Topic Author

3 Days In Boston: Any Suggestion?

Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi guys,

at the end of this month I will attend the Inmarsat Conference in Boston.
I will stay there for 3 days so I'd like to have some suggestions about how to spend my evenings there.

Information about nice places to see and restaurants will be more than welcome!

deltagator

RE: 3 Days In Boston: Any Suggestion?

Tue May 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Restuarants: Legal Sea Foods. Very good but I'm sure the locals can find you something less busy.

Sites: Boston Common, State House, Fanueil Hall, all the other historic sites. There is a path painted on the ground to follow. Be careful as the drivers in Boston use the sidewalk as a lane. The cops also enforce jaywalking so watch out for them.

One thing I always suggest folks do is the tour of the Boston Beer Company/Sam Adams Brewery. You can get the info off their website and it is accessed by the subway (Orange line IIRC) and is just a short walk from the station. Not the greatest neighborhood so keep your wits about you. It's a neat little tour and you get to sample some of the beers afterwards. They don't charge anything but would like you to donate a couple of bucks to one of their charities. They have a tour that starts at 5 or 5:30 in the evening so it should sync up with your schedule.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
Restuarants: Legal Sea Foods. Very good but I'm sure the locals can find you something less busy.

Thanks for the tips, so are you telling me that Boston it's specialized in the sea food? Interesting...  yummy 

There is a path painted on the ground to follow.

Great idea!  thumbsup 

Be careful as the drivers in Boston use the sidewalk as a lane.

Ok, but since I live in Rome...  Wink

The cops also enforce jaywalking so watch out for them.

That's something new for me, thanks again for the tip!  scratchchin 

CastleIsland

Tue May 09, 2006 11:52 pm

Hey mate, make a guy's life a bit easier! Post the conference location so I don't have to Google it.  Wink

OK, you're at the Hyatt Regency on Avenue De Lafayette. It's on the border of Downtown Crossing/Theatre District and Chinatown. So, there's plenty to do within walking distance, but you also are very near the Downtown Crossing MBTA (the "T") Stop, so you can go many other places easily.

Sight Seeing: You've got to do some touristy stuff, so go to Qunicy Market/Faneuil Hall. To get there, take the Orange line from Downtown Crossing towars Oak Grove, but only go two stops to Haymarket. While there, go a bit further down Congress Street (it runs in front of Faneuil Hall) and see the Old State House (it will be off to your right at the intersection with State St.). Built in 1713, this is where the infamous Boston Massacre took place in 1770.

Also in Haymarket are several good restaurants: The Union Oyster House is a very old classic place. Just down the Street is the Marshall House - excellent Seafood. I forget the name of this street, but it is just a small street that runs parallel to Congress Street on the other side of the Holocaust Memorial.

There are a few pubs around there too, like the Purple Shamrock and the Green Dragon.

You are also staying very close to Boston Common and the Public Garden, so you should stroll through those. Just on the other side of the Public Garden from the Hyatt Regency is Newbury Street (it starts at Arlington St., which forms the western border of the Garden) - with upscale shopping and cafes with over-privileged clientele.  Wink

Another option would be to hop on the Red line at Downtown Crossing and go outbound toward Alewife. Get off at Harvard and just check out the place. If you choose to eat in Harvard Square, there are many options, but the best restaurant recommendation I can make is "Casablanca." It's behind the repertory theatre on Brattle Street. Upstairs on the Square (on JFK near the intersection with Mt. Auburn) is a swank place with excellent food, but it will set you back a fair bit - Casablanca is better, IMO.

Hope this gives you a start. Let me know if you need more.

John
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

CastleIsland

Tue May 09, 2006 11:54 pm

Lived here for 34 of my 42 years, and I've never seen that.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 3):
Hey mate, make a guy's life a bit easier! Post the conference location so I don't have to Google it.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  You are right, I'm sorry!  white 

Hope this gives you a start.

Oh, you can bet on it!

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 4):

That's definitely strange... maybe you lived in a rich quarter...!!!  Wink

Greyhound

Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting 777 (Thread starter):
I will stay there for 3 days so I'd like to have some suggestions about how to spend my evenings there.

Yes, I do have a suggestion... go to New York City.
 stirthepot 
29th, Let's Go!

Scrappy74

Wed May 10, 2006 12:24 am

If it's nice out temp-wise and you're looking to get to the ocean, jump on the Blue Line to Revere Beach...it's certainly NOT Miami but can be fun anyway (and is in a BOS approach path). If you're there, check out Kelly's Roast Beef, it's a New England legend.

Tons of fun bars near Harvard (TT the Bears, the Middle East, etc), as well as near Boston University. Boston is a pretty young city, although at the time you're going a lot of the students may have left for summer break. It's awesome any time of year though  Smile have fun!
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

CastleIsland

Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Scrappy74 (Reply 7):
Tons of fun bars near Harvard (TT the Bears, the Middle East, etc),

Those are in Central Sq., not Harvard...and I've gigged at both of them. tongue   Wink

cornish

Wed May 10, 2006 12:33 am

Just to clarify, are you going to Boston in the US or Boston in Lincolnshire ?  Wink

If its Boston in Lincolnshire I think they have a church with a funny tower and maybe you could do a two day package at Butlins in Skegness too  Silly
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 9):
Just to clarify, are you going to Boston in the US or Boston in Lincolnshire ?

If its Boston in Lincolnshire I think they have a church with a funny tower and maybe you could do a two day package at Butlins in Skegness too

I'm sorry for that but we are speaking about the real Boston, that one in the US...  Wink

cornish

Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 10):
I'm sorry for that but we are speaking about the real Boston, that one in the US...

Oh you mean NEW Boston  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 11):
Oh you mean NEW Boston

Yes, as European I have to say the NEW Boston...and, referring to the Americas, the NEW world duck 

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 1:17 am

Chowda!! There's a great place in Quincy Market called Boston Chowda Co. Definately grab some of that. As for restaurants, definately try the Union Oyster House on Congress St. For sightseeing, just follow the red brick road, aka the Freedom Trail. You'll go right by Boston Commons, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere's house, Bunker Hill, etc. etc. If you're up to it, make sure to climb the bunker hill monument for a great view! You can walk anywhere in Boston. It's a really great town. Have fun!
This Website Censors Me

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 4):

I got yelled at twice by cops down by the Commons and the AAA guide makes a note that it is enforced. Maybe just in there to scare folks from straying too far off the sidewalks into the crazy drivers.

Quoting 777 (Reply 2):
so are you telling me that Boston it's specialized in the sea food?

Very good seafood. You are sure to find some great Italian restuarants as well but then you are from Rome so just like the drivers you might be underwhelmed.

One other thing I didn't even think of was going to a Red Sox game. If they are in town I would highly suggest that for you. Fenway Park is old but a great baseball experience. If you can't get tickets online check with the concierge and they might find you some though you'll have to pay more for it.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Tom in NO

Wed May 10, 2006 2:32 am

For me, Boston is all about the Freedom Trail:
http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/home.htm

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

CastleIsland

Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
One other thing I didn't even think of was going to a Red Sox game. If they are in town I would highly suggest that for you. Fenway Park is old but a great baseball experience. If you can't get tickets online check with the concierge and they might find you some though you'll have to pay more for it.

Every seat for Fenway was sold out sometime ago, although there are ways of getting tickets without getting fleeced by a scalper. Stubhub.com is one option.

To get to Fenway Park, take the Red line toward Alewife one stop from Downtown Crossing (to Park Street) and change for the green line. You want any train, B, C, D, or E, since you will get off at Kenmore Sq. before the lines split.

drewfly

Wed May 10, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 16):
You want any train, B, C, D, or E, since you will get off at Kenmore Sq. before the lines split.

Not true, you would want to get on any green like train EXCEPT THE E line. The E line splits off after Copley. I've helped many a Sox fan on the ride home from work to make sure they don't end up getting off at Northeastern with me and walking the mile to Fenway.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

UAL747

Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 am

Go down to Newbury street if you want to hit the swanky shopping scene. Full of people in designer sunglasses driving Ferraris. Hot men and women. Cafe Armani is a good place to sit outside and people watch and I think one of the only places you can eat Gorgio Armani food! LOL. (Not that great, but still, great location). Also, if you like Indian food, there's a great place on "Newbs" but I can't remember the name. It's downstairs under a shop. Very nice, and somewhat expensive, but worth it. Was my favorite place to eat when I was at college in Boston.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

srbmod

Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 am

Sight Seeing: You've got to do some touristy stuff, so go to Qunicy Market/Faneuil Hall.

Right next to my favorite bar in Boston, The Black Rose.

One thing I always suggest folks do is the tour of the Boston Beer Company/Sam Adams Brewery. You can get the info off their website and it is accessed by the subway (Orange line IIRC) and is just a short walk from the station. Not the greatest neighborhood so keep your wits about you. It's a neat little tour and you get to sample some of the beers afterwards. They don't charge anything but would like you to donate a couple of bucks to one of their charities. They have a tour that starts at 5 or 5:30 in the evening so it should sync up with your schedule.

Damn fine tour. I'm looking at my tasting glass as I type.

Daytrips to Boston are one of the things I miss about working in the airline industry.

CastleIsland

Wed May 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):
Right next to my favorite bar in Boston, The Black Rose.

Well, my favorite bar in BOS is the Red Hat in old Scollay Square (top of New Charndon St. at Cambridge St. just off City Hall Plaza). I've had more free shit there and met more clean pussy there than at any bar anywhere.

