Timology
Topic Author

A Tornado Over A Bay In Sydney?

Wed May 10, 2006 5:49 am

Hi all,

was looking around with Google Earth and after watching same beaches and bays in Sydney, I struck on this:

It looks like a tornado to me, but not sure..

What you think?  cheeky 

btw, did a search on this wheter it has been posted before, but couldn't find anything...
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

YYZflyer

RE: A Tornado Over A Bay In Sydney?

Wed May 10, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting Timology (Thread starter):
It looks like a tornado to me, but not sure..

How could it be tornado if you can see the ground and there are no clouds? Though the shape does look like it.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

Timology
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 1):
How could it be tornado if you can see the ground and there are no clouds? Though the shape does look like it.

then what else could it be? Maybe they got rid of the clouds etc, there's a vulcano somewhere (forgot which one) which was erupting and that was clearly visible too
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 6:01 am

It's an optical illusion so to speak. The foam from the crashing waves kind of looks like a tornado turned on its side.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

redngold

Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 am

Even if it was a waterspout, there would have been clouds... and the view from above would not look like the funnel shape you've shown us. It would look more like a dark spot and a circular or tubular shape coming up from the water.

redngold
Up, up and away!

deltagator

Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am

It could be a "dust devil" where the wind swirls around but they usually don't get too big. Seeing that this is picture is by the water I'm still going with optical illusion from the sea foam.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."