Checo77
Topic Author

How Is Charlotte, NC?

Tue May 23, 2006 10:02 am

Hey,
I just wanted to know how is Charlotte, NC for a visit? Is it a nice town? A boring town? Is there anything special?

Thanks,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

j_hallgren

RE: How Is Charlotte, NC?

Tue May 23, 2006 10:53 am

I've been there a number of times visiting friends...and a couple of times on business years ago...the locals may disagree but I don't think there is anything really THAT special there...however, the tour of the Lowe's Speedway was interesting to me...this was some years ago...they took us in a van around the track at about 85mph but it felt like a lot more...

Downtown seemed to be very quiet at night...almost dead...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

ANCFlyer

Tue May 23, 2006 11:08 am

Charlotte is kinda cool . . . it was never anything "special" - never the Capital of the Confederacy, never the HQ for Boeing, and, most all the historical buildings downtown have been bulldozed (including the train station) for 'redevelopment' . . . . but, it's got some interesting bars and restaurants. If you like Oysters, Vinnie's is the ticket! Oysters and beer. If you like auto racing, you're right in the middleof NASCAR HQ . . . most major race teams have some sort of complex around Charlotte. And most offer tours. The airport is great - for a small city airport, it's awesome. beyond security you'll find a huge glass atrium and rocking chairs - and generally someone playing the piano . . . if you like to water ski then Lake Norman is your friend.

If you're looking for 'something exciting', Charlotte ain't the place. It's a pretty mellow city.

I used to live in Davidson, about 15 miles north of Charlotte and my info is 5 years old . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Go3Team

Tue May 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
most all the historical buildings downtown have been bulldozed (including the train station) for 'redevelopment'

Uhh, football stadium? It seems as if they tore a lot down to get that thing done.

Its been almost 20 years since I've lived there. Back then the only things that were happening was Carowinds (Back then it was still the Eastern Airlines tower thingy) the Charlotte Hornets were just starting out, and not much of anything else.
Yay Pudding!

N1120A

Tue May 23, 2006 5:48 pm

If you are into banks, Charlotte is the place to be these days.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jcs17

Tue May 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Charlotte isn't a very interesting city. The nightlife is pretty boring (although the have done some development in downtown) and the weather is miserable in the summer. Pretty much the only redeeming quality of Charlotte is that the strippers are allowed to touch, unlike most US cities.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

MSYtristar

Wed May 24, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 5):
the strippers are allowed to touch, unlike most US cities

Well that's a good thing!

klm672

Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 am

Random question, how popular is Ric Flair to the non-wrestling community over in Charlotte? they always make a big deal about him and Charlotte. Just curious.

JBirdAV8r

Wed May 24, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
beyond security you'll find a huge glass atrium and rocking chairs - and generally someone playing the piano . . .

Definitely, especially the last few times I've connected through there.

Last time I was there (Feb) there was a F/O playing Chopin's "Raindrop Prelude" with a small group of travelers looking on. Pretty cool.

I really like the town, but I'm kind of a "mellow" person myself.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet