UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

What Cities Are Worth Visiting In The US?

Wed May 24, 2006 5:42 pm

So it appears (c'est une poire) that I have a couple of CO(nneries) vouchers that are about to expire.

So far I have seen :

LAX
SFO
SEA
DEN
LAS
IAH
DFW
DTW
EWR
IAD

What cities should I visit next ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Doona

RE: What Cities Are Worth Visiting In The US?

Wed May 24, 2006 5:45 pm

Try visiting smaller places. I recommend St. Augustine, FL. Really nice historic town, with plenty of things to see and do, including an excellent winery. I was there a couple of years ago, and even though I was not yet 21, they didn't check at the winery...  devil  Fly to JAX, rent a car, and you're there in no-time.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

lentigomaligna

Wed May 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Boston & Chicago are noticeably absent from that list.

My first choice would be Boston. It's in a three-way tie for my favorite U.S. Cities.

[Edited 2006-05-24 10:56:22]

TedTAce

Wed May 24, 2006 6:14 pm

MCO!!!

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 2):
Chicago

checkmark 
MLB (for the Kennedy Space Center)

and if the UTA_ette is not comming... MIA!!!
This space intentionally left blank

andessmf

Wed May 24, 2006 6:24 pm

Yeah, go to hot and humid Florida.  sarcastic 

UTA, California is still way better than some of the other places in the US. For couples, specially, there are several 'small town' areas that are incredibly romantic and pretty to visit. From SFO, you have the Monterey/Carmel area. There is also the Napa Valley area, world renowned as very pretty.

My personal favorites are the small towns located at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. The drive is very pretty and the towns as well. So come to the SMF and we'll show you around, plus I can give you, for a small fee, experience with children.  biggrin 

And remember, while areas of California are known to be hot, nights are usually cool and the weather is hardly ever humid.

KROC

Wed May 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 4):
So come to the SMF and we'll show you around, plus I can give you, for a small fee, experience with children.

Why would anyone want to go to SMF? And yes, I used to live out there.

I would check out Savannah Ga. Historic town with lots of stuff to see and do. The Hampton Roads area in Virginia is an excellent place. Charleston SC, same reasons as Savannah.

Look into some of the more midsized cities instead of all the large cities. Eventually once you have been to a handful of the big cities, you have been to them all.

David L

Wed May 24, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):

Chicago

checkmark 

checkmark 

futureuapilot

Wed May 24, 2006 8:01 pm

I would go and check Honolulu/Waikiki if I were you. They are remarkable places to visit and always have good weather. Not sure if CO flies there though... could codeshare with Northwest.

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

texan

Wed May 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Chicago and Boston are both great. As is Austin. For smaller places, check out South Lake Tahoe, NV/CA (Sabena332 had previously stated it is one of his favorite places in the US). Lots to do in terms of drinking, eating, shopping, gambling, in addition to some of the absolutely most breathtaking scenery in the States.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ORFflyer

Wed May 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 5):
The Hampton Roads area in Virginia is an excellent place

checkmark   checkmark 

Beaches, amusement/theme parks, minor league baseball, Lots of tourists stuff. The mountains are only a short drive away. Great spotting at ORF. (737s, MD80/90s, RJs, and a few 757s.)

And best of all, an A-netter to have a few drinks with.  cool 

desertjets

Wed May 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 5):
I would check out Savannah Ga. Historic town with lots of stuff to see and do. The Hampton Roads area in Virginia is an excellent place. Charleston SC, same reasons as Savannah.

All three are good choices. With plenty of variety and lots of history.

I'd also say this is a decent time to go to Arizona as it is off season and insanely hot. Fly into Phoenix, maybe spend a full day or so there, then go up to Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon. You could easily spend a week up there. And as it is the off season (except for the Grand Canyon) rental cars and hotels should be far more reasonable.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
EWR

I really hope you saw more than just the airport, and it is a pet peeve of mine when ppl use airport codes to denote a city. Not that Elizabeth and Newark, NJ aren't beautiful this time of year.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 7):
would go and check Honolulu/Waikiki if I were you

BTDT last year with the Rhaat courtesy of a NW fare error  Wink

I obviously meant mainland US in this thread.

Well I finally booked MIA, SAT and ATL.

Working on scheming BOS at the moment.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

ly7e7

Wed May 24, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 11):
Working on scheming BOS at the moment

Spend some time in Cape Cod.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

YeahitsK

Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 10):
I'd also say this is a decent time to go to Arizona as it is off season and insanely hot. Fly into Phoenix, maybe spend a full day or so there, then go up to Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon.

Good suggestion if you are looking for a place with some hot weather. Sedona is amazing, be sure to book a jeep tour should you go there. After going to Sedona, you notice a lot of TV commercials that were filmed there. There's no other place that looks quite like it. Tucson is an interesting destination as well if you are interested in seeing a desert or are interested in military aviation.
Let's play some Pitch...

MSYtristar

Thu May 25, 2006 1:23 am

New Orleans is a beautiful city that's worth visiting....even with everything that happened it's one of the top 5 greatest cities in the U.S easily...great food, music, history, night life, etc.

jetjack74

Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 am

MEM,
take a tour of the Graceland site, see Elvis's monument. There's Beale Street, where you can sample some of the great blues clubs and music scene. There's a cable car to Mudd Island, take in a Memphis Red Birds minor league baseball game if they're playing a home game. Then there's BNA, Music city, Opryland. Tennessee has alot to see
Made from jets!

EWRCabincrew

Thu May 25, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
I have a couple of CO(nneries) vouchers

That was worth a smile

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 7):
I would go and check Honolulu/Waikiki if I were you. They are remarkable places to visit and always have good weather. Not sure if CO flies there though... could codeshare with Northwest.

Daily nonstop to HNL from LAX and EWR. Twice daily service from IAH and a daily nonstop to OGG from LAX (till September 5th)

Try PHX (it's not that hot right now)...TUS

[Edited 2006-05-24 18:41:34]
You can't cure stupid

ANCFlyer

Thu May 25, 2006 2:10 am

If you wanna spot heavy cargo ANC is great! Asian and US and European Carriers . . . dozens and dozens of them . . .

Right now ANC is using 7L for departures and I'm watching Asian, Northwest, China, Cathay . . . .

C'Mon up, I'll buy the beer . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UAL747

Thu May 25, 2006 2:31 am

I'd say you need to see Alaska (ANC), or go back to DEN and drive a few hours into the mountains for skiing. Aspen, Breckenridge, Vail, Crested Butte, to name a few of the bigger ski resort towns.

If your into history, the Carolinas, Virginia, etc., can be interesting, or boring.

I think you need to really visity MSY. The Ritz-Carlton there is very nice, close to Bourbon St. and the areas around New Orleans can be very interesting as well if your into French/US history.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AeroWesty

Thu May 25, 2006 2:42 am

I hear Omaha is a pretty spiffin' place these days, especially if you're from Budapest.  scratchchin 
International Homo of Mystery

srbmod

Thu May 25, 2006 4:33 am

Well I finally booked MIA, SAT and ATL.

Looks like an excuse for some sort of ATL Mini-Meet..........

mdsh00

Thu May 25, 2006 12:36 pm

I would take a look at Chicago. Or if you want a midsize city, maybe Philadelphia or SAN. SAN is a nice city and Philadelphia has a lot of history, and Philly Cheese Steaks!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

gigneil

Thu May 25, 2006 1:04 pm

I am quite surprised that Washington, DC hasn't topped the list.

Amazing history, beautiful scenery, the Udvar-Hazy Center, the Air and Space Museum, fantastic dining.

N

dw747400

Thu May 25, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 22):
I am quite surprised that Washington, DC hasn't topped the list.

Very true, but IAD is on the list already...

Few more years and we may be seeing a decent aviation museum over in Baltimore as well.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

KROC

Thu May 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Looks like an excuse for some sort of ATL Mini-Meet..........

Count me in. I'll be the manwhore.

Signed, LHMark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/KROC1/MarkWhore.jpg

LHMark

Thu May 25, 2006 10:56 pm

That was a fantastic burger....

Oops, wait, wrong running gag.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

deltadc9

Thu May 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Chicago
Key West
Nashville
New Orleans when the time is right
NYC
Honolulu

Just off the top of my head
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

captaink

Fri May 26, 2006 12:48 am

I hope by EWR you have actually been to NYC. Cause that is a def. must city in the US continent. PHL is a nice history filled city. I guess you should see that. DC is a good place to go, it is the capital, there are things to see to complete your USA experience. But I guess that is covered with IAD.
There is something special about planes....

CastleIsland

Fri May 26, 2006 12:59 am

Working on scheming BOS at the moment

I'll put some Elbonian Ale on ice.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

garnetpalmetto

Fri May 26, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 5):
Charleston SC, same reasons as Savannah

I'll agree with Mike - Charleston's great, and as an added bonus, you can spot C-17s easily and take a side trip out to Patriot's Point and tour the USS Yorktown (a WW II/Cold War-era aircraft carrier with quite a few planes in her hangar and on deck still), the USS Clamagore (Cold War-era diesel/electric sub), USS Laffey (WW II/Cold War-era destroyer that took quite a few kamikaze hits), and a Coast Guard cutter from the same era (can't think of her name at the moment) that pulled Atlantic Convoy duty in the war. Charleston's got great restaurants (including a decent French restaurant, Mistral), lots of old plantations and such, and you can take in a baseball game at Joe Riley Stadium to see the Charleston RiverDogs (a minor league baseball team owned by Bill Murray)
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

sw733

Fri May 26, 2006 3:35 am

Exactly my thoughts. Chicago is my favorite city in the US, and Boston is near the top as well. Philadelphia is also pretty nice.