LTU932
Topic Author

Montenegro Votes For Its Independence Today

Sun May 21, 2006 4:38 pm

As some of you (most of all Aleksandar and Joker) know, Montenegro has called for a Referendum today to decide if they will stay united with Serbia or if they will become independent. Here a short excert of an article from today:

PODGORICA, Serbia and Montenegro (Reuters) - Montenegrins began voting on Sunday in an independence referendum which could dissolve their union with Serbia and make the small Adriatic republic Europe's newest state.

Queues formed early at polling stations in downtown Podgorica, the provincial-looking capital of the mountainous state, with elderly men dressed in their Sunday best filling in the pink voting slips which ask simply: "Do you want Montenegro to be an independent state?" Answer yes or no.

There was little doubt ahead of the ballot that the pro-independence camp would emerge stronger by the time polls close at 9 p.m. (1900 GMT), but the question is whether it can muster the 55 percent majority needed for a clear win.

The union of Serbia-Montenegro, the last vestige of the former Yugoslavia, was created in 2003, but the two southern Slav cousins have been together in some form of joint state for almost a century.

Full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060521/wl_nm/serbiamontenegro_vote_dc_3

What is your opinion on the possible independence of Montenegro from Serbia?

JoKeR

RE: Montenegro Votes For Its Independence Today

Sun May 21, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Thread starter):

Serbia and Montenegro have been in a very loose federation for two years now and do not share the same currency, economic policies, police etc. The only thing in common is the President of the SCG federation - a Montenegrin, army and foreign affairs.

I for one hope that they do vote for independence as they have been a burden on our budget and tend to send all their corrupt cronies to highly paid top jobs in Belgrade. I hope that finally Serbia gets its independence from Montenegro, not the other way 'round Big grin

Let 'em go I say, srecan vam put djetici!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Sun May 21, 2006 8:34 pm

most of all Aleksandar and Joker

I heard it while I was drinking a coffee today. I might even listen to official results tonight. It might be more fun than yesterday's Eurosong.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 1):
Serbia and Montenegro have been in a very loose federation for two years now

Let's be honest. It is a sad excuse of a country which simply doesn't exist. For several years now, there is a border crossing, we have two different currencies (Dinar in Serbia and Euro in Montenegro) and in practice, there is no country whatsoever.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 1):
Let 'em go

I can't influence other's choice. If they want to go, let them go.

Like I've said, it's their choice. What I don't like is the behaviour of their PM (in fact, political big boss) who used to be Milosevic's ally and, in fact, that is how he got to power in first place. I don't think he values democracy as much as he claims he does.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

QANTASforever

Sun May 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Be interesting to see the constitutional arrangements made by Montenegro. What sort of a Presidency will it have (assuming the independents win the referendum)?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Derico

Mon May 22, 2006 12:51 am

Wow, I didn't know this was happening today. So apparently, if Montenegro chooses independence, Serbia and Europe will recognized it??

I have a serbian-argentine friend, I may have to call him and see what he thinks~!
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 4):
if Montenegro chooses independence, Serbia and Europe will recognized it??

Yes, definitely.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 4):
if Montenegro chooses independence, Serbia and Europe will recognized it??

Of course we will.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

TripleDelta
Crew

Mon May 22, 2006 4:48 am

So far, as of 7:30 PM UTC, news reports on various Croatian news portals report a record turnout of 75-80% (depending on the source). The first preliminary results were due to appear at around 7 PM UTC (9 PM local), but due to the understandable lag in the media, there's no new info here yet.

EDIT: just heard on RTCG (Montenegro TV station) that the preliminary results show a 56.3% for independent Montenegro (surpassing the required 55%), but that newer and more accurate results will be obtained in 30 mins to half an hour.

[Edited 2006-05-21 21:54:24]
No plane, no gain.

Checo77

Mon May 22, 2006 5:11 am

Follow the example of Czechoslovakia and better split up!!! Maybe you can someday even fight for independence, but better take this example and let the path of peace make its way.
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 5:12 am

56.3% voted for independence, Aleksandre, may I congratulate you on the soverign and idependent Republic of Serbia! Big grin

Kafa, čaj, šraf?

TripleDelta
Crew

Mon May 22, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 9):
56.3% voted for independence

And with a, now official, turnout of 86.7% as of 8:30 PM local when the voting stopped. I wish a lot of luck to both countries now and hope both get off to a good start!

And now, for the long-awaited-typical-a.net-question: what will be Montenegro's new ICAO location indicator now?  biggrin   biggrin 
No plane, no gain.

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 10):
And with a, now official, turnout of 86.7% as of 8:30 PM local when the voting stopped. I wish a lot of luck to both countries now and hope both get off to a good start!

Well thank you, I am absolutely thrilled with the outcome!

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 10):
And now, for the long-awaited-typical-a.net-question: what will be Montenegro's new ICAO location indicator now?

I think the "CG" prefix has been marked for adoption by Montenegro.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

TripleDelta
Crew

Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 11):
I think the "CG" prefix has been marked for adoption by Montenegro.

What about the airport codes? So far they have been, for example, LYPG. What will they now be? C is used by Cyprus, M by Malta, G by Greece so the people of Montenegro will have to be content with something silly like us with our D, Slovenia with its J or BiH with its Q .

[Edited 2006-05-21 22:25:49]
No plane, no gain.

Banco

Mon May 22, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 1):
I for one hope that they do vote for independence as they have been a burden on our budget and tend to send all their corrupt cronies to highly paid top jobs in Belgrade.

Hmm. Substitute "London" for Belgrade and this sounds suspiciously like Scotland...  duck 

What will be interesting is to see how the EU reacts in terms of accession negotiations, given that Montenegro is relatively untainted by issues such as the non-arrest of Mladic and so forth.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

David L

Mon May 22, 2006 5:50 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 13):
Hmm. Substitute "London" for Belgrade and this sounds suspiciously like Scotland...

biggrin 

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 5:51 am

given that Montenegro is relatively untainted by issues such as the non-arrest of Mladic and so forth.

Hmmm, correction here, this tiny new state gave us the displeasure of Milosevic; a Monenegrin, and also Karadzic who is presumed to be hiding in Montenegro.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 9):
Aleksandre, may I congratulate you on the soverign and idependent Republic of Serbia!

Oh thank you. My congratulations to you as well Big grin
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Banco

Mon May 22, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 15):
Hmmm, correction here, this tiny new state gave us the displeasure of Milosevic; a Monenegrin, and also Karadzic who is presumed to be hiding in Montenegro.

I accept that, but is it not fair to say that the EU's displeasure recently has been directed at Serbia rather more than Montenegro?

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 17):
I accept that, but is it not fair to say that the EU's displeasure recently has been directed at Serbia rather more than Montenegro?

Very true.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

JGPH1A

Mon May 22, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 3):
Be interesting to see the constitutional arrangements made by Montenegro. What sort of a Presidency will it have (assuming the independents win the referendum)?

They are planning to join the Commonwealth, and will request the Queen to be their head of state

:-P  Silly

Good luck to Montenegro, lets hope the divorce from Serbia is amicable.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 6:05 am

Substitute "London" for Belgrade and this sounds suspiciously like Scotland...

I guess you didn't know that, but the closest nation to Scots by mentality are Montenegrins.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 15):
also Karadzic who is presumed to be hiding in Montenegro.

And everybody is so damn quiet about it.  Sad
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):
lets hope the divorce from Serbia is amicable.

There's no other way but amicable now. After all, this is a wish of people of Montenegro
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

BCNGRO

Mon May 22, 2006 6:10 am

Congratulations Montenegrians! I hope you join the EU soon!  Wink

You are lucky you had the chance to vote for your independence. Many people in Catalonia envy you today. I hope independence referendums are legal in Spain some day and we can join the EU as an independent state too.
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Banco

Mon May 22, 2006 6:11 am

We've all overlooked perhaps the most critical part of this, which is when this site is going to separate Serbia and Montenegro as countries to pick from the list. I mean, talk about slow....  Wink

JGPH1A

Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
mean, talk about slow....

Tell me about it - I believe they still list "Pangaea" as a choice.  Smile

Although that may be because Andy complained, he wanted the flag from his birthplace  Silly
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

JoKeR

Mon May 22, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
We've all overlooked perhaps the most critical part of this, which is when this site is going to separate Serbia and Montenegro as countries to pick from the list. I mean, talk about slow....

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
Tell me about it - I believe they still list "Pangaea" as a choice.

Although that may be because Andy complained, he wanted the flag from his birthplace

:D Big grin Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

EZEIZA

Mon May 22, 2006 6:37 am

So it finally happened! wow! I guess congrats are in place for montenegrins and for the Serbs that agree with a completely independant Serbia!
I know this is not that important, but ... during the World Cup nex t month, how will hte team be called??? It can't SCG, but neither can it be separate since I understand there are players from both countries (wow, still feels wierd to call them countries Big grin ).
In any case, as some of you know, I spent some time in Montenegro a couple of years ago writing a report. The magazine publication was on LÉxpress, but the online version is still around if you are interested. Note that most information was based on the people interviewed by myself and my colleagues, and the final report was written by a Montenegrin journalist so if you don't agree with something don't flame me!  Wink

here is the link:
http://www.winne.com/montenegro2/montenegro.html
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 26):
during the World Cup nex t month, how will hte team be called??? I

The last thing I heard is that everything will remian the same for the World Cup. Although results of referendum show the new situation, it will take some time for Montenegro to be officially recognized and there are only weeks until the show in Germany begins.

Oh, EZEZA, I have a sad news for you. In June, I will have to hate everything Argentinian for one day (or 90 minutes)  Silly
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

EZEIZA

Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 27):
Oh, EZEZA, I have a sad news for you. In June, I will have to hate everything Argentinian for one day (or 90 minutes)

Nema Problema! (bad spelling?)
In fact, I'm 100% Italian so I will take it personally if you play Italy  Wink
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Aleksandar

Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 28):
bad spelling

Actually, perfect spelling  bigthumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

yak42

Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 am

OMG Serbia has a double headed eagle on a red background too! Must be a really important symbol around there.

TIA

Mon May 22, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting YAK42 (Reply 30):
OMG Serbia has a double headed eagle on a red background too! Must be a really important symbol around there.

Yes, comes from Byzantine times AFAIK.

QANTASforever

Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 am

Congratulations to the world's "newest" country!!

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):
They are planning to join the Commonwealth, and will request the Queen to be their head of state

You know, there are some here that would seriously propose such a thing. Some of whom have replied above....

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Checo77

Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 am

Congratulation to BOTH new countries!!!

But I have one question: How will you play in the World Cup in Germany where you team is still playing like "Serbia and Montenegro" ??

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

JGPH1A

Tue May 23, 2006 1:21 am

I have a moral question. I flew on a JAT aircraft a couple of years back, and in true anorak fashion duly logged the fact in my logbook, together with the fact that I have flown on an aircraft registered in "Serbia and Montenegro" as was then.

My question is - does that still count ? Or do I have to change the entry to read "Serbia" and wait until I fly on an aircraft registered in Montenegro before I can say I've flown on an aircraft from Montenegro ?

One for Aristotle, I reckon !

P.S. I have the same dilemma about Namibia. I flew on aircraft registered in Namibia (under the South African reg code ZS), because Namibia was still owned and operated by South Africa at the time (legally or otherwise, that is a matter for the lawyers). I have yet to fly on aircraft registered in Namibia (V5 now) - so does that actually count ?

Banco

Tue May 23, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 34):

The answer is clear and unambiguous:

Get help.

Wink

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 33):
How will you play in the World Cup in Germany where you team is still playing like "Serbia and Montenegro" ??

yes 

I flew on a JAT aircraft a couple of years back

And you survived? wink 

does that still count ?

Why not. At the time you flew, the country existed. Would it change much if you flew CSA in 1974?
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

rootsair

Tue May 23, 2006 1:35 am

TWO NEW COUNTRIES . BTW wonder if montenegro football federation will be able to join the next Eurocup qualifying round or if they will stil lcompete 2 more years as Serbia and Montenegro

btw wonder what's up with Eastern european countires having two headed eagles on their coat of arms

[Edited 2006-05-22 18:36:27]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
Get help.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JGPH1A

Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 36):
And you survived?

Only just - everyone on board including the crew smoked like chimneys from gate to gate, so I arrived in BEG with advanced emphyzema and smelling like a kipper (which, contrary to what Banco or Cornish might libellously aver, is not my natural state).

Still, the ticket was free, so I can't complain, and they did upgrade us on the way back.

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 37):

First, I have a question. When will I be able to get this flag on my profile?

BTW wonder if montenegro football federation will be able to join the next Eurocup

I guess they will be able to do so. The latest I've heard is that this World Cup is the last official competition for Serbia and Montenegro.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

rootsair

Tue May 23, 2006 1:44 am

Has a date already been fixed for the official independence ?

Will Kosovo be next on the list for independence? Long time I haven't head about that
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 39):
everyone on board including the crew smoked like chimneys

Welcome to Serbia, the land of free smokers  bigthumbsup  . I know JAT is not very good now, but I do hope you enjoyed in Belgrade.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 41):
Has a date already been fixed for the official independence ?

I have no idea.

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 41):
Will Kosovo be next on the list for independence?

Negotiations are going on right now.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JGPH1A

Tue May 23, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 42):
I know JAT is not very good now, but I do hope you enjoyed in Belgrade.

I did - I was there for a meeting with JAT, and they were all really nice (they smoked a lot too, and we were in a small office, so I was coughing for a week afterwards. They did ask if I minded them smoking, but of course as a guest, you can't really object, so I suffered in silence (bar the odd hacking wheeze). But BEG was great, got to walk round the old part of the city, and the castle, and had a nice dinner - saw the bomb holes in the TV building too (scary !).

Banco

Tue May 23, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 39):
smelling like a kipper (which, contrary to what Banco or Cornish might libellously aver, is not my natural state).

I've never said it was natural....  yuck 

ME AVN FAN

Tue May 23, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 32):

well, that at least would be something special and amusing ! something out of the usual pattern, in which an aging 80plus years old former political leader becomes state-president and a greying 40years old with the air of a 70years old and the body-movements of a 25 years old becomes prime-minister.

two headed eagles on their coat of arms

what I find more amazing is the point that both coats of arms have crowns on top !

Aleksandar

Tue May 23, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 46):
I find more amazing is the point that both coats of arms have crowns on top !

Both Serbia and Montenegro were monarchies, so there is no surprise there.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JoKeR

Tue May 23, 2006 2:56 am

I wonder if JAT will now finally drop this hideous three letter "thing" and be renamed Serbian Airlines or something more relevant. Why is it that its always us who keep the Yugo-nostalgia.

Mr Ilic, its the right thing to do!
:D
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Asturias

Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 22):
You are lucky you had the chance to vote for your independence. Many people in Catalonia envy you today. I hope independence referendums are legal in Spain some day and we can join the EU as an independent state too.

Haha you Catalans! Big grin

We have to put up with you so you can put up with us  cheerful 

Seriously, congratulations to the soon to be seperate states of Serbia and Montenegro and I hope they join the UE soon.

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly