dl021

Maman Back In Hospital; Could Use Prayers/Thoughts

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:16 pm

OK....She's back in the hospital right now for some surgery to her back again, this time however it's more complicated. The spinal fusion she underwent last fall succeeded only partially and now the surgeon and her have decided to attempt to repair the last bit (it's not producing bone the way the other three are) but they have to go through the front to reach the back this time because they can't take a chance on damaging the previous work.

So, it's complicated and will take 6-8 hours and she's 71. It's her third major surgery in 7 months and she's a little nervous (and she survived the Gestapo coming for them more than once). She's the best mother I could imagine anyone having (knowing that's subjective, but I can see it if I try to look objectively as well) and I'm just asking for my friends here to think some positive thoughts and pray for her if you pray.

Thanks, and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer

RE: Maman Back In Hospital; Could Use Prayers/Thoughts

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:20 pm

You know my thoughts are with ya Pal . . .

Anything I can do for you - call if you just want to talk - I'm up alllll night here at lovely Prudhoe Bay . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AerospaceFan

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting DL021 (Thread starter):
She's back in the hospital right now for some surgery to her back again, this time however it's more complicated. The spinal fusion she underwent last fall succeeded only partially and now the surgeon and her have decided to attempt to repair the last bit (it's not producing bone the way the other three are) but they have to go through the front to reach the back this time because they can't take a chance on damaging the previous work.

My thoughts are with you all; I wish her the best and hope for a successful operation and speedy recovery. God bless!
What's fair is fair.

carmenlu15

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:25 pm

I'll be praying for your mom as well... You are blessed to have a mom like her, hope everything turns out fine for her.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

flyingbabydoc

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting DL021 (Thread starter):
but they have to go through the front to reach the back this time because they can't take a chance on damaging the previous work.

Auch... though job. Very though indeed. The anterior approach for any spinal surgery is very difficult (technically) since basically you have to "put aside" all that is on the way (i.e. all the internal organs) to get to the spinal column.

Besides, you have to prepare yourself for a rather complicated post-operative time. Not being pessimistic, I am just telling you how it usually goes.

If you want any more info, or if I can be helpful in anyways, just IM or email me. Anytime.

I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for her.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

Daleaholic

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:36 pm

She's in my thoughts  Smile Sounds like a great woman and a great mother!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ORFflyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 am

Ian, don't worry, she'll be fine. I've "seen" the strength she has from your previous posts. She has a great son with her all the way too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

dl021

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 4):
Besides, you have to prepare yourself for a rather complicated post-operative time.

thanks to everyone so far.....we've prepared ourselves for the recovery period and my sister is coming in for the next 2 months to be with her during her recovery period when she'll need the most help.

Docs called down an hour ago to say it was all routine so far......I guess they mean routine for them...I'm confident....we have a very good orthopod doing the work with assistance from another surgeon for any other possible complications from moving through the body to get to the back.

Thanks again.. ...all the prayers and positive thinking helps.

Sabena332

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:02 am

All the best for your Mother, Ian! Keep us updated!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

CastleIsland

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:05 am

You know she's in my thoughts, Ian.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

aerobalance

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:18 am

Ian, My prayers are with your family.

Tony
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

searpqx

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:43 am

My thoughts and best wishes for her, you and your family Ian.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Aeroflot777

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:52 am

My thoughts are with you pal! Everything will go well, I'm sure of that. My grandma just had a serious operation for Ovarian Cancer, she is doing well and on a road to recovery. It will pass soon. And before you know it, you'll be spending quality time with her once again!

Aeroflot777

Mir

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:36 am

Best wishes from me, as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

TedTAce

RE: Maman Back In Hospital; Could Use Prayers/Thou

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:45 am

I usually don't care for these threads, but this time I'll make an exception.

Good luck Ian  Smile
This space intentionally left blank

dl021

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:28 am

OK....She's been sent to recovery and we spoke with the doc who says everything went very well, and now it's a matter of recovery and letting the bone build up over the next several months. She'll have some physical therapy and need to be disciplined in how she stands and gets up, but the hardest part is over.

Thanks very much for all the IMs and posts. It's good to know we've got friends who care.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 12):
My grandma just had a serious operation for Ovarian Cancer, she is doing well and on a road to recovery

I'm so glad to hear about your grandmother getting better. Please accept my best wishes for good luck and my prayers for her health.

AerospaceFan

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 15):
OK....She's been sent to recovery and we spoke with the doc who says everything went very well, and now it's a matter of recovery and letting the bone build up over the next several months. She'll have some physical therapy and need to be disciplined in how she stands and gets up, but the hardest part is over.

This is good news! Thank you for sharing it; it is a blessing to know. All the best to her, and to you and yours, DL!
What's fair is fair.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 am

Nice to wake up to good news Ian . . .

I'll be vigil through the night, hoping for a speeding a recovery . . .

Call if you need to - you have the number.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Aleksandar

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 am

It's good to hear that surgery went fine.

You know, there is a saying in Serbian that "parents never grow old" and it is very true. We can never imagine our parents as old.

I'm sure you're mom will be fine and both her and you and the rest of your family are in my thoughts.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

N1120A

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:41 pm

You know I am with you and your family through these trying times. I am glad she is doing well and hopefully this fusion will allow her to live a long time with significantly less pain. As the child of a mother with significant back issues who has had 3 major back surgeries herself, I know full well that this can be trying. I also know how tough French women are, so you should rest a bit easier.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:44 pm

Ian, what's this morning's report???

Hopefully a restful night and thus far the surgery has proven successful.

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 15):
Thanks very much for all the IMs and posts. It's good to know we've got friends who care.

As I said, anytime. If she does well in the next 48h then the worst is over - and she will probably make a speedy recovery (let's hope for that).

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

vaporlock

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Ian, glad to hear your Mom has come thru the surgery with no complications and that everything went the way it should have.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and the family and although the recovery will take time she sounds like a fighter!!!

Take care and keep us updated!!

Phyllis

dl021

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:10 am

Maman has been sort of groggy since last night but she's doing fine and recovery looks promising. We'll be more sure of things over the next day or so...as Flyingbabydoc says....and I'll post again.

Again...thanks to all my friends here. I've been busy as hell for the last several months and have not been as busy here as in the past but it does not mean I don't look in or that I'm not involved. This community proves it's value to me over and over again.

KROC

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:32 am

Ian - Good to hear your mom is on the road to recovery. Your family will remain in my thoughts. All the best.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:21 am

Ian - How's your Mom this fine Thursday morning?

m180up

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:45 am

hey don't know you, but hope your mom keeps getting better,  Smile
Werner from SAL

LHMark

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:48 am

Hang in there, buddy. All the best for your mom.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller