TSV
Topic Author

Rugby Union : Australia V England

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Like Murray Walker unless I'm very much mistaken I surprisingly couldn't find a thread on this already.

Banco must be asleep or something not to have posted something on this before the event.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=80651
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

bill142

RE: Rugby Union : Australia V England

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:08 pm

England are crap without Johnnie Wilkinson. He's the only reason they won the world cup because he kept plotting drop goals all the time.

Gman94

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:15 pm

You keep smoking that crack Bill, we won the World Cup because we were the best team in the world at the time and we were far from a one man team. Australia would of taken the same option of they got close to the sticks, your not moody John Howard our you?

As for today they were flashes of better to come from England but poor decision making and execution let England down badly today. Hopefully Ashton will sort the attack out when he has had more time with the team.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

TSV
Topic Author

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey Bill I suppose you are staying up for the British GP? Did you see the result already?

Yeah they were just about unbeatable with Johnnie Johnnie but still they look like a team that can be moulded into a unit that can defend it's World Cup.

The Wallabies are an interesting mix of the old, new, and recycled however I get the feeling that there is a hell of a lot of rebuilding before trotting off to France next year. At least the scrum wasn't the massacre as at Twickenham last year.

QANTASforever

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:24 pm

An excellent result.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 2):
your not moody John Howard our you?

Here's me thinking you'd appreciate a Prime Minister without some perennial cheesy grin on his face.

Going by the way your lot reacted after the win, what Howard did hardly warrants mention.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

kiwiinoz

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:32 pm

You keep smoking that crack Bill, we won the World Cup because we were the best team in the world at the time and we were far from a one man team. Australia would of taken the same option of they got close to the sticks, your not moody John Howard our you?

Agree 100%. Result would have been the same without Johnny. Was an excellent game plan by an excellent team. Even though Clive Woodward is a complete tosser, he did a great job with those guys.

As for their performances since the world cup, they certainly don't look like champions.

Gman94

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 4):
Going by the way your lot reacted after the win, what Howard did hardly warrants mention.

What did we do you wrong? We had just won the World Cup aren't we allowed to celebrate a bit?

VHVXB

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting TSV (Reply 3):
Yeah they were just about unbeatable with Johnnie Johnnie but still they look like a team that can be moulded into a unit that can defend it's World Cup.

i seriously doubt it.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 6):
We had just won the World Cup aren't we allowed to celebrate a bit?

yeah why not it might the last cup win for long time

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 6):
We had just won the World Cup aren't we allowed to celebrate a bit?

Yes, you are allowed to celebrate it.

I don't want to discuss it, this will turn into an argument.

QFF

bill142

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting TSV (Reply 3):
Hey Bill I suppose you are staying up for the British GP? Did you see the result already?

Unfortunately not. I was in SIN at the time and completely missed it.

You keep smoking that crack Bill, we won the World Cup because we were the best team in the world at the time and we were far from a one man team

Yes at the time. And you've been crap ever since. Come to think of it, Wilkinson hasn't played much since 2003 has he?

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 9):
And you've been crap ever since

Pretty much. There was always going to be a transition period with all of those players retiring, but there really should have been an upturn in the last year or eighteen months. They're underperforming without doubt - although England don't have the quality of player they had in 2000-2003, they should still be one of the best teams in the world with the players they have available - and they aren't.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 9):
Come to think of it, Wilkinson hasn't played much since 2003 has he?

No, not much at all. He keeps picking up niggling injuries, so he plays for a few games, then is out for a month, comes back, picks up another one, is out for another month and so on and so forth.

I have to say though, that anyone that thinks England were a one man team in 2003 doesn't know the first thing about rugby. Just take that drop goal: Wilkinson got the plaudits, but it was Johnson and Dawson who set it up. Wilkinson couldn't miss.

As for the game yesterday, England should be bitterly disappointed with the way they caved in towards the end. It was a promising enough performance in the breadth of ambition showed; Tait looked good at centre, Varndell looked raw but dangerous on the wing, whilst the back row were much, much quicker to the breakdown than they have been of late. The side was a very, very young one, very inexperienced, but they did have their opportunities and didn't take them. They might have been given that try on another day (it was inconclusive on the replay) and the game could have been different, but the same frailties were in evidence. England three times blew a simple overlap and the line-out was again shaky. They'll have to improve markedly in the 2nd Test.

Good things? Well, it looks like Ashton has already been to work on the attack. England were nothing like as laboured in the backs as they have been of late - in fact part of the problem was continually seeking the magic pass rather than doing the basics.

As for Australia - they've finally picked people who can scrummage! Hopefully that liability in the tight Al Baxter is consigned to the bench forever, and of course they are always dangerous in broken play.

So, all in all, Australia are showing signs of getting it together for the World Cup, whilst England are showing "promise" for the future with the kids. The problem there is that one year out from the World Cup, "promise" is nowhere near enough, and far too late. They have problems.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Gman94 -

The one thing I will say, is note the way Australia is reacting to this win.

QFF

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:00 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 11):
The one thing I will say, is note the way Australia is reacting to this win.

The one thing I will say in return, we noted exactly how Australia reacted to their World Cup win in 1999, and their cricket team. Don't go holier than thou on us.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 12):
we noted exactly how Australia reacted to their World Cup win in 1999

And how was that?

and their cricket team.

Cricket brings out the worst in spectators on both sides. I was talking about rugby.

Don't go holier than thou on us.

Wouldn't dream of it, Banco. We'll always have you and others to take us down a notch, even when we lose to you.

QFF

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 13):
And how was that?

You won't comment, so why should I?

I was talking about rugby.

Same applies.

We'll always have you and others to take us down a notch, even when we lose to you.

I'd be appalled if we ever stooped to Australian levels of triumphalism.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:19 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 14):
You won't comment, so why should I?

I will to you, but not to Gman94. We have a dialogue you and I.

Same applies.

To use the vernacular, it's a whole different ball game.

I'd be appalled if we ever stooped to Australian levels of triumphalism.

Ditto with regard to British levels of triumphalism.

But you're not providing any examples, Banco.

QFF

bill142

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 10):
I have to say though, that anyone that thinks England were a one man team in 2003 doesn't know the first thing about rugby

I never said they were a one man team. The tactic of the rolling maul worked well. To be honest, I was surprised that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa didn't attempt to fight fire with fire by using the same tactic against them.

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 15):
But you're not providing any examples, Banco.

I don't see why I should. You started it. My only post on the subject was to provide an analysis of the game, the shortcomings of both England and Australia and their potential for the future.

Gman94

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:11 pm

I'll just watch the RWC DVD tonight if your going to play a childish ' I'm not telling ' game. I just can't be arsed to get into one of your silly discussions about this imagined attitude that Brits have towards Australia.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 16):
I never said they were a one man team. The tactic of the rolling maul worked well. To be honest, I was surprised that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa didn't attempt to fight fire with fire by using the same tactic against them.

Still taking your pills I see, go back and watch a few matches, England were a well balanced team playing a strong forward and back game and not totally dominated by forward play.

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 16):
I never said they were a one man team.

It wasn't specifically aimed at you, Bill. More of a general comment at those who don't really understand the game. Unbelievably, you do hear some people say that New Zealand with Daniel Carter are a one man team, palpable nonsense clearly. But people tend to see the person kicking the goals and think it all derives from them.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 17):
I don't see why I should.

If you're predisposed to making unsubstantiated claims, then so be it.

Quoting Banco (Reply 17):
My only post on the subject was to provide an analysis of the game, the shortcomings of both England and Australia and their potential for the future.

It was an excellent post. You then involved yourself in a short exchange Gman94 and I were having in your next post. If you don't want to discuss it further, that's fine. You think Australians are bad winners, I think Britons are bad winners. Let's leave it there.

QFF

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 20):
If you're predisposed to making unsubstantiated claims, then so be it.

I merely responded to your own unsubstantiated claims by pointing out that it is somewhat rich for Australians to try to state such a thing. Don't try laying that one on me,it's down to you.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 20):
If you don't want to discuss it further, that's fine.

I didn't want to discuss it in the first place. You did.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
I merely responded to your own unsubstantiated claims by pointing out that it is somewhat rich for Australians to try to state such a thing.

I don't think you can claim any higher ground as a country when after the 2003 win (a VERY close game, remember) we saw large numbers of Britons in central London chanting anti-Australian slogans and publicly making jingoistic and derogatory comments. It just doesn't square with my interpretation of good sportsmanship. Add to this our head of state's clear favour of the English team (rugby AND cricket) in a number of circumstances, and you start to see a pattern emerging.

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
I didn't want to discuss it in the first place. You did.

You involved yourself, and you've continued to respond. Let's talk.

QFF

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 22):
I don't think you can claim any higher ground as a country when after the 2003 win

Never have claimed the higher ground and never will. I've always felt that the English and Australians are equally insufferable when they win, and equally irritating when they lose.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 22):
publicly making jingoistic and derogatory comments

I don't see any difference. If you take the rugby World Cup in 2003, you had your appalling media (as opposed to our appalling media) slagging off the England team throughout, and Australian "fans" outside the England hotel the night before the World Cup final trying to make as much noise as they could to keep the England team from sleeping.

I don't remotely include Howard's sour grapes in the equation because of the appalled reaction of every Australian to it.

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
If you take the rugby World Cup in 2003, you had your appalling media (as opposed to our appalling media) slagging off the England team throughout

They attacked the team, not your country generally. Many Australians weren't happy with the way the media treated the English team. I was one of them.

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
nd Australian "fans" outside the England hotel the night before the World Cup final trying to make as much noise as they could to keep the England team from sleeping.

Okay, I know the hotel they stayed at, and it's huge. It's also in an extremely popular part of town (Manly) that's renowned for its party atmosphere. I can also assure you that during the world cup in the pubs surrounding the English team's hotel, the loudest revellers were unquestionably the English supporters. There's no way that the English team members would have been kept awake because they were about 8 floors up from street level, and Manly is a focus point for police trying to disrupt anti-social behaviour. I think you're making too much of this incident, although I admit this is the first I've heard of it.

Some Australians are bad winners and do sledge the other team, but the British (the English especially) ridicule and degrade nations in general. I think that's exceptionally poor form, not that I'd expect you to agree.

QFF

Banco

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 24):
They attacked the team, not your country generally.

You must be joking. The Australian press are constantly attacking England and Britain in general. Clearly you don't see it. Australians ritually refer to us as "pommy bastards" for heaven's sake. Now, actually for me it's water off a duck's back, but others might disagree.

But I do accept that you and others weren't happy with the the way the media attacked England. Perhaps you'd do those of us on the other side the same courtesy.

Some Australians are bad winners and do sledge the other team,

Some? Australia is renowned for it.

but the British (the English especially) ridicule and degrade nations in general. I think that's exceptionally poor form, not that I'd expect you to agree.

The British ridicule everyone, themselves most of all.

TSV
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 am

I'm really wondering if I posted "Rugby Union : Australia V England" or "Try your hand at writing another version of Monty Python's "Argument" Skit".

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 25):
Australians ritually refer to us as "pommy bastards"

A term even our renowned Crown Prince seemed to enjoy. That said, I don't like it, and you'll notice that I don't use that term with 'you people'.  Wink

The British ridicule everyone, themselves most of all.

A pathetic excuse in light of your complaints against Australia.

"Sure, I beat my wife; but I beat up everyone!"

The way your lot carried of after WINNING the world cup, people dancing in the streets chanting anti-Australian rhetoric and sledging a country that had happily hosted them for several weeks was both ungrateful, and dare I say indicative of the way my country has been treated by yours since WWII! God only knows what you would have said if you'd lost.

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 27):
The way your lot carried of after WINNING the world cup, people dancing in the streets chanting anti-Australian rhetoric and sledging a country that had happily hosted them for several weeks was both ungrateful, and dare I say indicative of the way my country has been treated by yours since WWII! God only knows what you would have said if you'd lost.

Oh I'm so sorry.  Yeah sure

We'll prostrate ourselves in the dust in the light of our clear evil and cruelty to your poor, poor people. I always seem to forget how the kind, gracious and mighty Australians are put upon by us.

You live in a different world, you really do.

Gman94

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Very strange that I was at the victory parade for the World Cup and didn't hear one song to do with Australia. I suppose when you have an axe to grind you'll make any crap up to fit your agenda.

gkirk

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 28):

Actually QFF speaks the truth  stirthepot  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:30 pm

We'll prostrate ourselves in the dust in the light of our clear evil and cruelty to your poor, poor people.

It was neither cruel nor evil, it was ungrateful and unsportsmanlike.

I always seem to forget how the kind, gracious and mighty Australians are put upon by us.

You really have no concept of responsibility and graciousness, do you?

No, you live in a world where you've absolved your country of any of its historic responsibilities. To you, the UK has never made a mistake and never will. You view pragmatic nationalist and republican movements in Australia (not sure about other Cwth realms, but it wouldn't surprise me) with disdain.

YOU are living in a world without history and without national responsibility. I live in a world where nations take responsibility for their actions, and act with humility in defeat or after a win. I don't buy into jingoism, and until this thread I didn't think you did either.

