Falcon84
Topic Author

Late Marines' Dad Suing Westboro Baptist

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:06 am

I'm normally not for lawsuits that, under other circumstances, might seem frivilous, but maybe this is a good way to keep those kooks from Westboro Baptist Church from protesting at military funerals-bankrupt them.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...ters/n20060605151709990004?cid=505

I think every family that has these jerks show up should do the same, to make it financially impossible for them to keep doing this.

Kudo's to this dad.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Boeing744

RE: Late Marines' Dad Suing Westboro Baptist

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:10 am

Good for him! I really REALLY hope he wins his suit. Unfortunately from what I have read, the leader of the WBC (Fred Phelps Sr.) has a fairly powerful law firm. However, even if this man does not win his suit, it will stir up more controversey regarding the WBC.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:10 am

Good for this guy.

Most lawsuits are frivilous and ridiculous - and one could possible classify this one the same way - but as you said Falcon - if every family that had these assholes show up at a funeral sued them, they'd have no time to attend funerals . . . too many court dates . . . and it would bankrupt them.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:11 am

I don't think it'll bankrupt them. Old man Phelps was a lawyer (and a crafty one at that), and I think some of his spawn went to law school too. They'll just represent themselves and spend the other side's money long before any damage is done.

I wish the soldier's family luck, however.
International Homo of Mystery

TedTAce

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:16 am

Fuck the Phelps'. I hope they get legally reamed until they are all on welfare and begging for a place to live.
This space intentionally left blank

aa757first

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:18 am

If this is tried in front of a jury (which it will be), I seriously doubt WBC has any chance of wining.

AAndrew

Daleaholic

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:19 am

Good on this guy. I hope he wins. From what I know this group is targeting innocent people. They deserve to be sued for all they're worth!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ewwforever

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 am

I wonder if any of Phelps fellow church leaders (if you can call them that), such as Falwell or Pat Robertson will support him on this. This might kick off a big battle between freedom of speech and religion.
Hurry...Before the parade passes by !

jaysit

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:38 am

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/phelpsbio.html

This clown never went to law school.

But I bet he has a bevy of "God loving" lawyers at his command, much like all the religious fundies do.

I'm curious as to where Phelps and his goon squad get their funding from?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AeroWesty

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 8):

He was a Public Defender at one point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps#Phelps.27_law_career

jaysit

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):

He was a Public Defender at one point.

Good lord.

Thanks for the correction. That Wikipedia article on him is scary.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AeroWesty

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 11):
That Wikipedia article on him is scary.

Isn't it though? Maybe they've gone back to selling candy and baby strollers.

Pope

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 am

Jay, depending on how literally you interpret the matter, I think you may be wrong on that count. At the very least, he was a practicing attorney. According to the Anti-Defamation league (link below) he was an attorney and was disbarred in 1979 by the State of Kansas and surrendered his bar card from the federal circuit in 1989 in a settlement.

http://www.adl.org/special_reports/wbc/default.asp

It's not clear how he gained admission to the bar in the first place. He may have "read" for the bar.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

DC10GUY

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:03 am

Fight for these people ? give me a break. I'm sorry but that soildier died for our greed not our freedom...  Wow!
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

MDorBust

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 15):
Fight for these people ? give me a break. I'm sorry but that soildier died for our greed not our freedom...

That soldier died because he knowingly accepted a risk when he signed up for a volunteer force and was called upon to perform the duty he swore to.

The father would have to sue his own son, not the POTUS. Take it elsewhere.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Go3Team

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:35 am

As it has been said, the Phelps family is a family of lawyers. Thats how they make their money. Where they get their clients from, I don't know. I doubt the man will win, but I certainly hope he does. I hope one day, that their church bus just happens to wander in front of a coked up truck driver and nobody lives. Shame on the kids though, they are pretty much brainwashed at this point.
Yay Pudding!

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 10):
He should sue George Bush for sending his son to die for oil in the first place...

Fight for these people ? give me a break. I'm sorry but that soildier died for our greed not our freedom...

Hmmmm, more drivel . . . .  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

chrisjake

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:43 am

Fight for these people ? give me a break. I'm sorry but that soildier died for our greed not our freedom... Wow!

whoa....DC10GUY, chill out.

it may be your belief, but thats not what we're talkin about. I'm not a Bush fan myself, but that doesnt belong here.

meanwhile....

i'm all for this lawsuit, but i worry that it won't float I wish we could just beat their asses.

chris

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 am

He should sue George Bush for sending his son to die for oil in the first place...

His son willingly volunteered to serve, DC10GUY, and he took an oath to defend the United States, if called upon to do so. His C-in-C, whether you or I liked the reason for the war-and we both didn't-called him to service, and he did.

I'd like to see you put your life on the line like those guys did. I'm sure not all of them agreed with the war, but they went, and the oveerwhelming majority have served honorably. And they deserve a burial that's free from lowlifes like those who are protesting when they are laid to rest.

