columba

The Comeback Of Al Gore Will He Try It Again?

Sun May 21, 2006 9:40 pm

Al Gore is back -totally relaxed- and with a mission:
His fight against global warming. He is producing it like an election campagne.
Will the "eco-crusader" Gore be followed by the Presidential Candidate Gore in 2008 ?
Al Gore's film An Inconvenient Truth will be released on May 26.
Link in German:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,417034,00.html
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

ltbewr

RE: The Comeback Of Al Gore Will He Try It Again?

Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 pm

There is growing interest and encouagement by moderate progressives and some liberals for Gore to run in 2008. Wether he will do so is still in his power to make. Many believe he is a reasoned moderate they can accept. He is clearly qualified for the job. Many feel he got screwed in 2000 and believe he would have been far better off than Bush. There is a preception that he is a honorable man and that he isn't as stiff or formal in his personality. This movie, other appearances and even a recent appearance on 'Saturday Night Live' playing himself if he had won the Presidency in a parallel universe has helped his perception by many. He comes off as serious, responsible, knowlegable and well able to carry out the demands of the Presidency. He leadership on the global warming issue is something of concern and shows his grasp of an important issue now.
There are also doubts as to Sen. Clinton. While she seems to be the lead canidate by default, there are fears not only of a woman as President, but that Bill would be back in the White House and didn't do enough as his wife to keep him in line. She would also be a huge target by the Republican canidate for those issues and many other alleged scandels before Bill Clinton became President and during his Presidency. She also has mixed policy beliefs. She voted for the Iraq war, yet perceived in supporting no restrictions on Abortion. That hurts here creditabilty with many moderates and liberals in the party and hurts her chances of winning the Presidency.

ANCFlyer

Sun May 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Gore won't run.

And if his only position thus far is on Global Warming, why waste his time. Perhaps he's testing the water.

Regardless, he's less viable a Candidate for the Dems than Hillary . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TedTAce

Mon May 22, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Gore won't run.

I wouldn't put money on this. I think he's ready to bitch slap the Clintons; and that would make for mass appeal.

Not so fast. You gotta remember there are a lot of Dem's who are in the 'anyone but Hillary' camp. If I was stupid enough to still consider myself a Dem; it's a camp I'd be a VERY proud member of. Hillary is a toxic reminder of the Gingrich partisian era. I think the Country is over it. She will be the ONLY reason the Dems fail when getting the presidency in '08 should be shooting fish in a barrell.

And if his only position thus far is on Global Warming, why waste his time.

It's his opus. If there is one thing Gore has been somewhat consistent on it's the environment and his desire to protect it.Right now he happens to have a movie to sell, and if it happens to make him look smarter about what is going on in this world (political issues aside) then all the other candidates; how will that possibly hurt? I think with the oil company backlash brewing, it'd be foolish to understimate the power of an eco platform president. That is until the unions realize how many jobs they will/may loose.

Perhaps he's testing the water.

No, Really?  Wink
This space intentionally left blank

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 12:19 am

ANC writing off yet another Democrat as nothing but yesterday's worthless news? No surprise there.

Gore will not run again by his own admission. Who can blame him? I wouldn't want to go through losing a race once, let alone twice, either.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

TedTAce

Mon May 22, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 4):
I wouldn't want to go through losing a race once, let alone twice, either.

A) The 3rd time was a charm for Regan.
B) Why is Gore still fundraising?

AerospaceFan

Mon May 22, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 5):

The thing about Ronald Reagan is that he appealed to a core constituency with ideas that have long held sway in American politics -- small government and individual initiative.

Al Gore, on the other hand, appeals to environmentalists and just about no-one else. He could run, but he'd lose.

What the Democrats need is someone with charm and pizazz -- two words that were inadvertently excised from the lexicon of Al Gore.
What's fair is fair.

maury

Mon May 22, 2006 12:36 am

It's a lot harder to support a guy who favors kinda-hard-to-grok concepts like "saving the planet" than one who staunchly leads the fight for lower taxes for the rich, and border walls: thinking hurts...and our right-wing friends don't like painful thoughts. So Al Gore quits politics and makes movies, and the GOPers park their SUVs, snuggle down in the flag to watch a little Fox News, and wad their panties over multi-lingual ATM machines.

AerospaceFan

Mon May 22, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting Maury (Reply 7):
It's a lot harder to support a guy who favors kinda-hard-to-grok concepts like "saving the planet" than one who staunchly leads the fight for lower taxes for the rich, and border walls: thinking hurts...and our right-wing friends don't like painful thoughts.

Sometimes I think that if the Democrats could resurrect the ghost of JFK, he could actually win, as long as he wasn't too creepy.

In other words, the Democrats need to figure out why bashing Bush, saying that America is losing all around the world, hinting broadly at raising taxes, appealing to foreigners and special interest groups, pushing gay marriage, flying lead balloons, and the like, aren't exactly selling like underground Paris Hilton videos with Main Street America, and get with the program to give us someone we could stomach voting for.

It remains to be seen whether Hillary Clinton can steal enough ideas of the center-right to achieve the goal of restoring Bill to the White House.

[Edited 2006-05-21 17:42:01]
What's fair is fair.

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 12:42 am

A) You're talking about primaries, not the main event!
B) I haven't heard that he's fundrasing for a run for president. Care to explain?

maury

Mon May 22, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 8):
It remains to be seen whether Hillary Clinton can steal enough ideas of the center-right to actually win.

Mmm! Rich stuff. Ditto for McCain, although his tactic seems to be to steal ideas from Jerry Falwell and his pals...you know, appeal to the GOP mainstream. McCain/Santorum in '08! No? Brownback...Warner...? At least we can be sure all of their campaign literature would be printed in English exclusively...right?  Smile

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 12:58 am

In other words, the Democrats need to figure out why bashing Bush, saying that America is losing all around the world, hinting broadly at raising taxes, appealing to foreigners and special interest groups, pushing gay marriage, flying lead balloons, and the like, aren't exactly selling like underground Paris Hilton videos with Main Street America, and get with the program to give us someone we could stomach voting for.

Is it me or is the right wings platform is saying the Dems have no platform?

It must be me. Judging by the record of the present administration, they MUST be doing a bang up job.  Yeah sure
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

Newark777

Mon May 22, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 11):

It's you.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 1:12 am

get with the program to give us someone we could stomach voting for.

Like Clinton? Actually, didn't Clinton win primarily because Bush 41 gave the "no more taxes" speech? Then there was Bob Dole, but hell, he made Al Gore look fun and easy going.

All America really wants for a president is a folksy arrogant prick from the South and it's a done deal. After Clinton we nominated another Southerner and almost won, but I guess he just wasn't enough of a folksy jerk to seal the deal. Then we picked a relatively mild mannered Northerner and a bunch of Southerners and Mid-Westerners shot him down in no time. You have to be a real attack-minded dirty politician or else some 'swiftboat veterans for lies' group will come along to chew you up and spit you out like yesterday's sushi. The domestic news media won't bother to dig deep and will instead just present the truth and the lies as though they were both legitimate views of the same issue. Hopefully we'll remember that this time around.

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 12):

It's you.

Harry

If the GOP had a real platform (outside of sending their whipping boy from AZ to go kiss a few more boots) you'd probably have spelled it out by now. But, seeing as how they have no platform, other than begging for forgiveness, you posted nothing but ironic fluff. Good show!

maury

Mon May 22, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 13):
All America really wants for a president is a folksy arrogant prick from the South and it's a done deal.

Oh dear...now the Jebbies will come a-swarming out of their gated communities...rebel flags discreetly tucked away for the time being...

But it *could* be fun--a nasty primary fight between McCain and Jeb, then a convention compromise on some scary far-right extremist who only looks electable from within the convention hall...oh my God, it's 1964 again! AuH2O!  Smile

Newark777

Mon May 22, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 14):

If the GOP had a real platform (outside of sending their whipping boy from AZ to go kiss a few more boots) you'd probably have spelled it out by now. But, seeing as how they have no platform, other than begging for forgiveness, you posted nothing but ironic fluff. Good show!

So I see the Democratic platform is now, "The Republicans keep reminding us that we have no platform, therefore they must have no platform."

That's probably the worst comeback in the books.

I'm still waiting to hear what the Democratic platform is.

Harry

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 16):
I'm still waiting to hear what the Democratic platform is.

No no, yours first. I insist. After all, yours is the party that 'really' has one right?

How's that working out for ya?  Wink

deltagator

Mon May 22, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 13):
All America really wants for a president is a folksy arrogant prick from the South and it's a done deal. After Clinton we nominated another Southerner and almost won,

If you consider Al Gore a Southerner based on his home state of Tennessee you're wrong. Gore has lived almost his entire life in Washington and is far from being anything remotely resembling a Southerner. He couldn't even win his home state in the 2000 election.

He might run again because he's delusional enough to believe the family prophecies that he was born to be President one day. As with 2000 he'd lose again, most likely in the primaries, but he'd lose.

And if his only position thus far is on Global Warming

Well, he also claims he invented the Internet.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 18):
If you consider Al Gore a Southerner based on his home state of Tennessee you're wrong. Gore has lived almost his entire life in Washington and is far from being anything remotely resembling a Southerner.

Is that anything like the Northeast, Ivy League, aristocrat, former male cheerleader, 'cowboy' who's afraid of horses who is occupying 1600 Pennsylvania at this moment? Just checkin'...

*sigh* Al Gore created, sponsored, and pushed for the bill that brought the system that the government and military was using to convey information to the public. We now call that the internet.

As if you right wingers aren't bad enuff believing your own lies, but to take it a step further, you don't believe the truth.

Newark777

Mon May 22, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 19):

Is that anything like the Northeast, Ivy League, aristocrat, former male cheerleader, 'cowboy' who's afraid of horses who is occupying 1600 Pennsylvania at this moment? Just checkin'...

Someone sounds bitter.

As if you right wingers aren't bad enuff believing your own lies, but to take it a step further, you don't believe the truth.

Saying he invented the internet is a travesty to all the engineers and computer scientists who actually did.

Harry

KFLLCFII

Mon May 22, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Columba (Thread starter):
Will the "eco-crusader" Gore be followed by the Presidential Candidate Gore in 2008 ?

Over the Media's dead bodies...

They've got far too much already invested in Hillary to give him the time of day.

Gore won't run.

He'll try, but see above. Hell, I wouldn't even rule out an attempt by Dean again at this point. Something tells me he still hurts deeply inside, like a figure skater who after four years of non-stop training, sprains an ankle during the last practice before the main event and can't compete. Yes, you all remember what I'm referring to  Wink

Quoting Maury (Reply 10):
At least we can be sure all of their campaign literature would be printed in English exclusively...right?

Sure, we'd gladly take the English-only community over convicted felons  Yeah sure

Oh right...At this point, you'll take what you can get  Wink

Quoting Maury (Reply 7):
and our right-wing friends don't like painful thoughts.

You're right...Why expend so much energy finding a viable candidate when our left-wing friends lose the elections for themselves anyway?  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 20):
Someone sounds bitter.

That's the best you can do huh? When faced with your own hypocrisy, that's what you resort to. Typical right winger.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 20):
Saying he invented the internet is a travesty to all the engineers and computer scientists who actually did.

It wasn't the internet then. He led the way in bringing it to the general population, which developed into the internet that's allowing me to blow you out of the water today.  

Just do a quick search to read about all this on yahoo or google, I'm sure there's some irony in that. Or just keep repeating what you've been told, ignorance is bliss.

[Edited 2006-05-21 21:02:37]

deltagator

Mon May 22, 2006 4:10 am

that anything like the Northeast, Ivy League, aristocrat, former male cheerleader, 'cowboy' who's afraid of horses who is occupying 1600 Pennsylvania at this moment? Just checkin'...

You'll get no diagreement from me here but to call Al Gore a Southerner is a joke as much as Dubya is a real cowboy.

*sigh* Al Gore created, sponsored, and pushed for the bill that brought the system that the government and military was using to convey information to the public. We now call that the internet.

He says he invented the Internet in a speech and I'm calling BS on it. He may have introduced legislation to allow public access but he in no way did anything to invent it and him saying so is an outright lie and slap in the face to the engineers who did create it. Where is any truth he created it? Pony that up to me and I'll retract the statement. You can't do it so I won't retract it.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 23):

You'll get no diagreement from me here but to call Al Gore a Southerner is a joke as much as Dubya is a real cowboy.

Fair enough, but down here in Texas they consider Bush one of our own. Talk like a dumbass cowboy while never admitting any mistakes and other dumbass cowboys will like you just fine. Al Gore may not be a true Southerner but he didn't seem to anger/scare Southerners nearly as much as a true Northerner like Kerry does.

He says he invented the Internet in a speech and I'm calling BS on it.

I'm calling BS on your view that he truly believed he had invented the Internet. Nobody in their right mind would believe that Al Gore once thought he had invented the internet. Oh wait, maybe I should have used the term "correct mind".

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 4:39 am

Fair enuff...

He says he invented the Internet in a speech and I'm calling BS on it. He may have introduced legislation to allow public access but he in no way did anything to invent it and him saying so is an outright lie and slap in the face to the engineers who did create it. Where is any truth he created it? Pony that up to me and I'll retract the statement. You can't do it so I won't retract it.

His quote:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

No where does that imply that he 'created' the software or came up with the concept, or did everything himself. That idea was made by right wingers that need to put a label on everything.

In this argument, there is a fundamental difference between 'creation' and 'invention'. No, the internet was not his brain child, nor did he claim it was. He had the forsight to recognize this systems application in public life and championed it's usage, and gee, look what happened, it's changed the way we live.

More to the point, the people that created it for the military and government have absolutely no beef w/ his claim. The only people that made a fuss are right wingers. Indeed this was a benign statement until the RNC got a hold of it and turned it into something it was not.

To make him into a fool and not give him significant credit for his early recognition of the importance of what has become the internet is the real slap in the face.

[Edited 2006-05-21 21:44:50]

mrmeangenes

Mon May 22, 2006 5:23 am

I did some thinking about Al Gore back in January...

http://mrmeangenesnews.blogspot.com/...ore-nevermore-al-gore-who-won.html

Guess I'll have to apologize in advance to the "Friends of Al Gore" : all 5 of them.  Yeah sure  Silly  Silly
gene

deltagator

Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 25):
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Sounds like he said "created" to me.

No where does that imply that he 'created' the software or came up with the concept, or did everything himself.

He says he created it. There is no implied meaning there at all.

In this argument, there is a fundamental difference between 'creation' and 'invention'.

Would you like to debate the definition of "is" while we are at it?

The fact reamins he said I created the Internet. It was an incorrect statement. Did he help champion what we now call the Internet? Absolutely, but he never did anything to create it though his words can be construed as such.

B777-700

Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 26):
Guess I'll have to apologize in advance to the "Friends of Al Gore" : all 5 of them.

If those 5 voted for him in 2000, then how many voted for Bush? 4?  Wink

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 27):
Would you like to debate the definition of "is" while we are at it?

Ah yes, invoke Clinton. I should have known better than to engage in an intellectual battle with a right winger. Their whole argument can break down into a word association game: Gore = crazy, Clinton = immoral, Kennedy = drunk, and so on.

Look my friend, if you don't want to look into it any more than what you've been told to believe, be my guest. Anything that keeps you from that painful feeling called thinking.

mrmeangenes

Mon May 22, 2006 6:43 am

B77700 : I'm such a "right-winger" I voted Clinton Gore the 1st term -but got disenchanted by the 2nd, and voted for Nader.

I've never been much of a "party" loyalist,as I prefer to vote for the best candidate, or, failing that, the one that offends me least.

Al Gore ? Fuhgeddaboudit !
gene

halls120

Mon May 22, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
Not so fast. You gotta remember there are a lot of Dem's who are in the 'anyone but Hillary' camp. If I was stupid enough to still consider myself a Dem; it's a camp I'd be a VERY proud member of.

A very good friend of mine is a die-hard democrat. He took time off from work - unpaid - to work for Kerry. He told me not too long ago that it would be suicidal for the democrats to nominate Hillary.

I'm not so sure I agree with him. If he stays on his present trajectory, Bush is going to make it vitually impossible for any republican to win in 2008. Leaving the door open for a moderate democrat to sweep the field. And since Hillary starts out from a position of support from all the Clintonistas who thought his administration was Camelot II, coupled with her brillant record as a senator appearing to move to the middle, she has to be considered the favorite.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

mrmeangenes

Mon May 22, 2006 8:26 am

I'm sorry, but to call Clinton's record as a senator "brilliant" is a wee bit over the top ! She did manage to snare some federal pork for her upstate constituents,and to get her face in front of every camera not already being hogged by Charles Schumer; but beyond that ???

She would be a very interesting Presidential candidate, notwithstanding, and might actually turn out to be like her fictitious counterpart on "Commander in Chief" - for good or evil.( Barack Obama might be a good running mate.)

Truthfully, I haven't seen anyone from the other side of the aisle who looks like suitable presidential material. McCain is (IMHO) a bit scary,and most of the other prominent party members give the impression of being uninspired party hacks.
gene

Pope

Mon May 22, 2006 8:31 am

HRC is a net zero gain for the democrats. What they gain on the far left they lose towards the middle. Remember, it's about electoral math. I've yet to see anything that would support the notion that HRC has the ability to win new, previously GOP states. For her to win big in CA does nothing to help the Democrats win the White House because CA is already a blue state.

I've been saying this for 2 years now, HRC is very vulnerable in NY State. Dems have carried NY for the past 5 presidential elections by about 1.5M net votes. However, they've carried the 5 counties around NYC by almost 3M net votes, meaning that they've lost most of the rest of the state pretty solidly.

The key strategy to defeat the Democrats in 2008 has to be to find someone who could lose NYC by less than 1.5M net votes. If the Dems don't carry NY nothing else matters because the number of electoral votes it brings.

Of the people in GOP contention, who do you think could do pretty well in NYC? Does the name Rudy ring a bell?

That being said, nothing we can say today really matters because so much can change so quickly in politics. Remember the summer of 1991? Who would have thought that then President GHWB wouldn't have cruised to re-election after the GWI victory?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

halls120

Mon May 22, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 31):
I'm sorry, but to call Clinton's record as a senator "brilliant" is a wee bit over the top ! She did manage to snare some federal pork for her upstate constituents,and to get her face in front of every camera not already being hogged by Charles Schumer; but beyond that

What I should have said is that her successful efforts to make herself a centrist - when she is nothing of the sort - are brilliant. She has made herself look more moderate than her fellow New Yorker, and has people actually believing she is a centrist.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

deltagator

Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 24):
Al Gore may not be a true Southerner but he didn't seem to anger/scare Southerners nearly as much as a true Northerner like Kerry does.

He may not have scared them as much as Kerry but they still didn't vote for him, not even in his home state. He should just fade away and go dance with Tipper.

Quoting SATX (Reply 24):
I'm calling BS on your view that he truly believed he had invented the Internet. Nobody in their right mind would believe that Al Gore once thought he had invented the internet. Oh wait, maybe I should have used the term "correct mind".

His speech said he 'created' the Internet. I'm smart enough (Gasp! A conservative who can think!) to know he didn't create it. I'm also smart enough to realize that it was a bad choice of words from a bad candidate but then that is par for the course from Gore. He tried to snowball the public and he got called out on it for the farce that the satement was and still remains.

mrmeangenes

Mon May 22, 2006 9:22 am

You've got a good point there: she's very good at "role playing" !

Going back to Pope's comment: Guiliani might be a contender-but he has a certain amount of "baggage" that got overlooked after 9/11: mainly, it would seem, in the form of corrupt friends.

He plays at being conservative, but is pretty much a "big government" kind of guy.

All of that stuff would come out if he were to file, as he has a HUGE number of enemies in the NYC media. ( He had the temerity to back some of them down when they got rowdy, and he actually made some of them look foolish to their own viewers: unforgiveable in NYC !)
gene

satx

Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 34):
I'm also smart enough to realize that it was a bad choice of words from a bad candidate but then that is par for the course from Gore.

Look, I have a whole year's worth of "Bushisms", with equally (if not infinitely more) absurd comments for each and every day of the calendar. If you can label Gore a bad candidate simply as a result of one or a handful of silly comments then how do you explain the hundreds of utterly stupid comments Bush has made, both as a candidate and as the leader of the free world? No matter how much you hold the comment about the internet against Gore, it just sets the bar even higher for Bush. Kerry may not have been much/any smarter than Bush, but he at least was capable enough to use proper English when he spoke.

Although a naive hick might jump all over a comment like "I voted for it before I voted against it" the phrase is still legitimate English and anyone who understands how bills are passed in this country could easily understand what he was trying to say. Bush, on the other hand, routinely makes comments that are so mangled and infantile that it really boggles the mind just what the heck he's trying to get at.

Normally I don't like to bring up Bush to make my point, but this is just crazy how critical some people are about Gore while simultaneously ignoring the comments of the loon we still have in office.

EA CO AS

Mon May 22, 2006 10:12 am

Isn't it intellectually dishonest to say that, though? IRC, Gore's legislation was to help get the network created for military means - not so people the world over could download streaming video of Paris Hilton or e-mail chain letters to one another.

Because THAT is what people envisioned when Gore's camp threw that "..led to the creation of the Internet.." soundbite, and they knew the public wouldn't be any wiser.

Eh, what does it matter, right? The ticket to beat will be McCain/Giuliani 2008.  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

texan

Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am

Gore won't run.

Not quite willing to go that far, but I consider it highly unlikely that Gore will run again. We know what his perception is amongst the American people, however misguided that might be. Maybe he would have been elected President originally if he had actually stood up for ideas and ideals in 2000 like he does now.

Even if he attempts to run he will not win the nomination. If Mark Warner decides to run, which he has said he will do, the nomination is his to lose. He has the support of the moderate Dems, the governor's council, is a likeable candidate whose ideas cross party lines, and will be very well funded. The other serious contenders are also governors: Bill Richardson of New Mexico, Tom Vilsack of Iowa, and Brian Schweitzer of Montana. Russ Feingold (Senator-Wisconsin) is also exploring a bid. Being that I think he is the only Democrat in Congress who actually stands up for what he believes in and is not afraid to take the correct though unpopular stand on issues, he is who I would love to see nominated by the Democratic Party and elected President.

But back on the main subject of Gore, he will not receive the nomination if he decides to run. It will go to one of the big three governors named above.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Falcon84

Mon May 22, 2006 11:05 am

Gore won't run.

And if his only position thus far is on Global Warming, why waste his time. Perhaps he's testing the water.

Maybe not. His big issues are 1. the environment, true enough, but 2. He's against the war in Iraq. With oil prices where they're, an enviornmental message may not fall on deaf ears, and I don't even have to elaborate on the way the nation feels about the Iraq conflict, do I?

For good or bad, a politician-a decent one, anyway, and whether you like Gore or not, he couldn't have reached the level of V.P. without having quite a few political instincts-looks for opportunity. Gore may see one here in the current climate and mood of the nation.

Not saying he will run, but if you and I were Mr. Gore, you'd damn well think about it, especially since you lost the presidency in '00 by about the closest margain ever.

It was three, wasn't it? Wasn't he a favorite son Candidate in '64 or in '68? And he almost beat Ford in '76.

Quoting Maury (Reply 7):
It's a lot harder to support a guy who favors kinda-hard-to-grok concepts like "saving the planet"

Again, with gas and oil prices where they are, and big gas-guzzling vehicles still the lovechild of Detroit, the time might be right for that message, if it's dovetailed right with getting off oil, and getting us, eventually, out of most Mideast politics and entanglements.

Sometimes I think that if the Democrats could resurrect the ghost of JFK, he could actually win, as long as he wasn't too creepy.

What the hell does that mean? Like Nixon wasn't creepy? Hell, look at the name of his re-election campaign: CREEP  Big grin Carter wasn't creepy, Gore wasn't, Clinton wasn't, Kerry wasn't. It just make you feel better to say such childish things, I guess.

Hell, you guys had Danny Quayle run. Can't get creepier than that.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard you utter on here, between waxing eloquence on so many issues. You sound like B757300 there-right from the GOP gutter.

It remains to be seen whether Hillary Clinton can steal enough ideas of the center-right to achieve the goal of restoring Bill to the White House.

Every politician steals ideas. Her husband was smart enough to move to the center after the health care fiasco, and, despite the personal antipathy the GOP had for him, he was able to get much of his economic agenda through that Congress. He was shrewd enough to realize that governing from the far-left was political suicide. He learned, and he became a much more successful president because of it.

Compare that with Mr. Bush, who couldn't change politically if his life depended on it. You can keep some core beliefs, but still be agile enough to realize that when something doesn't work, you change it. Clinton got that; Mr. Bush hasn't, and never will.

Quoting SATX (Reply 13):
All America really wants for a president is a folksy arrogant prick from the South and it's a done deal.

No doubt since '64, we've had a preponderance of southern presidents, and the South has definitely been in the role of leadership in both houses, and both parties. Makes you wonder who won the Civil War.

The Democrats still can't carry the South: they can make inroads, and take a few states, but they can't totally break the "solid south" at this time. They need to find a way to keep the liberal core in the Northeast, and to find strongt roots in the Midwest, the Plains and keep their presidential dominance on the Left Coast.

In '08, I honestly think they need to turn to the Midwest or Mideast (Not the Arab version Big grin ) for their candidate, or for at least their VP candidate. Hillary is still possible, because she's not a true easterner, with her roots in Illinois and Arkansas.. If Hillary carries NY big, she'll be a serious player in '08.

Quoting Maury (Reply 15):
Oh dear...now the Jebbies will come a-swarming out of their gated communities...rebel flags discreetly tucked away for the time being...

I almost fell off my chair when I read that Dad Bush and George W. were urging Jeb to run? They have some kind of hidden sadistic tendancies in the Bush family? This nation won't give Jeb the time of day. They're tired of the Bush's right now.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 21):
They've got far too much already invested in Hillary to give him the time of day.

I think the GOP has more invested in HRC than do the Dems. The GOP is spending most of it's money and time setting up for a showdown with Hillary. And, if she doesn't win the nomination, they will have sqandered their money.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 21):
Something tells me he still hurts deeply inside, like a figure skater who after four years of non-stop training, sprains an ankle during the last practice before the main event and can't compete. Yes, you all remember what I'm referring to

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAHHHHHH!!!!!

That close enough?  Big grin

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
A very good friend of mine is a die-hard democrat. He took time off from work - unpaid - to work for Kerry. He told me not too long ago that it would be suicidal for the democrats to nominate Hillary.

I'm not so sure I agree with him.

If that's true, then why is the GOP so focused on beating her in New York, and already trying to make sure she doesn't get near the Democratic nomination. Seems to me the GOP is deathly afraid of her, else they wouldn't be spending political capital and $$$ focusing on her.

Bush is going to make it vitually impossible for any republican to win in 2008.

It isn't up to Bush anymore. He rolled his dice in Iraq. The only chance for the GOP in the fall, and in '08, is a decisive turn in Iraq, and, while I dearly would love to see that, politics notwithstanding, this insurgency is going to go on for years, and Iraq can't deal with it by itself now, and maybe not for a long time to come. That means more U.S. deaths,and that means nothing good for the GOP.

coupled with her brillant record as a senator appearing to move to the middle,

Can't say it was brilliant, but it is shrewd. She is popular in New York, despite the denials of the GOP, who can't find anyone serious to challenge her.

She did manage to snare some federal pork for her upstate constituents,

Which, in one sense, is the job of any Senator or Congreeman or woman, is it not? That's what the voters want.

.( Barack Obama might be a good running mate.)

Too young. He shouldn't even think of the national stage for another 10 years, imho.

Quoting Pope (Reply 32):
HRC is a net zero gain for the democrats

Sure, that's why the GOP is investing so much money and time into combatting here. Uh, OK.

Quoting Pope (Reply 32):
I've been saying this for 2 years now, HRC is very vulnerable in NY State

Right. That's why the GOP keeps going through candidates who drop out after two weeks, and see the numbers. She won't lose in NY. Won't even come close, unless she really screws up, and she won't do that. Sounds more like GOP wet-dreaming to me.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AerospaceFan

Mon May 22, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):
What the hell does that mean? Like Nixon wasn't creepy?

I meant that if JFK were resurrected, he would be creepy because he would be a ghost. And yet even given that, he could still win. Possibly. The political choices are just that bad these days.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard you utter on here, between waxing eloquence on so many issues.

Thanks for your backhanded compliment, but I've never claimed to be a liberal. I've said that I'm basically liberal on some things, and conservative on others. As for the Democrats, I've been very disappointed with them for quite a long time.

Every politician steals ideas.

True, but this doesn't help your case, since it means that I could be right about HRC.

Assuming, for the purposes of argument, that Bush, et al., did steal liberal ideas, this has no bearing on whether HRC and her husband had previously stolen from the opposition, as well.

[Edited 2006-05-22 09:53:32]
What's fair is fair.

TedTAce

Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 40):
I meant that if JFK were resurrected, he would be creepy because he would be a ghost.

WTF?!?!?!?

Is JFK not a ghost right now?? Did I miss the memo?? If he's resurrected doesn't that mean he's living breating flesh?

Maybe I missed the context...

AerospaceFan

Mon May 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 41):
Is JFK not a ghost right now?? Did I miss the memo?? If he's resurrected doesn't that mean he's living breating flesh?

I don't think that JFK is a resurrected ghost, unless someone has seen him flirting with the resurrected ghost of Marilyn Monroe lately. He's simply dead and gone.

You have a point about the use of the term "resurrected", which can imply that he would be flesh and blood. However, the phrase was "resurrect the ghost of JFK", not the body of JFK.

By the way, a quick Google search shows that the same phrase, "resurrect the ghost" has been used on no less impressive a website than the leftist Soros.org.

http://www.soros.org/resources/artic...tions/articles/garaspeech_20041013

Also, the term "resurrect bodily", as contradistinguished from mere resurrection, which could be spiritual, is found in the following:

http://davinci.thelife.com/2006/04/07/the-gospel-of-judas/

Other sites also discuss whether Jesus Christ was resurrected bodily or as an immaterial spirit (ghost). E.g.:

http://www.uocc.ca/practices-c.html

[Edited 2006-05-22 09:52:41]
What's fair is fair.

slider

Tue May 23, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 32):
HRC is a net zero gain for the democrats. What they gain on the far left they lose towards the middle. Remember, it's about electoral math.

And the very real threat of faithless electors, which could transpire for the first time in recency in 2008, IMO.

HRC has been positioning herself as a centrist for some time now....this is clear telegraphing.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 42):
I don't think that JFK is a resurrected ghost, unless someone has seen him flirting with the resurrected ghost of Marilyn Monroe lately. He's simply dead and gone.

But to some, they still think he's a saint. Go figure.

AerospaceFan

Tue May 23, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 43):
to some, they still think he's a saint. Go figure.

Compared with some other politicians I could name, he is.

Wink
What's fair is fair.

slider

Tue May 23, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 44):

Yeah, probably true...

But we still need a first-rater and I don't see a single one on either side of the left or right conventional parties that fits that bill.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 23, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 4):
ANC writing off yet another Democrat as nothing but yesterday's worthless news? No surprise there.

Not is your worthless post pointing out the obvious.

Gore is yesterday's news, done and done. So, Captain Obvious, anything else you like to bring up that we already know?

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
It's his opus.

Sadly . . .

With all the crap happening in this country - not to mention the world - Gore, the Bunny Hugger, sticks to Global Warming . . . now here is someone that needs a grasp of the frackin' obvious!

Neither party has a platform aside from Screw the Other Party . . . is this news?

Quoting SATX (Reply 14):
If the GOP had a real platform (outside of sending their whipping boy from AZ to go kiss a few more boots) you'd probably have spelled it out by now. But, seeing as how they have no platform, other than begging for forgiveness, you posted nothing but ironic fluff.

I say again: Neither party has a platform aside from Screw the Other Party . . . is this news?

Yeah, and Kerry voted for the increase before he voted against it too . . .
(**Cue SATX comment**)

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 28):
Gore = crazy, Clinton = immoral, Kennedy = drunk, and so on.

The truth's a bitch ain't it.

.( Barack Obama might be a good running mate.)

He's a smart man, and as far as I can tell, a good man. His problem will be the same as Sen. Edwards was in the last go 'round . . . lack of experience. I would not, however, be surprised to see him on the ticket in a few years . . .

Quoting SATX (Reply 36):
Look, I have a whole year's worth of "Bushisms",

yawn   zzz  zzz 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Tue May 23, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 44):
Quoting Slider (Reply 43):
to some, they still think he's a saint. Go figure.

You shouldn't speak of President Bush like that.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

L-188

Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 am

OK who let Al Gore out of the lockbox?

SATX, would you be kind enough to escort him back into it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AirCop

Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 am

Let me see; Nixon lost in 1960 and came back in eight years to win in 1968 with an unpopular war in the background. Fast forward to 2008 will the war be still going on, I would suppose so since Bush has already stated it will become the new president's problem.