TWFirst
Topic Author

HIV Origin Confirmed

Fri May 26, 2006 2:32 am

More progress in the fight against HIV... now I have a better understanding of why there's so much concern about the potential for an avian flu epidemic.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2003434&page=1
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ctbarnes

RE: HIV Origin Confirmed

Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 am

Very interesting. Proves what scientists have suspected all along.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

kaddyuk

Fri May 26, 2006 2:41 am

Or infact it could be a smoke screen for the virus's true history as a Weapon Of War developed by the US Army.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

captaink

Fri May 26, 2006 2:44 am

So how did it get from Chimps to us humans...?
There is something special about planes....

AeroWesty

Fri May 26, 2006 2:44 am

One by one, they're making progress.  thumbsup 

How excrutiatingly slowly things seem to be moving in comparison to the heyday of Dr. Gallo and the Pasteur Institute, where every breakthrough was hailed as if Goliath had just been slain.
International Homo of Mystery

mt99

Fri May 26, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 3):
So how did it get from Chimps to us humans...?

From the article..

"Presumably, someone in rural Cameroon was bitten by a chimp or was cut while butchering one and became infected with the ape virus. That person passed it to someone else."
Step into my office, baby

AeroWesty

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 2):
it could be a smoke screen for the virus's true history as a Weapon Of War developed by the US Army.

*Buzzer*  thumbsdown 

Dougloid

There's an object lesson here:

Be VERY careful where you pop a chubby. Know who you're partying with.

Angry  Angry  Angry
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

kaddyuk

Fri May 26, 2006 2:58 am

I've heard a guy who works in nigeria use this process...

He bags his sausage once, rubs deep heat on the first layer, then bags it again...

Why?

Because if the outside layer splits, his partner will start screaming like hell with pain and he knows its time to finish off...

HAHA!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

cfalk

Fri May 26, 2006 3:01 am

Ok, guys, who screwed the chimp?

Silly
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ctbarnes

Fri May 26, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):

Could be the other way around. Chimps are notoriously promiscuous.  Big grin

Charles, SJ

KFLLCFII

Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 am

Quote:
Solving the mystery of HIV's ancestry was dirty work. Scientists employed trackers to plunge through dense jungle and collect the fresh feces of wild apes - more than 1,300 samples in all.

Now THAT's a shitty job...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 26, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 5):
"Presumably, someone in rural Cameroon was bitten by a chimp or was cut while butchering one and became infected with the ape virus. That person passed it to someone else."

Or so they claim anyways  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Dougloid

Fri May 26, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 8):
I've heard a guy who works in nigeria use this process...

He bags his sausage once, rubs deep heat on the first layer, then bags it again...

Why?

Because if the outside layer splits, his partner will start screaming like hell with pain and he knows its time to finish off...

HAHA!

Dude, you're among the truly sick......

stirthepot   stirthepot   stirthepot 

solnabo

Fri May 26, 2006 5:48 am

So the phrase pop a chubby means the act of getting an erection, I had to look it up in urban dictionary...

Such language!!!

Micke//SWE  rotfl 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

ANCFlyer

Fri May 26, 2006 5:55 am

Or infact it could be a smoke screen for the virus's true history as a Weapon Of War developed by the US Army.

rotfl  . . .

The wind blew and the shit flew and here we have this . . . .

Absolutely absurd . . . .

I don't suppose you've any source for this nonsense? OK, let me rephrase - any viable and coherent source???

Let me ask - do you believe in the black helicopters and unmarked Chevy Caprices as well? Just curious - it fits with the nonsense you spewed above.
 rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Klaus

Fri May 26, 2006 9:43 am

Before 1959 (when the first contaminated blood was archived)? That would be a major feat!  crazy 

gigneil

Fri May 26, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 7):
Know who you're partying with.

Or, more importantly, don't care who you're partying with but make sure that person doesn't end up inside you with nothing on.

N

kiwiinoz

Fri May 26, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):

. . .

The wind blew and the shit flew and here we have this . . . .

Absolutely absurd . . . .

I don't suppose you've any source for this nonsense? OK, let me rephrase - any viable and coherent source???

Let me ask - do you believe in the black helicopters and unmarked Chevy Caprices as well? Just curious - it fits with the nonsense you spewed above.

I thought he was joking....is he serious? That is funny.

Dougloid

Fri May 26, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 14):
So the phrase pop a chubby means the act of getting an erection, I had to look it up in urban dictionary...

Funny thing is there's a pretty good blues band that's been around for a number of years here called the Popa Chubby Band....I guess nobody gets the joke....

http://www.popachubby.com/home.html

Dougloid

Fri May 26, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):

Before 1959 (when the first contaminated blood was archived)? That would be a major feat!

Dang it Klaus! Where you been, lad?

Klaus

Fri May 26, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
Dang it Klaus! Where you been, lad?

Busy. Very, very busy...!  yuck 
I missed all of you, too!

L-188

Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):

I think the name you are looking for is....Laura.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Fri May 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 22):
I think the name you are looking for is....Laura.

rotfl 

Well Done.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

baylorairbear

Fri May 26, 2006 12:32 pm

See, this gives creedance to my pondering whether or not I can get mouth herpes from my dog.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

searpqx

Fri May 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 24):
I can get mouth herpes from my dog

I know I've been away for awhile, but has Non-av really sunk to that?  Wink  ill 
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AeroWesty

Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Amos: I keep telling him I'm an hermaphrodite, but he keeps going on about my giving him herpes!!! I'm soooo mad!
AeroWesty: Remember that trick I told you about?
Amos: Ohh, ohh, yes
AeroWesty: Well then, tonight around 3am, strike!
Amos: WOOF!

DLKAPA

Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 24):
See, this gives creedance to my pondering whether or not I can get mouth herpes from my dog.

The fact that you have to ponder whether or not you got your mouth herpes from your dog is very...unsettling.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

baylorairbear

Fri May 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 27):
The fact that you have to ponder whether or not you got your mouth herpes from your dog is very...unsettling.

I never said I did get herpes, I only wondered if it was possible. It all reminds me of a Cheech and Chong bit where he pronounces hairpiece as herpes.

BAB

HPLASOps

Fri May 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Quote:
Solving the mystery of HIV's ancestry was dirty work. Scientists employed trackers to plunge through dense jungle and collect the fresh feces of wild apes - more than 1,300 samples in all.

Who got stuck with this job?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

deltagator

Fri May 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 29):
Quote:

Who got stuck with this job?

Talk about a shitty job.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 5):
From the article..

I haven't hit snopes.com to find any urban legend info but there was the rumor wandering around about how they had tracked it down to some gay male steward who had an encounter with a chimp while in Nigeria or somewhere on a stopover. I think they even went so far as to say he worked for KLM or some other European carrier. I remember hearing this rumor trotted out now and then for at least 10 years and have always thought it to be hooey.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AeroWesty

Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 30):
I haven't hit snopes.com to find any urban legend info but there was the rumor wandering around about how they had tracked it down to some gay male steward who had an encounter with a chimp while in Nigeria or somewhere on a stopover.

You're thinking about Patient Zero:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Zero

A journalist, Randy Shilts, subsequently wrote an article based on Darrow's findings in his 1987 book And The Band Played On, in which it named Patient Zero as a gay Canadian flight attendant named Gaëtan Dugas (February 20, 1953—March 30, 1984 [1]). For several years, Dugas was vilified as a "mass spreader" of HIV and the original source of the HIV epidemic among gay men. However, four years after the publication of Shilts's article, Dr. Darrow repudiated his study, admitting that its methods were flawed and that Shilts had misrepresented the study's conclusions.

searpqx

Fri May 26, 2006 1:58 pm

I remember hearing this rumor trotted out now and then for at least 10 years and have always thought it to be hooey.

In brief, a study was presented in the early 80s that identified a transmission scenario starting with one man (Patient O - misreported in the press as Patient 0). That man was subsequently identified in the book, "And the Band Played On' as an AC FA named Gaetan Dugas. He was widely villified as the 'source' of AIDS in N America. After he died, the author of the original study was discredited as was the study. Gaetan however was a real man and did indeed spread the AIDS virus, but its unlikely he was ever the 'source' in N America.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

deltagator

Fri May 26, 2006 2:02 pm

Quick lookup there guys. Thanks!

Even though it was shown to be false I really do hope it was spread through a bite or something else other than someone doing the horizontal mambo with a chimp. The latter is just really gross to even consider.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ctbarnes

Fri May 26, 2006 2:04 pm

I haven't hit snopes.com to find any urban legend info but there was the rumor wandering around about how they had tracked it down to some gay male steward who had an encounter with a chimp while in Nigeria or somewhere on a stopover. I think they even went so far as to say he worked for KLM or some other European carrier. I remember hearing this rumor trotted out now and then for at least 10 years and have always thought it to be hooey.

The study in question was initially conducted by Dr. William Darrow at the Centers for Disease Control who conducted an epidemiological study which traced the epidemic back to a single person who had passed the HIV virus on to multiple partners. A journalist reporting on Darrow's findings identified this person (known as "patient zero") as Gaeton Dugas, a gay Canadian flight attendant.

In the resulting furore, Darrow repudiated his findings claiming the study's methods were flawed and that the jouralist, Randy Shilts, had misrepresented his findings. Instead, Darrow suggested, the virus was probably spread over the span of a number of years, and quite probably before Dugas began to travel.

Charles, SJ

baylorairbear

Fri May 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Just a thought, but it amazes me how something so deadly, that started with only one person, has managed to touch all corners of the globe.

BAB

Dougloid

Fri May 26, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):
Quick lookup there guys. Thanks!

Even though it was shown to be false I really do hope it was spread through a bite or something else other than someone doing the horizontal mambo with a chimp. The latter is just really gross to even consider.

Why does that shock you? Iowa didn't have a statute against bestiality until a few years back at one of the county fairs when a guy was found in a barn pleasuring himself with a mare...

My guess, judging by the size of the average stallion's tackle, that the mare was singularly unimpressed.

deltagator

Sat May 27, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 36):
Why does that shock you? Iowa didn't have a statute against bestiality until a few years back at one of the county fairs when a guy was found in a barn pleasuring himself with a mare...

My guess, judging by the size of the average stallion's tackle, that the mare was singularly unimpressed.

It doesn't so much shock me. I just couldn't ever imagine hooking up with some chimp or trying to service a horse like your example shows. I'm not sure that I would ever get so lonely or screwed up in the head that I would turn to an non-human for sexual gratification.

AeroWesty

Sat May 27, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 37):
I just couldn't ever imagine hooking up with some chimp or trying to service a horse like your example shows.

Think how I feel when Amos wants to give me herpes sugar.

~BAB

jacobin777

Sat May 27, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 37):
It doesn't so much shock me. I just couldn't ever imagine hooking up with some chimp or trying to service a horse like your example shows. I'm not sure that I would ever get so lonely or screwed up in the head that I would turn to an non-human for sexual gratification.

more probable scenerio.......as the article stated...

" Presumably, someone in rural Cameroon was bitten by a chimp or was cut while butchering one and became infected with the ape virus. "
"Up the Irons!"

baylorairbear

Sat May 27, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 38):
Think how I feel when Amos wants to give me herpes sugar.

~BAB

No you didn't!!!

BAB  talktothehand 

Dougloid

Sat May 27, 2006 4:33 am

What nobody's really answered is what happened to the person who spent the last eight years sniffing chimp turds in Cameroon.

As a matter of fact they had that lady on NPR and she said that there's a future in analyzing people turds for early evidence of HIV.....home testing kits anyone? And would that be before or after?

lehpron

Sat May 27, 2006 2:11 pm

...and mosquitos could not have passed the virus via blood because?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ctbarnes

Sat May 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 42):
...and mosquitos could not have passed the virus via blood because?

At a guess the virus can't survive in the mosquito's stomach. The HIV virus is both extremely virulent and very fragile at the same time.

Charles, SJ