TACAA320
Topic Author

Christian Foes Of 'Da Vinci Code' Debate How To Fi

Thu May 11, 2006 8:49 pm

.... Christian Foes of 'Da Vinci Code' Debate How to Fight It

" Many Christian leaders across the country are girding themselves for battle with "The Da Vinci Code," the movie based on the blockbuster novel by Dan Brown that opens on May 19. Whether Roman Catholic or Protestant, Orthodox or evangelical, they agree that the book attacks the pillars of Christianity by raising doubts about the divinity of Jesus and the origins of the Bible.... "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/us...ci.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

aloges

RE: Christian Foes Of 'Da Vinci Code' Debate How T

Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Thread starter):
Orthodox or evangelical, they agree that the book attacks the pillars of Christianity by raising doubts about the divinity of Jesus and the origins of the Bible.

Lol... yet the same Christian leaders would probably not hesitate to insult the Prophet of Islam by calling him a "camel ******" or other good, "conservative" nicknames. It all seems like a bunch of kids arguing in their kindergarten...

"My God kicks your God's ass!"
"No, my God kicks your God's ass twice!"
"HA! MY God kicks YOUR God's ass infinitely!"
"And MY God kicks YOUR God's ass to infinity plus one!"

Can't people just believe in whatever they want to believe in and let others do the same?!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TACAA320
Topic Author

RE: Christian Foes Of 'Da Vinci Code' Debate How To Fi

Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 pm

" Famed symbologist Professor Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) is called to the Louvre museum one night where a curator has been murdered, leaving behind a mysterious trail of symbols and clues. With his own survival at stake, Langdon, aided by the police cryptologist Sophie Neveu (Audrey Tautou), unveils a series of stunning secrets hidden in the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, all leading to a covert society dedicated to guarding an ancient secret that has remained hidden for 2000 years.... "

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

scbriml

Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Any film with Audrey Tautou in is worth watching.

As to the Da Vinci Code itself, some people need to remember it's found in the bookshops filed under FICTION.  banghead 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
some people need to remember it's found in the bookshops filed under FICTION.

Because it is FICTION !

AR385

Thu May 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Thread starter):
" Many Christian leaders across the country are girding themselves for battle with "The Da Vinci Code," the movie based on the blockbuster novel by Dan Brown that opens on May 19.

Hi TACAA320, long time no see,

Here in Monterrey, the Opus Dei is particularly powerful. They are planning boycotts of malls that have multiplexes if they show the movie. They are also planning human chains around entrances to cinema's and I have received calls from a few friends belonging to the Opus Dei and the Christian Legionnaires warning me that I should not go see the movie, because it was "dangerous".

I'm glad we had Benito Juarez in the 19th century

Whatever anybody's faith, I believe freedom of expression should raise above it, and in any case, the book and the movie are works of fiction.

Some of these people are the same ones who were wondering about why part of the muslim world was shocked with the cartoons published in Western Europe.

"God save us from those who believe they are doing God's work"

"Salvame, oh Señor de aquellos que creen que continuan tu obra"

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):

Hi TACAA320, long time no see,

Nice to hear from you again !

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
They are also planning human chains around entrances to cinema's and I have received calls from a few friends belonging to the Opus Dei and the Christian Legionnaires warning me that I should not go see the movie, because it was "dangerous".

As Christian Catholic, and after a long conversation with the priest of my Parrish, I decided to see the "movie". If I want to criticize it, I must attend the theater first.

At least I hope that the money that I will spend really worth it [ but I really don't hope that much ].

AirCop

Thu May 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 4):

Because it is FICTION !

I'm one who is sick and tired of Christian leaders who feel that they are being persecuted, whenever a movie or book comes out that is not in accordance with their beliefs.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
Some of these people are the same ones who were wondering about why part of the muslim world was shocked with the cartoons published in Western Europe.

checkmark  Hypocrites!

cornish

Thu May 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):
I'm one who is sick and tired of Christian leaders who feel that they are being persecuted, whenever a movie or book comes out that is not in accordance with their beliefs.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

A332

Thu May 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Because it is FICTION !

So is the Bible... what the hell is your point?
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

nkops

Thu May 11, 2006 10:27 pm

For me it is simple.....

I am a Christian and don't agree with the book or movie, so guess what, I'm not going to see it.... that's it..... if you want to see it, be my guest, just don't talk to me about it.

And while the characters are fictional in the book... the ideas (Jesus being married to Mary Magdalene, had kids, etc) have been around for centuries and I believe Mr. Brown references that in the beginning of the book.
:evil:

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 9):
what the hell is your point?

Do you really believe in "hell"?
By the way, what's yours?

[Edited 2006-05-11 15:39:05]

TedTAce

Thu May 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):

Can't people just believe in whatever they want to believe in and let others do the same?!

NO!!! You must believe what I believe:
http://www.venganza.org/

Because it is FICTION !

Based on a POSSIBLE fact  Wink

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 6):
As Christian Catholic, and after a long conversation with the priest of my Parrish, I decided to see the "movie". If I want to criticize it, I must attend the theater first.

Good for you  Smile I wish more people would come to understand first hand what it is they are critical of in the first place. People who make judgments about things they haven't experienced are simply one thing: prejudiced. I have no time for such people in my life.
This space intentionally left blank

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 12):
Based on a POSSIBLE fact

Just "POSSIBLE" as anything else in life...

[Edited 2006-05-11 15:42:50]

nkops

Thu May 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 11):
Do you really believe in "hell"?

Yes... I go there 5 days a week for a paycheck.  Big grin

For us in the U.S., if you want to see the movie, go ahead, if you don't then don't.... that's what we call freedom!!!!!!

I choose not too, but don't really care if anyone else does!!!

twocents 

YeahitsK

Thu May 11, 2006 10:50 pm

I heard that they were trying to get a disclaimer run at the beginning of the movie to point out that it was fiction. IMO, this is rather insulting to the intelligence of the audience. It's just a story we are all aware of that. If anything, the book made me more interested in art and religion.
Let's play some Pitch...

TedTAce

Thu May 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 15):
IMO, this is rather insulting to the intelligence of the audience

Maybe they know how ignorant their followers are?  duck 

md80fanatic

Thu May 11, 2006 11:32 pm

I haven't seen the movie or read the book (most likely never will also). I do, however, have an opinion about the idea of Jesus having a child. It seems pretty illogical to me, that the Man would choose to leave His child behind to go to the cross. Children were (and still are) the most important people on the planet...there is no need to list the numerous passages where His opinions on children were forcefully stated as they are well known to all.

I believe if there were a child, the crucifixion would have never happened. Jesus would have obviously known the danger His child would be in once He was gone, and that is absolute evidence (to me at least) that He did not have one. Jesus was not (is not) inconsistant and illogical.

TedTAce

Thu May 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Md80fanatic (Reply 17):
Jesus would have obviously known the danger His child would be in once He was gone

If it happened...Wouldn't the fear of re-precussion be the very reason for keeping the fact he had a child a secret? While I don't give a flying... about what some MAN did 2000 odd years ago....that seems VERY logical to me.

maury

Thu May 11, 2006 11:46 pm

Fighting a movie...working to put a "fiction!!" disclaimer in a movie...getting their ruby slippers in an uproar...all sound like a good use of time for these zealots. Maybe it'll keep them occupied enough to let us reclaim some of our government...(see: McClain courts Falwell in bid for US Presidency, multiple sources.)

corocks

Thu May 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
Here in Monterrey, the Opus Dei is particularly powerful. They are planning boycotts of malls that have multiplexes if they show the movie. They are also planning human chains around entrances to cinema's and I have received calls from a few friends belonging to the Opus Dei and the Christian Legionnaires warning me that I should not go see the movie, because it was "dangerous".

By doing all of that, aren't they kind of playing into their characterization in the book? I read it right when it came out, but if I recall the Opus Dei were the ones pushing so hard that they would do anything to cover it up. Looks like they are doing the same thing now.

TedTAce

Thu May 11, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Maury (Reply 19):
McClain

Did you mean:

Or

MKEdude

Thu May 11, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 6):

Good for you, really. There are far to many people who decide to decide to lob hate on something simply because somebody has told them to. Whatever your oninion will be at least it will be an informed one.

NO!!! You must believe what I believe:
http://www.venganza.org/

I too have been touched by his noodly appendage  pray 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

maury

Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 am

Ted:

Whichever one the straw-grasping Reeps choose to run, although I can't see Bruce Willis sitting down for a lemonade with Falwell.  Smile

AR385

Fri May 12, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 15):
I heard that they were trying to get a disclaimer run at the beginning of the movie to point out that it was fiction.

Yes. The Opus Dei, with the support fron the Vatican asked Ron Howard sometime last year to add the disclaimer. He refused. They asked him again just last week, less sublty. He replied also less subtly that a movie is a work of fiction, and as such it did not need a disclaimer anymore than Independence Day did.

As for myself. I read the book when it came out. I will only say that I believe the movie will not be so good, because creating a script from that book is just very difficult and must have been titanical work. But the book was a work of fiction, no more better in my opinion than a good novel-thriller. A bit convoluted, to my taste.

md80fanatic

Fri May 12, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 18):
Jesus would have obviously known the danger His child would be in once He was gone

If it happened...Wouldn't the fear of re-precussion be the very reason for keeping the fact he had a child a secret? While I don't give a flying... about what some MAN did 2000 odd years ago....that seems VERY logical to me.

Well Ted, I doubt LYING about a child's existence would be a very logical thing to do from Jesus' perspective (that's the kind of stuff WE do, not Him)

TedTAce

Fri May 12, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 25):
Jesus' perspective (that's the kind of stuff WE do, not Him)

Oh I forgot; he's beyond reproach  Yeah sure

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 1:02 am

I haven't seen the movie

As long as I know nobody do it yet since the worldwide premier will be [if I am correct] on May 19th, 2006.

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 14):
Yes... I go there 5 days a week for a paycheck.

Is as "hot" as people usually say, or just "warm" ?  Wink

CastleIsland

Fri May 12, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
They are also planning human chains around entrances to cinema's

Time to fire up the old chainsaw I guess.

Freaking idiots. Go suck on some bread and cheap wine.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

md80fanatic

Fri May 12, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 25):
Jesus' perspective (that's the kind of stuff WE do, not Him)

Oh I forgot; he's beyond reproach

I agree entirely (except for the rolleyes). He was completely a man (a real man) and completely perfect...quite the opposite of what we see today.

Since this whole DVCode concept is so utterly inconsistant, and thus confusing as a whole....it is clear who the original "author" ultimately is. More serpentine trickery....with a modern high-tech twist.

YeahitsK

Fri May 12, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 30):
He was completely a man (a real man) and completely perfect...quite the opposite of what we see today.

Nobody would question that Jesus was a real person, but how do you really know that he was completely perfect?
Let's play some Pitch...

TedTAce

Fri May 12, 2006 1:43 am

More serpentine trickery

Do you mean:

SATAN!!!

JBirdAV8r

Fri May 12, 2006 2:05 am

Based on a POSSIBLE fact

Not really. The book focuses on some ideas presented by the self-worshipping crock Pierre Plantard and found years ago to be complete fabrications.

I was rather disappointed with its less-than-airtight "explanations" and "theories." I wasn't that impressed with the book; I think it's gotten more of its draw from its shock value rather than its technical aspects. To me, it was about as enjoyable of a piece of fiction as, say, a Target check-out line romance novel.

I don't think the majority of Christians feel "persecuted" by readers of the book. Most just hope that religious skeptics don't go into the movie and take everything in it as fact. A good deal have read it themselves. But, then again, I only associate with the sane, non-fundie type of Christian...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

md80fanatic

Fri May 12, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 31):
He was completely a man (a real man) and completely perfect...quite the opposite of what we see today.

Nobody would question that Jesus was a real person, but how do you really know that he was completely perfect?

I cannot tell you that, it is personal and private. Let's just say I have faith. I really wish I could prove it to you....but then my faith would no longer be required.

On the opposite side of the coin, do you happen to have any reason to think that He was not completely perfect? No need to answer this one....only if you really want to. I understand if it is also personal and private.

scbriml

Fri May 12, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 10):
just don't talk to me about it

Is your faith that fragile that you're not even prepared to discuss possible alternatives that don't match your beliefs?

nkops

Fri May 12, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 28):
Is as "hot" as people usually say, or just "warm" ?

it's hot, but a dry heat!!!!  flamed 

but how do you really know that he was completely perfect?

You either accept it by faith or you don't.... end of story!!!

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 36):
it's hot, but a dry heat!!!!

That's great. Can't stop laughing...

lh477

Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 am

Many people do question if Jesus was real. I do. I am not Christian nor Muslim, nor Jewish. In my religion Jesus isn't in the scope of belief. Neither Moses, Abraham, or Mohammad.
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

YeahitsK

Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 34):
On the opposite side of the coin, do you happen to have any reason to think that He was not completely perfect?

Because he was a person and no person is perfect. Nothing personal or private about it. I have no doubts he was an exemplary person, but perfect is another thing.
Let's play some Pitch...

md80fanatic

Fri May 12, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Yeahitsk (Reply 39):
Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 34):
On the opposite side of the coin, do you happen to have any reason to think that He was not completely perfect?

Because he was a person and no person is perfect. Nothing personal or private about it. I have no doubts he was an exemplary person, but perfect is another thing.

Understood. I suppose it depends most on who (and what) one believes Jesus really was. If you believe He was -just- a man then of course you might question perfection. If you believe He was more than -just- a man....and truly was the Son of the Creator....then seeing Him as perfect is not such a stretch.

YeahitsK

Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 38):
Many people do question if Jesus was real. I do. I am not Christian nor Muslim, nor Jewish. In my religion Jesus isn't in the scope of belief. Neither Moses, Abraham, or Mohammad.

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but I'm pretty sure his existence as a person that walked the earth is known to be fact. I learned that on the TV, and being TV, it must be right. Kidding on that last part, but I've heard this on several shows on the History channel discussing the history of Christianity, or other programs regarding the shroud of Turin. The question is whether or not you choose to assign divinity to the person. Sounds like you have your reasons not to, but that's really none of our business.
Let's play some Pitch...

RobTrent

Fri May 12, 2006 5:12 am

As Stated earlier this Film is based on a work of fiction.
Faith is a very different and personal matter.

R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

ctbarnes

Fri May 12, 2006 5:14 am

There's very little doubt among scholars that Jesus was a real person; there are historical accounts about his death which do exist. The real question becomes about what happens after and what you believe about the resurrection. We don't have any hard evidence in the same vein, only testimonies and inferrals about the behavior of his followers. That part must be taken on faith.

As for the topic at hand, I think a quote by Oscar Wilde applies here:

"The British public cares nothing about a work of art unless it is labelled 'obscene.'

Translation: Controvercy sells.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

nkops

Fri May 12, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 35):
Is your faith that fragile that you're not even prepared to discuss possible alternatives that don't match your beliefs?

Let me restate this for you.... I do not wish to hear about this movie because it is supposedly "fiction" that goes against my beliefs. To me, this is not an alternative to my faith, it is a slap in the face to my faith. I don't think it is necessary for you to question my faith since you don't know me.

This is the kind of reaction when the movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" came out about 10 years back. If people who want to picket or boycott, it's a free country... let them, as long as it is done in a non-violent way!!

TedTAce

Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 44):
I do not wish to hear about this movie because it is supposedly "fiction" that goes against my beliefs.

Then why do you keep reading/posting to this thread  Yeah sure

scbriml

Fri May 12, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 44):
I do not wish to hear about this movie because it is supposedly "fiction" that goes against my beliefs.

I'm not mocking you or your beliefs, but I do find your choice of words most intruiging. Does the fact that you refer to the film as supposedly fiction indicate that you're concerned it may not be?

md80fanatic

Fri May 12, 2006 7:41 am

I think it indicates that he is not sure of what the movie/book's contents are and would prefer to reserve a definate comment on them. Since he has no plans to see/read either....the word supposed is appropriate.

You really should quit trying to bait the man.....if you allow him his beliefs then he will allow you yours. He has every right to read/post here as it is his God (and mine) who is the subject of this controversy. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Take the "High road" as is suggested in the posting rules of this forum.

nkops

Fri May 12, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 45):
Then why do you keep reading/posting to this thread

The original post of the thread was the reaction of the Christian community to the movie. I was just interested to see what it was, I didn't want to get into a movie conversation.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 46):
Does the fact that you refer to the film as supposedly fiction indicate that you're concerned it may not be?

Alot of people believe alot of what is said is not fiction, thats why I said supposedly fiction. While we know the characters are false, there are alot of people who believe the book itself is based on factual evidence.

And thank you fanatic.....

[Edited 2006-05-12 01:21:35]

andessmf

Fri May 12, 2006 10:10 am

Um, Allah and God are the same person. Jesus is considered a prophet in the same vein as Mohamed. As to the book, it is fiction, but well written fiction, much like Jurassic Park.

As for those who criticize Christians, I hope you also criticized the Muslim reaction to the cartoons, otherwise I shall label you a hypocrite.

Lets also remember 'Freedom of Speech'. Dont take it away from anyone, lest one day you'll be the 'wronged' party.