dtwclipper

Moussaoui Moves To Withdraw Guilty Plea

Tue May 09, 2006 6:07 am

Convicted September 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui says he lied on the witness stand about being involved in the plot and wants to withdraw his guilty plea because he now believes he can get a fair trial.

In a motion filed Friday but released Monday, Moussaoui said he testified March 27 he was supposed to hijack a fifth plane on September 11, 2001, and fly it into the White House "even though I knew that was a complete fabrication."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/08/moussaoui.ap/index.html
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

mbmbos

RE: Moussaoui Moves To Withdraw Guilty Plea

Tue May 09, 2006 6:12 am

"...who's sorry now? Who's sad and blue?"

Ahhh, spending the next sixty years in solitary confinement is going to be a real bummer.

11Bravo

Tue May 09, 2006 6:14 am

Whatever, ... Go to jail, go directly to jail....

You're not going to France.
You're not going to be retried.

You're going to jail.

buh bye.
WhaleJets Rule!

BritPilot777

Tue May 09, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 2):

You're going to jail.

buh bye.

hahahaha LOL  rotfl 
Forever Flight

CastleIsland

Tue May 09, 2006 6:26 am

Bread, water and a pot to piss in. That's what he gets.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

bushpilot

Tue May 09, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah I agree with everyone so far, firstly did anybody really believe that? I knew I didnt when he said him and the dimwhit shoe bomber were supposed to crash into the WH.
He plead guilty, he made those statements at the sentancing trial IIRC and it seemed an obvious attempt to get himself the death penalty, but I think the jury saw through this, and made the decision they did and I think it is the right one. He cannot withdraw a guilty plea after sentancing, he can appeal it later but the chances of that getting through is slimmer than Kate Moss after 6 months in Darfur.

deltagator

Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 am

You're going to jail.

buh bye.

He's also not getting thrice daily ass rapings for the rest of his life. He should count his blessings.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 5):
I knew I didnt when he said him and the dimwhit shoe bomber were supposed to crash into the WH.

I got a chuckle out of that one. I would have loved to have seen the response that Reid gave when questioned about it. "Uhm...no your Honor. I don't know what this fool is talking about at all. I was told to blow stuff up with my feet."

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 5):
but the chances of that getting through is slimmer than Kate Moss after 6 months in Darfur.

Nice analogy. Must find a way to fit that one into conversation.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Scrappy74

Tue May 09, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):
He's also not getting thrice daily ass rapings for the rest of his life. He should count his blessings.

It's too bad a few weeks at Sing Sing or Rikers Island periodically can't be written in as a rider to Zacky's sentence. I was surprised by the announcement for only a brief moment in the gym...he's figured out that this is a way to remain in the spotlight since the MSM had largely dropped the subject over the weekend.

He's likely safer in that concrete palace than out on the streets...
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

N766UA

Tue May 09, 2006 7:22 am

I feel better about the life imprisonment decision now, knowing he's already trying to find ways out of it.
This Website Censors Me

jetjack74

Tue May 09, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
Convicted September 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui says he lied on the witness stand about being involved in the plot and wants to withdraw his guilty plea because he now believes he can get a fair trial.

Maybe he feels this way after his first day as someones girlfriend. Sorry Zach, you play the hand you're dealt. Too late. You lost, America won. Enjoy confinement, you'll have plenty of time to convert to Islam.
Made from jets!

bushpilot

Tue May 09, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Scrappy74 (Reply 7):
It's too bad a few weeks at Sing Sing or Rikers Island periodically can't be written in as a rider to Zacky's sentence.

I have said this in other threads, I also think it would be a great way to raise revenue to have a pay per view cage match with Zachy, OBL if he is ever caught, but you have 12 lower Manhattan firefighters vs Zakmo, if he can climb out of the 15 foot fences while the firefighters get pool balls in tube socks. If he can make it out, we will extradite him to France. 49.95 on pay per view, have Don King be the promoter and Fox TV do the coverage, super bowl priced commercials during it, all the proceeds go to rebuilding the freedom tower.

Quoting Scrappy74 (Reply 7):
He's likely safer in that concrete palace than out on the streets...

For sure, he would get smoked by someone on the street. But even more dangerous than the street would be general population lockup in one of the more wild state prisons, Sing Sing does come to mind, but Pelican Bay in CA, he wouldnt last too long in either place. Id give an extra fruit cup everyday for a week at lunch for the first inmate that shanks him.

Scrappy74

Tue May 09, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 10):
I have said this in other threads, I also think it would be a great way to raise revenue to have a pay per view cage match with Zachy, OBL if he is ever caught, but you have 12 lower Manhattan firefighters vs Zakmo

Welcome to my growing RU list...I floated a similar idea during a class last semester which was met with gasps and a solitary chuckle. Well perhaps a new one would be to let him go but give him a Martha Stewart-style ankle bracelet...

stirthepot 

kmh1956

Tue May 09, 2006 8:35 am

He's just pissed he's not going to get his virgins in heaven after becoming a martyr for the cause....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

bristolflyer

Tue May 09, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 12):
He's just pissed he's not going to get his virgins in heaven after becoming a martyr for the cause....

checkmark 

I bet he wanted the death sentence, now he's got a fate worse than death (solitary confinement for life). Whilst it is gonna cost Johnny Q Taxpayer a lot of cash to keep him behind bars at least we know he's suffering.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

NWA742

Tue May 09, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 8):
I feel better about the life imprisonment decision now, knowing he's already trying to find ways out of it.

checkmark 

Definitely. At first, I was disappointed that they didn't choose to fry his ass, but that's what he really seems to want.

Glad we didn't give it to him then.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AirCop

Tue May 09, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 9):
Sorry Zach, you play the hand you're dealt. Too late.

Understand Florence, Colorado is nice in the winter.

Mir

Tue May 09, 2006 10:41 am

Isn't lying under oath a crime in and of itself? So now he's trying to get out of one crime by saying he committed another?  confused 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

L-188

Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 12):
He's just pissed he's not going to get his virgins in heaven after becoming a martyr for the cause

I think he just relized that in prison...he would be the Virgin
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 am

And you're not getting those virgins either . . .

Yet another need for the LOSER Emoticon on A-Net.

scratchchin  How long before some ultra-bleeding heart liberal decides he's deserving of another trial?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AirCop

Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 am

Well, since he pled guilty he doesn't have the right to an appeal on his original charge, so its time to pay the piper..It will only be a matter of time before he starts losing his mind..  crazy  Love it when a plan backfires like this..

itsjustme

Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
How long before some ultra-bleeding heart liberal decides he's deserving of another trial?

checkmark 

Waiting for the ACLU to stick their nose in any day now...

Scrappy74

Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
Well, since he pled guilty he doesn't have the right to an appeal on his original charge,

Just read an update in Washington Post that the bid was rejected...

".....Facing transfer to the nation's toughest federal prison, Zacarias Moussaoui served up what may be his final legal surprise yesterday: The al-Qaeda conspirator said he was not involved in the Sept. 11, 2001, terror plot after all and wants a new trial to prove it. His efforts were immediately rejected by a federal judge...."

Game, set, match...enjoy the public toilet, ZMo.

N766UA

Tue May 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Thank God they shot that one down quick. Scumbag.
This Website Censors Me

AirframeAS

Tue May 09, 2006 2:07 pm

Seems to be a tad bit too late to change his mind. What an idiot!

Why waste more taxpayer dollars from John Q. Public just to get what 'Zack Preppy Morris'.....I mean.... Moussaoui wants?! Ridiculous!!!!!!!

I thought he was going to Florence, CO. to carry out his sentence. Is this still gonna happen? When will he be transferred there?

Have fun, Zack! Hope you become paranoid and deliousional with an idenitity disorder before the year is out!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ME AVN FAN

Wed May 10, 2006 2:21 am

Whatever, he now finally has come to senses and has said the truth. Late or not, the main point is that the reality now becomes clear. He will in the end have a re-trial, but it will take ages.

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 24):
Whatever, he now finally has come to senses and has said the truth. Late or not, the main point is that the reality now becomes clear. He will in the end have a re-trial, but it will take ages.

No retrial. You can't withdraw a guilty plea after sentencing. No retrial, go directly to SuperMax, don't get ass raped, and die many years later in a solitary cell. End of story.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

11Bravo

Wed May 10, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 24):
He will in the end have a re-trial, but it will take ages.

DeltaGator is correct. There is no right to appeal once a guilty plea has been entered. The judge in this case made that absolutely clear in the sentencing hearing.

He could appeal on other grounds like competency, prosecutorial misconduct, inadequate representation, or some other procedural basis. I think that's very unlikely.
WhaleJets Rule!

AirframeAS

Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 26):
He could appeal on other grounds like competency, prosecutorial misconduct, inadequate representation, or some other procedural basis. I think that's very unlikely.

Inadequate representation?! The man fired his attorneys for christs sakes!! He represented himself!!

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 5:48 am

That judge did everything to ensure a fair trial. Judges don't like to see their rulings (although this one came from a jury) overturned on appeal, especially if it is some technicality like representation, etc. Other than some bitching and moaning until they drag him out to SuperMax I suspect we have heard the last from Zach.

He's what...30ish now? Maybe in 50-60 years there will be a news blurb about how he died in prison and we'll go..."Oh yeah. I remember that jackass. Good riddance and sorry that you'll find out the 72 virgins are sloppy ass fat chicks with a mustache like Freddy Mercury. Enjoy fighting with Hitler and Pol Pot for control of the thermostat in Hell!"

11Bravo

Wed May 10, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):
Inadequate representation?! The man fired his attorneys for christs sakes!! He represented himself!!

That is why I said it's unlikely  Yeah sure

He didn't actually represent himself. First he had legal council, then he fired them, then he was forced to take them back by the court, then he fired them again, then he agreed to take them back.

I think it's reasonable to conclude that's not what most people would think of as a well thought out legal strategy. Whether a court would listen to that sometime down the road is another matter, but it's been done before.

The issue isn't WHY someone didn't have adequate representation. The question is "was the representation adequate?"
WhaleJets Rule!

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 29):
The question is "was the representation adequate?"

Well it breaks down two ways...If you're an Islamic terrorist then the answer is no. If you're most everyone else the answer is yes.

ME AVN FAN

Wed May 10, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 25):
End of story

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 26):
DeltaGator is correct. There is no right to appeal once a guilty plea has been entered

Fact is that the verdict is/was based on wrong assumptions (self-accusations). There will be a revision trial in some years time. This is customary in all lawful countries on earth. I am NOT a lawyer, and cannot tell you how it has to be put forward in the USA, but put forward it will be. The guilty-plea not only has become nonsensical, it is beyond my understanding how they ever could believe his previous and now invalid self-accusations.

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 6:24 am

You spin it however you need to spin it. If the self accusations are lies then perhaps he should have shut his mouth during the trial and let the facts be presented. Oh wait, those facts would have found him guilty as well. Oh well, sucks to be Zach.

We are a lawful country and he is going away for the rest of his life. No retrial based on the evidence and rulings in place right now.

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 31):
The guilty-plea not only has become nonsensical, it is beyond my understanding how they ever could believe his previous and now invalid self-accusations.

It was believed because he was under oath. So if he wants to retract his guilty plea he is now saying he is guilty of perjury by lying under oath about what his intentions were. Sorry, but he's screwed either way. No way, no how, will this jackass ever see the light of day other than over a heavily fortified barbed wire fence.

No retrial unless additional evidence is brought forward to show the government used tainted evidence or had witnesses lie under oath which won't happen because they aren't there. Good trial, government was scolded by the judge when need be and Zach is SuperMax bound.

As the stewardesses say....buh bye!

ME AVN FAN

Wed May 10, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):
If the self accusations are lies then perhaps he should have shut his mouth during the trial and let the facts be presented

not only perhaps but quite definitely.

Oh wait, those facts would have found him guilty as well.

guilty of gross nonsense

No retrial

there will BE a retrial, but it will take years

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):
believed because he was under oath

believed because he was under oath

guilty of perjury

11Bravo

Wed May 10, 2006 6:45 am

Fact is that the verdict is/was based on wrong assumptions (self-accusations).

It wasn't a verdict, he plead guilty and was sentenced.

There will be a revision trial in some years time. This is customary in all lawful countries on earth.

That's just not true. You have to have a basis in law for an appeal of a conviction or sentence. You don't automatically get a retrial just "because". There are millions of people in this country who would need to be retried if that were the case.

Moussaoui can file all the appeals he wants, but unless he comes up with something that has real substance and merit, he won't be retried.
WhaleJets Rule!

AirframeAS

Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 35):
Moussaoui can file all the appeals he wants

And he will be granted appeals but decisions will be denied every single time, I can guarantee that!

He is GUILTY...end of story. He is gone!

PSA727

Wed May 10, 2006 11:52 am

I guess things seem less glorious to him spending the rest of his
life rotting in an American jail.
This proves that life imprisonment is more cruel for this
a**hole than execution.
The only part that sucks is that we're stuck with the bill.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

scbriml

Wed May 10, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 37):
The only part that sucks is that we're stuck with the bill.

There is a cost associated with real justice in all countries that dispense it. It goes with the teritory.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

wrighbrothers

Thu May 11, 2006 3:12 am

Right, so he does all the terrible crimes he did, then pleaded guilty, exited screaming out to the court that the west is going to die etc etc,
Now he's suddenly realised what he's actually facing, and now he wants us to be [b]KIND[b] to him ??? , I mean, he wants to use our lifestyle to his advantage, the same one he want(ed) to destroy ??,
Now I'm no expert, but someone like him doesn't really deserve the luxury of changing his plea, maybe it's just me though ?

As other have said, throw him in solitary confinement and lose the key
Wrighbrohters
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

ME AVN FAN

Thu May 11, 2006 5:46 am

he plead guilty and was sentenced.

true. his problem and not mine. By common sense he should have corrected his nonsense BEFORE the sentence and not after.

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 39):
he does all the terrible crimes he did

what terrible crimes ? A) gross nonsense B) membership of a criminal organisation C) taking flight lessons with terrorist considerations
> but no participation in any real terrorist actions or conspiracies

You have to have a basis in law for an appeal of a conviction or sentence. You don't automatically get a retrial just "because"

it will NOT be automatically, but he will hire a good lawyer to arrange an appeal

Moussaoui can file all the appeals he wants, but unless he comes up with something that has real substance and merit, he won't be retried.

but he HAS come up with something of real substance NOW, while his previous self-accusations were completely without substance and absolutely nonsensical.

wrighbrothers

Thu May 11, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
what terrible crimes ? A) gross nonsense B) membership of a criminal organisation C) taking flight lessons with terrorist considerations
> but no participation in any real terrorist actions or conspiracies

Sorry, I worded my post wrong
No, he didn't take part, BUT he was (and by the likes of it, still is) willing to, and was probably going to do the crimes he is charged for, he wanted to kill as many Innocent people as possible, that's a crime.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

ME AVN FAN

Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 41):
he wanted to kill as many Innocent people as possible, that's a crime.

no doubt. but it nevertheless is not the same as conspiracy and/or really done crimes.

AirframeAS

Thu May 11, 2006 6:43 am

but he HAS come up with something of real substance NOW, while his previous self-accusations were completely without substance and absolutely nonsensical.

Dude, you sound like you are on HIS side. Why not you lawyer up with him? Im pretty sure that there are not very many lawyers here in the U.S. that would want to represent him knowing it will damage his/her career. The sad part is that terrorists have the right to legal representation, which totally sucks!

ME AVN FAN

Thu May 11, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 43):
you sound like you are on HIS side

He before his time at university in London was neither fundamentalist nor extremist, and not terrorist-minded at all. He changed in that time. His brother published a book under the title "my brother the terrorist" which is quite interesting. That "writer-brother" in the "before"-time was the less funny and less upbeat of the two.

11Bravo

Thu May 11, 2006 7:27 am

Sense and substance really have nothing to do with it. He entered into a plea agreement. That's like a contract. He signed that agreement and he verbally stated, under oath, that he agreed with its terms. A statement like that cannot be true or false; it's just a declarative agreement. The facts regarding whether or not he was, or was not, a terrorist are really not the issue here.
WhaleJets Rule!

scbriml

Thu May 11, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 45):
He entered into a plea agreement. That's like a contract. He signed that agreement and he verbally stated, under oath, that he agreed with its terms.

checkmark 

Having pleaded guilty under oath, I don't see what options he has to back out now.

In a slightly twisted way, it's quite amusing.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

ME AVN FAN

Thu May 11, 2006 7:39 am

it's just a declarative agreement.

you might say as well that "it only is a declarative agreement". An interesting challenge for a lawyer to overcome this obstacle and achieve a re-trial. But whatever, he now has withdrawn (publicly) his earlier and false declaration.

AirframeAS

Thu May 11, 2006 7:54 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 44):
He before his time at university in London was neither fundamentalist nor extremist, and not terrorist-minded at all. He changed in that time.

That was then...which is irrevelant. This is NOW! We are more worried about what he is now than when he was in London or when he was in his early 20's.

He entered into a plea agreement. That's like a contract. He signed that agreement and he verbally stated, under oath, that he agreed with its terms. A statement like that cannot be true or false; it's just a declarative agreement.

checkmark  And CANNOT be reversed under any circumstances. An agreement is an agreement under U.S. law. If Moussaoui were to challenge the agreement in a court of law, the judge would 1) laugh at him and 2) dismiss the challenge without hearing a word from anyone. Plain and simple.

I think we just beat a dead horse with a stick. checkeredflag  Movin' on to the next topic, enough with this insanity......as far as Im concerned, hes gone and forgotten! Movin' on...like I said...............

ME AVN FAN

Fri May 12, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 48):
We are more worried about

not really so much to be worried about. Or are you worried about whomever may become a terrorist, whomever may become criminal, earthquakes which may happen now or later, etc ? If he has had some success than it apparently is that he managed to convince people that he might be an important person in some ways.