cxsjr

Eating With Only A Fork ....

Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 am

I've just spent three weeks in various parts of the US and visited a number of restaurants and eateries.

I noticed that, more than ever since my last visit, most of who I assume were Americans, seem only to use a fork to eat. When something needs cutting, the fork gets passed from right hand to left hand, pick up the knife with the right hand, hold the fork like a dagger whilst cutting the food then put the knife down and pass the fork back to the right hand to eat.

It looks very awkward, not to mention unsightly and would probably be considered bad-mannered in most developed countries - whatever happened to eating the easy way, with a knife and fork?

I know I'll get flamed for this one, and I really don't mean to be rude, but I really never went anywhere else in the civilised world where the eating habits were so bad.
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

aloges

RE: Eating With Only A Fork ....

Sun May 14, 2006 9:45 am

Weighing in on this, I always have the fork in my right hand and the knife in the left. I don't think I'd manage cutting things with the knife in my right hand. Is that bad-mannered, too?  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

cxsjr

Sun May 14, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
Is that bad-mannered, too?

Depends whether you use your fork like a garden shovel?  wink 
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

satx

Sun May 14, 2006 9:53 am

Many of the restaurants in San Antonio don't even give you a knife (or spoon) unless you ask for it. You're just expected to cut with the fork as best you can. You'd probably love it here.  Big grin

Anyway, I actually agree that it's best to eat with both a knife and fork and keep one in each hand without changing hands. I have no idea how this got started, but I'm pretty sure there is a page that explains it somewhere.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

AsstChiefMark

Sun May 14, 2006 9:54 am

You RARELY see an American eat with a knife in one hand and a fork in the other. A knife is rarely used as a "shovel" to push food onto the fork, as is the typical British method. If the food is too "hard" to cut with the edge of the fork, then the knife will be reluctantly pressed into action...quite clumsily, at that.

One thing I notice is that the British don't use a spoon very often. Whenever I'm in the UK, I ALWAYS have to ask for one and usually get a strange look.

Mark

[Edited 2006-05-14 02:56:46]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

QANTASforever

Sun May 14, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
One thing I notice is that the British don't use a spoon very often. Whenever I'm in the UK, I ALWAYS have to ask for one and usually get a strange look.

I'm guessing from your comment that you perhaps use a spoon for certain courses outside traditional spoon territory (soup, dessert)?

What were you eating when you asked for said spoon and received said strange looks?

What I find strange about Americans is their insistance on cutting up their children's food for them. This is quite strange in the rest of the world. Whether it was steak, chicken, or lamb etc - I was always left to fend for myself, fork in my left hand, knife in my right.

Why do Americans assume their children cannot cut up their own food?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

AeroWesty

Sun May 14, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Thread starter):
When something needs cutting, the fork gets passed from right hand to left hand, pick up the knife with the right hand, hold the fork like a dagger whilst cutting the food then put the knife down and pass the fork back to the right hand to eat.

That is the accepted way to use a knife and fork in the U.S. If you need to push something onto the fork, you're supposed to use a piece of bread.

If I were to have used a knife and fork the continental way as a child, I would have had my hands slapped. It's quite odd for us to see how others use a knife and fork too, but as Americans travel more, the continental style of eating is becoming more accepted in places.
International Homo of Mystery

senorcarnival

Sun May 14, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
That is the accepted way to use a knife and fork in the U.S. If you need to push something onto the fork, you're supposed to use a piece of bread.

I've also seen in a multitude of occasions people using a finger to push food onto their fork.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

AeroWesty

Sun May 14, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 7):
I've also seen in a multitude of occasions people using a finger to push food onto their fork.

A sure sign of an individual lacking manners and good breeding.  Wink

Duff44

Sun May 14, 2006 10:24 am

My technique is bizarre:

If I'm only holding a fork, it will be in my right hand

If it's a fork and knife, the fork's in my left and the knife in my right

The thing is, I do not switch between the two. If I start one way, I stay like that unless necessity dictates otherwise.

But I CANNOT use a fork in my left unless I'm holding the knife in my right, and I cannot switch the fork and knife if holding both.

I noticed that, more than ever since my last visit, most of who I assume were Americans, seem only to use a fork to eat.

Being American, I can say we occasionally use less than that  Big grin

Mmmmm.... barbecued ribs  yes 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Elton

Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 am

I was taught the proper way to use a knife for cutting was to switch hands as described, and then return the utensils to their home positions before eating again.

Being "left-handed" it really threw me growing up...

Elton

AsstChiefMark

Sun May 14, 2006 10:37 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 5):
What were you eating when you asked for said spoon and received said strange looks?

