S12PPL
Topic Author

Ever Destroyed A Cell Phone On Accident?

Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 am

Well, it has taken me 9 years, but I finally destroyed my first cell phone. I've always taken extra careful care of my phones, but last Thursday I had a slip up. As I was getting ready to head up to go to bed, I started trying to remember where I put my cell. I figured I might have left it upstairs, and went into the laundry room to put my close in the drier. As I was doing so, I noticed my divers license sitting on the bottom of the washer, which I wasn't worried about. They make them stand up to just about anything these days. But, as I removed some more, I noticed my cell, face down, at the bottom of the washer. It was almost fitting that it would be face down.

I let it dry out over night, and the next morning it would turn on, but half the buttons wouldn't work. I couldn't dial numbers, etc. So, with a $225 credit from sprint, I got a new phone. It came in the mail yesterday.

This is my new phone. The Sanyo MM-8300. I like it so far mostly. It's a little small, and the buttons are pretty tiny. But, the web browser on it is faster than my old phone, it feels.

So, who else has destroyed a cell phone? Any creative ways? It's Friday, so we need a stupid thread.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

A332

RE: Ever Destroyed A Cell Phone On Accident?

Sat May 13, 2006 2:21 am

Yup... dropped it from a fifth floor balcony... you can figure out the rest!

Oh... if anyone wants to get some glue and complete a real puzzle, give me a shout and I can hook you up!  Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

carmenlu15

Sat May 13, 2006 2:23 am

I dropped and broke part of the LCD screen of the Nokia 5170 I owned, back in the days when everyone (and I mean everyone) had one of those. It was still functioning after that, though. The funny thing is, since it was only a corner of the screen, I could still see who was calling; what really pi$$ed me off was not being able to play Snake.  Silly
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Scrappy74

Sat May 13, 2006 2:39 am

Haven't destroyed a phone yet (knock on wood), but came damn close when I spilled an entire bottle of Heineken in my purse (it sounds stupid but I didn't quite have all of my motor skills with me at that point). It wrecked my digital camera and my money smelled like beer for days...

Kind of hard to get mad about something like that happening once you realize you're an idiot...since then I've been VERY careful not to bring electronics out with me when going to a bar/party haha  banghead 
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

Tom in NO

Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am

accidently, no.....on purpose, that's another story  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

lentigomaligna

Sat May 13, 2006 2:54 am

I'm fairly sure I destroyed a cell phone by placing it outside of the window in the rain (this is SEA) but that was the only way I could get reception, and even there it's iffy. Damn you Verizon.

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat May 13, 2006 2:54 am

Well, my phone was getting kinda old, but it didn't work anymore after my once flip phone now was two separate pieces.

Note: Don't sit on an open flip phone...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MKEdude

Sat May 13, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting S12PPL (Thread starter):

I did the exact same thing once. I came down to the basement and found my cell phone at the bottom of the washer. A horrible moment. I pulled it up and started doing some form of cell phone CPR...nada. I wen't to the Cingular place knowing there was nothing they could do for me, and since I didn't have the insurance I was out $200 for a new phone.

Even more I lost all my phone numbers, I was not fully up and running again for a month.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

N766UA

Sat May 13, 2006 3:52 am

My POS Samsung I used to have froze up for no apparent reason on me last year. Bad timing, too, because it did it while I was on the way to a firing range. We shot it off on a clay pigeon trap and I Cheyney'd it with a 12 gauge before taking it over and finishing it off with a .45 from about 5 feet away. Made for an interesting story when I went to buy a new phone with nothing but the sim card.
This Website Censors Me

sean377

Sat May 13, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 4):
accidently, no.....on purpose, that's another story

Ahem...

I got a little mad with mine recently and thought I'd teach it who was boss. A few seconds in the microwave will teach you a lesson!

5... 4... 3... FLASH!!!

The phone has never worked since. Guess I tought it a lesson. Sim card fried, battery fried, god only knows what the inside of the phone looks like, but if the smell is anything to go by...

Using an old 5100 until I'm due for renewal next month.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

bhmbaglock

Sat May 13, 2006 9:01 am

It's amazing the damage a 4 ton forklift will do to even a ruggedized Nextel. It actually still worked but it's kind of difficult to use when it's in several loosely connected pieces.
Where are all of my respected members going?

corey07850

Sat May 13, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 4):
accidently, no.....on purpose, that's another story wink

After dealing with the original version of the Motorola V60 for a good year and a half I had had enough. If anyone is famliar with the phone, it had an issue with the construction of the antenna so it would snap off after a short time normal use. The reception was poor, and the service sucked...

As soon as I bought a new phone I took the V60 outside and obliterated it with a hammer... It got a lot of anger out  Wink

jap

Sat May 13, 2006 9:17 am

I accidentally played football/soccer with my old Nokia 3220  rotfl  I kinda dropped it out of my pocket while I was walking, it hit my foot, and thus, I kicked it while it was still in the air (accidentally)... it bounced once and then slid 5 meters down the sidewalk  crazy 

The plastic had cracked multiple places, the rubber thingys on the side was well scratched and I couldn't switch it on again... :-P

Just recently got a Motorola V3 Pink... absolutely adore it!  hearts 
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

lewis

Sat May 13, 2006 9:17 am

I've destroyed numerous mobile phones over the years, mostly by going in the water (pools/sea) forgetting that I have the phone in my pocket.

ThereandBack

Sat May 13, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 5):
I'm fairly sure I destroyed a cell phone by placing it outside of the window in the rain (this is SEA) but that was the only way I could get reception, and even there it's iffy. Damn you Verizon.

I hear a lot of people in WA have Verizon is that true?

MD-90

Sat May 13, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 8):
Bad timing, too, because it did it while I was on the way to a firing range. We shot it off on a clay pigeon trap and I Cheyney'd it with a 12 gauge before taking it over and finishing it off with a .45 from about 5 feet away.

Sweet. It's a lot better than me washing mine in the pocket of my jeans in the washing machine. $130 for a new phone off of Ebay.

VonRichtofen

Sat May 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Accidentally dropped it while using an FMC loader on an A330. Baggage can ran over it. It was a Nokia 6230. What pisses me off is even though the phone was a couple years old, it was still light years ahead of anything sold in North America (why we're so far behind is beyond me, I guess simple phones for simple minds hehe). Right now I'm using some piece of shit Nokia flip phone that doesn't even have blue tooth or a memory card  irked 

Kris
YYC

ME AVN FAN

Sat May 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Razing foam does not exactly help a mobile-phone either. It gets ruined . sigh}
-
The only lucky thing was that it happened to the older of two, but bad nevertheless.

Doona

Sat May 13, 2006 7:53 pm

Yes, but not my own  devil 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

ME AVN FAN

Sat May 13, 2006 8:07 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 18):
Yes, but not my own

THAT's the sort of friends everybody likes !  smile 

FlyKev
Crew

Sat May 13, 2006 8:09 pm

Dr Pepper + Sharp GX15 do not mix.
A large spillage, not by me and its no longer working from key 5 downwards.

Still it was an excuse to switch to contract and get a Sony Erricsson K750i, which I can assure you will stay FAR away from Dr Pepper.

kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

ilikeyyc

Sat May 13, 2006 8:09 pm

I destroyed a cell phone by smashing it in the tail gate of my Blazer. I was loading stuff and I needed two hands, so I put the phone on the tail gate, loaded the box and then attempted to close the tail gate. The phone slid down and was crushed between the body and the tail gate. At first I didn't know why the tail gate wouldn't close, so after three attempts at slamming it shut, I saw what was left of the phone. It was only 2 months old. Thankfully the people at Verizon sold me a refurbished phone that worked well for another year and a half.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

senorcarnival

Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 pm

I've destroyed a couple on purpose. What can I say? Sprint enraged me. The only one that wasn't in anger was before my best friend went to Okinawa for his last year in the Marines. We hacksawed his phone to pieces (the battery smell kinda made us dizzy for a second) then drove around town with the charger hanging out of the trunk by its cord while everyone at traffic lights pointed out the bloody obvious: "You have something hanging out of your trunk!" Good times.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

aloges

Sat May 13, 2006 8:40 pm

If four years and a couple months of wear count as "destroying", then yes I have. Good old Nokia 6210... the phone itself still works fine, but half the keys need more than two well-places punches to work.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BradWray

Sat May 13, 2006 8:41 pm

I was sat comfortably on my chair with a glass of flavoured water resting between my leg and the side of the chair and after sending a text message I went to place my phone on the arm of the chair but it slid down and landed in the water. I got it out, got the hair dryer on it but it was dead.

Thanks, Bradley!
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

Nordair

Sat May 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 24):
after sending a text message

Is anyone willing to guess to whom the text message was sent?  Big grin
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

concord977

Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 pm

As soon as DCA re-opened after 9/11, I was there and had missed a flight to DFW. I was standing on the upper level by the balcony railing that overlooks the main hallway. My cell phone was in a slot on the side of my briefcase. It took some force to pull it out. When I did so it flew out of my hand, over the railing and onto the floor one level down (about 30 feet). The phone broke into a hundred bits and the battery sparked when it cracked open.

It didn't hit anyone, but it caused people to scatter and a couple of women yelled. I guess we were a bit uptight in DC at the time! The TSA people had a nice little chat with me as I cleaned up the mess.
No info

ManuCH
Crew

Sat May 13, 2006 11:03 pm

I forgot one of my Nokias in the pocket of my pants when washing them... it would switch on afterwards, but the display backlight wouldn't work and buttons acted randomly. Therefore it went to the garbage...

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Sabena332

Sat May 13, 2006 11:06 pm

Of course, I am an expert when it comes to destroying electronics. I killed two of my cell phones, my boyfriend's notebook and recently also my iPod.

Signed,

Sabena332's girlfriend
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

SlamClick

Sat May 13, 2006 11:31 pm

Our puppy chewed my cell phone. It didn't do any real damage but there are little tooth-dents all over it. Obsolescence will destroy it though.

"Sorry I missed the appointment. The dog ate my cell phone."
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Curtisman

Sat May 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 26):
It didn't hit anyone, but it caused people to scatter and a couple of women yelled.

Talk about timing!

Smile
Citizen of the World

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2006 12:37 am

Boy, some creative deaths for cell phones! Thanks for all of the responses! I now know even more ways to be careful with my phone!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Continental

Sun May 14, 2006 1:38 am

I had my brand new cell phone in my pocket when I went canoeing last year. About an hour into the river trip we accidently flipped the canoe! I was a little mad as I've had the cell phone for only a few days. I brought it back to Cingular and of course there's nothing they can do, so I went to this small phone store in a strip mall for help. The guy completely took it apart, dried it, and it works PERFECT, just like before for only $15.

bhmbaglock

Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 28):
Of course, I am an expert when it comes to destroying electronics. I killed two of my cell phones, my boyfriend's notebook and recently also my iPod.

Until I saw the signed by line below I was scratching my head a bit on this one.
Where are all of my respected members going?

rolfen

Sun May 14, 2006 3:55 am

I lost my cell phone twice. Once in a cab, and once in some public place I think. Never got these back.

My old phone also took an underwater trip in the swimming pool. Not really an accident, that thing was water proof and i was showing off in front of friends. Turned out not be that perfectly waterproof and I had to send it to get repaired.

My cousin destroyed his phone by dropping it in the water closet while peeing, and onther friend dropped it under the water while washing her hands.

One of my friends once destroyed his by throwing it against the wall... he was pissed off and took it out on the cell phone.
rolf

canuckpaxguy

Sun May 14, 2006 4:24 am

I left my first cell phone on the roof of my Dad's car, and then drove away. I watched it shatter on the road in my rearview mirror.

As for headsets, I seem to go through those like kleenex.

G

yowza

Mon May 15, 2006 3:19 am

Siemens S25: dropped in a public toilet.
Nokia 32xx: ex-girlfriend dropped it out of a cable car in South Africa
Sony Ericsson T68i: accidentally ran over it with my car
Sony Ericsson T610: it simply committed suicide on me, does that count?

YOWza

jap

Mon May 15, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 33):
Until I saw the signed by line below I was scratching my head a bit on this one.

Which, funnily enough, is the entire IDEA of the signed by jokes... bravo  Silly
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon May 15, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 29):
Our puppy chewed my cell phone. It didn't do any real damage but there are little tooth-dents all over it.

Haha, my dog did the same to my wife's phone. Keys were a little tricky, but phone still worked (and still does, ready for the next time I break a phone and need an emergency replacement)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Speedbirdie

Mon May 15, 2006 11:41 pm

I threw my K750i at the bookshelf the other day in a fit of rage, then dropped it on the pavement..
So i went and bought myself a new one W810i mmmmmmmmmm
Never give up..

TheRedBaron

Tue May 16, 2006 7:18 am

I have had like 9 cell phones since 1990, I have only destroyed one..
Got pissed off because I got stranded in a secondary road, and the phone went dead.....I smashed it and jumped on it....total mayhem!!!

I walked like 2 hours to get somewhere and ask for help....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

AsstChiefMark

Tue May 16, 2006 7:35 am

I haven't wrecked any cell phones, but I have destroyed two ambulance pagers.

The first one dropped in the toilet when I was...you know.

The second one was dropped while operating a snowblower. I noticed it was gone when the auger crunched it and hurled it 25 feet.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Gilligan

Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting Lewis (Reply 13):
I've destroyed numerous mobile phones over the years, mostly by going in the water (pools/sea) forgetting that I have the phone in my pocket.

Yep, that's me.

I also destroyed a cell phone by being unaware that it had popped off my belt clip and letting it get run over by a bus.

I have a razor now and it gets the best reception of any phone I have ever had. I have cingular and would recommend it to anyone.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

YYZflyer

Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 am

Not destroyed it but I did crack the front screen while falling. I was walking home from school and the field was extremely icy. I was moving slowly but still managed to fall. Luckley my trumpet case took most of the impact or else my phone probably would have been crushed.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

iowaman

Fri May 19, 2006 9:53 am

I had my LG VX6000 while I was riding my bike and of course it fell out of my pocket and I didn't know it until later, so I went back and it had been ran over by a car.

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 42):
I have a razor now and it gets the best reception of any phone I have ever had. I have cingular and would recommend it to anyone.

checkmark 

aaden

Fri May 19, 2006 1:23 pm

I can't seem to keep one
i dropped one in the urinal at homecomeing stepped on a couple
left my last one at a park and it got ran over.
or the classic left it on the hood of the car

NWA742

Fri May 19, 2006 2:28 pm

No, not yet, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. I've dropped my Samsung A840 several times, it's a tough son of a gun.

My big brother, on the other hand, has been known to purposely destroy his cell phones. He's gone through 3 or 4 in the past few years.

First one - started having some small problem, he begins headbutting it, throwing it against walls, etc, and as you can imagine, it gets messed up even more. He ends it's life with a 12 gauge shotgun out at a shooting range.

Second one - replacement for first one, developed same problem, got tossed into Lake Travis. It's presumed dead.

Third one - all new phone, all new service. I don't know the story with it but apparently it's similar to #1.

And yes, he is indeed, a jackass.  Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs