AeroWesty
Topic Author

West Texas Says "We Want To Drive 80MPH!"

Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 am

http://www.oaoa.com/news/nw051606b.htm

...some advocates for fuel conservation and safety have questioned the wisdom of boosting speed limits, but transportation officials said most drivers are already cruising at nearly 80 mph.

Carlos Lopez, TxDOT director of traffic operations, said a survey of both interstates found that 85 percent of motorists were driving up to 79 mph.
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer

RE: West Texas Says "We Want To Drive 80MPH!"

Wed May 17, 2006 4:41 am

Drove with a g/f from PHX to DCA in the mid 1990s - she was asleep across west Texas . . . it was her BMer and I was driving . . .  devil 

80mph would have seemed slow . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

texan

Wed May 17, 2006 4:50 am

I-20 through West Texas should be like the Autobahn: drive as fast as you can. It is boring, there is nothing there, and it leads to absolutely nothing. Might as well increase it to 80, the state troopers don't pull you over for doing it.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Pope

Wed May 17, 2006 5:15 am

Just one more example that people like to bitch about high gas prices but don't really want to do anything to reduce consumption.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

ANCFlyer

Wed May 17, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 2):
I-20 through West Texas should be like the Autobahn: drive as fast as you can. It is boring, there is nothing there, and it leads to absolutely nothing.

checkmark 

We bailed outta El Paso and headed east, when I-10 split off it was like no mans land forever. Michelle slept, and I cranked up that BMer of her's to 100mph plus . . . and it was awesome. Climbing into the mountains was very cool. I stopped once - picture time. Clear, beautiful out there and you could see forever. . . like a damn John Wayne western. Nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles. Saw one Texas Trooper . . . when I was at a gas station . . .  relieved 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AT502B

Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 am

80mph is pretty consevative thru West TX. A different story at night when deer flock onto the Interstates in the thousands, then 60mph is the way too fast  tombstone 
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

Birdwatching

Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 am

80mph? Do I have to drive that slow?

Signed, Germany
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

bushpilot

Wed May 17, 2006 6:33 am

Having never been there, I dont know the entire landscape, but from what I understand huge stretches of straight flat highway, let em as fast as they want. Cue up the Darwin Award theme music is all I will say.

Edited to add, this was my 800th post, what a way to use it. Worthless.

[Edited 2006-05-16 23:36:36]

Tom in NO

Wed May 17, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
when I-10 split off it was like no mans land forever.

Very true.....but I'll take the I-10/I-20 west Texas drive any day over the I-10 north Florida drive any day of the year. Nonstop pine trees up to the side of the I from east of Pensacola most of the way to J-Ville. At least in Texas you can see further than 50 yards from the road.

Quoting Texan (Reply 2):
the state troopers don't pull you over for doing it.

My boss would likely beg to differ.....he was bringing back a car from Arizona and got busted for speeding west of Abilene. Of course, the fact it was a brand new black Dodge Charger might have had something to do with it.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

texan

Wed May 17, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 8):
My boss would likely beg to differ.....he was bringing back a car from Arizona and got busted for speeding west of Abilene.

Abilene to Midland is patrolled, but there ain't nothing or nobody out there between Odessa and El Paso  Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Tom in NO

Wed May 17, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 9):
there ain't nothing or nobody out there between Odessa and El Paso

Done that stretch a few times.....actually spent one night in Van Horn.....the Dairy Queen was the busiest place in town, as always. Usually we plow through to ELP or Deming.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

da man

Wed May 17, 2006 8:42 am

I think I remember seeing an 80mph sign on I-10 near Balmorehea last June.
Beautiful area, especially the Boy Scout Ranch out there (BTSR)!

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 10):
the Dairy Queen was the busiest place in town

Really, it was the state park in Balmorehea.

da man
War Eagle!

AirCop

Wed May 17, 2006 8:51 am

My state rep here is Arizona introduced a bill to raise the interstate speed limit in rural Arizona to 80 twice in the last couple of years. Didn't go anywhere, the insurance lobby, DOT, all raised a stink..

Cadet57

Wed May 17, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
and I cranked up that BMer of her's to 100mph plus . . .

Just 100?

Signed,

LOT767-300ER
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

flymia

Wed May 17, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):
80mph? Do I have to drive that slow?

I agree. I dont see the problem driving 80-100mph on a empty dry highway. Now if there is traffic or the weather is not good than it is just stupid. The autobahn seems to do fine why cant we atleast have the empty highways in the US have a limit up to 80mph. I does not make much of a difference to me as I will be doing 80+ all the time but it could save me from a big speeding ticket and make traffic flow a bit more smoothly and safely since drivers wont be afraid to drive a little bit faster.
I really would love to take my car on a autobahn type highway now that would be fun.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

dc10s4ever

Wed May 17, 2006 10:19 am

I doubt it will ever happen. Posted slow speedlimits = revenue $$$$$$

TheRedBaron

Wed May 17, 2006 10:30 am

Id say that most people doesnt know how to drive safely let alone drive fast safely.
Tons of cars DO NOT have brakes to stop from 100mph to zero in a panic situation or a fast stop.
You can see that in a lot of so called "sport cars in the USA, that have counterparts in Europe, where they get proper equipment due to higher autobahn speeds.

A loaded SUV @ 90 mph is an accident waiting to happen let alone the gargantuan gas consumption.

a perfectly survivable accident in a normal sedan "Camry class" will not be in a high SUV like a LR or a navigator, because most of the time they will roll over... In MExico a LOT of people drive over the century mark in SUV, the accidents are very often fatal and quite nasty.

Yep driving fast is quite fun, but you need a proper sport car to drive over 90 most of the time....in SUVland it will only make more death stats and higher gas wasted to the air...

my .02 cents
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Garri767

Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 am

good for us, although when driving towards dallas, i normally push 90 mph Big grin lol

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

flymia

Wed May 17, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 16):

People who drive Navigators or Land Rover Discoveries over 100 are not the smartest people but not all SUVs are meant to be driven only under 100. Take my SUV for example a Volkswagen Touareg, The truck wieghs 5,500lbs empty, but its an SUV which you can take up to 120-130mph if you really want to. I have driven it at high speeds and I have driven a Mercedes CLK at high speeds also and I felt much more comfortble driving the Touareg at high speeds than the CLK, better breaking more stable less wind noise in the Touareg. I know of people who have takent he Touareg up to 140mph on the autobahn of course.

Other SUVs which can be driven at high speeds unlike the normal SUV are, Mercedes ML, X5, Range Rover Sport, Jeep SRT8,Porsche Cayenne. But I would never drive a large full sized SUV at high speeds. I would not even feel confortble driving a Ford Mustang at high speeds. There are just some cars which are meant to go fast and others which just should not.

Germans know how to make great cars.  Wink Meant for those German highways at high speeds.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

AC773

Wed May 17, 2006 11:18 am

Interestingly enough, West Texas holds the world record for the largest speeding ticket ever issued. This was the car...

It's a Koenigsegg, and the record ticket was for 242 Mph!

ANCFlyer reportedly came a close second in that BMW.  Wink

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

bhmbaglock

Wed May 17, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 8):
Very true.....but I'll take the I-10/I-20 west Texas drive any day over the I-10 north Florida drive any day of the year.

I'll definitely go along with this one and add my all time least favorite to the list, I-81 through VA. It goes on forever!
Where are all of my respected members going?

NIKV69

Wed May 17, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 2):
I-20 through West Texas should be like the Autobahn: drive as fast as you can. It is boring, there is nothing there, and it leads to absolutely nothing. Might as well increase it to 80, the state troopers don't pull you over for doing it.

Been on that Highway many times as well as I40. Raise it already. I do 90 anyway and I go long periods of time without seeing anybody! New Mexico is just as bad. I think when it's daylight it should be 85 in some spots.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

itsjustme

Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 am

I just drove from the L.A. area to Houston (Thurs a.m. to Fri a.m.). Took I-10 all the way. Most TX drivers were doing the posted limits or below and I passed sporadic patrol cars parked on the shoulder. Maybe I just hit an off day but I didn't notice anyone doing any 80mph driving.

Speaking of TX, what gives with that difference in the speed limit from day to night? In some areas, it was 70 during the day and 65 at night (others it was 75/65). A 5mph diffrence?

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
Just one more example that people like to bitch about high gas prices but don't really want to do anything to reduce consumption.

checkmark 

Falcon84

Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Gawd darn, we agree on something, Pope!  bigthumbsup 
Work Right, Fly Hard

NIKV69

Wed May 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 22):
Speaking of TX, what gives with that difference in the speed limit from day to night? In some areas, it was 70 during the day and 65 at night (others it was 75/65). A 5mph diffrence?

There is a big difference between day or night. Your visibility is cut down big time. If you were doing 90 in the dark on I40 and an animal was crossing the highway you would have no chance at stopping. When I drive to Nevada every winter I try to do all of my driving with the sun up. Remember no street lights out in the middle of nowhere and even with the best HIDs you still have limited visibility at night.

HPLASOps

Wed May 17, 2006 12:52 pm

I've done the I-10 ELP-SAT drive too many times - actually lost some of belongings on the road the last time I drove it (I was trying to cram all of it into my small pickup to save on renting a truck and well, that was a bad idea in retrospect).

One of my all time favorite stories on that road involved my golf team. They were took two vans to Ruidoso, NM to play in a golf tournament. They were planning on staying an extra night and coming back the next day. However, the last round got rained out, so they decided to leave that afternoon and make the 12 hour drive. Coach had a few beers at dinner and didn't feel like driving (my coach is nowhere near what people call "smart"). So two of the seniors, Brian and Aaron were given van driving duties. Aaron is a crazy dude who was in a hurry to make the drive go by as quickly as possible. Brian was having a helluva time keeping up, and with no radio, was forced to use about 4 or 5 sodas and a mouthful of sunflower seeds to keep him going. After the sun had been down for quite awhile, one of the people in Brian's van woke up and looked at Aaron's van, and asked "Why is he swerving so bad? Is he asleep?" Brian said no, it was actually cause he was avoiding deer. I have this great visual in my head of Aaron driving this 15 pax breadwagon going 100 mph on I-10 constantly swerving to avoid deer. How everyone made it back safely is damn near a miracle. Needless to say, they weren't too happy about the situation.

As for the topic, it doesn't matter what you set the limit at, people are gonna drive the speed they want on that road. Give you another example, US 95 between Kingman, AZ and Hoover Dam (well up until 16 miles from the dam before you get into the mountains). That road is a dragstrip, 2 lanes each way, flat, very few turns (a couple of subtle turns along the way, that's it). And it stays that way for 50 miles. I don't know what the posted limit is, cause, well, no one has ever followed it. There are never any cops on that road, I've hit 100 a number of times on it, and I've known friends who reached 135 mph. That's a fun drive I tell ya.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

itsjustme

Wed May 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
There is a big difference between day or night. Your visibility is cut down big time. If you were doing 90 in the dark on I40 and an animal was crossing the highway you would have no chance at stopping. When I drive to Nevada every winter I try to do all of my driving with the sun up. Remember no street lights out in the middle of nowhere and even with the best HIDs you still have limited visibility at night.

Really? There's a big difference between day and night? Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing that to "light". Hey, do you suppose that's where the old saying, "They're as different as night and day" comes from?

I don't know where you got the "90mph" figure from. I specifically referred to some areas of I-10 where the difference in the speed limit was only 5mph....70 (not 90) during the day and 65 at night. Also, some of these areas would hardly qualify as being "out in the middle of nowhere".

If you're going to comment on a particular post, try and refrain from embellishing what was said.

NIKV69

Wed May 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 25):
As for the topic, it doesn't matter what you set the limit at, people are gonna drive the speed they want on that road. Give you another example, US 95 between Kingman, AZ and Hoover Dam (well up until 16 miles from the dam before you get into the mountains). That road is a dragstrip, 2 lanes each way, flat, very few turns (a couple of subtle turns along the way, that's it). And it stays that way for 50 miles. I don't know what the posted limit is, cause, well, no one has ever followed it. There are never any cops on that road, I've hit 100 a number of times on it, and I've known friends who reached 135 mph. That's a fun drive I tell ya.

Been on that stretch many times! I tell ya I like the stretch of 95 between Searchlight and Vegas. You can really go down on the pedal. The stretch from Kingman to the Dam is risky there is some highway patrol there but I have never been stopped driving to Vegas from Laughlin on 95.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 26):
Really? There's a big difference between day and night? Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing that to "light". Hey, do you suppose that's where the old saying, "They're as different as night and day" comes from?

Ya think?  crazy 

I don't know where you got the "90mph" figure from. I specifically referred to some areas of I-10 where the difference in the speed limit was only 5mph....70 (not 90) during the day and 65 at night. Also, some of these areas would hardly qualify as being "out in the middle of nowhere".

If you're going to comment on a particular post, try and refrain from
embellishing what was said.

Wasn't embellshing anything pal. I mean if the limit is 70 how many people do you know drive at 70? Let's face it the minimum is 80 and most go over that.

itsjustme

Wed May 17, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
Wasn't embellshing anything pal. I mean if the limit is 70 how many people do you know drive at 70? Let's face it the minimum is 80 and most go over that.

Call it what you'd like but when I say 70mph and you post back and use 90mph to try and make a point, that's embellishing. If in fact the posted limit was 90mph during daylight hours and 65mph for night time driving, that would make sense. Unfortunately, that's not the case. We're talking about a difference of only 5mph, not 25mph, in some areas of I-10.

As for how many people I know who drive the posted limit...not many. However, if you care to refer to my original post, this is what I said: "Took I-10 all the way. Most TX drivers were doing the posted limits or below and I passed sporadic patrol cars parked on the shoulder. Maybe I just hit an off day but I didn't notice anyone doing any 80mph driving.

TheRedBaron

Wed May 17, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 18):
Take my SUV for example a Volkswagen Touareg

Completelly agree the Touareg and The Cayenne have Big brakes standard due to their european design.

They even ower themselves after getting over 45mph If i remember correctly....

But most SUVs and even more important Pick ups brake terrible from high speeds...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

HPLASOps

Wed May 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
Been on that stretch many times! I tell ya I like the stretch of 95 between Searchlight and Vegas. You can really go down on the pedal. The stretch from Kingman to the Dam is risky there is some highway patrol there but I have never been stopped driving to Vegas from Laughlin on 95.

I haven't been that way in awhile, but the last time I was on that road (probably 5 summers ago), it was only 1 lane each way, meaning you had cross the yellow line to pass cars to go the speed you want. I doubt it has been widened since then. At least with the Kingman Hwy you have a passing lane to get by the slower cars.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

TheSonntag

Wed May 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Sometimes I see why it is so nice to live in Germany  Wink

While we, in fact, have speed limits in urban areas (around 50% of the network might have limits, usually 100 or 120 km/h which is 65 or 80 mph), the rest is unlimited.

And unlimited means unlimited... There are motorways where many drivers have an average speed of maybe 110-130mph today...

Interesting, btw, is that our Autobahn safety rate is better than the US interstate safety rate, according to some statistics.

However: Cars in Germany are designed for these high speeds, which means the brakes are designed for Vmax, the tyres are able to survive that, the engines are able to do this speed all the time and so on...

And it should not be forgotten that people have to drive in a completely different way on unlimited stretches. Before you overtake, you MUST look back, and passing on the right is strictly forbidden. So people need time to get used to such driving behaviour.

NIKV69

Wed May 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 28):
Call it what you'd like but when I say 70mph and you post back and use 90mph to try and make a point, that's embellishing. If in fact the posted limit was 90mph during daylight hours and 65mph for night time driving, that would make sense. Unfortunately, that's not the case. We're talking about a difference of only 5mph, not 25mph, in some areas of I-10.

I think 85 would make sense I mean it's 75 now outside the city limits.

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 30):
I haven't been that way in awhile, but the last time I was on that road (probably 5 summers ago), it was only 1 lane each way, meaning you had cross the yellow line to pass cars to go the speed you want. I doubt it has been widened since then. At least with the Kingman Hwy you have a passing lane to get by the slower cars.

You should drive on it now! Been a lot of changes. From Laughlin to Searchlight you have to pass some semis but from Searchlight on it's two lanes and brand new. So nice. I can make the 90 miles in just under an hour and my record is 50 mins. Luckily no highway patrol!  biggrin 

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 15):
Posted slow speedlimits = revenue $$$$$$

Call it whatever you want. Even with a higher speed limit, people will speed and still produce revenue as you call it.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Gilligan

Wed May 17, 2006 8:58 pm

Really? There's a big difference between day and night?

Yeah there is. NIKV69 is exactly right. The deer come out in force after dark and if you try and keep up even the legal 65 you're going to have an unwanted meeting with one of them sooner or later.

Also, some of these areas would hardly qualify as being "out in the middle of nowhere".

Once you're past SAT westbound or ELP eastbound, there is nothing that doesn't readily qualify as "nowhere" in west Texas on I10. During the day if you're doing 80, you're just keeping up. If you're doing 70, you're a road block.

I say jack it up to whatever a persons vehicle can handle. If you go off the road you're certainly not going to damage anything save your own car.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

aloges

Wed May 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 31):
Sometimes I see why it is so nice to live in Germany

Definitely. I always get a kick out of these threads about driving.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 31):
So people need time to get used to such driving behaviour.

Definitely. I've often read some American a.netters' wishes for better driver education, which we seem to have in Germany. Not just a little driving with mom in the passenger seat and then a brief test, but a lot of actual driving (also in bad conditions or during the night) on all types of road before you can even take the exam.

And still, I worked my way up to driving in excess of those magic 100 mph. When you do that, you better use all your concentration and then some for driving and nothing but driving - which you hopefully learned in driving school. 100+ mph can be perfectly safe (just as much as 20 mph can kill you) if you pay attention and plan ahead.

For anyone planning to go on a joyride on the Autobahn, please:

- Do so on a Sunday (few if any lorries).
- Take your time before you put the pedal to the metal.
- Remain calm - there's nothing worse than anger or panic at 100 mph.
- Use your mirrors, turn your head and indicate before you get in the fast lane.
- Always remember someone might think the above is unnecessary and pull out right in front of you, so be prepared to slam your foot on the brake whenever you pass more than, say, three cars in a row - especially if they're behind a lorry.

[Edited 2006-05-17 14:10:22]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 35):
For anyone planning to go on a joyride on the Autobahn, please:

Add to that list that Germans are generally great on moving out of your way with a slight flash of high beams.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 35):
- always remember someone might think the above is unnecessary and pull out right in front of you, so be prepared to slam your foot on the brake whenever you pass more than, say, three cars in a row - especially if they're behing a lorry

We had that happen somewhere north of Hamburg, we were going 200, and some idiot moved out going 110...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

satx

Wed May 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

checkmark  100%  thumbsup  I could not possibly agree more.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 14):
I dont see the problem driving 80-100mph on a empty dry highway.

Signed,

90% of the Americans who complain about the price of gas!  Big grin

Quoting AC773 (Reply 19):

It's a Koenigsegg, and the record ticket was for 242 Mph!

It was a mere ticket and not a felony arrest?

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 25):

As for the topic, it doesn't matter what you set the limit at, people are gonna drive the speed they want on that road.

I agree. It's about time we started matching the cost of a speeding ticket to the amount in your paycheck. That ought to get the message across.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

NIKV69

Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 34):
Yeah there is. NIKV69 is exactly right. The deer come out in force after dark and if you try and keep up even the legal 65 you're going to have an unwanted meeting with one of them sooner or later.

Oh no doubt! I have circled the country every winter for the last 5 years in my car and trust me if I am still on the interstate after dusk I keep it at 65. Welcome to my RU list!  wave 

Once you're past SAT westbound or ELP eastbound, there is nothing that doesn't readily qualify as "nowhere" in west Texas on I10. During the day if you're doing 80, you're just keeping up. If you're doing 70, you're a road block.

I say jack it up to whatever a persons vehicle can handle. If you go off the road you're certainly not going to damage anything save your own car.

checkmark 

senorcarnival

Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 19):

If he was doing 242 mph, he didn't get a ticket. That's at least a misdemeanor. I'm not sure if this varies by county, but at least in some counties if you are doing over 30mph the speed limit, you don't get a ticket, it's a misdemeanor and you get to go have a nice chat with the judge.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

satx

Wed May 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 39):
If he was doing 242 mph, he didn't get a ticket. That's at least a misdemeanor.

It becomes a felony at 25MPH+ over the speed limit. Should have been arrested and hauled off with his car left sitting by the side of the road for a good bit of time. Then again, this is Texas, so anything is possible.

Gilligan

Wed May 17, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 40):
Then again, this is Texas, so anything is possible.

The cops were probably trying to figure out how to work one of those into their budget for the next year! lol My question would be what did they have in their inventory that could catch the car? When you stop to think that the police car was probably stopped on the side of the road shooting radar or laser, this guy goes by at 242, by the time the HOLY SH_T factor is over and he hits the road, that car would be several miles out in front of him. At top speed in a cruiser he would still be woefully unequipped. Even a police helicopter would be outrun at 242mph. But I guess as the old story goes, you can't outrun a radio.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 17, 2006 11:16 pm

This same thread is on another (police) forum, and they have some good points as well. Driver's training is a joke here in the US. The following is the curriculum to get a driver's license in Norway. Long read, but just shows how important training is there. Oh, and you have to be 18, and each hour (45 min) is about $90 or more. Now, Norway has one of the lowest speed limits in Europe (no road faster than 60 mph/100 kmh), but with Germany close by, we have the opportunity to drive fast if we want:

Chapter 11 Category B
Section 11-1. Main objectives for category B
After completing driver training for category B, the learner driver shall possess the
necessary competence to drive a car in a responsible manner.
The learner driver shall possess the knowledge and skills, self-insight and understanding
of risk required to drive in a manner which:
- is safe on the road
- provides proper cooperation with other road users
- promotes traffic flow
- shows consideration for health, the environment and the needs of others
- is in compliance with regulations in force
Section 11-2. Step 1: Course in basic road traffic knowledge
After completing Step 1, the learner driver shall possess the necessary foundation to
benefit properly from continued training.
The learner driver shall have an understanding of traffic and driver training which is
adequate for the learner driver to commence practice driving.
The learner driver shall complete the course in basic road traffic knowledge, see
Chapter 8.
Section 11-3. Step 2: Basic competence with respect to vehicle and driving – category B
After completing Step 2, the learner driver shall possess the necessary foundation to
benefit properly from the traffic training in Step 3.
The learner driver shall possess adequate technical driving skills to be able to transfer
his/her attention from the vehicle to the traffic picture and to cooperate with other road users.
The learner driver shall furthermore assess his/her own skills in using the car and detect any
faults in the car.
The learner driver shall
1. have knowledge of the rules concerning driving licences and driver training
2. have knowledge of the car's design with respect to safety and the environment
3. have knowledge of the owner's and the user's responsibilities with respect to the
vehicle's condition and use, financial liability, sanctions by the authorities and
obligations in the case of an accident
4. have knowledge of human capacity and the demands of traffic
5. be able to make preparations for driving
6. be able to set the vehicle in motion and pull up in varied terrain
7. be able to change gears, accelerate and brake in varied terrain
8. be able to reverse, turn round and park
9. be capable of basic handling of the vehicle in areas with little traffic
10. be able to do a relevant safety check of the car
The learner driver shall, at the conclusion of Step 2, complete an evaluation and guidance
lesson in accordance with Section 7-5.
Section 11-4. Step 3: Traffic training – category B
After completing Step 3, the learner driver shall possess the necessary foundation to
benefit properly from the final training in Step 4.

The learner driver shall be capable of driving in a clear, safe and independent manner in
varied traffic. The learner driver shall furthermore be able to assess his/her own competence
with respect to driving a vehicle in traffic
The learner driver shall
1. be able to explain the road traffic system, groups of road users and conflicts of
interest, and private car use in an environmental perspective
2. be able to explain roads, road markings, signs and other means of regulating traffic
3. be able to explain clear, safe and efficient behaviour on the road and the rules
applicable to car driving
4. be able to acquire information systematically and automatically
5. be able to drive in a decisive manner in residential areas, built-up areas and urban
environments
6. be able to make use of a precise driving technique on high-speed roads
7. be able to drive in an efficient, comfortable, environment-friendly and economical
manner in a varied road environment in proper cooperation with other road users
The learner driver shall complete a safety and skid pan driving course in accordance with
Sections 11-6 and 11-7. The course shall be taken towards the end of the training in Step 3.
As an exception, the course may be taken in conjunction with parts of the final training in
Step 4, see Section 11-5, if this is advantageous to the learner driver. Consideration shall be
given in particular to the total teaching load and the learning benefit to the learner driver when
departing from the general rule.
The learner driver shall, at the conclusion of Step 3, complete an evaluation and guidance
lesson in accordance with Section 7-5.
Section 11-5. Step 4: Final training – category B
After completing Step 4, the learner driver shall possess the necessary competence to drive
a car in accordance with the main objectives.
The learner driver shall have developed willingness to accept responsibility, take
precautions and cooperate in traffic.
The learner driver shall complete a course in safe road driving in accordance with Sections
11-8 and 11-9, and shall furthermore have adequate practice.
Section 11-6. Safety and skid pan driving course – category B
The course comprises four lessons. One lesson is allocated to objectives, expectations,
summing up and reflections jointly with fellow learners and the instructor in the classroom.
One lesson is allocated to securing passengers and load. Each learner driver shall have two
lessons of practice on a skid pan..
During driving on a skid pan, there may be up to two learner drivers in one car. A
maximum of four cars is allowed at each practice station at any one time.
The skid pan and the fee for using it shall be approved by the Public Roads
Administration.
11-7. Objectives of the safety and skid pan driving courses – category B
The learner driver shall, through experience and practice, further develop his/her
competence with respect to behaving in a manner that will prevent accidents. The learner
driver shall learn to secure passengers and goods in a car, and understand how the car's
steering and braking properties are affected by the way the driver drives and the way the car is
equipped.
The learner driver shall

1. know the objectives and organisation of the course, and be conscious of his/her
own expectations and objectives when the course commences
2. understand the importance of securing passengers and load in a car by
a) experiencing how loose objects in a car are affected and acquiring
knowledge of the forces acting on a person in a sudden stop
b) acquiring knowledge of and practice in securing children grown-ups, loads
and objects in a car
3. further develop his/her ability and willingness to make safe speed adjustments and
avoid striking obstacles by
a) experiencing the need for a braking distance from various speeds and on
various surfaces
b) experiencing the capabilities and limitations of an anti-lock braking system
c) practising efficient braking and making use of the road grip in his/her own
lane
d) practising avoiding moving objects by stopping or steering away from them
4. have knowledge of what may cause loss of, and the conditions for regaining,
control of the car when driving round a bend by
a) experiencing the importance of speed when losing and regaining control
b) working with different solutions in situations that may arise on a bend
c) experiencing the importance of a precise driving technique in order to keep
control
d) experiencing how the car's electronic and mechanical safety components
can assist the driver to keep control
5. exchange experience with fellow learner drivers and participate in summing up by
a) describing his/her own experiences from the skid pan training and sharing
them with others
b) assessing his/her own driving skills and strong and weak points as a driver
c) have knowledge of the accident statistics for young, inexperienced car
drivers
Section 11-8. Course in safe road driving – category B
The course comprises thirteen lessons.
The course commences with two classroom lessons devoted to the risks of driving a car.
Each learner driver shall then have five lessons to practice drive on the open road and
overtaking.
The third part consists of four driving lessons in a varied road environment and here each
learner driver shall have at least three practical driving lessons, in addition to planning and
summing up.
The course concludes with two lessons for reflection and summing up in the classroom.
The practical exercises may be performed with a maximum of two learner drivers. The
remainder of the training may be carried out with a maximum of sixteen learner drivers.
Section 11-9. Objectives of course in safe road driving – category B
The learner driver shall, through experience and practice, further develop his/her
competence with respect to behaving in a manner that will prevent accidents. The learner
driver shall develop a capacity for reflection, for seeing the situation from the perspective of
other road users and for choosing ways of driving that imply low risk.
The learner driver shall
1. have an understanding of the risks associated with driving a car by

a) knowing how the most serious accidents are distributed in relation to age, sex
and time
b) explaining the concept of driver proficiency and how it is related to the
demands put on drivers by the road environment
c) discussing the causes of the most common and serious accidents involving
young people and proposing, putting forth arguments for and considering
efficient steps to counteract these causes
d) identifying and describing possible risk factors in a given traffic situation,
explaining the nature of the risk and choosing, describing and arguing in favour
of a desirable behaviour
e) explaining how he/she influences others, and is influenced by them, and being
conscious of his/her individual driving style with a view to risks and the
environment
2. further develop his/her driving competence on the open road and when overtaking
by
a) practising driving on open roads of varying standard with special emphasis
on a precise driving technique on bends
b) working on identifying and describing the road environment, anticipating
possible risk elements and presenting an appropriate future strategy with
emphasis on the road's characteristics, surface condition and the risk of
head-on accidents
c) applying and further developing an environment-friendly and economical
way of driving
d) observing and experiencing situations implying particularly high risks when
entering and/or leaving major roads which require special solutions to
ensure safety.
e) showing appropriate behaviour and exhibiting the will to ensure his/her
own safety as well as that of others when overtaking in the face of
oncoming traffic, when being overtaken and when assessing whether
overtaking is feasible or not.
f) observing and experiencing that overtaking creates difficult situations and
that special hazards need assessing when overtaking.
g) explaining afterwards the lessons learned from this part of the training
3. work on his/her way of driving in a varied road environment by
a) planning the route and with the aid of a map or other road description being
able to describe, explain and state reasons for the various conditions which
may be encountered and considered in the course of the journey.
b) driving independently, covering substantial distances in a changing
environment which varies with respect to road standards and between
typical open road, urban and built-up environments
c) retrospectively reflect on and state the reasons for his/her chosen actions in
a particular situation
4. exchange experiences with fellow learner drivers, develop self-insight,
understanding of risk and the ability to assess his/her own driving competence by
a) processing his/her experiences and encounters, explaining and stating
reasons for decisions, and showing the ability to reflect on and criticise
his/her own driving
b) assessing his/her own strong and weak points as a driver and select areas
with potential for improvement

c) assessing and considering different solutions to a given problem, explaining
his/her opinion and being able to argue in support of it.

http://www.vegvesen.no/forerkort/eng...iver_training_and_test_05_2005.pdf

Tom in NO

Thu May 18, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting Da man (Reply 11):
Really, it was the state park in Balmorehea.

Oops, forgot about that place.....and we gotta keep the caverns at Sonora in mind, as well  wink .

Tom at MSY

FDXmech

Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 am

I'm listening to Marty Robbins "El Paso" right now.

If West Texans wants to drive 80 send em up here to drive the New Jersey Turnpike. Smile

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
Just one more example that people like to bitch about high gas prices but don't really want to do anything to reduce consumption

I disagree. I don't like high gas prices but it's my choice to moderate my speed to 65 to conserve. And I do. If I lived in West Texas with its wide open spaces 80 seems a reasonable request. Hell, if 65 is legal in NJ, 80 shouldn't be a problem in West Texas.
You're only as good as your last departure.

satx

Thu May 18, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 44):
Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
Just one more example that people like to bitch about high gas prices but don't really want to do anything to reduce consumption

I disagree. I don't like high gas prices but it's my choice to moderate my speed to 65 to conserve. And I do. If I lived in West Texas with its wide open spaces 80 seems a reasonable request. Hell, if 65 is legal in NJ, 80 shouldn't be a problem in West Texas.

You claim you disagree, but you have presented nothing that backs up your view. In fact, you've only inadvertently supported his view even further by backing the move to higher speed limits. We all pay the price for increased demand the next time we visit the pump, regardless if the demand is coming from us or our neighbor.

FDXmech

Thu May 18, 2006 1:55 am

I don't need you to show people I'm an idiot, I can do it myself. Smile

I believe in conservation especially in the cause that it's our best way of controlling the price of gas at the pump at this time. And it works.

But I also believe West Texas is a huge expanse of open land that a higher limit can apply. Is West Texas (Wyoming, Utah, etc) special? Yeah, I think it is. My romantic ideal of America perhaps.

I might never see West Texas but like the idea the rules are different in the "Old Wild West". A personal thing I know but important to me nonetheless.

I also believe that driving slower increases mileage but wouldn't want to return to 55MPH. 65 is good on the Parkway or NJ Turnpike. And again, increasing my mileage is a personal challenge and goal.

My opinion, I know, is full of contradictions. But that's like most things in life, right?
You're only as good as your last departure.

AC773

Thu May 18, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 37):
It was a mere ticket and not a felony arrest?

I quoted Top Gear there, so I don't know what the precise circumstances were, though I would imagine the person got arrested. IIRC, anything more than double the speed limit gives you a guaranteed ride in a squad car. I'm guessing they meant that it was the highest speed anyone's been pulled over for.

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

TheSonntag

Thu May 18, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 36):
Add to that list that Germans are generally great on moving out of your way with a slight flash of high beams

Which, in fact, is a criminal offense. So this can be a very expensive behaviour...

Quoting SATX (Reply 37):
90% of the Americans who complain about the price of gas

A good car uses less fuel at 120 mph than a SUV at 60mph...

itsjustme

Thu May 18, 2006 10:46 am

I say jack it up to whatever a persons vehicle can handle.

Ah yes, American arrogance at it's finest.