runway23

What To Visit In China?

Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:35 am

So it appears (...) that in a little over a month, you shall witness an eclipse of a rhaat (ie. nice summer break) as myself and daddy rhaat shall go to China for about 16 days.

We have planned to visit Shanghai and Beijing. However I am looking for suggestions for other cities/places which are worthwhile visiting so that I can scheme my vacation.

Thanks

SP90

RE: What To Visit In China?

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:07 am

Here are some suggestions:

1. Great Wall
2. Forbidden City
3. The Qin Terra Cotta Army in Xian
4. Yangtze River Cruise
5. Guilin (if your into nice scenery)
6. Hong Kong

Perhaps the a.netters from the PRC can offer some more?

runway23

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:42 am

Regarding Hong Kong we have alrhaaeady been there, so that is something we won't do again (not this time at least).

Anybody been to Chengdu or able to spare some light as to if it is really worth it or not?

carnoc

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:21 pm

You may want to have a look the following guide, quite informative:

http://dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp?ci...tion=viewLocation&locationId=22799

Regards.

DLPMMM

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 2):
Anybody been to Chengdu or able to spare some light as to if it is really worth it or not?

The panda preserve was prety cool (and if you bribe the caretakers, you can pet and get your picture taken with a live full grown panda).

There were a few other tourist-type attractions, but nothing to write home about.

Sanya on Hainan Island was a nice beach resort type of get-away with great seafood restuarants (big aquariums where you pick your seafood out, get it weighed, and then they cook it for you in the style of your choice).

Nan Jing Liu is the main pedistrian shopping street in Shanghai, with a nice Sofitel Hotel in the middle of it.

Have fun

nateDAL

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:58 pm

Dunhuang is nice. There are some great buddhist grottoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogao_Caves
Set Love Free

CPH757

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:22 am

There are lots of exciting sites in China, but it depends on what you aer looking forward. If you primary interest is major cities and cultural history, I would strongly recommend a visit in the old Nationalist capital of Nanjing at the Yangtze - only 3 hours by train from Shanghai. In the Shanghai area there are the beautiful cities of Suzhou and Hangzhou as well. Both with ancient Chinese buildings, lakes, canals and pagodas. Definitely worth a visit.

For experiencing nature and the less modern Chinese, go west. Chengdu is a calm (by Chinese standard) city, and a good base for exploring sites as panda preserves, and especially the amazing mountains of Emei (Emeishan), where you can hike to the top through a beautiful scenery, and eventually taking the night break at a lonely monastery.

You might also take a look at the Yunnan province. the regional capital of Kunming has lots of beautiful scenery nearby, and it is a great base for visiting the astonishing mountain cities of Dali and Lijiang, which host yet more beautiful nature, and are the homes of some of China's minorities.

As another one suggested, the Guilin area has spectacular landscapes. If you choose to visit, head for Yangshuo just south of Guilin. The boat ride between offers amazing scenery comparable with the three gorges, but it is heavily touristed. Stay in Yangshuo to rest for a few days. Rent a bike an take a trip in the countryside among the big Karst hills and the rice paddies.

All the above mentioned places are easy to get to. They are all reachable by train and most by air.

I you have any questions, feel free to ask  Smile
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-