Pyrex
Topic Author

How To Make My Boss Think I've Been Working Late?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:47 am

Hi folks,

It is currently 1:40 AM and I am still at the office. Do you think there is any way to make my boss think I have been working extremely late so I can go home and get a rest? I have been thinking of two things:
a) Programming Lotus Notes so it can automatically send him an e-mail at, say, 4:30 AM. Does anyone know a way to do this?
b) Show up early tomorrow with the same clothes and unshaven, so he thinks I pulled an all-nighter.

I have thought of another (calling his house with some random question) but maybe it is too extreme. Anyone else have other ideas, or comments on the effectiveness of these ones?

Thanks.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

SP90

RE: How To Make My Boss Think I've Been Working Late?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:53 am

c) you could actually stay and work late and then work from home the next day.

mrmeangenes

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:55 am

It might help to recall he has the same access to the internet as you, and that he may be reading your words as you type them !

(Check out thread from Brit who got canned after posting derogatory remarks about his boss' customer !)
gene

BMIFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting Pyrex (Thread starter):
It is currently 1:40 AM and I am still at the office.

If that's not late, then what is?

Or, maybe you work nights??

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AMSMAN

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:04 am

How come you're working late anyway? Ever heard of work/life balance? If you're so over-loaded with work that you need to stay 'till after midnight (presumably from early the previous morning), my advice is to sit down with your manager and explain your case...that you have a life outside of work too. He should understand and take action accordingly. After all...he'd have that talk with his boss!

Another quick question: How come you want him to know you've been working late? Extra Brown-y points?

And now the answer to your original question. Just send him an update on some project or task by email that he asked you to complete. Also, send mail to others too...make sure they see you've working late too.

AMS
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Bobster2

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am

Leave your car parked in front of the building. Your boss will think you're the first person to arrive in the morning and the last person to leave.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

corey07850

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 5):
Leave your car parked in front of the building. Your boss will think you're the first person to arrive in the morning and the last person to leave.

The George Costanza method?

desertjets

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 6):
Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 5):

The George Costanza method?

Though if you do that be sure to remove any flyers from your windshield and periodically wash your car so the bird poop doesn't pile up.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia