satx

What Would You Do If You Found A Very Rare Bear?

Sun May 14, 2006 2:02 am

Why, you'd kill it of course, and then you'd consider using various funny sounding names for it. Of course thinking of a specific name would be rather pointless since you had just finished killing off the only known example in the wild.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4766217.stm
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

BMIFlyer

RE: What Would You Do If You Found A Very Rare Bear?

Sun May 14, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting SATX (Thread starter):
Why, you'd kill it of course

This is not illegal??  Confused

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 2:06 am

The only name for this hybrid is "trophy".

L-188

Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
This is not illegal??

It was a proper hunting season, he had the proper permits, and it wasn't confirmed as a distinct hybrid until they did the DNA testing, something that can't happen in the field.

Besides if Polar Bears and Grizzlies are making woopie in the tundra.....I think we will see more.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
This is not illegal??

Legal, yes. Ethical ? ..... well...... was it killed to provide food for someone? No. Was it a threat to anyone ? No. It was killed to provide a trophy for someone with a blank wall in his den.

bohica

Sun May 14, 2006 2:47 am

I can't bear to read this thread anymore.

Maybe I'll have to grin and bear it.  Big grin

NIKV69

Sun May 14, 2006 2:51 am

I love polar bears and the fact that any bear hunting is legal I think is terrible. It's all trophy hunting and not for food consumption.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ANCFlyer

Sun May 14, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
It's all trophy hunting and not for food consumption.

Incorrect.

It's all trophy hunting for the white man . . . native Alaskans and Canadians use every bit of that bear . . . and are the only people allowed to legally kill a polar bear.

I've eaten Bear, I don't care for it - tough stuff. Someone told me once I didn't get a good batch . . .

Unfortunately, this bear won't be around to watch so we can study how, perhaps, a Grizzly and a Polar bear made a baby Yogi . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
native Alaskans and Canadians

"American Big Game Hunter" says the article. I wonder if he was hungry or cold ?

NIKV69

Sun May 14, 2006 6:15 am

native Alaskans and Canadians use every bit of that bear .

What uses? Is this fur used for coats? I don't know what goes on up there and I am just curious. I just feel that the uses don't really seem like a necessity.

2H4

Sun May 14, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting SATX (Thread starter):
What Would You Do If You Found A Very Rare Bear?

Fly it, of course!

bigthumbsup 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

CastleIsland

Sun May 14, 2006 6:30 am

Unfortunately, this bear won't be around to watch so we can study how, perhaps, a Grizzly and a Polar bear made a baby Yogi

I believe the male sticks his penis into...well, you get it.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

NeilYYZ

Sun May 14, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

What uses? Is this fur used for coats? I don't know what goes on up there and I am just curious. I just feel that the uses don't really seem like a necessity.

The northern Canadians and Indians will use just about every bit of meat possible off of it. The fur is used for clothing as well. Just about the only part that goes unused is the liver I believe because it is too potent in Vitamin B or something along those lines.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
too potent in Vitamin B

It is fatal for a human to eat polar bear liver, highly concentrated in vitamin D. The bear, being highest on the food chain, accumulates all vitamin D consumed by everything on the lower links of the chain.

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 6:43 am

Or was it vitamin E ? Sorry, phone rang, lost the reference ....

ANCFlyer

Sun May 14, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
I don't know what goes on up there and I am just curious.

Obviously the hide is tanned . . . and the meat is eaten. The oil/fat is used as a lubricant, and is even eaten sometimes. Some meats are used to feed other animals.

It's interesting NIK, no matter what is killed here, almost every tidbit is used for something. Parts, like the stomach, are cleaned, and dried and used as bags to hold "things".

While the "white man" - or in this case - great "American Big Game Hunter" - tends to waste quite a bit of what we shoot, even on a legal hunt where the meat will be taken - the native Alaskan/Canadian wouldn't never consider it.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SlamClick

Sun May 14, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):

Ya beat me to it!

But if someone asks about "able cats" I'll have to dig up a much older picture of this airplane.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ilikeyyc

Sun May 14, 2006 8:14 am

I must be in need of a drink because when I opened this thread I swear it said "What would you do if you found a very rare BEER?" Why, you would drink it of course!

[Edited 2006-05-14 01:39:15]
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

cfcuq

Sun May 14, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 17):
in need of a dink

??? !!!!!!!!  Wow!

bushpilot

Sun May 14, 2006 8:22 am

I've eaten Bear, I don't care for it - tough stuff. Someone told me once I didn't get a good batch

I am not the biggest bear meat fan in the world, but black bear is alright, especially in sausage, but they can make any meat taste good in sausage.
My experience with brown bear has been a fall bear that was still gorging itself on salmon, but regardless if the guide and hunter are ethical at all the meat will be given to a local native village and consumed in some form or another.
Few things Ill point out and ask about...how big was it? It didnt say in the story. I also am presuming that it is being mislabeled as a part grizzly bear when it is more likely to be a brown bear. Grizzlies are generally smaller than a brown bear, not much, but smaller, they eat more smaller game animals, less fish etc. Whereas the brown bear which are more than plentiful in my neck of the woods are larger, often reaching over 9ft from nose to tail, eat fish predominatly in the summer. By this I mean they are gorging themselves on salmon all day long for 8weeks and eating nothing else.
Another thing Ill point out is that a white guy cant hunt polar bear in the US and Alaska included due to the marine mammal act. I am pretty sure there is a native subsistence hunt on the north slope in ANC country. He would be able to explain more. But in terms of trophy hunting for polar bears, illegal in AK. Got to head to Canada for that.

mrmeangenes

Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 am

In answer to your original question, a very rare bear should be returned to the grill for further cooking, as there is considerable risk of trichinosis,otherwise.

A little further (wholly unsolicited) advice: The liver of a Polar bear is so rich in vitamin A as to be toxic to humans.

And finally, for those who prefer their bears wild and unmolested, be advised Polar bears will stalk, kill, and eat humans, and are a bit of a nuisance in places like Churchill, Canada.

For an enlightening glimpse of Polar bear behavior, I suggest watching one of the demonstrations folks up there stage. A bear-resistant cage-(something like a shark cage) is set out with a human inside.

It's quite instructive to watch the bears approach the cage, and try every trick they can think of to get at the human inside.They are patient and methodical: so much so, it is sometimes neccessary to rescue the human from the half dozen bears who are giving it their best shot.  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
gene

Confuscius

Sun May 14, 2006 8:39 am

I'd drink it.
Ain't I a stinker?

ilikeyyc

Sun May 14, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting CFCUQ (Reply 18):
??? !!!!!!!!

My post has been edited. that misspelling should serve as further proof that I need a DRINK!! but no, I'm off to work for the night. reminds me of the time I sent a thankyou note to someone. I meant to say "Thank you for the shirt", but I typed "thank you for the shit." I didn't get the standard "you are welcome" response  Smile

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 21):
I'd drink it.

See, I'm not the only one  Wink
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Confuscius

Sun May 14, 2006 9:01 am

"See, I'm not the only one"

Hence, my username.  Wink
Ain't I a stinker?

NIKV69

Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Obviously the hide is tanned . . . and the meat is eaten. The oil/fat is used as a lubricant, and is even eaten sometimes. Some meats are used to feed other animals.

It's interesting NIK, no matter what is killed here, almost every tidbit is used for something. Parts, like the stomach, are cleaned, and dried and used as bags to hold "things".

While the "white man" - or in this case - great "American Big Game Hunter" - tends to waste quite a bit of what we shoot, even on a legal hunt where the meat will be taken - the native Alaskan/Canadian wouldn't never consider it.

Thanks Pep. Just curious as to the uses. What is legal and how long is the season? Is there a limit on how many?

atct

Sun May 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Cool. Id love to go grizzly/polar bear hunting someday!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

ANCFlyer

Sun May 14, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
What is legal and how long is the season? Is there a limit on how many?

Honestly, I don't know off the top of my head . . . regs are at work . . .

I do know that no . . . NO . . . white man can hunt a Polar Bear . . . period. And they were recently placed on the Watch List by the bunny huggers that sort of thing . . .

Natives, as far as I know, can hunt what they want, and when. But, I'm okay with that, in that they simply do not waste the animal . . . literally everything has a use . . .

Bushpilot has an interesting point . . .

DId I miss reading where this bear was taken? US, Canada? If in the US, there may be forthcoming charges . . . IMO that bear looks like a Polar Bear . . . If a white man shot the bear - a Non-Native Alaskan - someone's in trouble.

L-188

Sun May 14, 2006 12:39 pm

It was a Canadian Bear...

What is legal and how long is the season? Is there a limit on how many

There isn't one in the US since they are under the marine mammal protection act. There used to be hunts up here prior to the passage of the act (1974 I think) but since then only traditional use by natives.

The fact that there was a guide involved in this hunt in Canada tells me this wasn't a tradtional nunt.

Also at what point does it become a Brown Bear and what point does it coult as a polar bear.

bushpilot

Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 am

What is legal and how long is the season? Is there a limit on how many?

Just to help out in the area where I live on the west coast of AK

Where I live there is basically 2 season, but it is counted as one. It opens Sept.10 and closes may 15 IIRC. The bears are in hibernating from say 1st Nov to April 15 or so. Bag limit is one per year, you may not take a female if she has cubs, may not bait them, may not hunt within 1/2 mile of a dump/landfill. The hide must be harvested, but the meat can be left. Before anyone wants to raise a stink about that, keep in mind, because a human doesnt eat it, something else will. Often other bears, scavengers.
The fall time hunt provides for bigger fatter bears, they have been gorging themselves on salmon for several months. The spring bears would be better eating, though not much better. Bears are smaller in the spring because of the winter fast they have.

L-188

Mon May 15, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 28):
Where I live there is basically 2 season, but it is counted as one. It opens Sept.10 and closes may 15 IIRC. The bears are in hibernating from say 1st Nov to April 15 or so.

Pretty much the same setup that we had down at Cold Bay. A fall opening and a spring opening-every other year, with bag limits. And of course if you kill a brown bear, you can't go after one again for four years.

Never really had a desire to shoot a bear. The couple of grand that it would take to have the taxidermist to do a good job on the hide was a turn-off. That and I remember helping my dad skin his bear in a creek, in a fall aleutian drizzle and rain.

Sucked.

bushpilot

Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
And of course if you kill a brown bear, you can't go after one again for four years.

Well they changed the law out here so now residents can shoot one every regulatory year. That was I think 3 years ago.

L-188

Mon May 15, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 30):
Well they changed the law out here so now residents can shoot one every regulatory year. That was I think 3 years ago.

Frank's predator control program? Timing is about right.

It used to be that there was only 1 GMU that you didn't have the four year limit and that was one way up by Northway or Eagle.

NIKV69

Mon May 15, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 28):
It opens Sept.10 and closes may 15 IIRC. The bears are in hibernating from say 1st Nov to April 15 or so. Bag limit is one per year, you may not take a female if she has cubs, may not bait them, may not hunt within 1/2 mile of a dump/landfill. The hide must be harvested, but the meat can be left. Before anyone wants to raise a stink about that, keep in mind, because a human doesnt eat it, something else will. Often other bears, scavengers.
The fall time hunt provides for bigger fatter bears, they have been gorging themselves on salmon for several months. The spring bears would be better eating, though not much better. Bears are smaller in the spring because of the winter fast they have.

Thanks for the info.

L-188

Mon May 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
Thanks for the info.

IF you ain't Alaskan you have to have a license guide with you to hunt bear.

NIKV69

Mon May 15, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 33):

Oh I would never hunt a bear or any animal. I love bears and was just wondering what the regulations were for hunting them.

bushpilot

Tue May 16, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 31):
Frank's predator control program? Timing is about right.

It used to be that there was only 1 GMU that you didn't have the four year limit and that was one way up by Northway or Eagle.

Not really a predator control thing I dont imagine, or at least not advertised as such, but here in GMU 17 we have tons of bears, but also plenty of moose and caribou. I think it is a matter of letting hunters hunt.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 33):

This is true, and also the tag just to hunt them is a pretty penny. For a resident it is $50. A buddy of mine who is a guide/outfitter charges $10k for an all inclusive brown bear hunt for non-residents. His success rate is over %90.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 34):
Oh I would never hunt a bear or any animal. I love bears and was just wondering what the regulations were for hunting them.

I respect your opinion on that, another thing to keep in mind about the bears, everywhere in AK, but especially in my neck of the woods, I live about 60miles from Katmai national park, and I can drive 10minutes and see bears fishing on the river is that they can do some real damage to your property not to mention yourself. Since I have lived in this region for 9 years, there hasnt been a single bear mauling, but they will destroy a fish smoking house, or anywhere they smell food. None in my yard yet this year, but when we are smoking fish, they will surely come sniff around.
You are allowed to shoot a bear if it is damaging your property, but this isnt the best option for a few reasons, you really have to justify to the authorities why it happened and to make sure you didnt do anything wrong in terms of trash and food where it is accessible. Plus it is your job to skin the bear and turn the hide over to Fish&game. You cant keep the hide, and the fact you have to skin it, well ask L-188, skinning a large bear is a several hour process, add on top of that, some bad weather, and lots of mosquitos, not the best way to spend an evening if you ask me.

NIKV69

Tue May 16, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 35):
I respect your opinion on that, another thing to keep in mind about the bears, everywhere in AK, but especially in my neck of the woods, I live about 60miles from Katmai national park, and I can drive 10minutes and see bears fishing on the river is that they can do some real damage to your property not to mention yourself. Since I have lived in this region for 9 years, there hasnt been a single bear mauling, but they will destroy a fish smoking house, or anywhere they smell food. None in my yard yet this year, but when we are smoking fish, they will surely come sniff around.
You are allowed to shoot a bear if it is damaging your property, but this isnt the best option for a few reasons, you really have to justify to the authorities why it happened and to make sure you didnt do anything wrong in terms of trash and food where it is accessible. Plus it is your job to skin the bear and turn the hide over to Fish&game. You cant keep the hide, and the fact you have to skin it, well ask L-188, skinning a large bear is a several hour process, add on top of that, some bad weather, and lots of mosquitos, not the best way to spend an evening if you ask me.

I understand, in that part of the world cohabitation can be tricky sometimes. I know the bears are merely looking for food but we have to do what we have to do. I would love to see a bear in my backyard!

bushpilot

Tue May 16, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):
I would love to see a bear in my backyard!

Ummm....yeah well fair enough, but let me say this, the novelty wears off very very quickly. When they are tearing your dog to shreds, or knocking over structures in your yard like smoke house or steam bath(maqi) you will get quite annoyed with them. Plus I would rather go sit on the river bluff and watch them fishing, the antics are quite funny, and the fights are very impressive, here they are in thier natural habitat doing what they have been doing for thousands of years if not more. Much nicer that way than seeing them in a zoo or in your backyard.

NIKV69

Tue May 16, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 37):
Ummm....yeah well fair enough, but let me say this, the novelty wears off very very quickly. When they are tearing your dog to shreds, or knocking over structures in your yard like smoke house or steam bath(maqi) you will get quite annoyed with them. Plus I would rather go sit on the river bluff and watch them fishing, the antics are quite funny, and the fights are very impressive, here they are in thier natural habitat doing what they have been doing for thousands of years if not more. Much nicer that way than seeing them in a zoo or in your backyard.

Oh I would love to sit near a river and watch them. Bring the camera! More fun that spotting. Don't like them tearing up the yard though.  biggrin 

VonRichtofen

Tue May 16, 2006 9:20 am

Black bear is pretty good actually. Quite tender.

Kris