Being against the war is fine. Putting forth garbage like you are is just that-garbage.
Work Right, Fly Hard

DC10GUY

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:30 pm

Putting my life on the line is one thing. Seeing my son die is another. Seeing him die for the Iraqi people or what ever reason they come up with for the oil war this week ???. And that has nothing to do with a oath, it has everything to do with reality. I'm just sad the church wackos are the only ones raising a stink about it.... Wow!
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 21):
it has everything to do with reality

Of which I'm thoroughly convinced you cannot grasp . . .

lobster

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:00 pm

And yet another leftie speaks their mind which only goes to show they know nothing about what they talk about!!

It's OK though, Michael Moore still likes you

Delta767300ER

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm surprised Mr. Phelps aint got shot yet. If he ever does, I cant say that I will be sad.

-Delta767300ER

[Edited 2006-06-06 08:34:54]

soyuzavia

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:01 pm

I must be the only one who hopes he doesn't win. Thus far, I haven't seen anything in their supporting documents that would constitute libel, and as to picketing a funeral, he has broken no laws.

As much as I detest Phelps and everything he stands for, if this guy is successful with his lawsuit just throws another spanner in the works for anyone who believes in free speech, which I thought all 300+ million Americans did? Just think, a precedent is set, next time you say something which offends or upsets someone, you can be sued. It will only clog up the courts with frivolous suits.

skidmarks

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:57 pm

Free speech is one thing, this is another. This is an infringement of peoples right to grieve and mourn in peace. Anyone who uses a funeral to promote their views is sick. To use it to decry the dead is sicker. And I'm not in the least bit religious, I think the war was a mistake and I'm not wholly comfortable with some of the other things going on in this world in the name of freedom. But I'm damn sure disrupting someones funeral to promulgate your own views is not "freedom of speech" but harrasment and morally wrong.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

gunsontheroof

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 4):
Fuck the Phelps'.

I think that's one statement that most of us can agree upon regardless of our political persuasions. Disgusting people.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 26):
Bull Fucking shit. I am a Republican and I do not hold any views similiar to WBC.

While I'm generally the antithesis of all things Republican, I'm willing to stand up for the Elephants on this one. Phelps and co. don't speak for the Republican party.

Doona

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 6):
From what I know this group is targeting innocent people.

Actually, everyone who is not a member of the WBC are very gulity indeed.

Check out: http://godhatessweden.com

So, since I am not a member of the WBC, since I am a Swedish citizen, and since I am gay, I'll be going to hell... um, like three times!

Cheers
Mats

[Edited 2006-06-06 11:32:37]
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 31):
I'll be going to hell... um, like three times!

I'll see ya there . . . bring beer.  crazy  silly 

gunsontheroof

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):

I'll see ya there . . . bring beer.

I'll be looking for you guys...is it tough to ask for directions in hell?

Doona

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):

I always figured that beer would be provided in hell! If not, I'm gonna need some time to procure an amount which is appropriate for spending eternity in a place like that. I've got a plan though, all a.netters must go to Belgium, steal every beer bottle that isn't nailed down, then please come and drop it off here in Lund. Don't worry, I have some storage space in the basement.  silly 

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 32):

Just follow the singing and the belching noises.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

777DadandJr

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 27):
just throws another spanner in the works for anyone who believes in free speech, which I thought all 300+ million Americans did?

As Americans, we do hold freedom of speech in the highest reguard. However, the difference between most Americans, and 70 twisted f*cks from Kansas, is that the majority of Americans understand the concept of freedom of speech WITH responsibility!

To call themselves Christians is the biggest afront to the 2nd Commandment I have even heard. They display nothing even close to Christian values.

Phelps and his whole inbreed clan are surely insane.

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 27):
As much as I detest Phelps and everything he stands for, if this guy is successful with his lawsuit just throws another spanner in the works for anyone who believes in free speech, which I thought all 300+ million Americans did?

This may not be tried under First Amendment rights, it may be tried as an Invasion of Privacy, Soyuzavia. A funeral is, in essence, a private event, and not one where protests like this are appropriate, in deferance to the family.

Plus, with freedom comes responsibility, and this group abdicated responsibility a long time ago. So on that point, you're off the mark.
Work Right, Fly Hard

11Bravo

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
Unconscounable - really.

Speaking of beer, WTF does "Unconscounable" mean?  Silly

This legal action is all fine and well I suppose, but sooner or later some distraught family members or friend is gonna go postal on one of these Phelps shitbirds. It's just a matter of time.

I'm not suggesting that's the right thing to do, it's not, but I think it's inevitable. Sooner or later someone will snap, grab the tire-iron from the trunk, and proceed to beat the dog-shit out of one or more of these protesters.

It'll be really hard not to laugh my ass off when it happens.
WhaleJets Rule!

AGM100

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 pm

This is completly unacceptable, no one,, no one,, should ever use a military funeral to protest anything !.

These idiots should know better , I should send my ex wifes Lawyer to help the father. Things would get done if you know what I mean.
 fight 
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

777DadandJr

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:36 pm

One of the basic tenents of Christianity is to "honor the dead."

I see none of that from the bunch of kooks.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 36):
but sooner or later some distraught family members or friend is gonna go postal on one of these Phelps shitbirds. It's just a matter of time.

I am surprised that hasn't happened already.

The really sad thing about all this is that it is going to generate publicity for these dispicable people, and they will pervert that to their advantage.

Honestly, these Phelps freaks make Pat Robertson look like Al Franken!

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

crjflyer35

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 am

If that ever happened at a funeral I participated in, I would have had a hard time controlling myself. I'm all for free speech, but as stated above, with the freedom of speech comes responsibility. The fact that these men and women died protecting you,that alone is reason enough to honor them.

And for everyone who thinks this war is over oil...I ask you this....How much did it cost you to fill up your tank yesterday?
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting DC10GUY (Reply 19):
Seeing him die for the Iraqi people or what ever reason they come up with for the oil war this week ???.

See quote below.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 22):
Delta767300ER

Gotta love the "don't steal my bandwidth comment"

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 28):

Just look for the cap

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 32):
sooner or later some distraught family members or friend is gonna go postal on one of these Phelps shitbirds

While I shouldn't say this, I hope somebody takes one for the team. Not to mention you are guaranteed some hotshot lawyer take this one pro bono and the jury will likely sympatize with the defendant.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 33):
I should send my ex wifes Lawyer to help the father

I'm sure somebody will take it pro bono.

Quoting Crjflyer35 (Reply 35):
And for everyone who thinks this war is over oil...I ask you this....How much did it cost you to fill up your tank yesterday?

Exactly. See this:

Average price Sep. 10 2001 (day before 9/11): $1.56/gal
Average price Mar. 17 2003 (two days before Bush declared war on Iraq): $1.77/gal
Average price Aug. 29 2005 (day Katrina made landfall): $2.65/gal
Average price June 5 2006 (three days ago): $2.94/gal

Yeah...this war is really about oil.

All number taken from Department of Energy - Energy Information Administration
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LY744

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:38 am

It seems that this Phelps guy has dedicated his life to redefining the word SCUM.

Edit: come to think of it, one way or another this creep does not have long to live. Party at his funeral anyone?

LY744.

[Edited 2006-06-09 01:06:20]
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

solnabo

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:09 am

Sidenote;

Roumor has it that Ann Coulter is his bastard daughter. Anyone surprised?

Micke//SWE  yuck 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Doona

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 37):

Edit: come to think of it, one way or another this creep does not have long to live. Party at his funeral anyone?

That does sound like a pretty good idea. Should we arrange a pride festival at out in Kansas for his funeral?  rotfl 

Cheers
Mats

ltbewr

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:46 pm

I love the idea of a civil lawsuit, but I am afraid the courthouse would become a 3-ring circus if it ever went to trial.
The best thing to do is when they show up, to get together local citizens to surround and outnumber these fools, drowning out their 'speech'. I wish they could be criminally charged under hate crime/hate speech statutes and end up in jail. I bet the guys would love being in a jail and have Bubba the Love Machine get friendly with them and make them squeal like a pig.

itsjustme

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 27):

And babes!

LY744

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 39):
Should we arrange a pride festival at out in Kansas for his funeral? rotfl

Well I'm gonna put you in charge of that part.  Wink Maybe Westy will volunteer too.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 42):
Maybe Westy will volunteer too.

::bat eyelashes:: You rang?  silly 

MD-90

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:03 am

I think the Southern Baptist Convention should sue Westboro "Baptist Church" for slander or libel or something. Baptist they ain't.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 40):
I wish they could be criminally charged under hate crime/hate speech statutes and end up in jail.

Don't you believe in the human right of free speech, which is codified (to remind our rulers) in the First Amendment?

Quoting Crjflyer35 (Reply 35):

Just because Bush and Friends are fools doesn't mean that the war wasn't about controlling an oil-rich nation in the Middle East. Of coruse the price has skyrocketed, due to the weakening of the dollar (thanks to unbelievable government overspending) and the uncertainity caused by waging war in the Middle East.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 22):
I'm surprised Mr. Phelps aint got shot yet. If he ever does, I cant say that I will be sad.

Can't say that the jury would convict the shooter, either.

NWOrientDC10

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 34):
The really sad thing about all this is that it is going to generate publicity for these dispicable people, and they will pervert that to their advantage.

I agree. The press should be commended for not giving alot of coverage to this group.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 44):
I think the Southern Baptist Convention should sue Westboro "Baptist Church" for slander or libel or something.

They haven't; that should tell you something...

Good Day to all  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

L-188

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 23):
must be the only one who hopes he doesn't win.

Well I hope he does, but unfortunately you raise valid reasons why he won't. I don't think libel will fly, particularly with the fact they picket everybody. And traditional one of the only limits on the freedom of speech is if you try to use yours to prevent somebody from exercising theirs. I don't think standing accross the street waving offensive signs count.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 31):
it may be tried as an Invasion of Privacy, Soyuzavia. A funeral is, in essence, a private event, and not one where protests like this are appropriate, in deferance to the family.

And you just outlined why he may have a shot at winning...and I hope he does. And generally jury's will give emotional damages if there is a body involved-at least according to that radio lawyer guy.

My prediction, this will end up being a split decision in the lower courts and very well could end up at the USSC.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.