satx

High Gas Prices? Don't Just Complain, Act!

Fri May 26, 2006 11:56 pm

Take Action Now to Reduce Our Nation’s Oil Consumption!

High Gas PricesConsumers are paying record high prices for gas and major oil companies are announcing their biggest profits in corporate history - $100 billion over the last five years. Congress should act now on energy policy that addresses the oil industry’s anticompetitive practices and reduces our nation’s oil consumption.

Write your Representative today and tell him/her to support legislation by Representatives Markey and Boehlert to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and light trucks to 33 miles per gallon. Raising mileage requirements on cars is an obvious first step in reducing our nation’s oil consumption.

Tell them you have had enough and want leadership on energy policy TODAY!!

To learn more about oil industry deception, read a recent report by Consumer Federation of America and Consumers Union titled, “Debunking Oil Company Myths and Deception: The $100 Billion Consumer Rip-Off.”

You can act by clicking here...

http://cu.convio.net/site/R?i=yHOhjMzwPK2cG1Vok2ezZQ..
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

baylorairbear

RE: High Gas Prices? Don't Just Complain, Act!

Sat May 27, 2006 12:10 am

Gas prices... yawn 

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

NWA742

Sat May 27, 2006 12:14 am

Hmmm......just for you SATX, I'll be thinking about getting one of these some day.

rotfl 

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

cosec59

Sat May 27, 2006 12:16 am

If you Americans think your fuel prices are high, perhaps you should buy some here!!.
99.9p per litre
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

baylorairbear

Sat May 27, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 3):
99.9p per litre

Please translate. My international conversion chip has been disabled.

Thank you,

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

cosec59

Sat May 27, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 4):
99.9p per litre

Please translate

$8.50 per gallon

MaverickM11

Sat May 27, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting SATX (Thread starter):
Raising mileage requirements on cars is an obvious first step in reducing our nation’s oil consumption.

HOW ABOUT BUYING CARS WITH HIGHER MPGS!? WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND???? If you buy gas guzzlers, companies will build gas guzzlers. It's so simple it's retarded.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ManuCH
Crew

Sat May 27, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 2):
Hmmm......just for you SATX, I'll be thinking about getting one of these some day.

And I think I'll be getting this one...

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

AsstChiefMark

Sat May 27, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 5):
$8.50 per gallon

It should be about $7 a gallon. US Gallon = 3.78 litres.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MigFan

Sat May 27, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
HOW ABOUT BUYING CARS WITH HIGHER MPGS!? WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND???? If you buy gas guzzlers, companies will build gas guzzlers. It's so simple it's retarded.

How about making a practical car that has high MPG. Compact cars do not count, for me, being 6'4" a compact car is a rather painful ride. We can all buy Hyundais, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Mitsubishi, but how is that helpful? The money goes to Japan, and I think those cars suck.

20 grand for a VW golf is not practical.

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

2H4

Sat May 27, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting MigFan (Reply 9):
The money goes to Japan, and I think those cars suck.

What criteria do you use to arrive at that conclusion? Just curious.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AA777

Sat May 27, 2006 2:30 am

20 grand for a VW golf is not practical.

Step into a VW GTI, and you'd be surprised how roomy it is. I am about 6'3" and still, its a roomy car.....

-AA777

cfalk

Sat May 27, 2006 2:49 am

How about making a practical car that has high MPG. Compact cars do not count, for me, being 6'4" a compact car is a rather painful ride. We can all buy Hyundais, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Mitsubishi, but how is that helpful? The money goes to Japan, and I think those cars suck.

If everyone started buying Toyotas, VWs etc because they were more fuel efficient, and gm sales went through the floor, don't you think they will notice in the GM boardroom?

As long as people continue to buy the big tanks, they have no incentive to produce anything smaller.

[Edited 2006-05-26 20:04:44]
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Boeing Nut

Sat May 27, 2006 3:02 am

High Gas Prices? Don't Just Complain, Act!

Done! (Prius owner)

Sitting right next to my Dakota Quad Cab.
 mischievous 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

MaverickM11

Sat May 27, 2006 3:23 am

How about making a practical car that has high MPG.

If Americans would BUY cars with higher MPGs then they'd MAKE them. The same goes for movies...if Americans would STOP GOING to Adam Sandler/Freddie Prinze Jr/Lindsay Lohan movies they'd STOP MAKING them and we'd all be better off.
E pur si muove -Galileo

2H4

Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 14):

If only we could tax shortsightedness and bad taste...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

cosec59

Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):

then perhaps you would be bankrupt

jetjack74

Sat May 27, 2006 5:53 am

Take Action Now to Reduce Our Nation’s Oil Consumption!

No ones listening, Travel this weekend is expected to grow 3 percent from last year. 92 percent of Americans are planning on aking a vacation this year according to tripadvisor.com
Made from jets!

NIKV69

Sat May 27, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):

checkmark 

Everyone in this country should drive a vehicle that gets at least 25 MPG both highway and city.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

satx

Sat May 27, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 17):
No ones listening, Travel this weekend is expected to grow 3 percent from last year. 92 percent of Americans are planning on aking a vacation this year according to tripadvisor.com

Good point, and another reason that America seems more like the land of infinite hypocrisy. They sure seem to be complaining a lot for a group that does such a good job of ignoring the most obvious answer.

[Edited 2006-05-26 23:07:00]

MaverickM11

Sat May 27, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):

I'd be totally fine with that! In fact I think a tax based on the mileage you put on your car wouldn't be half bad either. It would combat sprawl, traffic, and pollution in one swoop.
E pur si muove -Galileo

2H4

Sat May 27, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 20):
In fact I think a tax based on the mileage you put on your car wouldn't be half bad either.

Interesting idea...it would also address road maintenance...the more one uses the roads, the more one pays for their upkeep. I wonder if anyone has tried such a system.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

MigFan

Sat May 27, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
What criteria do you use to arrive at that conclusion? Just curious.

Experience mainly. My in-laws have Toyotas, and I think they are built cheap (cheaper than most cars today). I do not think any of the vehicles out there are actually worth what they cost, sorry BMW. The toyotas all have that "K-Mart" fake wood trim in their interiors. Toyota trucks were a joke where I grew up (New England). They would rust out in a few years from the weather, not to mention they are just too damned expensive.

Quoting AA777 (Reply 11):
Step into a VW GTI, and you'd be surprised how roomy it is. I am about 6'3" and still, its a roomy car.....

I used to have a 97 Jetta, and man, that was one uncomfortable car, but it was good on gas. My wife has a Cavalier, it is like driving a go-cart to me.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 12):
If everyone started buying Toyotas, VWs etc because they were more fuel efficient, and gm sales went through the floor, don't you think they will notice in the GM boardroom?

Sure, but that will never happen. You actually have a better chance of being struck by lightning, or seeing dubya's approval ratings go up! Some people need to use their vehcile for other purposes than a simple conveyance. Movers, contractors, and tradesman all need vehicles to suit their jobs. Place fuel economy in that frame and you will get one word "diesel".

Rock on with your Prius, where do you put the batteries?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 14):
If Americans would BUY cars with higher MPGs then they'd MAKE them. The same goes for movies...if Americans would STOP GOING to Adam Sandler/Freddie Prinze Jr/Lindsay Lohan movies they'd STOP MAKING them and we'd all be better off.

What does one have to do with the other? Are your theatrical tastes more defined than the rest of us?

Tool!

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

satx

Sat May 27, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Migfan (Reply 22):
dubya's approval ratings go up!

They will and they are.

Seriously, Bush is much more popular than his numbers first indicate. Just compare Bush's numbers to Kerry's or Gore's and you'll see he's doing fine. America may hate Bush, but they hate most liberals even more. Blame it on our 'liberal media'.

greaser

Sat May 27, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 23):
Seriously, Bush is much more popular than his numbers first indicate. Just compare Bush's numbers to Kerry's or Gore's and you'll see he's doing fine. America may hate Bush, but they hate most liberals even more. Blame it on our 'liberal media'.

Truman had like 23% popularity when he went out, and now we all think he's a good president (because he is!) Popularity of polls are nothing but an indication of what kind of measures/legislation a president can push...remember when Truman fired Mccarthur? 69% of the country was behind the general that wanted WWIII with China, and nuclear warfare. These polls are based mainy on pure emotion.

Anyway..back to the topic, why do Americans continue to buy homes further and further away from the cities (jobs)??? All this whining about high gas prices, next thing you know a suburban family lives 20 miles from work, drives a car that gets 13mpg, and whine about it! These people just don't get it.

(excuse the language) but WTF are we doing making CARS (NOT JUST SUVs) that get less than 25 mpg???? Why do people buy cars with a 5.8 HEMI that drinks faster than Peter Griffin??? What good does it do to have a car that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds??? last time i checked, street racing is not only illegal, but expensive. How is it possible that instead of the human race evolving, we are degenerating. We create cars today that are actually less efficient than that of the 80's!
Now you're really flying

MaverickM11

Sat May 27, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Migfan (Reply 22):
Are your theatrical tastes more defined than the rest of us?

If you are into Adam Sandler/Freddie Prinze Jr movies, then yes Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

BR715-A1-30

Sat May 27, 2006 8:04 am

The money for my 2006 Toyota Corolla goes to California... Well, actually it goes to Carol Stream, IL where I finance the vehicle... It may be a japanese designed car, but it is built here in the good ole' USA.
Puhdiddle

AirWillie6475

Sat May 27, 2006 8:09 am

Why don't they build new refineries?

satx

Sat May 27, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 27):
Why don't they build new refineries?

Why did they close the ones they already had?

AirWillie6475

Sat May 27, 2006 8:32 am

I hear there is more oil in Colorado and Utah to make us independent of the middle east for a thousand years. I don't know what they are waiting for or what they are afraid of? Hippies with flowers??

[Edited 2006-05-27 01:33:20]

[Edited 2006-05-27 01:33:54]

[Edited 2006-05-27 01:34:30]

[Edited 2006-05-27 01:36:25]

LO231

Sat May 27, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 21):
Interesting idea...it would also address road maintenance...the more one uses the roads, the more one pays for their upkeep. I wonder if anyone has tried such a system.

It's called road tax in Europe, only car owners pay them...

BTW, don't you have toll in America? That's where they get the maintenance money from...

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

2H4

Sat May 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 30):
BTW, don't you have toll in America?

Only on certain freeways. The vast, vast majority of roads in the US are not toll roads.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AirframeAS

Sat May 27, 2006 12:38 pm

The US East coast cities have toll roads while the US West coast cities don't really have them at all, at least I hadn't seen one yet.

Our road taxes comes from vehicle excise taxes and some of it from gas taxes.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AirframeAS

Sat May 27, 2006 12:39 pm

Double post, pls remove.

[Edited 2006-05-27 05:44:43]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ANCFlyer

Sat May 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 29):
I hear there is more oil in Colorado and Utah to make us independent of the middle east for a thousand years. I don't know what they are waiting for or what they are afraid of?

Eviro-Nutjobs that won't let anyone build anything without years worth of study and permitting and court hearings. . . .

On and on and on . . . .

That's why.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

sccutler

Sat May 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Wild rantings aside, it is true that we need to have vehicles which use less fuel, and while I love using an SUV when I need one, I *need* one about two days a year.

I drive a cadillac Deville which gets remarkably good highway mileage - over 25mpg is routine - but still uses more than I'd like in the city, as you cannot cheat inertia and mass. My next car will be smaller, something like an Audi A3 perhaps?

My wife's Jetta Turbo goes like a bat outta hell, pretty miserly on gas, and was at least built in "the Americas" (Puebla, Mexico, and from what I can tell, built as well as any German car I've seen, so kudos to the quality labor down there).

If you realy want to talk comprehensive approach, though, don;t focus in one place; attack all angles at the same time.

>> Rational increases in fuel economy standards make sense (and the President just enacted some, how 'bout that?);

>> Encourage your congress critters to support responsible development of new drilling (yes, we can drill in the arctic without creating avast cesspool of filth, and offshore without killing all the little seals), which is only good sense;

>> Demand IMMEDIATE repeal of mandated use of corn-derived ethanol; it is nothing but a price-support program for corn growers and a massive gimme for agribusiness giant Archer-Daniels-Midland; corn-based ethanol takes essentially as much energy to produce as it yields; and creates greater pollution problems in urban areas (and by the way, don't babble about Brazil to me on this, they produce their ethanol from sugar cane, of which they have a surfeit, and its production is vastly more efficient than the corn process);

>> Help to spread the word: fuel refineries produce usable energy and employ people in good jobs; build some!

No silever bullets, just common sense, but an unyielding light shined on this problem can and will, in the long-run, make s difference.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

TPAnx

Sun May 28, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Greaser (Reply 24):
why do Americans continue to buy homes further and further away from the cities (jobs)???

Around the Tampa Bay area, it's to find affordable housing.Prices have soared, and a lot of people just can't afford to live where they'd like to.
In one in the middle-of-nowhere county in Florida, EVERY newly-hired teacher cancelled his/her contract, because of the lack of housing they could afford.
Mass transit would seem to be the answer..but given the average American's
love (addiction) to their car..it's not likely.  Angry
TPAnx
(By the way, I drive a Buick LeSabre Limited, with a 3.8 liter engine. I get 30 MPG on long interstate trips, about 20-25 MPG around town.)
I read the news today..oh boy

satx

Sun May 28, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 34):
Eviro-Nutjobs that won't let anyone build anything without years worth of study and permitting and court hearings.

That does nothing to explain why they closed so many that were already in existence. It's not like the oil companies didn't know that they would face more opposition once they tried to open yet another refinery later. NIMBY's have been around since the 60's and the days of leaving corporate decisions that can affect public health unquestioned are over.

Of course that never stopped you from coming on here to protect the oil companies from concerned consumers, as if it's the oil companies who are the ones who need protecting. Just keep bashing anyone who questions Corporate America's will to do the right thing and I'm sure you'll eventually amass a legion of ignorant supporters of more rights for businesses at the expense of the public's right to a transparent, responsible, and equitable market.

MigFan

Mon May 29, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 25):
If you are into Adam Sandler/Freddie Prinze Jr movies, then yes

Whatever, go watch the Sundance channel...
UH-60's suck!!!

LOT767-300ER

Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 26):
The money for my 2006 Toyota Corolla goes to California... Well, actually it goes to Carol Stream, IL where I finance the vehicle...

I drove through Carol Stream today...nice roads...must be because of your money.

Quoting LO231 (Reply 30):
It's called road tax in Europe, only car owners pay them...

BTW, don't you have toll in America? That's where they get the maintenance money from...

@UJOhgnfdsf F*ck Toll Roads in the USA. Anyone who lives in Illinois passionately hates the I-Dot and the Illinois Tollways. They are NOTORIOUS for having endless construction, worst surfaces and the Irish/Italian Mayor Daley mafia who rips off people from the suburbs of Chicago (and still manages to raise tolls for non I-Pass users)

Reason #165 to dislike France - 100km will cost you god damn 20Euro. Which creates what? Endless traffic jams on secondary roads where there are no tolls.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):
The US East coast cities have toll roads while the US West coast cities don't really have them at all, at least I hadn't seen one yet.

Midwest too...count most of Chicago in with the exception of some stretches of I-94 and I-290 (toll-free)

MrChips

Mon May 29, 2006 11:33 am

Congress should act now on energy policy that addresses the oil industry’s anticompetitive practices

Wow. Just Wow.

That is probably the most uninformed piece of information I've ever seen here. Every time gas prices go up, consumers go insane and demand their governments to investigate these horrible oil companies and their supposed price fixing/gouging.

Every time the government reports back that there is no such thing happening. It happened in the 1970s, it happened in the 1980s and it is happening now - history will prove to repeat itself once again.

Funny how no one was investigating the oil companies in the mid 1990s (oil was $12/bbl back then) when gouging the consumers would have been a worthwhile activity, if only to stay in business.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

NWA742

Mon May 29, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 40):
That is probably the most uninformed piece of information I've ever seen here.

From SATX, no doubt.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

fanoftristars

Mon May 29, 2006 1:51 pm

Our biggest problem here in the US with high gas prices is that we use too much, and we're willing to pay the prices they are charging. Sure the oil companies are making record profits, but guess who is paying the prices? That's right we're helping them to make record profits. So now China is awaking and buying the oil we used to consume on our own. Demand is up, prices are up.

If we want cheaper oil, we need to quit buying huge SUVs, and quit moving out into ungodly suburbs, while driving our SUV into the city. Then gas prices will go down. If we are unwilling to do either, we need to get used to the $3 gallon of gas. Yeah, I could afford a much larger house 40 minutes from SLC, but gesus, why would I want to drive 40 minutes each way, when I can drive 5 minutes, and have a house that is smaller, but fits my needs?
"FLY DELTA JETS"

2H4

Mon May 29, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 42):
Yeah, I could afford a much larger house 40 minutes from SLC, but gesus, why would I want to drive 40 minutes each way, when I can drive 5 minutes, and have a house that is smaller, but fits my needs?

I hear you, Fanoftristars. I could afford a modest house in the country, but instead, I live one (1) mile away from work in a condo and honestly can't remember the last time or place I bought gas. Is my situation the answer for everyone? Certainly not, but boy am I enjoying it.  Smile

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Mir

Mon May 29, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
Anyone who lives in Illinois passionately hates the I-Dot and the Illinois Tollways. They are NOTORIOUS for having endless construction, worst surfaces and the Irish/Italian Mayor Daley mafia who rips off people from the suburbs of Chicago (and still manages to raise tolls for non I-Pass users)

Driving through Chicago recently, I tried to find a highway that was not under construction. In vain. Every single damn highway in that place was under construction.

Oh, and somebody tell that idiot Daley that putting a toll booth every mile does not help traffic flow. If New Jersey can figure out that tickets and a toll booth at each on and off-ramp are the way to go, anybody can do it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LOT767-300ER

Mon May 29, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
Driving through Chicago recently, I tried to find a highway that was not under construction. In vain. Every single damn highway in that place was under construction.

Oh, and somebody tell that idiot Daley that putting a toll booth every mile does not help traffic flow. If New Jersey can figure out that tickets and a toll booth at each on and off-ramp are the way to go, anybody can do it.

Oh wait, but theres OPEN ROAD TOLLING. If you go up I-94 to Milwaukee theres one fully functional there...

There a shitfest going on @ the O'Hare main toll right now on I-90...and I dont want to even know whats instore at I-355.

BTW, you know what is really idiotic. At the O'Hare toll (the one just before the main one, when you get off I-90 to get to I-190 that goes to ORD Terminals...there are only I-Pass and baskets with change. No freaking attendants! Idiots! Can you imagine the hundreds of thousands of foreigners and people that pass through that toll weekly and no attendants....

Even the Beeline 417 highway connecting MCO to I-4 has about 4-5 attendants at both tolls.

L410Turbolet

Mon May 29, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 29):
I hear there is more oil in Colorado and Utah to make us independent of the middle east for a thousand years. I don't know what they are waiting for or what they are afraid of?

You've probably "heard" that wonderful piece of news from some reliable source, I guess. Perhaps this one???

or was it the White House press statement???

[Edited 2006-05-29 10:36:07]

satx

Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 41):
Quoting MrChips (Reply 40):
That is probably the most uninformed piece of information I've ever seen here.

From SATX, no doubt.

-NWA742

Typical useless post of yours. Feel free to start your own "The reason I love my favorite Oil company is...." or "The reason I hate all NIMBY's is...." threads. Maybe that will make you feel better?

NWA742

Tue May 30, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 47):
Typical useless post of yours

Well.......I got a kick out of it.

scratchchin 

Quoting SATX (Reply 47):
Feel free to start your own "The reason I love my favorite Oil company is...." or "The reason I hate all NIMBY's is...." threads. Maybe that will make you feel better?

Maybe, except for the fact that I don't have a favorite oil company, and if you look at a definition of "Nimby" that I found: A person who hopes or seeks to keep some dangerous or unpleasant feature out of his or her neighborhood..................I actually share this basic idea - in the context of hoping to keep dangerous and unpleasant enviro nutjobs and hardcore liberals like you out of my neighborhood.

rotfl 

-NWA742

satx

Tue May 30, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 48):
I actually share this basic idea - in the context of hoping to keep dangerous and unpleasant enviro nutjobs and hardcore liberals like you out of my neighborhood.

So you see danger in people with differing views eh? That explains a lot.