carmenlu15

Calling All Spanish Speakers... Part 2

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:47 am

A couple of weeks ago, having nothing better to do, I started a thread asking fellow Spanish speakers their opinions on the different varieties of Spanish out there. Calling All Spanish Speakers... (by Carmenlu15 May 25 2006 in Non Aviation)

This simple thread managed to bring together people from all around the world, thus proving that our common ties go far beyond the language.

Given the popularity of the original thread (now at 210+ replies), and the fact that some people here are unable to switch providers and get a better internet connection  stirthepot , I hereby bring you Part 2.

As I said before, ¡Que siga la fiesta!

- Carmen

P. D. Aún sigo pensando que el mejor español se habla en Guate...  duck 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

B747_A340

RE: Calling All Spanish Speakers... Part 2

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):
Aún sigo pensando que el mejor español se habla en Guate...

Y el mas piosh tambien seño...
God, please save me from your followers!

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:21 am

Que se friege el Aleman! My German teacher decided to flunk me because I was coming to the US. Forgot my German because of that.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 1):
Y el mas piosh tambien se�o...

rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):
�Que siga la fiesta!

So what is the typical party music in Guatemala?

Derico

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 213- Thread I):
Plus, it seems that Mexicans are somewhat arrogant when they compare themselves to other Latin Americans (a lot like Argentinians, except Mexico is a lot closer to Guatemala). So I think it is a sort of penis envy in Freudian terms... and also a reaction to some less than diplomatic comments sometimes made by some Mexicans.

I think with Mexico is more a sheer nationalism more than arrogance. I really don't think Mexicans are arrogant, they are just extremely nationalist, much more than argentines who are just generically aloof about Latin America (and again that is a stereotype not a rule).
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

757MDE

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:59 am

Nooo el Alemán es bien!
Qué siga la fiesta

Thing is... I don't speak a word of German but I like it!
There's a freind from Germany coming soon here.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 3):
I think with Mexico is more a sheer nationalism more than arrogance. I really don't think Mexicans are arrogant, they are just extremely nationalist, much more than argentines who are just generically aloof about Latin America (and again that is a stereotype not a rule).

Either way, Guatemalans aren't too fond of Mexico... or their different accents... unless we are talking about Cancun... Then everyone loves Mexico, it seems to be the new "in" destination for the summer.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):

It really depends. Last summer it seemed to be reggaeton (which I don't really like) and American stuff like the Black Eyed Peas. But then again... I only went partying in Kahlua and Paparazzi... which are not particularly representative of the majority of the Guatemalan population.

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 am

I think with Mexico is more a sheer nationalism more than arrogance

YEP! My Mexican wife and her family, living in the US for more than 20 years, are still very, very nationalistic, to the point that we have almost gotten into  box  over which country is better, Mexico or Ecuador.

(Looking over my shoulder) Ecuador is better of course.

LTU932

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:28 am

I just found this in my inbox. Read it from top to bottom first, and then from bottom to top. You'll then notice that the content of it resembles a lot what we have to put up with as far as politics goes:

>En nuestro partido político
>cumplimos con lo que prometemos.
>Sólo los imbéciles pueden creer que
>no lucharemos contra la corrupción.
>Porque si hay algo seguro para nosotros es que
>la honestidad y la transparencia son fundamentales
>para alcanzar nuestros ideales.
>Demostraremos que es una gran estupidez creer que
>las mafias seguirán formando parte del gobierno como en otros tiempos.
>Aseguramos sin resquicio de duda que
>la justicia social será el fin principal de nuestro mandato.
>Pese a eso, todavía hay gente estúpida que piensa que
>se pueda seguir gobernando con las artimañas de la vieja política
>Cuando asumamos el poder, haremos lo imposible para que
>se acaben las situaciones privilegiadas y el tráfico de influencias
>No permitiremos de ningún modo que
>nuestros niños mueran de hambre
>Cumpliremos nuestros propósitos aunque
>los recursos económicos se hayan agotado
>ejerceremos el poder hasta que
>Comprendan desde ahora que
>Somos el Partido...., la "nueva política".
>
>
>Ahora leélo de abajo para arriba, a partir de la útlima frase.

