Cadet57
Topic Author

Lego's, Ever Have Em As A Kid?

Thu May 11, 2006 9:41 am

I was at the toy store buying a gift for a younger cousin this weekend. He's really gotten into Legos according to my aunt, so I bought him some. As I walked the aisle I got a memory of when I was a little bastard and built a s**t load of stuff with em, like whole friggin cities and stuff... Had so much fun that I went out and bought a kit for my self, I kid you not. Im 18 and I just built a model airplane of legos... God I need help.... So, did anyone else play with them?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

TedTAce

RE: Lego's, Ever Have Em As A Kid?

Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 am

Ever been in a turkish prison?

Seriously I had them when I was young, built all kinds of crap and loved every second of it... the perfect toy for an only child.

[Edited 2006-05-11 02:44:25]
This space intentionally left blank

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
Ever been in a turkish prison?

cant say I have.... but if I ever do, i'll be sure to drop you a line...

TedTAce

Thu May 11, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
cant say I have.... but if I ever do, i'll be sure to drop you a line...

It's an Airplane joke....
This space intentionally left blank

BMIFlyer

Thu May 11, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
Ever Have Em As A Kid?

Hell, yes I did Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

KFLLCFII

Thu May 11, 2006 9:48 am

Oh heck yeah! I remember a few sets I had: One was supposed to be like an outpost station on the moon, and another was a race track! Of course you only build the kit by the instructions once, and then you just throw all the pieces into the giant bin when you're done.

Damn, those were the days...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
It's an Airplane joke....

I know it is... what kind of person do you think I am?

Timmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

"We must get these people to a hospital right away"

"A hospital, what is it doctor?"

"Its a big building, with patients, but thats not important right now"

greaser

Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 am

Sure...stopped buying them though when prices went up...could never afford that $100 castle or something, disappointing. But I must say, it's the best thing for a growing kid to have. Develops the mind through imagination and creative thinking. just make sure the child knows not to eat em first.
Now you're really flying

senorcarnival

Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 am

Me and my brothers combined had all sorts of Lego sets. I have some fond memories of playing with Legos as a youngin'.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

senorcarnival

Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 5):
Oh heck yeah! I remember a few sets I had: One was supposed to be like an outpost station on the moon, and another was a race track! Of course you only build the kit by the instructions once, and then you just throw all the pieces into the giant bin when you're done.

Oh yeah. No one I knew anyway had space in their room to store all the sets they owned assembled. Inversely, no one had the patience to reassemble them again after playing with them the first time so that's when we went freestyle. That's usually when the fun started.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Greaser (Reply 7):
just make sure the child knows not to eat em first.

Taught myself that... I actually ate a lego when I was three,mum had to have the doc give me some ipecac to chuck the thing up... learned my lesson....

bushpilot

Thu May 11, 2006 10:06 am

I had a 5 gallon bucket of them as a kid, made my own aircraft carriers and planes to go with it. Matter of fact my parents have a coffee table made out of a mangrove tree root, it has a glass top and together it weighs a quarter ton. It was always my toy fort as a kid, when they moved a few years ago to another house, the table had been sitting in the same spot for like 15 years, legos and micromachines fell out when the 4 movers picked it up.
Today I manage a youth center and we have regular legos for kids to play with, but the big hit is the mind storm deal, quite neat they are. I havent paid much attention to how they program them, but it is neat to see regardless.

KFLLCFII

Thu May 11, 2006 10:10 am

Wow!

Big grin
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

ATAIndy

Thu May 11, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
the perfect toy for an only child.

Ahh, yes I would have to agree. I used to build and build and build. Then, after I had created the city, I would destroy the whole thing.  devil 

Afterwards, I would pick them up -

and then you just throw all the pieces into the giant bin when you're done.

-Feister
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

N766UA

Thu May 11, 2006 10:11 am

Dude only communists didn't have legos.
This Website Censors Me

LTU932

Thu May 11, 2006 10:12 am

Indeed I had a Lego set when I was a kid. I built a few things with that, though gradually lost interest in it.

a380

Thu May 11, 2006 10:17 am

Played Lego as a child, highly recommended it for kids..

Btriple7

Thu May 11, 2006 10:18 am

My favourite Lego set was the airport.

Ah...good times.

Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

Frontiercpt

Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am

I remember when my dad came home with a set of legos that included two pilots, and a flight attendant, a control tower and the parts to make a plane(wing, tail, etc). We had so much fun building all sorts of stuff! Ah, the good ole' times when I was three....And then I got into Harry Potter Legos, and had most of the Hogwarts set. But then I sold it to bring in some $$$ lol.

On another note, anyone remember Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs? Haha, good memories!

KFLLCFII

Thu May 11, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 17):

Wow! Damn, missed out on that one  Sad

KROC

Thu May 11, 2006 10:23 am

I had some. They were perfect to build things for my real toys like G.I. Joe's and Transformers to destroy!  Wink

legalkiwi

Thu May 11, 2006 10:33 am

Definately - although my little brother was always more into it than me. He'd be building big cities and everything, but I tended to lose interest after a while. He ended up getting an engineering degree, which kinda makes sense.

By the way, I always thought Lego was the plural form - ie you would have "a peice of lego" rather than "a lego", and "some lego" rather than "some legos".
Any Danish people want to clarify? Lego's from Denmark isn't it?
kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu May 11, 2006 10:43 am

Oh yeah. I had the simple Legos when I was a kid (and even Duplo (sp?) before that (big ass blocks)), then when I was a little older, I got Lego Technic, which was with motors and remote control and all that fun stuff.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

deltagator

Thu May 11, 2006 11:33 am

As a kid? What about as a 32 year old? Yes, I still have some sitting around the house. I have a feeling that when the little lady and I have a kid I'll be playing with them more often. LEGOs rule!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

deltairlines

Thu May 11, 2006 1:17 pm

Heck yeah I had them! My first lego set was a cargo airplane when I was about 4 years old...back before I ever started flying a lot (at that point, I had taken maybe 7 flights in my life, all of which were either EWR-BTV, LGA-BTV or EWR-BOS)...I played with that plane for the longest time...I wonder if that kindled my lifelong passion for aviation...

Jeff

carmenlu15

Thu May 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Yup, I was always building all sorts of things.

My sisters (ages 10 and 5) got a 1800-piece box recently. They unpacked it and started to play, I sat down next to them, grabbed some Legos, and put them together with nothing definite in mind... then I kept adding more Legos here and there, until I got... an airplane. Big grin My little sister liked it so much, that she wanted me to build the whole airport! She even built the stairs to board the plane. I wonder where did she learn that...  Silly
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

LTU932

Thu May 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 17):

Damn, I wish I had that when I was a kid. That Lego website brings back memories. Big grin

Quoting KROC (Reply 20):
I had some. They were perfect to build things for my real toys like G.I. Joe's and Transformers to destroy!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

AirPacific747

Thu May 11, 2006 3:58 pm

yeah I had so much lego!! I had an electrical subway with two stations, a police station, pirate ships, a treasure island, and a lot of lego lol. I once built an 18 story high skyscraper, and an aircraft with a cargo area inside for lego vehicles. hehehe

did you guys also know that lego stands for LEg GOdt, which means "play well" in danish lol.

L410Turbolet

Thu May 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 14):
Dude only communists didn't have legos.

We actually did, but they were extremely hard to get. One had to get either really lucky (usually before Christmas) or know people.
I am glad to see LEGO is returning to its old glory after years of stagnation, when they were making stupid stuff like that disgusting Bionicle or Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.
I mean come on, the greatest thing about LEGO is that it leaves space for child's imagination and making a play set based on a movie completely ruins it.

BTW, it's great they make so many aviation-oriented sets:

Quoting KROC (Reply 20):
real toys like G.I. Joe's and Transformers

Real toys? Oh, I am so glad we're spared of such tasteless sh*t over here.

DAL767400ER

Thu May 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Heck yes, and still have them, probably 10 boxes full of Lego Big grin . Although over the years, there's no probably also ten boxes full of dust and spiderwebs over them. And just the good old-school stuff, not the Harry-Potter-Lego and Star-Wars-Lego bull.
And I'd always recommend a visit to your closest Legoland, as each has a nice large airport, e.g. the German one with its small version of MUC, which now also houses the A380.

Banco

Thu May 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Of course you only build the kit by the instructions once

So true.

I loved Lego. The amount of stuff I'd build with it was just endless. Then there were Sticklebricks as well, which I think were an ever older, rather cruder version of the same idea.

Do kids still play with Lego to the same extent? All the educationalists always thought it was incredibly valuable for children to use it. Or are they all on their Play Stations non-stop instead?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

LTU932

Thu May 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 29):
And I'd always recommend a visit to your closest Legoland, as each has a nice large airport, e.g. the German one with its small version of MUC, which now also houses the A380.

