Cadet57
Topic Author

BOS Meet, Part 3

Fri May 26, 2006 5:24 am

Right, so we are approaching a month away now, just want to see what everyones thoughts, plans, ideas are now, also want to see everyones ideas on dinner or what not.

June 23/24th

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Baylorairbear
MBMBOS
MiCorazonAzul
Tunisia
Zone1
GOCAPS16
SNATH(+friend?)
Mir

Maybe's:

YOWza
BMIflyer
Aerobalance
PHLBOS
Vikkyvik
STLGph
Tappan

[Edited 2006-05-25 22:38:35]
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

CastleIsland

RE: BOS Meet, Part 3

Fri May 26, 2006 11:15 am

As I've noticed in the past, it's a real bugger getting interest kindled in a BOS meet. I've been to meets in NYC, ATL, YYZ, and LAS, and there's been no problem getting posts up and people to commit.

Truth is I have very little time to organize this, as I'm swamped with work and music commitments, but I do plan to be there, working around my rehearsal schedule. I've posted several ideas regarding spotting and dinner locations in the previous thread(s), pending wind direction/take-off/landing configurations.

Put it this way: I'll be around for some of this; if you guys want to get it going, I'll be glad to drive a few around for spotting and dinner, pending my schedule.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2006 11:17 am

Valid point. I just want to know if anyone else is up for it cuz im not gonna drive 2 hours for nothing....

baylorairbear

Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Mark me as a probably.

BAB  crossfingers 
I'm just skipping stones...

LH423

Fri May 26, 2006 1:03 pm

I may have to work at the very least one of those days so I'll have to probably split a bit early one of the days. I'll definitely be there.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mir

Fri May 26, 2006 4:44 pm

I'll be there, and I believe RJPieces is up for it as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PHLBOS

Sat May 27, 2006 1:08 am

I will probably give you a definite 'yes' or 'no' shortly after this holiday weekend.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

CastleIsland

Sat May 27, 2006 1:32 am

OK, good - we have the workings of a good, albeit short list. Here's the old list:

June 23/24th

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Baylorairbear
MBMBOS
MiCorazonAzul
Tunisia
Zone1
GOCAPS16
SNATH(+friend?)
Mir

Maybe's:

YOWza
BMIflyer
Aerobalance
PHLBOS
Vikkyvik
STLGph
Tappan

Since it's been so long, let's start a new on, and those from the old list who decide to pop back in can add themselves back.

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Mir

Maybes:

PHLBOS
BAB (aka "Mustard-Pits")
RJPieces

Maybe if we each take a few names and IM them, we can build this up. I'll IM SNATH, STLGph, BMIFlyer, and Tappan.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

BMIFlyer

Sat May 27, 2006 2:20 am

Hey all, I'm afraid I cannot attend this meet.

It is too late for me to book flights now, maybe next time  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

mbmbos

Sat May 27, 2006 2:39 am

Here's a few ideas, brainstorming style...

Have lunch at Legal Seafood (Atlantic Ave.), then take the water taxi to the airport, as it is a scenic drive.

Meet in Winthrop, plan to have lunch at a seafood restaurant in Nahant (not the best restaurant in the world, but it's nearby, has a scenic view and can handle a large crowd). We can plan a visit to Ural Beach and the other little park (can't remember the name) for plane spotting.

Rent a boat and watch landing from the harbor.

CastleIsland

Sat May 27, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 9):
Rent a boat and watch landing from the harbor.

Well that certainly circumvents the "which location should we spot from" question. Do you know of a harbor-based rental place?

The problem with spotting at Logan is that the airport is a lousy place to do it, and depending on runway configurations, the travel from South Boston to Winthrop can take the better part of an hour. In certain configurations (e.g. 9 departures or 27 landings) there's no good place to do it, as they are stuck out into the hahbah. So a boat would avoid many of these potential pitfalls.

On land, I still stand by Castle Island  scratchchin  as the best place, since there is lots of room, it's a lovely setting, with park benches and an on-site hamburger/hot dog joint. Plus 4R/L landings are very common in the summer. In addition, the on-site fort is open for tours during the summer (not quite sure how often) and the top must surely provide a stunning view of Logan. Plus the planes would be almost at eye-level from that vantage point. Learn more here: http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/location.php?nid=6&sid=44

I'll confess that I've never been to the beach in E. Boston/Winthrop, however, so I'm game for whatever comes up.

mbmbos

Sat May 27, 2006 9:42 am

If we were to do the boat thing, a few of us could park at Logan, hop across by boat, then on the return to Logan head out to East Boston/Winthrop.

The park and beach that I have in mind can be pretty good for plane spotting, depending on which runways are used.

CastleIsland

Sat May 27, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 11):
If we were to do the boat thing, a few of us could park at Logan, hop across by boat, then on the return to Logan head out to East Boston/Winthrop.

So, Michael - a few details, if you will. You make it sound as if you can rent a boat at Logan. Do tell. All in all it sounds very intriguing...

I will have to see what schedule constraints I have for that weekend. As I have a gig the prior weekend, I may be free all weekend. It all depends on other gigs that may come up, but either way, I'll be hooking up with you all on Saturday.

BTW, I'll bet you a 6-pack that 4 R/L arrivals are happening that day. That said, I prefer take-offs, especially around 5-7 PM with the BA, LH and VS 744s.

vikkyvik

Sat May 27, 2006 10:11 am

I'm still a definite maybe for this one. I'd like to go, but I'll be starting a job in the next week or two, so I don't want to commit as of yet.

~Vik

(btw CI, I might be interested in a few bass lessons since I should have some spare cash in the next few months. I'll let you know.)
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mbmbos

Sat May 27, 2006 10:21 am

Well, I've discussed two different scenarios: taking the water taxi, or hiring a boat (which means with crew). If we have a large group, that could be affordable. If we have a small group, I can persuade my friend to bring her boat into the harbor from Quincy. I doubt she could handle more than 8, but she's a great captain and would be more than happy to contribute a day to the cause.

I'm with you. I love to watch the big internationals departing in the early evening. Frankly, showing up at the park in East Boston around 4 or 5 would probably provide the best plane spotting.

If planes are landing from the East-northeast (don't know my runways), Ural Beach can be quite a treat. The locals call it "getting a haircut". Approach is so close, you can see the snot dripping from the copilot's nose.

N766UA

Sat May 27, 2006 10:23 am

I'm not usually into these meets, but hey any excuse to go to Boston is a good one. Put me as maybe for the 23rd.
This Website Censors Me

CastleIsland

Sat May 27, 2006 12:10 pm

OK, you all, it's up to each and every one of you to take it upon themselves to add to the list of attendees. I'll do it this one last time, but, having been to 5 meets so far, it works best if we all pull for it and help by posting their intention on the attendees list. Thanks.

In:

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Mir
MBMBOS

Maybes:

N766UA
Vikkyvik
PHLBOS
BAB (aka "Mustard-Pits")
RJPieces

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 14):
I've discussed two different scenarios: taking the water taxi

Hey, that's the first I've heard of that term, which is why I asked for details. Please, Michael, fill us in in detail. By that I mean treat us as if we were from Siberia. There may be people coming from far away, and we all need DETAILS.

Thanks,

Logan (ret.)

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 am

Ok, I contacted the following:

LH423
MiCorazonAzul
Tunisia
Zone1
YOWza
Aerobalance

I cannot get ahold of gocaps16 as he has no pm function or email listed. if anyone can get ahold of him tha'd be great.

If we get the folks that say they will come i'll definately show up. Like I said, the prospect of driving for two hours for nothing isnt very appealing.

LH423

Mon May 29, 2006 11:21 am

I'm coming. Like I said, getting both days off will be tough, but I'm pretty certain I can get one off and even then I'm only part-time so I can still be around even if I am working (which, btw, is at Logan).

For spotting, some good places:

• Bayview St park, Winthrop (and the Winthrop town boat ramp are excellent for 27 arrivals)

• Constitution Beach (and neighbouring Bayswater Rd though i think the residents might get weirded out if hordes of men start milling about but great for 22 arrivals)

• Castle Island. A favourite from my childhood though not as close to the airport as other locations.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

CastleIsland

Mon May 29, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 18):
Castle Island

checkmark   Wink

Logan

tappan

Mon May 29, 2006 2:09 pm

Hey all....
and castleisland thanks for your work in getting this off the ground..
I hope to meet you all sometime on Saturday...
Maybe I could give someone my cell#...
Thanks,

CastleIsland

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:10 am

OK, just over three weeks to go. Any more takers? I went to Castle Island on Memorial Day for a spell, and driving by Jimmy's Harborside afterwards, I saw that it was boarded up. Oh well, plenty of other places to eat.

We should come up with some ideas about meeting up. It depends a lot on where (and whether) people are staying overnight and when, and also on runway configurations. For example, you all could hop on the shuttle bus to the MBTA Blue line and head inbound (away from Wonderland) and get off at Government Center. We could meet up on City Hall Plaza. From there, Castle Island is a short drive.

However, if we plan to spot from E. Boston/Winthrop, it makes no sense to come into the city first; you'd be better of taking the Blue line in the opposite direction and getting off at a stop such as Suffolk Downs.

How about some input?

Mir

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:16 am

If the airport is as bad for spotting as Logan makes it out to be, it doesn't make much sense to me to meet there, unless people are flying in.

Thusly, I pose the question, who is flying in?

I might, or I might drive or take the train. Whatever I do, RJPieces will likely also do.

-Mir

LHMark

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:19 am

Jeez, I might go, but all those friggin' chowds...
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

CastleIsland

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 23):

Take your pick, Bronx Honk:

Or...

PHLBOS

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:05 am

As I stated in the earlier threads; if I am able to head out there (I mapped out a (tentative but not yet booked) flight itinerary just in case), I probably won't by arriving at BOS until 2:30 PM that Saturday and would be staying overnight at a nearby motel. I would be flying back to PHL that Sunday morning.

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):
If the airport is as bad for spotting as Logan makes it out to be, it doesn't make much sense to me to meet there, unless people are flying in.

Thusly, I pose the question, who is flying in?

I might, or I might drive or take the train. Whatever I do, RJPieces will likely also do.

My suggestion would be, as was done at last August's NYC meet, to obtain any available cell phone numbers from one or 2 of the locals who will be attending and call after your flight arrives.

Depending on your arrival time and where everyone else is, one can just take the courtesy shuttle to the Blue Line Airport station and get at least close to where everyone will be as John/CastleIsland stated earlier.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 21):
We could meet up on City Hall Plaza. From there, Castle Island is a short drive.

That's brings up two all-encompassing questions:
1. How many of the locals plan on driving to this meet?
2. Will there be any room for 2 or 3 extra individuals that will be flying in?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

PHLBOS

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:29 am

However, if we plan to spot from E. Boston/Winthrop, it makes no sense to come into the city first; you'd be better of taking the Blue line in the opposite direction and getting off at a stop such as Suffolk Downs.

The Orient Heights station (near the corner of Bennington & Saratoga Streets (aka Route 145)) is actually closer to the East Boston/Winthrop spotting areas.

For example, you all could hop on the shuttle bus to the MBTA Blue line and head inbound (away from Wonderland) and get off at Government Center. We could meet up on City Hall Plaza. From there, Castle Island is a short drive.

How far is Castle Island from the new Silver Line station, Boston Marine Industrial Park (SL2 line)?

Okay, it's official... I'm IN! I just booked the flight & motel reservations a few moments ago. Hopefully, there will be no weather issues for that weekend.

Itinerary:
Saturday June 24, 2006
US Flight 140
Departing PHL at 1:30 PM
Arriving at BOS 2:51 PM

Staying at the Courtyard Marriott Boston/Revere along Route 1 (near Route 99 interchange and where the old Palace nightclub once stood).

Sunday June 25, 2006
FL Flight 765
Departing BOS at 7:05 AM
Arriving at PHL 8:36 AM

Courtesty shuttle transportation to/from BOS from/to my hotel is available. Since I will probably be arriving when everyone else will have already arrived; I can contact someone (I have CastleIsland's cell number) when my flight arrives and map out the logistics on getting over to where everyone is and forego checking into my motel until later that day/night.

My inbound US flight is listed as an A319; maybe I'll get lucky and it will be one of the Heritage planes. Big grin

I'm looking forward to this meet.

CastleIsland

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
Okay, it's official... I'm IN!

Cool, Chris. Glad to hear it.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
How far is Castle Island from the new Silver Line station, Boston Marine Industrial Park (SL2 line)?

Way too far to walk (probably over 2 miles), but certainly close enough for one of us to pop over and pick you up in about 5-10 minutes if we are at Castle Island. As the crow flies, it's probably well less than a mile, but as you know, you sure can't drive as the crow flies in BOS.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 25):
My suggestion would be, as was done at last August's NYC meet, to obtain any available cell phone numbers from one or 2 of the locals who will be attending and call after your flight arrives.

Both you and Justin (Cadet57) have mine, although I've misplaced any I may have had.

2. Will there be any room for 2 or 3 extra individuals that will be flying in?

I have room for 3-4 more people in my car (preferably only 3).

Mir

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:01 am

What does the schedule look like for Saturday? The last B6 flight leaves at 7:50pm, which seems likely to conflict with dinner.

-Mir

CastleIsland

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:49 pm

Dave: Do you mean leaving LGA? My guess is that we'll (mostly) be convened sometime around 10:00 - 11:00 AM, and just hanging wherever after that. Dinner will be far more easy to organize if it's at 5 pm rather than 6 or 7 pm, but that JetBlue flight will definitely kill any dinner plans.

Mir

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:54 pm

I mean the last BOS-JFK flight leaves at 7:50pm. I'd want to be at the airport by 6:50, which kind of cuts dinner short (if we had dinner at 5, it might be doable, but I'd hate to have to leave in the middle of things).

In any case, it's somewhat of a moot point, since I think I'll be taking the bus back instead.

-Mir

CastleIsland

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
it's somewhat of a moot point, since I think I'll be taking the bus back instead

As an A.netter, you should probably say "mute point," as that would be understood by more members.  Wink

Yeah, dinner will go from somewhere around 5 or 6 to 7 or 8 PM, I would think. Then again, we could get together at a place like the No-name seafood restaurant around 4 PM when few people are there. It's not glamorous, and it's kind of crusty, but it's near Castle Island, and we could bring in any number of people and do whatever. Really fresh seafood on the docks in Southie. Maybe if most of us get in in the late morning, we could find an early lunch thing (~11AM - Castle Island has Sullivan's - a greasy hamburger and hot dog joint, but it is actually good). Then we'd be hungry by 4 or 5 and have the impetus to go to the No-name. Thing is, the heavies come in late afternoon and many leave between 4-7 PM. This also depends on where we're spotting, obviously.

So many questions...

rjpieces

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:28 am

Hey all,

I'd like to attend. Still trying to work out the logistics...

Any more ideas on a tentative schedule for the day so I could figure out what my flight/train options are would be much appreciated.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

deltairlines

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 am

If you guys are out there early in the morning of the 24th...keep an eye out for a Comair CRJ heading out to GSO, as I'm heading down to North Carolina that weekend. I doubt I can make it the Friday night before hand too, however there is a chance that I'll be at Constitution Beach that Friday afternoon (nice and easy to get to from the Blue Line...a mere 3 minute walk).

Jeff

yowza

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:04 am

Sorry boys and girls it turns out work is sending me to the middle of nowhere so I will not be able to make the BOS meet. Hoepfully I can make the next one.

YOWza

PHLBOS

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 31):
Yeah, dinner will go from somewhere around 5 or 6 to 7 or 8 PM, I would think.

John,

Since I will be arriving around 3 PM, my personal preference (I realize that I might be over-ruled on this one but I thought I'd throw it out there) would be to have dinner a little bit later (7 or 8 PM) to maximize some of the spotting time; especially with it not getting dark until 8 or 8:30 PM. Just a thought.

Depending on what gets decided in terms of choosing a restaurant; it would be wise make an advance reservation if possible... especially if we have a sizable number attending.

Any other thoughts.

tanyaluvs2fly

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:18 am

I'd love to go but am working that weekend  Sad Takes me 3 hrs to get to BOS from maine.. i'm always looking for a reason to get there
Live, Laugh, Love!

rjpieces

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 35):
Depending on what gets decided in terms of choosing a restaurant; it would be wise make an advance reservation if possible... especially if we have a sizable number attending.

So should we start a new list of those definitly attending (and staying for dinner)?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

CastleIsland

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:32 am

Since I will be arriving around 3 PM, my personal preference (I realize that I might be over-ruled on this one but I thought I'd throw it out there) would be to have dinner a little bit later (7 or 8 PM) to maximize some of the spotting time; especially with it not getting dark until 8 or 8:30 PM. Just a thought.

A good point. 8 or 8:30 would be fine with me. Thing is, most restaurants will be crowded at that time. Also, if I have to spot for more than about two hours, I'll get restless. The hours from about 4 - 7 PM are probably best for heavies departing.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 37):

So should we start a new list of those definitly attending (and staying for dinner)?

I should be around for dinner. Thing is many of the restaurants I was thinking of in the Haymarket area are more pub-like (Green Dragon, Bell-in-Hand, Purple Shamrock) and do not take reservations. The Union Oyster house would be an exception, but strolling in there in shorts and T-shirts would be frowned upon. Unlike the LAS meet where we could all go back to our rooms, change and easily make dinner, this dinner is going to have to be a more casual place after spotting on a hot day.

Zone1

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:06 am

I'm still in guys.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 10):
The problem with spotting at Logan is that the airport is a lousy place to do it, and depending on runway configurations, the travel from South Boston to Winthrop can take the better part of an hour. In certain configurations (e.g. 9 departures or 27 landings) there's no good place to do it, as they are stuck out into the hahbah.

I've left my place in Watertown for either Castle Island or Point Shirley and by the time I get out there runway configurations have already changed. It's annoying when that happens.

I don't have a car since I'm only in Boston during the summer for an internship, so I'll need a ride if we don't use the T.
/// U N I T E D

CastleIsland

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:48 am

In:

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Mir
MBMBOS
PHLBOS
Zone 1
RJPieces (pretty sure)

Maybes:

N766UA
Vikkyvik
BAB (aka "Mustard-Pits")

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 am

Ok. Finally im unbanned.... quiet Logan  Wink

As for a car, I will have mine and room for 3-4 more. If anyone would like a ride they are welcome to one.

Cell phones, Castleisland has mine and I have his so we can have some coordnation.

I think now we should set some sort of central meeting place. IDK what everyones plans are nor where they are coming from so if everyone wants to throw their hat in on this one, lets do so.

Small aside, seems none of my shots from this meet will be of a.net caliber.... My 75-300 lens is on backorder and wont be in for next week... I only have my 18-55 and 28-90... Unless someone has an extra canon EOS lying around I can borrow  Wink

baylorairbear

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:20 am

Sorry guys. Looks like I'm out for this one.  Sad

I've got a huge trip to Oz mid-July, and I've got to save as much dough as possible. One day, though...

BAB wave 
I'm just skipping stones...

texan

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:36 am

Unfortunately cannot make it to this one. Anytime y'all want to meet in BOS after August, let me know and I should be able to make it.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

PHLBOS

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 41):
I think now we should set some sort of central meeting place. IDK what everyones plans are nor where they are coming from so if everyone wants to throw their hat in on this one, lets do so.

Fair enough. Using Castleisland's list (from Reply #40) as a starting point, here's my  twocents  in bold
In:

Cadet57
CastleIsland
LH423
Mir
MBMBOS
PHLBOS arrive Sat. approx. 3 PM on US Flight #140, (will call upon arrival) staying at the Courtyard Marriott Boston/Revere along Route 1. Leaving Sunday morning on FL Flight #765
Zone 1
RJPieces (pretty sure)

Maybes:

N766UA
Vikkyvik

Feel free to add/modify as needed.

mbmbos

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:17 am

I am very disappointed to say that I won't be able to attend this event. Last December I had committed to attending a wedding in New Hampshire on this weekend and only recently realized the conflict in my schedule.

I am very sorry I won't have the chance to meet you guys. I hope another opportunity comes up soon.

- MBM

N766UA

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:26 am

Count me out, gotta work.
This Website Censors Me

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 44):
Cadet57
CastleIsland(later in the day?)
LH423
Mir
PHLBOS arrive Sat. approx. 3 PM on US Flight #140, (will call upon arrival) staying at the Courtyard Marriott Boston/Revere along Route 1. Leaving Sunday morning on FL Flight #765
Zone 1
RJPieces (pretty sure)

Maybes:

Vikkyvik

Ok, heres the updated list. PHLBOS, if you need a pickup, Im willing as I've said. You can PM and I'll provide my cellphone number. Id say as a meeting point, a hotel or landmark nearby then go from there on spotting and what not.

Mir

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:57 am

RJPieces and I have come to the conclusion that we're driving. We'll be staying Saturday night in Braintree, and then heading back Sunday morning, as I have to be back in NYC in the early afternoon.

-Mir

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 48):
RJPieces and I have come to the conclusion that we're driving.

Sounds good. Cant wait to see you.

PS, Cadet57 is very happy as he bought a 75-300 lens to go spotting. But he may or may not have his new digi rebel in time, so he will have to shoot film. As for why I did this in the 3rd person, IDK...