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 pm

I gotta say on the subject of bars is I was a big fan of Jillian's. Full sized bowling alley, cool skydeck, billiards out the wazoo. And right by fenway! Maybe you can find a scalper and hit a sawx game while you're over there!
This Website Censors Me

CastleIsland

Wed May 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 21):
I gotta say on the subject of bars is I was a big fan of Jillian's. Full sized bowling alley, cool skydeck, billiards out the wazoo. And right by fenway! Maybe you can find a scalper and hit a sawx game while you're over there!

Jillian's rocks, but as for Sox tix, go to Stubhub.com. Much cheaper and reliable. I'd be glad to hook up, especially if you want to see a Sox game.

N766UA

Wed May 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 22):
I'd be glad to hook up, especially if you want to see a Sox game.

Next time I'm out there I might have to check into that. I love going to Boston and would love to catch a Sox game.
This Website Censors Me

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 2:12 pm

One thing to miss is going into the bar that was the facade for the TV show Cheers. It's called The Bull and Finch and while the outside looks just like the show the inside is completely different. Add to that there will be nobody shouting "Norm!" when you walk in the door.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):
Damn fine tour. I'm looking at my tasting glass as I type.

If you pester them enough during the tasting they might be nice enough to let you all taste a few more than the normal three beers. When I was there back in December they broke out 3 more types with two of them being exclusive to the Boston area. The other time I went I was given an individual tour by one of the company executives and had free reign of everything in the tasting room. I was pretty hammered by the time I made it back to the T.

CastleIsland

Wed May 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 23):
Next time I'm out there I might have to check into that. I love going to Boston and would love to catch a Sox game.

Patrick: Let me know. I'll score tickets on Stubhub for us. It's a crap-shoot, but I know the obstructed view sections.

I'd be glad to scope out a good dinner place and Sox Tix, although it won't be cheap!

Scrappy74

Wed May 10, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 8):
Quoting Scrappy74 (Reply 7):
Tons of fun bars near Harvard (TT the Bears, the Middle East, etc),

Those are in Central Sq., not Harvard...and I've gigged at both of them

Well my memory is already going...last time I was there was when I was 17, to catch my cousin's gig. I look out of place in bars NOW at 22, so it's no wonder I got such strange looks back then  Wink

Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 2:37 am

Hi guys,

first of all thanks for your suggestions! I guess that my 3 days stay in Boston will be very pleasant!

...my problem now is to find an hotel: it seems that at the end of May a large part of Masters and Degrees will end with the classic "last day" ceremony... so a bunch of relatives of those students have already planned to have a stay there... this explains to my why I found the AZ flight MXP-BOS already CLOSED in J class one month before my departure!

Boston it will be definitely a crowded town in that period!

A detailed trip report will follow!

Thanks again folks!

N766UA

Thu May 11, 2006 2:40 am

The Mariott Long Wharf is the best hotel in boston for location, IMHO. You can walk to anywhere along the water and the back bay is just a train ride away.
This Website Censors Me

Scrappy74

Thu May 11, 2006 2:47 am

Depending on how far you're willing to stay outside of the city, there are a number of hotels along Rt 93 (N of Boston) as well as to the south and west of the city. The Westin by Copley Plaza and the Prudential Center is nice and in the middle of the action though.

Another suggestion (as if you need anymore) and forgive me if anyone already mentioned it, but google "Blue Man Group." They perform at the Charles Playhouse, lots of fun. Cheers!

Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Scrappy74 (Reply 29):
Another suggestion (as if you need anymore) and forgive me if anyone already mentioned it, but google "Blue Man Group." They perform at the Charles Playhouse, lots of fun. Cheers!

I just saw their web site... it sounds good! Maybe I'll go to watch them! Thanks for the tip!  bigthumbsup 

UAL747

Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 27):
...my problem now is to find an hotel

I'll be the first to suggest the Ritz Carlton Boston. Right at the end of Newbury Street, great location, close to a T station, and beautiful scenery. I stayed there when my family and I went visiting colleges my senior year of high school and I opted to stay there again (instead of the dorms) during Freshman summer orientation. Great place on back bay...

If you're on more of a budget, the Hyatt Cambridge is okay. Nothing to write home about, but great location as well.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

PIA777

Thu May 11, 2006 2:37 pm

I have never been outside of Logan Airport but I would suggest not to
wear a Yankees hat.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

CastleIsland

Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 32):
I have never been outside of Logan Airport but I would suggest not to
wear a Yankees hat.

Actually, many people wear Yank-mes caps in Boston, and we put up with them, just like flies and mosquitos. We don't care if you have no sense of reality, just as long as you only look one way when crossing the trolley tracks.

aaden

Fri May 12, 2006 12:00 am

eat. the fooods great in boston