Braybuddy
Topic Author

Language Names

Mon May 15, 2006 8:00 am

How many languages in current use have the distinction of NOT being named after the countries they are used in? Off the top of my head I can only think of a few: Farsi, Hindi, Tagalog, Romansch, Gaelic and probably a few more if it wasn't so late at night. Okay, you could probably include Mandarin and Castellano, although they would probably be considered just Chinese and Spanish by foreigners. Can anyone think of any others? I'm sure there are hundreds of regional languages (eg Breton), but I'm talking about official languages or ones in widespread use here.

[Edited 2006-05-15 01:03:30]

aloges

RE: Language Names

Mon May 15, 2006 8:04 am

Off the top of my head, Norway comes to mind. They have two versions of their language, one of which is called Nynorsk ("New-Norwegian", named after the country) and the other, more widely used one, is Bokmål or the "book language".
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AeroWesty

Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 am

All of the Athabaskan languages would fall into this category:

http://www.native-languages.org/famath.htm
International Homo of Mystery

ctbarnes

Mon May 15, 2006 8:16 am

A lot of times these names are of languages predominantly spoken in a region rather than the whole country. India is an example of this with languages such as Hindi, Tamil, Gujarati, Bengali and so forth.

More specific to a country would be something like Urdu (Pakistan and India), or Arabic (spoken widely throughout the Middle East). Another regional (i.e. across a number of countries) language would be Swahili spoken in East Africa.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Athabaskan languages

Well you learn something new every day!

AeroWesty

Mon May 15, 2006 8:23 am

And a little history on how an Athabaskan language was used:

http://thenaturalamerican.com/wind_talkers.htm

"Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Peleliu, and Iwo Jima have one thing in common: they were captured by the Wind Talkers unit. The Wind Talkers took part in every assault the U.S. Marines conducted in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945--serving in all six Marine divisions. Many American soldiers staked their lives on the success of the Navajo code and view the Wind Talkers' contributions to the war effort as nothing short of monumental. A Marine Corps signal officer summed up the situation after WW2: "Were it not for the Wind Talkers, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima and other places."

American Marines on Saipan were able to use one code that was never broken by the Japanese. Navajo Indian communicators spoke in a code derived from their exclusive language to help win the battle. The complexity of the code perplexed the Japanese. It proved impossible to break for many reasons. For example, there are multiple sounds for vowels used in words which are similar in spelling but have different meanings. The complexity increased on the receiving end. Once a Navajo Code Talker obtained the string of unrelated Navajo words, he translated every word into English. From the collection of English words, he used the first letter in every word to make a whole word in English. The original Navajo Code Talkers also created and learned approximately 450 words that represented military terms.
International Homo of Mystery

LO231

Mon May 15, 2006 9:02 am

Take Flemish, although considered a dialect by Dutch norms, some words and sentences would be absolutely strange to the Dutch, while widely used in Belgium..

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

Arcano

Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
Castellano, although they would probably be considered just Chinese and Spanish by foreigners

Castellano was name after Castilla, so I think it also belongs to the category of named after the region they are spoken.

BTW, I love to call the language "Castellano" instead of the meaningless "Español" word.
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

Marambio

Mon May 15, 2006 10:00 am

Swahili, which is spoken in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda.

Guaraní, official language in Paraguay and in the Argentine province of Corrientes, in both cases together with Spanish.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

JAGflyer

Mon May 15, 2006 10:49 am

Hebrew which is the official langauge of Israel as well as Arabic. Urdu from Pakistan, Punjabi,Gujrati and Hindi from India. Tamil from Sri Lanka.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

yowza

Mon May 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 9):
Hindi from India

I'm not sure of the etymology of it all but I'm pretty sure there is a relation between "Hindi" and the "Hindustan" which of course is the equivalent of "India" not being Indian I'm not sure, perhaps somebody knows for sure?

Back on topic Dhivehi - Maldives and Chichewa - Malawi come to mind.

YOWza

SFOMEX

Mon May 15, 2006 2:54 pm

Spanglish.

"Te llamo para atras" y "aseguranza" are two perls of this growing language, along with "parkear", "wachame", "troca" and so on. Big grin
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

misbeehavin

Mon May 15, 2006 3:06 pm

I believe Farsi came from Persia and Hindi from Hindustan and Flemish from Flanders, so those are somewhat accounted for.

Dutch, on the other hand, came from Holland / the Netherlands. So at least the English term for the language is not named after the country.

And what about Bhutan - what language do they speak? I'm quite sure it's not called Bhutanese.

SFOMEX

Mon May 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 12):
And what about Bhutan - what language do they speak?

National or official language: Dzongkha.  chat 
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

salso

Mon May 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Well, I know in Switzerland they have four official languages. One of them being Rätoromanisch (or as far as I know in English it's called Rhetoroman). Well... the actal language spoken in Graubünden is actually Bündnerromanisch (hab ich das richtig gekriegt?). It is the least spoken of the four official languages but it is still official there. And anyway, none of the four languages is named after Switzerland (or la Suisse, die Schweiz, la Swizzera).

There was a dispute a while ago, if I remember correctly, that the Swiss version of the German language should not be considered only a "dialect" of German anymore, but an independent language, Schwyzer Dytsch, that is. So there but be at least one language named after the country itself. Is that right? Perhaps our Swiss friends can shed some light on it.

(sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I am a language freak and Switzerland is one of my favourite countries in the whole universe)

asbg

Mon May 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Hebrew is the official language of Israel.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Salso (Reply 14):
Well, I know in Switzerland they have four official languages. One of them being Rätoromanisch (or as far as I know in English it's called Rhetoroman).

Romansch (or Rumantsch, Romansh or Romanche) is what the language is called in English

JGPH1A

Tue May 16, 2006 12:03 am

Afrikaans, Zulu, Tswana, Sotho, Shangaan, Ndebele, Xhosa plus a couple of others, all official languages in South Africa.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANother

Tue May 16, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Salso (Reply 14):
Perhaps our Swiss friends can shed some light on it.

Well, if you don't mind a Canadian resident of Switzerland commenting. The French spoken here (in the 'Suisse romande') is likely to be understood by French speakers anywhere - although the accents of some from the more rural areas are likely to be commented on.

Swiss German is another matter. I think there are as many dialects as there are towns and cities, and most are not understood outside their own regions.

Still a wonderful place to live.

Thom@s

Tue May 16, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
Off the top of my head, Norway comes to mind. They have two versions of their language, one of which is called Nynorsk ("New-Norwegian", named after the country) and the other, more widely used one, is Bokmål or the "book language".

Just to add to that; Nynorsk is the new language based on norwegian dialects, while Bokmål is based on the Danish written language. They are very similar, and although quite a few words are (slightly) different, the majority of the words are the same in Nynorsk and Bokmål.

Nynorsk is mainly the written language in South western Norway, while Bokmål is mainly used in the South east, and north.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

christeljs

Tue May 16, 2006 4:36 am

They're not really two different languages though. It's only some words slightly written different, and it sounds like two different dialects just. Me personally wouldn't call it two different languages.
Christel A Photography

BCNGRO

Tue May 16, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
Okay, you could probably include Mandarin and Castellano, although they would probably be considered just Chinese and Spanish by foreigners.

Actually, "castellano" is a language named after the place where it is and has been used for hundreds of years (Castille). Funnily enough, "spanish" isn't such a language: It is named after "Spain", but there are regions where spanish wasn't used until just a couple of centuries ago...
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue May 16, 2006 9:34 pm

Thom@s summed this up, but I'd say nynorsk is used mostly in Telemark (inner areas), most of the west coast from Egersund north to Mørekysten, and random areas inbetween. Bokmål is not spoken by anybody (some older ladies from Majorstuen possibly..hehe), but eastern dialects are based off of bokmål.

One not mentioned here is Sami, spoken by the Sami people in the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. It is not related to Norwegian, as a matter of fact it is not even a Germanic language, but rather Uralic language. Northern Sami is considered an official language in some municipalities in Norway, and is protected by the Norwegian Constitution.

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 20):
They're not really two different languages though. It's only some words slightly written different, and it sounds like two different dialects just. Me personally wouldn't call it two different languages.

Then why do I have to take classes in it? Grr...  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

andaman

Wed May 17, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 22):
One not mentioned here is Sami, spoken by the Sami people in the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. It is not related to Norwegian, as a matter of fact it is not even a Germanic language, but rather Uralic language. Northern Sami is

Sami language belongs to the same language family (Finno-Ugric) with Finnish and has an official status in Finland too. It sounds sort of familiar to a Finnish speaker but I can't really understand it.

To the original topic: Swedish is the second official language in Finland, that comes from the time Finland was the eastern part of the Swedish kingdom for 600y.
At school all Finnish speakers have to learn at least some Swedish and all Swedish speaking Finns some Finnish.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

carmenlu15

Wed May 17, 2006 3:01 am

We could consider any of the Mayan languages spoken here (kaqchikel, kekchi, mam, etc.), since they are recognized as official languages in Guatemala.

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 11):
"Te llamo para atras" y "aseguranza" are two perls of this growing language, along with "parkear", "wachame", "troca" and so on.

faint 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.