757MDE

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 5):
It really depends. Last summer it seemed to be reggaeton (which I don't really like) and American stuff like the Black Eyed Peas. But then again... I only went partying in Kahlua and Paparazzi... which are not particularly representative of the majority of the Guatemalan population.

Reggaeton is the new plague...
I hadn't heard anything so outrageous in a long time, I hope it fades away soon because it's invaded not only Guatemala... but most of Latin America as well.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 8):
I hadn't heard anything so outrageous in a long time, I hope it fades away soon because it's invaded not only Guatemala... but most of Latin America as well.

And Spain. I hate how every song is the same... and the lyrics are idiotic to say the least.

LTU932

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 am

checkmark 

I hate it when the local radio stations put up songs that are Reggaeton and people here at work brag about how good it is. It's disgusting.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 9):
I hate how every song is the same... and the lyrics are idiotic to say the least.

checkmark 

It's even worse than idiotic if you have ever listened to that crap called "La Gasolina". Thankfully, whenever I listen to radio, I listen either to 103.5, which plays the best hits of the 80's and 90's, or 107.5 Real Rock, which is partly transmitted from Miami.

AR385

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am

I think with Mexico is more a sheer nationalism more than arrogance. I really don't think Mexicans are arrogant, they are just extremely nationalist,

As you said for your country, this stereotype that protrays us Mexicans as extemly nationalistic is just that, an stereotype. I do recognize that many Mexicans think that Mexico is the Canada of LatAm. And I also recognize that many Mexicans travel abroad with that attitude. However, many educated Mexicans do not have that attitude and are the first to recognize that we are no Germany. But if you ask me, I'd have to agree. It's more nationalism than arrogance.

Either way, Guatemalans aren't too fond of Mexico... or their different accents... unless we are talking about Cancun... Then everyone loves Mexico, it seems to be the new "in" destination for the summer.

I hate Cancun. And for years, we have and still support Guatemala as well as Central America. Think "El Pacto de San Jose" or the 350,000 Guatemalan refugees that stayed in Mexico throughout the 1980's. Mexico was also instrumental in the talks that finally ended your genocidal civil war. I'm not saying any Central American citizen should bow before any Mexican, but, comme on, cut us some slack.

I hate, hate regaeeton. I thought I could not hate anything more than Rap, but then Regaeeton came around. Ugh, gives me shivers.

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 11):
I hate, hate regaeeton. I thought I could not hate anything more than Rap, but then Regaeeton came around. Ugh, gives me shivers.

Yo regrese a las raices de mi pueblo, con la cumbia.

So any of you guys like it?

Derico

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Cumbia Villera! Lyrics about drugs, whores, thieves, gangs, and lost love.

LOL, just joking. Argentina's Villera is very different from the Cumbia you think of. Villera is more like Rap in that it is the music of the guetto, the immigrants, and the urban poor.

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 13):
Villera is more like Rap in that it is the music of the guetto, the immigrants, and the urban poor.

For me back then it was the music for the poor, so normally we wouldnt listen to it. But someone had 'Caballo Viejo' playing on a store in Cozumel and the memories rushed back into my head.

See, I grew up kinda funny. I was born a raised in Guayaquil, but we had (and still have) a beach house in a small fishing village (2000 population when I was growing up) and cumbias where some of the only entertainment my 'pueblo' had back then.

Derico

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:08 pm

I listen to some Villera groups, many just totally dismiss the music because of it's grittyness. Some of the lyrics are just a riot.

So I can listen to Villera as well as rock nacional argentino, I never deny myself the opportunities to listen do different genres.

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:16 pm

My understanding was that Villeras are a little different. I'm more into the Colombian cumbia style. For playing piano, I prefer classical and some jazz. And for other stuff, a little classic rock or some 'nu' rock.

But for the moment, I'll stick with my cumbias. The hot summer here just lends itself to that type of music.

AR385

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:55 pm

what I like is "corridos" The corrido del caballo blanco, el corrido de mi prieto alazan, the corrido of Monterrey. This are a mixture of cumbia with mariachi music and are works of art. The lyrics make you hair stand in the back of your head.

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 17):
This are a mixture of cumbia with mariachi music and are works of art

Agree, I was listening to some cumbias done with mariachi groups and the mixtures were very interesting. Those songs are very complex, some of them consisting of three different percussion instruments, for example.

757MDE

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:31 pm

It's even worse than idiotic if you have ever listened to that crap called "La Gasolina". Thankfully, whenever I listen to radio, I listen either to 103.5, which plays the best hits of the 80's and 90's, or 107.5 Real Rock, which is partly transmitted from Miami.

That thing stinks... and they play that even in MTV (well, MTV is coming the bad way from long ago so I'm not really surprised).
Those people making daddy yankee their idol and then being like "duuuude this is so latin, my roots my people" and they don't even know what the name of their "papito gringo" means. Using any public transportation that has a radio is a reggaeton ridden torture here.

And Spain. I hate how every song is the same... and the lyrics are idiotic to say the least.

It reached there?
Damn!...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cumbia villera from Argentina is quite different than the cumbia of northern south america. The villera is as described for what I know, the other cumbia has cultural values and the lyrics are not so bad, the music has some work and value on it. I'm not a fan of our cumbia either... but it's different than the villera and I think i'd prefer ours over villera, even though as I said I'm not a fan of it (or anything tropical for that matter... only can bear counted salsa songs, but no more).

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 19):
I'm not a fan of our cumbia either

Tell you what, neither did I for a very long time. It has been less than a month since all those Colombian cumbias got in my blood and havent left. I'm 34, so you have a couple of years, perhaps, until you like them.

So, what typical cumbia songs from Colombia am I missing?

LatinPlane

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 17):
what I like is "corridos" The corrido del caballo blanco, el corrido de mi prieto alazan, the corrido of Monterrey. This are a mixture of cumbia with mariachi music and are works of art. The lyrics make you hair stand in the back of your head.

I can't stand that music! Are you talking about banda Sinaloense? Sorry, but when I hear that I cringe with embarrasement and walk fast from that place pretending that I never heard it. It's so chunti!

On the other hand I think that some Norteñas sound more pleasing to the ear.

Cumbia, I like! Of course, what Latino party is a good party, if you don't have cumbia Colombiana.   

I love Reggaeton!!! Don Omar, Daddy Yankee! Ivi Queen - la diva, la caballota, la potra, la perra!

My visit to Argentina made me understand and fall in love with Tango.

Of course, my mariachi, is my mariachi. What Mexican doesn't feel that proud moment when you hear it sung by great people like: Rocio Durcal, Vicente, or Luis Miguel.

Sabes, AR385, cuando estaba en Buenos Aires y me preguntaban que de donde venia usualmente lo mas facil era decir que de Mexico. Y la gente se portaba tan bien. Lo primero que decian era "Mexico Lindo y Querido" Y se agarraban hablando sin parrar. Era sorprendete que les llamaba mucho la atencion la cultura Mexicana y me hacian preguntas sin parrar. Hay veces que ya no sabia que contestar y les tenia que decir la verdad que no era mas que un pocho pero igual se portaban muy bien.

Carmen

Carmen, I've always found Guatemalans to be very nice people. I sometimes think that perhaps Guatemalans might find Mexicans annoying (because it is true that we can be a little arrogant with our nationalism), but I've always found all Guetamalans I've met very easy going people. On the other hand, there was always a great rivalry between Salvadoreans and Mexicans. The Salvadoreans have a complex of being small and the Mexicans are just a little indifferent due to their size, and sometimes the two just do not click. But I have never noticed that to be the case between the Guatemalans and the Mexicans.

LatinPlane

[Edited 2006-06-07 07:09:41]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 1):
Y el mas piosh tambien seño...

rotfl 

Una pregunta, ¿cada cuánto te echas el viaje hasta Guate?

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 4):
Nooo el Alemán es bien!

Es bonito aprenderlo, pero un tanto complicado. Aparte que de lo poco que aprendí, ya ni me acuerdo...

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):

Depends on the place as well. In the "fiestas de pueblo" you will usually hear marimba. Since all my family on Dad's side comes from the countryside (Alta Verapaz), that is pretty much the norm for celebrations at home. You should have seen my grandparents dancing... Grandma still tries to teach us how to dance whenever she has the chance. Not that we are nearly as good as Grandpa was...

Now, if you ask me... I can't recall the last time I went partying, must have been at least a year ago.  crazy 

It's gone all the way to Spain? Poor you...  vomit 

Using any public transportation that has a radio is a reggaeton ridden torture here.