Where is the closest Legoland in Germany? You got me curious, because perhaps one day I'll just swing by for a look, catch a bit up on old times. Big grin Maybe I'll even visit the one in Denmark (if they have one over there), so I can finally make a real visit to Denmark (last time I went, we crossed the border through the A7 near Flensburg but then turned around and went back to Germany after just 15 minutes in the country, don't ask me why though).

DAL767400ER

Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Depends on where in Germany you live. For me here in Hamburg, Billund in Denmark is the closest, but at the same time, their BLL airport is diminuative compared to MUC in Legoland. The latter is located somewhere on the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich, IIRC, in G�nzburg. Not to sure though, better check legoland.de for exact info. Oh yeah, and they have the Allianz Arena there as well Big grin .

cornish

Thu May 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Lego was fantastic stuff. I used to build all sorts of stuff with it - totally to my own spec and ignoring the instructions.

A mate of ours was actually involved in building Legoland in Windsor - actually building all the lego bits and pieces - how cool a job was that ??  Smile

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
Do kids still play with Lego to the same extent? All the educationalists always thought it was incredibly valuable for children to use it. Or are they all on their Play Stations non-stop instead?

Doubt it, unless its Harry Potter or Spiderman themed lego or whatver - bizarrely they now have lego computer and playstation games instead - how bizarre is that.

Then there were Sticklebricks as well, which I think were an ever older, rather cruder version of the same idea.

Kirkie still uses that stuff. Apparently he was really proud of the tower he built the other day (inspired by his trip to Blackpool) - before he got pissed and angry and knocked it down because his mate built a taller one Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Banco

Thu May 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 33):
before he got pissed and angry and knocked it down because his mate built a taller one

Oh, well done you... Big grin  duck 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bill142

Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Since I never had the airplane set, I always had build my own planes out of lego.

AR385

Thu May 11, 2006 6:13 pm

I had and stil had two big garbage bags filled with the lego's of different sets. I would built set after set, until I started drawing my own designs on squared paper (planes, of course) and built them. They evolved until I put slats and flaps on the wings. Entire afternoons went by with not a care in the world but the thing I was building.

My father, who suddenly passed away 1 year ago, was proud of every single piece of crap I built, taking it to his office and putting it on his desk until I told him I needed the thing back as I was building something else. He'd rather buy me more legos and keep my "spaceships" or "airplanes". He then stored them on a special part of one of the warehouses we had at the ranch.

Seven months ago I had to go to that room and take them apart, put the pieces in bags and leave as my mother, decided she did not want to keep the ranch.

Well, I still have the designs, though. Darn, I suddenly miss my father a lot. right now.

SmithAir747

Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 pm

Of course, I grew up with Lego (or its Playskool version, Brix Blox)!

When I was adopted at age 3 by my family, friends of our family held a "baby" shower for me. One gift was a set of Duplo bricks (which I still have today at home).

Growing up in a large family (9 siblings), our parents gave us, one Christmas (late 70s or early 80s), a huge canister of Playskool Brix Blox (the Playskool version of Lego). This was a huge set (over 1000 pieces, including clear pieces, wheels, tires, roof pieces, along with the more common bricks). Of all my family, I was the one who played with the Brix Blox the most! I am known for my very fertile imagination, and I used to build all kinds of things with the Brix Blox--models of hospitals I frequented as a child, airplanes (of course!), RVs, even a "space camper"--an RV modified with winglike solar panels for orbital "camping" vacations!

BTW, our house (an old funeral parlor) had a dedicated playroom for our toys.

We combined all the Brix Blox, Duplo, Lego, and other Lego-like sets we got over the years into ONE large plastic container. I still have that large container at home in our former playroom. Sometimes, when at home (which is very rare now that I live in London, England), I still put something together!

I know I'm old now--because the Lego sets I see now are those silly, unimaginative Star Wars and other movie-based sets--quite different from those I grew up with!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

LTU932

Thu May 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 32):
Depends on where in Germany you live. For me here in Hamburg, Billund in Denmark is the closest, but at the same time, their BLL airport is diminuative compared to MUC in Legoland.

Oh well, I could drive up to BLL (once I have my licence). Big grin

Oh yeah, and they have the Allianz Arena there as well

Sounds neat. If they have the Allianz Arena without any FCB players, even better. Big grin

Not to sure though, better check legoland.de for exact info.

I'll check it out sometime, although I won't be back in Germany anytime soon.  Sad

DAL767400ER

Thu May 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 37):
I know I'm old now--because the Lego sets I see now are those silly, unimaginative Star Wars and other movie-based sets--quite different from those I grew up with!

I know what you mean, today's Lego is just not the same as it used to be, way too much mainstream-oriented these days.

AirPacific747

Thu May 11, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 35):
Since I never had the airplane set, I always had build my own planes out of lego.

same here!

DAL767400ER

Thu May 11, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 38):
Sounds neat. If they have the Allianz Arena without any FCB players, even better.

I believe they have neutral players  Wink .

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 38):
I'll check it out sometime, although I won't be back in Germany anytime soon.

Be glad! Wish I could get the hell out of this country asap, but that's another topic  Wink .

mhodgson

Thu May 11, 2006 6:36 pm

Yep - I had a load of different sets, and once I'd built most of them I destroyed them and mixed all the bits up - made some interesting contraptions as a result! Loved the stuff Big grin
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

cornish

Thu May 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 42):
Yep - I had a load of different sets, and once I'd built most of them I destroyed them and mixed all the bits up - made some interesting contraptions as a result! Loved the stuff

Absolutely - far better to completely ignore their recommendations and go your own way to create some Picasso like interpretations of everyday things Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

David L

Thu May 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Tons of it! But that was mostly before themed "kits" came along. Bricks with removable wheels and windows were about as specialised as any pieces got. I did get a train complete with track towards the end of my Lego career though. When it reached the end of the track a trackside post flipped a switch on the loco and back it went.

Quoting Legalkiwi (Reply 21):
ie you would have "a peice of lego" rather than "a lego", and "some lego" rather than "some legos".

Correct, as far as I'm concerned.

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 18):
anyone remember Tinker Toys

The name rings a bell but it may just be from adverts I saw after I lost interest in such things.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 33):

Doubt it, unless its Harry Potter or Spiderman themed lego or whatver

On the one hand the themed kits keep the sales up but on the other hand you get a lot of pieces in them that are too specialised to be used when building "freestyle", as someone put it above.

I don't feel inclined to go out and buy some but if I still had some I'm sure I'd muck about with it from time to time.  Smile

aloges

Thu May 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 39):
Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 37):

I know what you mean, today's Lego is just not the same as it used to be, way too much mainstream-oriented these days.

Ditto. These days, you can hardly find any nubs at all on the parts. And the parts are so specialised you can't use the same ones for building a family home and a fighter jet.  grumpy 

So yes, of course I had loads of Lego bricks, tiles, roads, antennae (which of course doubled as missiles) and people. I built houses out of them, complete with illumination, submarines, airplanes, cars and whatever else a child can imagine.

And then there was Lego Technic! I had always envied my friends who were showing off their RC cars, but then I got a Lego Technic set for one... SWEET! And it could also be changed into a V-22 impersonator! OK, so the battery was in the remote control and you had cables running from the control to the car, but who cares... the tiny motor the car used later powered the "radar" on my aircraft carriers, which consisted mostly of those road plates, a big hangar, a control room and a few aircraft, all of them my own creations. I think the stealth fighter I forgot to disassemble when my Lego stuff went to the attic still sits under my shelf at home, accumulating dust.

Lastly, this was my dream for quite a long time... never got it, though.  cloudnine 

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/8480.jpg
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

cornish

Thu May 11, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 45):
Lastly, this was my dream for quite a long time... never got it, though.

Cool - a Moonraker Lego Set  Wink

levent

Thu May 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Yep. Had lots of the stuff.
I had a complete city with fire station, police station, gas station, hospital, and also a train set with a train station, and a cargo center. And, last but not least, an airport!
Also had some Lego Technic, including the yellow airplane, the red sports car and the forklift truck.
I sold everything when I was 16 or so and paid a complete trip to London with the money. I won't have any kids to play with it anyway.

ba757

Thu May 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Hell yes. I must have thousands of pounds worth of the stuff in our attic back in England. I used to build things out of it constantly, and like I suspect most people on here, I used to love building aircraft & airports.

All guys should play with Lego, its what makes you a man.

Anyone care to admit they were in the official 'Lego Club'? I know I was  Smile

Adam

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 9:08 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 48):
Anyone care to admit they were in the official 'Lego Club'? I know I was

me