bravo Oz!

Yes it is, and why shouldn't it be taxed like any other job? The excuse "I've had a hard day on my back with my legs in the air" won't cut it with the ATO.

QANTASforever

Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 am

Prostitution is not simply legal, it's regulated. Brothels must conform to various legal standards, and are subject to government inspection. Various state governments have recognised that if we are to be serious about fighting AIDS, we need to ensure that prostitutes (working in and outside brothels) are safe, and will not spread any sort of diseases. I think it's a very clever thing to do. If thousands of years of modern human history has taught us anything, it's that prostitution always has existed, and most likely always will exist.

I would think this makes sense to most people.

To Australians, ensuring that AIDS doesn't spread out of control is far more important than any moral stand against prostitution.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

deltagator

Sat May 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 3):
If thousands of years of modern human history has taught us anything, it's that prostitution always has existed, and most likely always will exist.

I would think this makes sense to most people.

Yes, it makes sense even to a hillbilly colonial like myself.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 3):
To Australians, ensuring that AIDS doesn't spread out of control is far more important than any moral stand against prostitution.

I wasn't making any moral stand. I just didn't know that brothels and such were legal in Oz. It makes decent sense as it is regulated for health reasons and in my opinion it is a victimless crime anyways. You do it because you want to do so.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

QANTASforever

Sat May 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 4):
I wasn't making any moral stand.

No no, I meant the US government. I know that regulating prostitution would be seen by many political conservatives in your country as condoning debauched behaviour.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.