Tell me about it... And I have to deal with that daily. Ugh!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
I just found this in my inbox. Read it from top to bottom first, and then from bottom to top. You'll then notice that the content of it resembles a lot what we have to put up with as far as politics goes:

I don't know whether to  rotfl  or to  cry ...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 22):
Una pregunta, ¿cada cuánto te echas el viaje hasta Guate?

I was born and raised in Guatemala City... lived there for like 14 years and lately I have been moving around a lot, but I generally go back once a year. Just to see my old friends.

It's gone all the way to Spain? Poor you...

Yeah... los canarios seem to be quite fond of it... and a lot of the stuff that plays here is actually by bands that come from the Canary Islands (apart from the standard daddy yankee obviously)

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:44 pm

Es bonito aprenderlo, pero un tanto complicado. Aparte que de lo poco que aprendí, ya ni me acuerdo...

No es tan complicado, cuando empiezas a praticarlo todos los dias. En verdad escribir en Espanol, con todas las reglas y los verbos irregulares me parece aun mas complicado que aleman...

Y el mejor espanol pienso yo se habla en... Uruguay! Alli aprendi a hablar "portunol"...

Saludos a todos.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 24):
No es tan complicado, cuando empiezas a praticarlo todos los dias. En verdad escribir en Espanol, con todas las reglas y los verbos irregulares me parece aun mas complicado que aleman...

I beg to differ... we don't split verbs. Or have a rigid structure to form sentences. And even while there are a million different accents... all of them are easily understood when spoken slowly. I wish I could say the same about all the different accents of German. (and I am not even including Schwiizerdeutsch here... lol)

andessmf

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Depends on the place as well. In the "fiestas de pueblo" you will usually hear marimba

In the north of Ecuador, provincia de Esmeraldas, where most of my mothers family is, the instrument to play is the marimba! Didnt know it reached to Guatemala!

No es tan complicado, cuando empiezas a praticarlo todos los dias

Todo los idiomas se aprenden mejor cuando se practican diario. But German always sound rough to me.

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 26):
In the north of Ecuador, provincia de Esmeraldas, where most of my mothers family is, the instrument to play is the marimba! Didnt know it reached to Guatemala!

It is the national instrument of Guatemala. It is pretty amazing and versatile.

But German always sound rough to me.

and I LOVE German for that reason. It has soo much character.

SFOMEX

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi Carmen! This thread was a great idea...

We should get our act straight. Are we using only Spanish? Both, English and Spanish? Only English? It'd be quite interesting a "solo en español" thread, but I wonder if the mods would look kindly in that fragrant violation of the rules.

En cualquier caso, y si de fiesta se trata, yo me bailo la siguiente con Carmen...  Wink
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 21):

Carmen, I've always found Guatemalans to be very nice people. I sometimes think that perhaps Guatemalans might find Mexicans annoying (because it is true that we can be a little arrogant with our nationalism), but I've always found all Guetamalans I've met very easy going people.

We're always easy going... as long as you don't bring football into the equation. Big grin

On the other hand, there was always a great rivalry between Salvadoreans and Mexicans.

That I didn't know... It's different in our case, Salvadoreans and Guatemalans get along perfectly.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 23):

I was born and raised in Guatemala City... lived there for like 14 years and lately I have been moving around a lot, but I generally go back once a year. Just to see my old friends.

Nice... As I mentioned in the other thread, there have been plans for an a.net GUA meet... pero como siempre, no nos ponemos de acuerdo.

No es tan complicado, cuando empiezas a praticarlo todos los dias.

Allí está el detalle, me falta mucha práctica.

Ha, I didn't know it reached to Ecuador!

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 25):
I beg to differ... we don't split verbs.

No, but trying to memorize all the irregular forms and all the tenses (imperativo, subjuntivo, etc...) is also quite a challenge in spanish. Not to mention when to write a word with "B" or with "V"  Smile

Todo los idiomas se aprenden mejor cuando se practican diario. But German always sound rough to me.

Actually, I think you have to make more facial gestures than in french... all those "ö", "ä" und "ü" in the sentence...

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 29):
Allí está el detalle, me falta mucha práctica.

Bueno, se quieres puedes practicar con tus amigos aqui de A.net. La practica hace el mestre, como se dice en portugues.

Alex

757MDE

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:49 pm

Yo no he aprendido nada!
Pero con escuchar Ramms+ein o ver el noticiero de la DW tengo para alegrarme! jejeje.

Tell me about it... And I have to deal with that daily. Ugh!

Make that two!

That's why I LOVE moving in the metro... is fast and the only radio it has is the one used for annoucements ("siguiente estación: Universidad"). But sometimes I'm going to places far away from the metro... and then the torture begins (and not only for the reggaeton, but mostly for it).

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 23):
Yeah... los canarios seem to be quite fond of it...

Hmmm that's not good.
But Raquel del Rosario is hot anyways jajaja.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 27):
and I LOVE German for that reason. It has soo much character.

Ditto!

JJJ

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:32 pm

It reached there?
Damn!...

Not only here, first place I heard 'La gasolina' was in Greece!!!

AR385

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:01 pm

can't stand that music! Are you talking about banda Sinaloense? Sorry, but when I hear that I cringe with embarrasement and walk fast from that place pretending that I never heard it. It's so chunti!

I'm not sure banda sinaloense sings corridos. I do know about the best band, it's called "Los Dorados de Villa" They are beyond fantastic. What is chunti?

Sabes, AR385, cuando estaba en Buenos Aires y me preguntaban que de donde venia usualmente lo mas facil era decir que de Mexico. Y la gente se portaba tan bien. Lo primero que decian era "Mexico Lindo y Querido" Y se agarraban hablando sin parrar. Era sorprendete que les llamaba mucho la atencion la cultura Mexicana y me hacian preguntas sin parrar.

Yes, that is true. Even in Mendoza, which is where my family is, I'm the "star" when my cousins or friends introduce me as Mexican. In my experience they love our accent. And they also have a great appreciation for our culture. I've never had trouble grabbing chicks (flame me for being a mysoginist) just by talking with my accent. And of course, they remember the thousands which were given political asylum during "El Proceso" years.

On the other hand, there was always a great rivalry between Salvadoreans and Mexicans.

I had no idea about this. Could you elaborate?

Aah! the doctor who saved my life! We meet again. And I'm stil thankful!Maybe German is not that difficult as you say. Spanish has a lot of rules. That's why I say you need to read a lot, to get those rules intuitively into your head.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 25):
beg to differ... we don't split verbs. Or have a rigid structure to form sentences. And even while there are a million different accents... all of them are easily understood when spoken slowly. I wish I could say the same about all the different accents of German. (and I am not even including Schwiizerdeutsch here... lol)

I have a question. Does a person from Germany understands a person of Switzerland? or of Austria? and the other way around?

The Marimba is one of the indispensable instrumentes in Folk Mexican music from Veracruz and the South in general. So, Im guessing it has a common, prehispanic origin.

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 30):
No, but trying to memorize all the irregular forms and all the tenses (imperativo, subjuntivo, etc...) is also quite a challenge in spanish. Not to mention when to write a word with "B" or with "V"

That's because you are learning Castillian. Spanish is easier. We do not use so many tenses. For example, we only use the Simple Past tense, while in Spain you'll find that tense and Composite Past. You should find a Latam teacher or school to learn Spanish.

Carmen, you ask how you can get you ten year old sister to read. Well, find out what she likes. And then, giver information in written form on the subjects. The, progressively, you can explain to her that if she wants more info. She can try doing a bit of research in the library at school. Of course, you will already know the books she is going to find and be interested in. So that's a good way to start. Myself I always say that:

1. The best thing that happened in my life was being born.
2. The second best was learning to read.

LTU932

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:03 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 33):
Maybe German is not that difficult as you say. Spanish has a lot of rules. That's why I say you need to read a lot, to get those rules intuitively into your head.

This reminds me of a curious story from a former classmate. He told me that he was born in Spain, though he and his parents are German, his father being in the diplomatic corps, and he spent quite a few years in Costa Rica and went to the German school. Before he actually returned to Costa Rica from his time in Germany, he was in 8th grade and though that with his Spanish knowledge, he could easily pass Latin class, as Spanish is a language of mostly Latin descent. He thought wrong! He flunked Latin with a 6 (which is the worst grade you can get in the German school system before you're in the Abitur years, where they use a different grade scale) and because of that, had to repeat 8th grade all over again. He passed that year, yet had to come to Costa Rica after the school year ended, sometime between July and August, and had to attend 8th grade AGAIN, only this time as an Oyente (or an observer) because he already completed 8th grade in Germany and had to wait until february, before he would have to start getting serious with school again in 9th grade.

The Costa Rican school year runs from February to December with little to no vacations along the way, but since we both were at the German school, we didn't have to do the 200 class days, which are being boasted probably all over the region as the solution to the education problem (which they're not), because we also got days off because of German holidays plus an extended 4 weeks of midterm vacations, not the regular 2 weeks.

The moral of the story is: don't get too confident about passing a language subject in school if you already had previous experience with a similar language, because most of the time, it won't work.

AR385

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:12 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
This reminds me of a curious story from a former classmate. He told me that he was born in Spain, though he and his parents are German, his father being in the diplomatic corps, and he spent quite a few years in Costa Rica and went to the German school. Before he actually returned to Costa Rica from his time in Germany, he was in 8th grade and though that with his Spanish knowledge, he could easily pass Latin class

It doesn't matter whichever Romantic language you use or are familiar with. Learning Latin (which I don't see the necessity of doing that) is extremely difficult. Plus, Spanish has a lot of Arabic influence in the language, so it is not so intuitive. Even German has a strong Latin influence, although it is not considered a Romantic language, but an anglo-saxon one. In my school Latin was thrown out of the curriculum in the early 80's. I never took a class of Latin in my life and so far, I have not needed it.

LTU932

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 35):
It doesn't matter whichever Romantic language you use or are familiar with. Learning Latin (which I don't see the necessity of doing that) is extremely difficult.

I know, this guy's story had tought me that lesson in advance. However in Germany, Latin is part of the midlevel curriculum but you can actually choose to take either Latin or French in Germany.

Plus, Spanish has a lot of Arabic influence in the language

Indeed. But come to think of it, doesn't the Dutch language (or the Flamant in Belgium, which is pretty much Dutch as well) also have some Spanish influence from the time from the time when part of the Benelux-Region, especially The Netherlands, was part of the Spanish empire?

MD11junkie

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:41 pm

Y el mejor espanol pienso yo se habla en... Uruguay! Alli aprendi a hablar "portunol"...

El "uruguayo" es exactamente el mismo castellano que en la Argentina, sólo que un poco más despacio. And you learned portuñol there? You should hear some porteños trying to speak portuguese! So damn hilarious!  laughing 

That's because you are learning Castillian. Spanish is easier. We do not use so many tenses. For example, we only use the Simple Past tense, while in Spain you'll find that tense and Composite Past. You should find a Latam teacher or school to learn Spanish.

checkmark 

Even though it's easier, I still prefer Castillian over Spanish any day. It's much more. . . subtile (sutil) than spanish. I just don't know why.

"Mexico Lindo y Querido"

Argentines really watch too much TV. . .

I love Reggaeton!!! Don Omar, Daddy Yankee! Ivi Queen - la diva, la caballota, la potra, la perra!

Cumbia, I like! Of course, what Latino party is a good party, if you don't have cumbia Colombiana

vomit  Geez, Apollo, get a grip. It's obviously you've heard once or twice. It's A-W-F-U-L!

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 28):
We should get our act straight. Are we using only Spanish? Both, English and Spanish? Only English? It'd be quite interesting a "solo en español" thread, but I wonder if the mods would look kindly in that fragrant violation of the rules.

Spanglish. 

Well, there was that "non-English" thread a while back... but I wanted to keep it on the safe side, so I started the thread in English. However, it's nearly impossible to talk about Spanish without actually using Spanish... así que en resumen, usamos los dos idiomas.

Carmen, you ask how you can get you ten year old sister to read. Well, find out what she likes. And then, giver information in written form on the subjects. The, progressively, you can explain to her that if she wants more info. She can try doing a bit of research in the library at school. Of course, you will already know the books she is going to find and be interested in. So that's a good way to start.

Thanks for the tip.

Myself I always say that:

1. The best thing that happened in my life was being born.
2. The second best was learning to read.

And the third best was getting on an airplane...  

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
The Costa Rican school year runs from February to December with little to no vacations along the way

I found that quite odd when my great-aunt told me about it... Last time she went to Costa Rica to visit her daughter, she took along one of her grandkids. The girl enjoyed the visit so much that she wanted to stay there with her aunt; therefore, she was enrolled in school. Since the school year here runs from January to October, enrolling her was not much of an issue. But the poor girl will have absolutely no vacations when she returns...

[Edited 2006-06-07 15:58:27]

B747_A340

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:15 pm

I have a question. Does a person from Germany understands a person of Switzerland? or of Austria? and the other way around?

If they all speak Hochdeutsch (a standard version of the language) then yes, otherwise it would be pretty complicated. I have friends from different parts of Germany that speak in English to each other because it is a lot easier and faster to understand each other that way

In Latin America we speak Castillian too. The names for our language are both Spanish and Castillian. Why? Because we speak the Castillian dialect of Spanish, which is by far the most dominant one in Spain. And in reality European Spanish and Latin American Spanish aren't that different. We use the Compound Past forms also, just in different situations. The only "foreign" form of the language to Latin Americans is the use of vosotros , but Latin American Spanish also has its peculiarities, like the use of vos

Even German has a strong Latin influence, although it is not considered a Romantic language, but an anglo-saxon one.

German is a Germanic Language. And Latin influence is not a basis for classification of languages, but rather the sintax and morphology it uses. Most words used in English now are of Latin origin through French, plus a lot of words were latinised artificially to make the language more "cultured".

[Edited 2006-06-07 16:38:27]

mt99

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:36 pm

there was always a great rivalry between Salvadoreans and Mexicans. The Salvadoreans have a complex of being small and the Mexicans are just a little indifferent due to their size, and sometimes the two just do not click.

Hahah - i think it has to do with the fact of the soccer history between both countries. Mexicans have invested lots and lots of money in El Salvador as of late, specially Mr. Slim. Mexican influence in the country is indeed expanding - and as far as i know - Salvadoreans are quite happy embracing it.

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 29):
That I didn't know... It's different in our case, Salvadoreans and Guatemalans get along perfectly

Yea we do. Did you know that more than 50% of the Inter-Central Americal trade happens between El Salvador and Guatemala? Salvadoreans head to Guatemala in hordes for vacations and Guatemalans return the favor. The excellent political and "personal" relationships between both countries is how someday all of Central America should be. I guess the fact that economically both countries stand in similar situations helps too.

Unlike Salvadoreans and Hondurans.. Yikes!
Step into my office, baby

AR385

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 39):
In Latin America we speak Castillian too.

I'm sorry, but I differ from you. Smile

Please read my explanation on this subject on the first thread. We do not speak Castillian. I'll give you a quick summary. The conquest and the people who came to America were from the region of Extremadura and Seville. The ships also stopped on the Canary islands. In those years, Castilian had not consolidated itself as a language. What arrived in America, was a mixture of Extremaduran, Andalucian and Canary islands dialects. Consider that many, if not most of the people who came here, spent years in Seville waiting, at least 15 on average, saving money to get a place on a ship coming to the New World. That mixture of dialects is the starting branch of what we speak today in LatAm mixed with each countries' native civilizations language. Think Paraguay. Castilian then evolved by itself in The Castilian and La Mancha regions.

I learned this because I had a bunch of friends in Madrid, Philologists, who worked at the Royal Spanish academy.

andessmf

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:07 am

The Marimba is one of the indispensable instrumentes in Folk Mexican music from Veracruz and the South in general. So, Im guessing it has a common, prehispanic origin.

In Ecuador, the marimba came about from African slaves, so I presume it is the same in other places, especially the Caribbean.

JJJ

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 41):
Please read my explanation on this subject on the first thread. We do not speak Castillian.

That's depending on how you define it  Smile

At this side of the pond the terms 'Spanish' and 'Castillian' are almost always interchangeable.

The only difference is that Castillian is mostly used to differentiate between Spanish and the other languages spoken in Spain (Catalan, Basque and Galician), so the only difference is in use, not in meaning.

I understand 'Castillian' may be used across the pond to mean 'Peninsular Spanish' but in no way I would say it's any easier to learn than Mexican Spanish or Porteño!!

B747_A340

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:16 am

AR385

Having studied Linguistics, I can tell you this is a matter of controversy. Most conservative linguists consider Castillian as exclusively the dialect spoken in Castille during the Middle Ages, which is what your friends were probably talking about. While the RAE prefers to refer to our language as Español, it is still technically Castellano .

