airxliban

Driving On The Autobahn

Thu May 25, 2006 9:55 am

Off to Frankfurt this weekend and am planning on hiring an E-Class in order to get around more easily outside of the city. At the moment planning a trip to Wuerzburg and possibly Heidelberg, depending on how much time I'll have.

I realise that the autobahn is not some magical million lane motorway with cars traveling at 300 kmh but I am still fairly excited about driving on it and have a couple of questions.

1. How should I approach the no speed limit sections? As in what should I be wary of and watch out for?

2. Driving safely at high speed - tips?

3. What are the autobahn behaviour norms - pass on the right, pull over to faster moving traffic, etc?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

mNeo

RE: Driving On The Autobahn

Thu May 25, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Thread starter):
3. What are the autobahn behaviour norms - pass on the right, pull over to faster moving traffic, etc?

Well i belive as to any major highway it shoule be drive on the right and pass on the left.
Powered by Maina

Air380

Thu May 25, 2006 10:29 am

Do not pass on the right and expect a lot of traffic jams, especially to Wuerzburg, sorry! But if the Autobahn is clear, oh boy! If you drive and pass on the left watch your rear view mirror, that little speck could be a car approaching with 220 km/h. It is fun! And there are speed limits on some areas!

MattCLE

Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

My dad and sister came to visit me when I was in Germany and we drove from Luneburg-Darmstadt-Munich-Leipzig-Luneburg with no problems. My dad drove the entire time and it was his first time in Germany/Europe. We were nervous at first, but from our experience we consider it safer than most highways we've been on in the US and the drivers seemed more attentive. Have fun!

-Matt  Smile
Bear Claw, Free Fall, A Gunner's View

flymia

Thu May 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Driving on the Autobahn a dream come true!
It must be great! I dont have any experiance at it obviously, but I do have experiance of driving over 100mph  Wink
Pay attention to everything, cars in front of you and since you are on the Autobahn cars behind you too. ONLY PASS ON THE LEFT this is VERY important and if you see a car behind comming up quick try to change lanes as quickly but safely as possible. Get used to the car at higher speeds, know what kind of manuvers you can do at high speeds. I drive a VW Touareg which is an SUV but I feel very comfortble changing lanes slowly at 100mph but not much more so I would not imagine many problems with the Eclass.
Try not to break to much, now if you need to use the breaks use them but if you keep having to break from 120mph to 80mph again and again or use you breaks alot at high speeds they are going to over heat, if they do over heat only way to cool them is to just stop and park the car. Never put water on hot breaks! Also if you drive your car hard with high engine speeds check your temp gauges once a while. Also dont be afraid to flash other people in your lane if you notice you are catching up the car infront of you and you are in the left lane give them a flash they should move.
Also before you go on the trip check your tire pressure, make sure your flashers work ect...
Here is one more good tip, if you ever find your self coming to a quick sudden stop in the middle of the roadway put your emergency flashers after you stopped even if you start to accelerate again, because it takes alot to stop car going 220km/h behind that thinks you are just driving normally.
And have fun!
Safe and Happy Driving!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TLG

Thu May 25, 2006 1:33 pm

It's been 8 years since I drove on the Autobahn, but I remember needing to watch out for trucks. They have a speed limit of 80km/h (I think) and you come up behind them awfully fast!

-TLG

N1120A

Thu May 25, 2006 1:49 pm

2. Driving safely at high speed - tips?

2 hands on the wheel and relax.

DO NOT PASS ON THE RIGHT. Not only is this going to piss everyone else off, it will get you a ticket so fast your head will spin. Only pass on the left. Also, only linger in the number 1 (left most) lane if you are going over 200-220 kmh and get over as soon as you see someone flash their lights at you in your rear view mirror, because they are coming up behind and have the ROW. The flashing lights thing applies to you too. If you are coming up behind someone in the left lane, flash them and they will move over.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

agill

Thu May 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Nomatter how fast you think you're going there is always someone going faster. Keep a lookout in the rear view mirrir and don't block the left lane. And be carefull when exiting the autoban the offramp thingies can have quite tight turns, which tend to feel very tight if you have been going over 200kph for a while.

TheSunseeker

Thu May 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Look far ahead,
practise the hard braking,

watch the mirror: if you think you're going fast:
there will be people going even faster!

At highspeed also be carefull with the wind!

Quoting Agill (Reply 7):
Nomatter how fast you think you're going there is always someone going faster

You will not believe how many times you get overtaken, even when hitting 240 km/h +

Ben
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged

ACDC8

Thu May 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Driving on the Autobahn is quite different then driving on other highways in other countries.

1. Keep right except to pass! Once you´ve passed a car, move back to the right lane.
2. Do not tailgate, keep at least half of your speed behind the car infront of you. i.e.: 100km/h = 50 meters distance; 200km/h = 100 meters, and so on.
3. Concentrate and don´t get distracted.
4. Keep scanning your rearview and sidevies mirrors. Keep an eye on whats happening down the road. If there is a truck up ahead (they are only allowed to drive 100km/h), you´d be surprised at how quick you´ll catch up. So you need to know if its safe behind you to pass or if you need to slow down.
5. Don´t cut off anyone.
6. Keep an eye out for any speed limit zones. There are lots of construction zones around.
7. Plan ahead. Keep an eye out for road signs and exits. If you miss your exit you´ll have to take the next one. There are no U-turns allowed (or possible), and if you miss your exit, you can not pull over to the side and back up, big no-no.
8. If the car breaks down, use one of the orange emergancy phones located every couple of kilometers or your cellphone. Do not walk to a service station (another big no-no). Get out of the vehicle and wait behind the guardrail.
9. Be prepared for Staus (traffic jams), they can come out of nowhere and you may need to do some heavy breaking.
10. If you are driving with a foreign licence and you get pulled over by the police, you will have to pay the fine on the spot.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
someone flash their lights at you in your rear view mirror, because they are coming up behind and have the ROW. The flashing lights thing applies to you too. If you are coming up behind someone in the left lane, flash them and they will move over.

Be very careful with flashing your headlights or using your left turn signal light while driving in the left lane. This can be considered as "drängeln" and is illegal.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

RobertNL070

Thu May 25, 2006 6:58 pm

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 8):
Look far ahead,
practise the hard braking

If you look far enough ahead, and anticipate, you should not have to practise braking hard all that much.

bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ACDC8

Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 10):
If you look far enough ahead, and anticipate, you should not have to practise braking hard all that much.

Also, keep an eye out for yellow licence plates! They´re usually the ones driving slow and pulling a caravan!  Wink

TheSunseeker

Thu May 25, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 10):

I always do this once or twice so my passengers know whats going
to happen IN CASE I reallllly need to... Smile Those trucks can be hard ya know

LHSebi

Thu May 25, 2006 7:05 pm

Please don't give this guy wrong advice! Do NOT(!!!) flash people when coming up behind them! This is illegal, and can get you into trouble. Same thing applies to putting your left indicator on while in the left lane.
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

RobertNL070

Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
Also, keep an eye out for yellow licence plates! They´re usually the ones driving slow and pulling a caravan!

Seen from the rear, for the uninitiated those yellow licence plates could be either French, British or Dutch. Please explain  Wink

ACDC8

Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 14):
Seen from the rear, for the uninitiated those yellow licence plates could be either French, British or Dutch. Please explain

The French and British don´t tow caravans ...  Wink

TheSonntag

Thu May 25, 2006 7:44 pm

Quoting LHSebi (Reply 13):
Please don't give this guy wrong advice! Do NOT(!!!) flash people when coming up behind them! This is illegal, and can get you into trouble. Same thing applies to putting your left indicator on while in the left lane.

Correct. In fact it can be N�tigung, a criminal offense according to �240 of the German criminal code. Under all circumstances, it is illegal and can be fined.

Otherwise, bear in mind what the Autobahn IS NOT: IT IS N O T A RACETRACK.

The Autobahn is a road network, which does not have a general speed limit, but it is still a public road. So, you are not alone out there. You have to adjust your speed to the circumstances. This means you can drive more than 200km/h if the roads are empty, but dont do so in heavy traffic.

So, finally, the most important things to bear in mind:

1. Germany has a STRICT rule on driving on the right lane. This is a vital rule for ensuring high speeds, and MUST be listened to. So, unless you overtake or there is traffic, you must stay on the right. This is especially important on Autobahn roads with three or four lanes. It is not allowed to stay in the middle lane at low speeds when the right lane is free. Unfortunately not everybody remembers this rule, but it is vital for safety, and usually enforced strictly by the police.

2. Overtaking on the right is not allowed. This is very important, strictly enforced and heavily fined.

3. When there are speed limits, these usually (but not always) have a reason. It is better to listen to them.

4. There ARE cars drivng faster than 250 km/h, and it is legal.

Now, of course, you would like to know where you can drive fast. First, you need a largely unlimited Autobahn. Very cool, but also very old, is the A-3 from Frankfurt to Cologne. It has lots of steep hills, because it was already built before WW2. There are lots of BMWs, Mercedes and VWs on the left lane.

The A-5 is a great high speed Autobahn. Between Frankfurt and Darmstadt there are 4 lanes in each direction. When there is lots of traffic, it isn't funny, but there are times of a day when it is possible to drive as fast as you want there.

In Darmstadt, continue on the A-67... After some km, you get to a 12 km long, straight road with no limit and three lanes... GREAT for driving.

cfalk

Thu May 25, 2006 7:46 pm

One thing that shocked me is how Germans drive in dense fog or heavy rain. Many people don't slow down. I've been in fog so thick that I could not see more than 20 or 30 meters, and people would still be flying by at 200 km/h or more.

If that happens, get off the autobahn, find a café, and have a cup of coffe while you wait for the weather to ease up. It's a lot better than getting rear-ended by someone who could not see you.

Be safe.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

aloges

Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 pm

Exactly my sentiments. DO NOT flash your headlights, it is illegal and German police cracks down on racers ("Raser") just as much as on excessively slow drivers.

Two links for you:

http://usembassy.state.gov/germany/services/driving_in_germany.html
http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/autobahn.htm

And a little more advice, adding to what's been said:

When you exit, trust no one but your speed indicator. 50 km/h is a safe speed on most exits and feels incredibly slow after a ride on the Autobahn. Upon leaving the Autobahn, check the indicator like your life depends on it - it may very well do so.

Checking your tyres is important, I've read it only once in this thread. If your cold tyres are 0,2 bar above the pressure indicated for the load you're carrying, you should be fine - unless of course 3 bars are indicated already, then there's not much of a point to 0,2 more. I might be more sensitive towards this than many others, but I do notice tyre pressure at 160 km/h.

Anticipate, anticipate and anticipate. Think that Ford Fiesta 500 metres ahead might choose to pass the truck it's been behind for a while just as you approach? Well, get ready to slow down! If you're prepared for it, you'll have the time to brake more gently.

One thing you will hate is "elephant races", i.e. one truck passing another doing just two or three km/h more. It happens often, it is a PITA and it can be downright dangerous since some truck drivers flash their blinkers once, if you're lucky, and change lanes leaving you with option a) crashing and option b) deciding in the blink of an eye how to get out of their way as quickly as possible.

Approach the maximum speed of your car slowly. DO NOT enter the Autobahn and speed up to 200 km/h immediately. That is suicidal. You need to know how your car behaves at 100, 120, 140, 160 and 180 beforehand, and you need to get a feeling for those tiny continuous steering inputs that keep you from using the more dangerous large ones. Crosswind plays an important role at high speeds, especially if you pass a truck entering and leaving its lee.

Stay safe and have fun!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RobertNL070

Thu May 25, 2006 8:17 pm

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 12):
IN CASE I reallllly need to...

You are quite right in a way. However, my partner, who does not drive, is quite used to me moving out into the middle or fast lane for no apparant reason. I've seen one or more trucks 500 metres or more further up, and at the same time I've seen a road sign for a motorway exit 1000 metres further. A few hundred metres after an exit, there is almost always a slip-road onto the motorway. Trucks + slip-road = possible trouble say 1400 metres further up. Even a modest 120 kph is 2000 metres a minute. This may seem a little extreme, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at. I anticipate. And, touch wood, many years driving without even a near accident - it must help. And every time I get my car serviced, the guy is amazed that my brakes are in such good shape.

bouncy 

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu May 25, 2006 9:28 pm

Last month I picked up a car from MUC and drove to England. The autobahn was a great experience. It isn't often one can drive legally at whatever speed you like.

The reality however is that although I did have a few bursts of speed up to around 220km/h, they were the exception rather than the norm.

1. At 220 that is double the speed limit of a lot of countries, and as has been said above, you come upon other vehicles very fast, particularly if they are just pulling out into the fast lane to pass a truck or something. They're probably doing half your speed, so you need to be paying good attention - no fiddling with your radio, playing with your iPod, or picking your nose.

2. Driving at around 140-160 for me is a good enough speed particularly on a long journey. Your stress levels tend to rise the faster you go. If you have any problems such as a tyre blow out, you'll suddenly wish you weren't going so fast. Accident survival rates decrease a lot the faster you go.

3. Even in the diesel car I was driving, at 220 the fuel consumption rate is not that great. Slowing down a little can save a lot of fuel.

4. Watch for speed limits which do exist on a lot sections of the autobahns, so just because you're on one doesn't mean it's a free for all.

Enjoy.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

TheSunseeker

Thu May 25, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 14):
Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
Also, keep an eye out for yellow licence plates! They´re usually the ones driving slow and pulling a caravan!

Being dutch myself, but also after living in Germany for 7 years, I have to agree with you. Not because the dutch are slow, but because of what Germans say about them: NL = "nur links" (="left lane only"). Horrible!

Not because it is illegal, but because it is very dangerous! At night especially.
I always try to explain to my dad why the left indicator is a better way, but he somehow doesnt want to get it...  banghead 

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 17):
One thing that shocked me is how Germans drive in dense fog or heavy rain. Many people don't slow down.

Agree, plus at the same time you can see some being on the phone.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 18):
Crosswind plays an important role at high speeds, especially if you pass a truck entering and leaving its lee.

I knew whats going on when you pass a truck at high speed, but the first time it happened to me it scared me a bit. The way you feel it at the wheel surprised me.

TheSunseeker

Thu May 25, 2006 9:59 pm

I'm starting to like this forum. Big grin

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 19):
And every time I get my car serviced, the guy is amazed that my brakes are in such good shape.

The cars I drive are driven by owners at over 50.000km+ a year.
When I have to break hard, I dont feel guilty for the brakes  bigthumbsup 
I am using cars very gentle compared to their owners.

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 20):
Accident survival rates decrease a lot the faster you go.

Compared to all accidents on the Autobahn, the high speed takes a very little percentage!! But none the less, it sure is dangerous.

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 20):
4. Watch for speed limits which do exist on a lot sections of the autobahns, so just because you're on one doesn't mean it's a free for all.

They introduced / are testing a new system on some parts. The speed limit boards are digital. The speed is depending on the traffic, weather etc. They are also trying out the speed of 140km/h which I first saw in the Hanover area. I think its a great idea because when you travel at high speed, after a while you get used to it. I believe it is important to slow down for a while, so your eyes notice the difference again.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 pm

When you exit, trust no one but your speed indicator. 50 km/h is a safe speed on most exits and feels incredibly slow after a ride on the Autobahn. Upon leaving the Autobahn, check the indicator like your life depends on it - it may very well do so.

I can attest to that. After cruising the Autobahn around 160kmh for a couple of hours, we needed to refuel. That gas pump came at us damn fast. I've heard it referred to as "speed blind", you just don't know how fast you are going. Looking out the side window tends to give you a better idea of your speed.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

pelican

Thu May 25, 2006 10:34 pm

This thread is hilarious.

pass on the right, pull over to faster moving traffic

Huh, I'm relieved you won't drive where I live...

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
Try not to break to much, now if you need to use the breaks use them but if you keep having to break from 120mph to 80mph again and again or use you breaks alot at high speeds they are going to over heat, if they do over heat only way to cool them is to just stop and park the car. Never put water on hot breaks!

Now I'm scared and wonder what you have to do to overstress your breaks if nothing unusual happens...

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
Also dont be afraid to flash other people in your lane if you notice you are catching up the car infront of you and you are in the left lane give them a flash they should move.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
If you are coming up behind someone in the left lane, flash them and they will move over.

With a little bit of luck they are going to demand you to pull over!

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 8):
practise the hard braking,

NO! Don't do it if there is no emergency. And please don't practise hard braking on the Autobahn. Try to use your brakes as sparse as possible.

I start to wonder whether we should ban foreign drivers from using Autobahns.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):

1. Keep right except to pass! Once you�ve passed a car, move back to the right lane.

If there would be more drivers like you!

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 16):
In Darmstadt, continue on the A-67... After some km, you get to a 12 km long, straight road with no limit and three lanes... GREAT for driving.

I feel for you, if the longest stretches without speed limit in your area are only 12km long.

Approach the maximum speed of your car slowly. DO NOT enter the Autobahn and speed up to 200 km/h immediately.

That's the funniest part

One thing you will hate is "elephant races", i.e. one truck passing another doing just two or three km/h more. It happens often, it is a PITA and it can be downright dangerous since some truck drivers flash their blinkers once, if you're lucky, and change lanes leaving you with option a) crashing and option b) deciding in the blink of an eye how to get out of their way as quickly as possible.

I can only agree. BEWARE of trucks!

pelican

[Edited 2006-05-25 15:38:01]

TheSunseeker

Thu May 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting Pelican (Reply 24):
NO! Don't do it if there is no emergency. And please don't practise hard braking on the Autobahn.

Of course only if there is space around you, I'm trying to say you need to know how to handle the brakes. If you ask a person to press the brake as hard as possible, they will press hard and still only use 60-75% of what is possible.

I feel for you, if the longest stretches without speed limit in your area are only 12km long.:D

hehehe  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

incitatus

Fri May 26, 2006 2:20 am

Most cars will be doing 150-160 kph with the occasional +250 kph.
Unless you get a high end E, it will be difficult to maintain speeds above 220 kph because of traffic - unless it is really a slow period like early morning Saturday and Sunday. If it is a diesel E or an E200, forget about driving fast.

On weekdays the highways around Frankfurt will be clogged with commuters and trucks.

Bring a Carmina Burana CD to listen to.
Stop pop up ads

ACDC8

Fri May 26, 2006 2:21 am

If there would be more drivers like you!

Scary thing is that I have a Canadian Licence, where the rule is, get out on the highway, set your cruise control to whatever the posted speed limit is, move over to the left lane and relax until you have to make your exit! Thus, the following are my tips for driving on BC´s highways:

1. Whatever the posted speedlimit is, add 20km/h to this as that is what the roads are designed for.
2. Keep right, and pass on the right, as all slow drivers are in the left lane (they might have to make a left turn some 30 miles down the road).
3. Don´t tailgate, honk your horn, flash your lights at a slower vehicle. This scares the driver resulting them in doing something unpredictable, such as speed up.
4. When ever you pass a vehicle (which is usually done on the right), don´t bother looking at them or letting them know your opinion. Chances are that they´ll write a letter to the editor in the local paper letting the world know that they are a safe and responsible driver (despite the fact that they are impeding traffic by going for a Sunday drive in the left lane of a highway) and you are the Son of Satan as you dared to drive 5km/h faster then the speedlimit.
5. When on the highway, try to look busy to other motorists. Do your make-up, read a newspaper, chat on your cell. What ever you do, don´t let other people actually think that you´re concentrating on your driving and the road ahead.
6. When approaching a traffic light, make sure that there is a row of cars behind you. Slow your vehicle down and continue to drive slower the closer you get to the light. Once the light goes yellow, act confused and step on the gas so you can make the light, leaving everyone else at a red light and showing that once again, you are the King of the Road.
7. When pulled over by a local member of the RCMP, make sure you turn off your engine as you´ll receive a complimentary lecture on why you are such a bad person for daring to drive above a posted speedlimit from some 50 odd years ago as you are written a ticket.
8. While driving on BC´s highways, beware of the white licence plates with red numbering. These drivers are from Alberta and are sometimes confused as to what to do when they see a curve in the road.
9. If your car breaks down, please do not pull over. Keep driving the vehicle for years on end and making it as unsafe as possible. The more rust and different size tires the better.

Silly

TheSunseeker

Fri May 26, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 26):
If it is a diesel E or an E200, forget about driving fast.

Why should you forget driving fast if he's renting a diesel E?
Try the E320cdi, it is bloody fast. The E200kompressor can go 240km/h as well, no problem.

incitatus

Fri May 26, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 28):
Try the E320cdi, it is bloody fast. The E200kompressor can go 240km/h as well, no problem.

Well, bloody fast means different things to different people...

Most rental companies will offer the lowest power engine or the next one up from the bottom. Unless the highway has very light traffic, there will be drivers passing on the left lane below 180 kph. Thus it will be difficult to maintain a high speed with a low end engine. It takes a very long time to get an E200 to 240 kph.
Stop pop up ads

airxliban

Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 am

Thank you, gentlemen, for all the responses. This makes me feel better about driving on the autobahn and I will certainly heed your advise.

The car I am hiring is an "E200 or similar" which I take it refers to the E200 Kompressor since there is no regular E200.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

pelican

Fri May 26, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 28):

Well, there is also the E400, although I doubt you can get rent one.

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 30):
The car I am hiring is an "E200 or similar" which I take it refers to the E200 Kompressor since there is no regular E200.

Most probably you'll get a E200 Kompressor. This is the standard E class for many rental companies. Doing more than 200kph for longer stretches should be no problem at all.

At which company do you rent your car?

pelican

TheSunseeker

Fri May 26, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 29):
Well, bloody fast means different things to different people...

Of course its not like a Porsche or Ferrari, but its perfect for the Autobahn.

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 29):
It takes a very long time to get an E200 to 240 kph

Not true.

incitatus

Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 pm

Sunseeker
Unfortunately after owning an M3 for 8 years my standards are higher.
Stop pop up ads

TheSonntag

Sat May 27, 2006 11:58 pm

I feel for you, if the longest stretches without speed limit in your area are only 12km long.

Well, NRW is a nightmare at some places... Around Bonn, the situation is bad: The A59: Limited all the way. A555: Once the greatest Autobahn of Germany, but now it has a 3km long 100 km/h limit in the middle... Still a great Autobahn, but this limit is rediculous. A565: Limited. A61: 200km speed limit 130 km/h...

Only the one and only, the magic A3 is still great... It has limited stretches, but it is still nice.

Ok, and there is the A59 between Leverkusen and Düsseldorf... Unlimited, nobody driving on it, great curves, good condition... The best racetrack i know!

Sabena332

Sun May 28, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 34):
Ok, and there is the A59 between Leverkusen and Düsseldorf... Unlimited, nobody driving on it, great curves, good condition... The best racetrack i know!

Try the A31, it is mostly empty, especially on Saturday nights, driving as fast as 250 kph is absolutely no problem there.

Patrick

Edit, I mean the A31, not the A33.

[Edited 2006-05-27 17:12:03]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aloges

Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 35):
Try the A31, it is mostly empty, especially on Saturday nights, driving as fast as 250 kph is absolutely no problem there.

Sounds just like the A20 which bores you to death if you have to stay at 80-ish because you're pulling a trailer.  cry 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TheSunseeker

Mon May 29, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 33):
Sunseeker
Unfortunately after owning an M3 for 8 years my standards are higher.

I dont think an E200K is the bomb, but it sure is fast on the Autobahn. And I dont want to be an asshole Wink, but how can you own an M3 for 8 years when you are 21-25?  Smile
Seriously: you are right of course both cars are not compareable.

G'night

airxliban

Mon May 29, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up in a BMW 320i touring with a manual transmission and fortunately made it back to the UK without killing myself.

Got up to 220kmh though which was quite cool and its 6mph faster than my previous land speed record.

Trip report up:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/78001/