VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Tracking Lost GSM Cell Phones

Sun May 07, 2006 9:07 am

Hey all,

Is it possible to track a lost GSM phone if somebody removed the owners SIM card and replaced it with their own? My friend lost her phone, she tried to call it but it just goes straight to voicemail. She reported it as lost of course, but is there anyway for the service provider to track it still? The customer service rep she talked to didn't seem very "with it" if you know what I mean.

I just thought I'd ask here because I know there's some techy guru types here who know this stuff Big grin

Kris

aloges

RE: Tracking Lost GSM Cell Phones

Sun May 07, 2006 9:09 am

That could be possible through the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number every mobile phone has. But don't ask me how to even try it, I've got no idea - maybe it's possible to change the IMEI, maybe there's no way to find out which phone has which IMEI unless you've got it right in your hands, maybe maybe maybe...  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

gigneil

Sun May 07, 2006 11:54 am

They should have no problem locking the phone out of the network based on IMEI... but I don't know if they can "track it", per se.

There really isn't much value to "tracking" the phone through the network - the police isn't going to send a SWAT team to the location of the phone, unfortunately.  Smile

N

LOT767-300ER

Sun May 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 2):
They should have no problem locking the phone out of the network based on IMEI... but I don't know if they can "track it", per se.

That wont do crack. Any fool (including myself when I was 14) could unlock almost any phone on the market via way of cable and software.

N1120A can attest I am a mobile phone god/nerd. So read this:

http://forum.hfactorx.org/index.php?...rd=49;action=display;threadid=1382

Unless you owned a Treo 700w, Nokia N90 or Samsung E900 Euro Spec Just buy a new phone.

yowza

Sun May 07, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 3):
Quoting Gigneil (Reply 2):

That wont do crack. Any fool (including myself when I was 14) could unlock almost any phone on the market via way of cable and software.

Unlocking a phone from the provider it's bound too is easy and is a client side problem. If the network blocks out an IMEI the phone will not be able to work on that network. Of course if you're super into it you could try flash a clean IMEI onto the phone but I don't know of any way to do this.

YOWza

LOT767-300ER

Sun May 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
Unlocking a phone from the provider it's bound too is easy and is a client side problem. If the network blocks out an IMEI the phone will not be able to work on that network. Of course if you're super into it you could try flash a clean IMEI onto the phone but I don't know of any way to do this.

If you have Symbian, Palm OS and now even the newer Windows CE/Mobile it is possible. I dont think Ive ever heard of reflash/flex of a mobile that is not PDA based such as a Normal V551 or the likes.