Peas, cubed carrots, corn, baked beans, mashed potatoes, etc. There's a bit of logic involved. If a spoon will hold a type of food better than a fork, I'll use a spoon.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

IAH777

Sun May 14, 2006 10:59 am

I wonder why every Brit I've seen eat pizza does so with a knife and fork. Not making a generalization, just an observation.

QANTASforever

Sun May 14, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):
Peas, cubed carrots, corn, baked beans, mashed potatoes, etc. There's a bit of logic involved. If a spoon will hold a type of food better than a fork, I'll use a spoon.

You see - that does make sense logically, but I still find it strange.

QFF

Aeri28

Sun May 14, 2006 11:41 am

Get a spork. Problem half solved.

AsstChiefMark

Sun May 14, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 13):
You see - that does make sense logically, but I still find it strange

I sorta see it like this. I have a ton of pebbles to haul to the next town. Is it better to transport them in a dump (tipper) truck? Or a flatbed truck?  Wink

Mark

atct

Sun May 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting Elton (Reply 10):
I was taught the proper way to use a knife for cutting was to switch hands as described, and then return the utensils to their home positions before eating again.

This is the proper way to cut/eat food. Take a class in etiquette and you'll learn this. Actually a cool class I admit!!!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

TLG

Sun May 14, 2006 12:24 pm

When something needs cutting, the fork gets passed from right hand to left hand, pick up the knife with the right hand, hold the fork like a dagger whilst cutting the food then put the knife down and pass the fork back to the right hand to eat.

From what I've observed, the European method (and maybe other parts of the world; I don't know) is to hold the fork in the left hand. Americans use the right hand, unless they're left-handed. Why would you use the hand that isn't dominant? Right-handed people don't write, throw, or do other things like that with their left hand, so why use it to eat?

-TLG

comorin

Sun May 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Brits have had to protect their fair isle from invading hordes for ages. Only by 'In' mannerisms have they managed to out aliens in their midst who might otherwise pass for an insider. Having progressed from the simple 'Hark, who goes there' IFF they now have a battery of tests for foreigners. If you are spotted, they will point at you and shriek. Here are some tips to help you out:

1. Eat only with a fork and you die.
2. Ditto for using a spoon with spaghetti.
3. Don't clench the knife in your palm as if you're about to stab the meat.
3. You may think they say "Cheers" after every sentence, but be careful with this one.
4. Don't wear a raincoat unless its raining - easiest way to spot an American.
5. Think you're cool? You obviously haven't balanced peas on your fork...
6. Rainy weather means no need to shower everyday.
7. White shirt with your suit? You just got off the United flight from Chicago.
8. Tons of mayo on your sandwich, please - it's the other white meat.
9. Lose the Kleenex - get a cotton hanky and blow your nose in it frequently..
10. It's 'Tems', not 'Thames', 'Gloster', not 'Glue-cester'. 'Jam', not 'Jelly'.
11. Going to P.S.123 in Far Rockaway is not the same as going to Public School in the UK.

Give up and turn yourself in. It's just not worth it....

QANTASforever

Sun May 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 16):
This is the proper way to cut/eat food.

What?!?!

What rubbish.

The proper way to eat food is with the knife in your right hand, fork in your left hand (spikes pointed down), you cut the food with the knife while holding it in place with the fork. You then push the food onto the fork and move it toward your mouth (spikes again pointed down). NEVER should the fork have the spikes pointed up.

The next argument: how to position the cutlery while pausing between bites.

QFF

trident3

Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Doesn't it date back to the early settlers who would probably have had only one knife between the whole family so would have had to pass it round the table. The correct way to pass a knife to someone else being to place it down for them to pick up not to place it in their hands.

There is a story (urban legend perhaps) of escaped American POWs in WWII being captured because they were spotted constantly picking up and putting down their knives, not some thing your average european would do.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

JBLUA320

Sun May 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting Elton (Reply 10):
Being "left-handed" it really threw me growing up...

BINGO! Being a lefty can complicate everything!!

JBLU

andz

Sun May 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 9):
My technique is bizarre:

If I'm only holding a fork, it will be in my right hand

If it's a fork and knife, the fork's in my left and the knife in my right

Nothing wrong with that, it's exactly how I do it and have since I could eat without my mother's assistance.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ozguy

Sun May 14, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 5):
Why do Americans assume their children cannot cut up their own food?

How old are we talking?

One of mum's friends cut a steak up for her four year old while we were out the other night, which is fine with me, but then the next night I saw a kid who must've been eight (at least) playing his gameboy at a restaurant while his mother cut his cordon bleu into little pieces for him so he could eat with only a fork - which he proceeded to do whilst using the other hand for the gameboy. I don't get why people would let their kids get away with that.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 19):
The proper way to eat food is with the knife in your right hand, fork in your left hand (spikes pointed down), you cut the food with the knife while holding it in place with the fork. You then push the food onto the fork and move it toward your mouth (spikes again pointed down). NEVER should the fork have the spikes pointed up.

thumbsup  That's the way I was taught

ManuCH
Crew

Sun May 14, 2006 4:36 pm

If there's something to eat with both fork and knife (ie. something to cut), I hold the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right hand.

If OTOH there's something where a knife isn't needed, I hold the fork in my right hand. If then something unexpected to cut comes up, I switch the fork to the left hand and cut with my right...

I am somehow unable to hold *only* the fork in my left hand and eat like that. But I'm also not sure what's supposed to be the right way of doing it...

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

ZKSUJ

Sun May 14, 2006 6:22 pm

I know I'll get flamed for this one, and I really don't mean to be rude, but I really never went anywhere else in the civilised world where the eating habits were so bad.

Well, I must be pretty uncivilized then.

aero145

Sun May 14, 2006 7:25 pm

I've seen people using only fork (in the right hand) while eating. I find it strange, and when I try it, I can't usually do it very well.  Smile

When I'm in the school and eating lunch, my friend, which uses the fork in the right hand and knive in the left hand, takes so much elbow space, that I can't stand it.
Do you think it has to do of his bad habits or just using the fork and knive in the 'wrong' hands?

-David Big grin

aloges

Sun May 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 26):
using the fork and knive in the 'wrong' hands?

That's not wrong!  Silly Or else I'd be doing it wrong, too... however I don't need much elbow space.

When I'm done cutting meat, I'll stick the fork in it and move it to the mouth with the spikes facing down. When I push peas on the fork, the spikes face up all the way to the mouth, but my hand doesn't form a fist because I hold te fork a bit like a pen - middle finger below the handle, index on its outer side and the thumb placed across it. It's easy to switch between cutting and eating peas once you're used to it.

Oh, and never ever cut potatoes with your knife!

aero145

Sun May 14, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 27):

That's not wrong! Silly Or else I'd be doing it wrong, too... however I don't need much elbow space.

I know that, mate. That's why I did "'wrong'".  Wink

Oh, and never ever cut potatoes with your knife!

Why?  Wow!

AeroWesty

Sun May 14, 2006 10:06 pm

The proper way to eat food is with the knife in your right hand, fork in your left hand (spikes pointed down), you cut the food with the knife while holding it in place with the fork.

What rubbish.

The proper way to eat food is to balance two sticks in your right hand and ...

See how silly that makes what you said? Every culture has their norms, and Americans switch hands when using a knife. There's nothing vulgar about it, it's just the way it's done.

JGPH1A

Sun May 14, 2006 10:19 pm

NEVER should the fork have the spikes pointed up.

Except for peas. There is a specific Culinary Fatwah Ordinance (#17887-A456-14 para 2 subsection B (ii) as amended) exempting peas from the "fork points down" rule.

The Mullahs are also considering extending this exemption to runny scrambled eggs as well, but there is great theological controversy over this, and it may take years before a pronouncement is made.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

aloges

Sun May 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 28):
Why?

In the days before antirust steel, knife blades used to be made of regular steel anyway since the silver used for the handle and for the fork wouldn't have been good at cutting. So the potatoes would have tasted of steel had the knife been used for cutting them. Cutting meat was different, you did need a knife to cut a piece of meet and I could imagine the meat didn't change its taste much.

KFLLCFII

Mon May 15, 2006 1:14 am

It looks very awkward

If you don't like it, don't look.

not to mention unsightly and would probably be considered bad-mannered in most developed countries

I'll take a personal quote from the "Why Do Americans Dress So Badly" thread:

Who are we trying to impress, and why does it really matter?"

whatever happened to eating the easy way, with a knife and fork?

If we really considered it difficult (with a better alternative), don't you think we would have changed our personal habits long ago?

I really never went anywhere else in the civilised world where the eating habits were so bad.

Against whose standard? You've got your way, I've got mine, and I accept that.

I know I'll get flamed for this one, and I really don't mean to be rude

No, you're not being rude. You are, however, showing a lack of tolerance toward the idiosyncrasies of other cultures.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

dc10s4ever

Mon May 15, 2006 2:20 am

Midevil Times Restaurant has no forks or knives...use your fingers.!

JGPH1A

Mon May 15, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 33):
Midevil Times Restaurant has no forks or knives...use your fingers.!

Tsk tsk - historically inaccurate ! In mediaeval times, almost everyone used a knife and a spoon to eat. Forks however were virtually unknown in Europe until (IIRC) the 11th century, when the were (re-)introduced to Europe from the Middle East. They had been used by the Romans as a serving implement, but fell out of use with the arrival of the scabby Germans and the general decline of civilisation that inevitably occurs when that happens  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

scbriml

Mon May 15, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
Except for peas. There is a specific Culinary Fatwah Ordinance (#17887-A456-14 para 2 subsection B (ii) as amended) exempting peas from the "fork points down" rule.

I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.

Spike Milligan (I think).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

kalakaua

Mon May 15, 2006 4:00 am

IIRC, f you're served peas or corn, there should be a side of mashed potatoes, or something along the line, to adhere to your fork, so that your peas can stick to that. You do not mix it, but roll it on there. If there is no mashed potatoes, then you mash your peas.

[Edited 2006-05-14 21:04:36]
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

kalakaua

Mon May 15, 2006 4:14 am

I do find etiquette interesting and irritating at the same time. Interesting in that it's the whole part of the degustation experience, however, irritating that you people make such a big deal out of it.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

CastleIsland

Mon May 15, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):

Everyone knows that you eat peas off a knife that is heavily coated with mashed potatoes.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

JGPH1A

Mon May 15, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 38):
Everyone knows that you eat peas off a knife that is heavily coated with mashed potatoes.

That may be the case in the noisome sewer you choose to infest, but the Culinary Fatwahs about eating food off a knife are very strict ! Thou Shalt Not, Not Ever, No, Just No....No ! I Mean It....Don't Make Me Come Over There... (Fatwahs II Ch XII v12)

Airdolomiti

Mon May 15, 2006 7:13 am

I always hold the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right hand; if there is no need for a knife, I still hold the fork with my left as I'm (predominantly) left-handed.

When I'm done cutting meat, I'll stick the fork in it and move it to the mouth with the spikes facing down. When I push peas on the fork, the spikes face up all the way to the mouth, but my hand doesn't form a fist because I hold te fork a bit like a pen - middle finger below the handle, index on its outer side and the thumb placed across it. It's easy to switch between cutting and eating peas once you're used to it.

That's exactly the way I've always done it  thumbsup 

The next argument: how to position the cutlery while pausing between bites.

I put the fork and knife on the plate at an angle, converging slightly to the front. I never, ever put them down with the tips on the plate and the handles on the table.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 18):
2. Ditto for using a spoon with spaghetti.

I can't stand that! cheeky  A fork is all you need to eat spaghetti.

Federico

ba757

Mon May 15, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 12):
I wonder why every Brit I've seen eat pizza does so with a knife and fork. Not making a generalization, just an observation.

Funny you mention this.

I thought it was strange eating a pizza with a knife and fork - I never really did this until I moved here (Italy).

Back in the UK I have always eaten it with my hands, just like every other Brit I have seen.

Adam

fumanchewd

Mon May 15, 2006 7:56 am

I've noticed this myself and have "re-educated" myself to cut with my left hand during my teenage years.

At first my teenage years were filled with sorrow and angst from chaffing due to over-masturbation and reading Dostoevski. Sometimes I would even masturbate while reading Dostoevski. Wink My later teens were filled with much heavier intraspections such as, why the f*** do I have to switch my utensils every 30 seconds and why do young people (who have their whole lives) drive crazy while old people (about to keel over) drive careful.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Daleaholic

Mon May 15, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 2):
you use your fork like a garden shovel?

I Absolutely hate seeing people eat like this, and people eating with their mouths open often makes me angry.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

levent

Mon May 15, 2006 5:42 pm

Here in Thailand, when eating Thai food, you will generally be provided with only a spoon, or a spoon and a knife. A fork is available upon request. The reason is that most of the times the dish contains rice or noodles with meat already cut up in small pieces in it.

In general, I have always used a fork and a knife to eat, and a spoon when necessary. I suppose it's a matter of habit, and every culture has its own habits. During my 1-week stay in China I became quite handy in eating with chopsticks too.

What I do hate though is people eating with their mouths open and making a range of disgusting sounds while "processing" their food. I have no urge to hear all those sounds, nor to see the contents of their mouths.

deltagator

Mon May 15, 2006 7:32 pm

I noticed that, more than ever since my last visit, most of who I assume were Americans, seem only to use a fork to eat. When something needs cutting, the fork gets passed from right hand to left hand, pick up the knife with the right hand, hold the fork like a dagger whilst cutting the food then put the knife down and pass the fork back to the right hand to eat.

So what is it there Chief? You say we only eat with a fork but then go into a discourse on how we switch hands and use the knife. Get your story straight. That is the way we have been taught to eat. Sorry that us lazy, foul colonials don't speak the Queen's English anymore and have such horrible manners. Perhaps we should bow and curtsy for you as well. Maybe next time the Germans come knocking on your door we just look the other way? Or maybe until you get rid of such "quaint" things as the monarchy we continue to use our left hands to use the knife and point the tines of the fork up.  Wink

It looks very awkward, not to mention unsightly and would probably be considered bad-mannered in most developed countries - whatever happened to eating the easy way, with a knife and fork?

It's not akward, it isn't bad mannered, and it is the way we seem to eat here in the States. If you don't like it then stay home. Geez! As many screwed up things here and you complain about our use of forks and knives? Come on, complain about something that actually means something.

Well most Americans have never been to a country where dental hygeine was so lacking.  Wink To each country their own I suppose. I think you would last about 5 minutes in India where eating habits involve no utensils and only the hands in many instances.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

kingsford

Mon May 15, 2006 8:57 pm

I agree that one should respect each other's culture and habits.

I admit that I was somehow grossed out when I used to see how americans only use their forks with one hand and just use the other arm for support over their plate. To me it is unsightly. Why ?

This is a habit that was strongly discouraged during my early education, therefore the way I look at those who do it. I just can't help it, this is the way I was brought up. Education is powerful.

However I can respect that it is the way Americans tend to eat and I would just keep my observation to myself or peers and at the end of the day, not really mind.

Do americans also look at us fork&knife users with curiosity ? Do you guys also think we have weird habits when eating in front of us (drop the knife, drop the knife)? Are you discouraged at a young age from eating sitting straight and using both ustensils ?

I wonder what both americans and europeans would think if, say, a person would start emptying his plate in front of them with his right hand because that's what they do at home ?

We are all happy to eat with chopsticks at an asian restaurant, why don't we simply adapt our habits with the type of restaurant we're in, or the location ?

On that matter I noticed american colleagues tend to adapt to the european way when in Europe, while I never noticed european colleagues eating the american way in the US, including myself.

And during that time in Vanuatu, they listen to the pineapples grow ...

HAWK21M

Mon May 15, 2006 11:14 pm

Ever Eaten Idli sambar with Two Spoons  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

QANTASforever

Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Kingsford (Reply 46):
We are all happy to eat with chopsticks at an asian restaurant, why don't we simply adapt our habits with the type of restaurant we're in, or the location ?

Next time you eat at McDonalds, remember to use only a fork, and perhaps a spoon for the McNuggets, as my American friend above would no doubt advocate.

QFF

deltagator

Mon May 15, 2006 11:48 pm

admit that I was somehow grossed out when I used to see how americans only use their forks with one hand and just use the other arm for support over their plate. To me it is unsightly. Why ?

Are you talking about some lazy ass hillbilly who puts their elbows on the table and holds their chin up with their fist? If so we aren't all lazy ass colonials like these fools. Perhaps before the oh so cultured Brits mouth off about us Americans maybe you should control your Chav population. I think forced sterilization is a good start. We'll get to work on the hillbillies, guidos, and other riff-raff populating these shores at the same time.

I was brought up to keep my left hand in my lap or at worst resting my wrist on the table in between using the knife with my left hand to cut food. If I didn't need to cut food then that hand belonged in my lap.

Do americans also look at us fork&knife users with curiosity ?

No. We use knives over here so the concept of the utensil isn't lost in us.

Are you discouraged at a young age from eating sitting straight and using both ustensils ?

No, in fact I was usually smacked if I acted like such a fool at the dinner table. Just because I use my fork with the tines facing up doesn't make me some heathen jackass. Just because I use my left hand to manipulate my knife versus constantly switching back and forth or attempting to use my left hand (and thus non-dominant hand) as my main food entry apparatus does not make me uneducated.

Kingsford, I'm not taking it out on you but for whatever reason I'm a little heated about this one. Pissed off at a worthless project with work and I needed a vent somewhere versus punching a wall or something.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 43):
Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 2):
you use your fork like a garden shovel?

I Absolutely hate seeing people eat like this, and people eating with their mouths open often makes me angry.

There is a big difference between fork tines up and chewing with your mouth open. The first is no big deal while the second is just poor manners wherever you come from.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."