According to Francisco Marcos Marín: "desde el punto de vista del observador del idioma, no cabe duda de que, en la mayor parte de su dominio lingüístico, castellano y español se usan alternativamente, como sinónimos perfectos, sin otras implicaciones."

It is all a matter of interpretation, but the fact is that Standard Spanish is closest to the Castillian dialect... and the language that the world recognizes as Spanish is in fact, Castillian.

AR385

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 44):
Having studied Linguistics, I can tell you this is a matter of controversy.

Yes it is a matter of controversy. I agree.

Quoting B747_A340 (Reply 44):
It is all a matter of interpretation, but the fact is that Standard Spanish is closest to the Castillian dialect... and the language that the world recognizes as Spanish is in fact, Castillian.

That's the problem that I have. Maybe Castellano and Español are interchangeable as synonims, but not as being the same language. There are subtle and minute differences that make them different.

In any case, you are the linguistics expert, so I'll accept your explanations and corrections.

B747_A340

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 45):
In any case, you are the linguistics expert, so I'll accept your explanations and corrections.

Don't take what I say as fact... I am giving you my opinion based on my training, but as many things in life... No one has the right answer. But in my opinion, yes they are the same language.

LatinPlane

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 37):
Geez, Apollo, get a grip. It's obviously you've heard once or twice. It's A-W-F-U-L!

laughing 

It is obvious that MD11Junkie thinks that it is red, while LatinPlane believes it is actually blue.

I thought my friend how to drink mate! He said it had always seemed really interesting, but he never had the opportunity to try it. So I brought my matera and straw and we drank it. He really liked it, so I took him to the store and told him what he needed to buy. When he asked about the brands and pointed to the yellow "Canarias" bag, when all of a sudden I felt Gaston's persona take complete control of my body and so I unwillingly yelled out: NEVER buy that brand! Big grin

Gaston's great persona had traveled thought time and space and had taken possession of my mind and body. While, Gaston's personality was still in control of my body, I felt this repulsive gut feeling about LAN, that I had never in my entire life felt before!  Big grin he he he!

What is chunti?

Naco!

I had no idea about this. Could you elaborate?

Here in L.A., back when I was a little kid, the Salvadorean and Mexican immigrants sometimes wouldn't get along. Each one made fun of each other's spanish and accused each other of being inferior. It was all very stupid! I always had a great deal of Salvadorean friends. Its pretty much a thing of the past now. I think it had to do with the fact that you had two groups from the bottom of the social class that were competing for space and resources in a foreign land.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

carmenlu15

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:30 am

People, thanks for the linguistics lesson. I surely learned a lot from your input.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 40):
The excellent political and "personal" relationships between both countries is how someday all of Central America should be.

I read not too long ago someone from the European Union (can't remember who at the moment) voicing his opinion on the situation here. He said that, while politics were creating too much divisionism in South America, Central America as a whole was becoming more integrated and politically stable. So I guess we're taking steps in the right direction.  Smile

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 40):
Unlike Salvadoreans and Hondurans.. Yikes!

That would be a flame war on the making!  flamed 

Say, how about Costa Ricans and the rest of Central America?  duck 

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 42):
In Ecuador, the marimba came about from African slaves, so I presume it is the same in other places, especially the Caribbean.

You're right. Here, it is a known fact that the marimba is from African origin; however, it's been part of our culture for so long, there is even a gov't decree declaring it our National Instrument.

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 37):
El "uruguayo" es exactamente el mismo castellano que en la Argentina, sólo que un poco más despacio. And you learned portuñol there? You should hear some porteños trying to speak portuguese! So damn hilarious

Si, seguro que son muy similares. En verdad aprendi "portunol" con argentinos, nuestros amigos de Moreno (Pva. Bs.As.). I have heard portenos speak portuguese before, it is rather amusing. Actually, I am a sort of "traitor" in Brazil - I love Argentina, have travelled the country from Missiones to Ushuaia (and Malvinas too) and I really think Argentinians are great people (well, most of them - algunos boludos que van a Brasil de vacaciones son la leche...)

Aah! the doctor who saved my life! We meet again.

Don't exaggerate! I am glad to see that you are doing well. Muchos saludos hacia Mexico.

Alex