lordanmol

Windows Media Player Help

Wed May 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Hello,

In WMP whenever I try to add something to my library it says that the file is not supported. I then looked at help and it said that you need the extension .WMA or something like that. So i did that and the file type stayed at .DAT.

Is there any way to change the file extension

I use WMP10 and WXP

Regards
Hmmmmm....

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Windows Media Player Help

Thu May 11, 2006 1:23 am

Where did you get files with a DAT extension? That's not a music format ... you need to know with what program it was made, and/or rename it to the correct extension if it's just the wrong onr (though I doubt it).

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

KBOS

Thu May 11, 2006 1:46 am

*.DAT files are the format the files use for downloading in programs like Kazaa.
What I did was to add Windows Media Player as the file type association for DAT files. In XP this is done by clicking on My Computer, then when that window pops up Tools, then Folder Options. When the Folder Options window opens, click the third tabcalled File Types. Scroll down till you find the DAT extension or add it if it's not there. Then click the open with tab and scroll down till you find the Media Player icon. Now when you click on a DAT file, WMP will open and try to play it. Keep in mind you might need to have most of the file downloaded for it to open and whatever program is downloading the DAT file must be closed for WMP to open it.
Hope that helps....
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

lordanmol

Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 pm

I got the .DAT file from a Friends Season. I bought a season and transferred it into my computer.

Regards
Hmmmmm....