So yes, we do live in different worlds.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 29):
Very strange that I was at the victory parade for the World Cup and didn't hear one song to do with Australia.

It made the news here.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 29):
I suppose when you have an axe to grind you'll make any crap up to fit your agenda.

Having not personally witnessed the first world war, the signing of the US declaration of Independence and the birth of christ; you logically refute the claim that those events happened too?

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 30):
Actually QFF speaks the truth

biggrin 

gkirk

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 32):

Thought you'd enjoy that one  Wink

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:41 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 31):
I don't buy into jingoism, and until this thread I didn't think you did either.

Really? Give me one example of where I've shown it.  Yeah sure

gkirk

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
jingoism

Feck it, now I'll have to look that up in the dictionary  grumpy 

Gman94

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 31):
Having not personally witnessed the first world war, the signing of the US declaration of Independence and the birth of christ; you logically refute the claim that those events happened too?

What have these events got to do with anything?

Like I said I was AT the victory parade and there were no anti Australia songs sung. But if it's reported in Australian media it must true, I mean the Aussie media is always fair and impartial when it comes do with anything about the UK and England in particular.  banghead 

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
Really? Give me one example of where I've shown it.

You're currently defending hooligans who regurgitate tired and inflammatory rhetoric. Not once have you said that yes, sometimes the British are offensive and rude toward Australians, and no - it's not okay. You're trying to substantiate it somehow by arguing that "Australians do it too". Well, I know some do; and I don't approve of that sort of behaviour.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 36):
What have these events got to do with anything?

They all happened, and you weren't there to see them.

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 36):
But if it's reported in Australian media it must true

There was video footage.  Yeah sure

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 37):
You're currently defending hooligans who regurgitate tired and inflammatory rhetoric.

Are you talking about Gman94?

OK, firstly, I haven't defended anyone. Secondly, if you're calling him a hooligan, I would suggest that you either back that statement up or withdraw it.

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 37):
Not once have you said that yes, sometimes the British are offensive and rude toward Australians, and no - it's not okay.

But I do accept that you and others weren't happy with the the way the media attacked England. Perhaps you'd do those of us on the other side the same courtesy.

Yeah sure

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 38):
OK, firstly, I haven't defended anyone.

Nor have you condemned them.

As for the second part of your post, you recognised that some Australians aren't happy with anti-British sentiment in the Press. You've admitted nothing with regard to the British overstepping the mark in Australia's case.

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
You've admitted nothing with regard to the British overstepping the mark in Australia's case.

Lordy, do I have to spell it out?

Quoting Banco (Reply 38):
Perhaps you'd do those of us on the other side the same courtesy.

Get it now?

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:26 pm

You're too subtle. That's why Australia loves America more than you - that say what they think and they think what they say. None of this pinko commie double entendre crap.

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:29 pm

You don't love America, you're just a colony of the place. If you had your own identity rather than just borrowing Britain and America's you'd realise that.

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):
If you had your own identity rather than just borrowing Britain and America's you'd realise that.

Australia is a mix of America and the UK - you can hear it in the accent.

Fortunately we didn't inherit your utterly rank social problems. 11 year olds giving birth, the rise of the "chav", your royals having it off on the front page of your many tabloids. At least Murdoch is making some money out of it. If we get our hands on Heathrow airport, we'll own your asses - not that I'd wear that badge of honour with any pride.

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 43):
your royals having it off on the front page of your many tabloids.

Your royals too, I think you'll find - and will remain so as long as you are too afraid to cut the apron strings.

As for social problems, you've plenty of your own that I've seen at first hand. When was it, 1967 that you declared the aborigines human?

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
Your royals too, I think you'll find - and will remain so as long as you are too afraid to cut the apron strings.

Believe me, give me an hour in a room with a pair of scissors and the group of people who constitute the "apron strings" and I'll cut them to ribbons.

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
When was it, 1967 that you declared the aborigines human?

Had nothing to do with the invasion and genocide instigated by the British in the name of BRITAIN that saw one of the most savage genocides in world hisory, the legacy of which we still deal with on a day to day basis.

We should sue your assess for every penny you've got (not that you've got much these days).

QFF

Banco

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 45):
Believe me, give me an hour in a room with a pair of scissors and the group of people who constitute the "apron strings" and I'll cut them to ribbons.

Unfortunately, your nation doesn't agree with you. So what is it, that they want the status quo or that they're too afraid?

Had nothing to do with the invasion and genocide instigated by the British in the name of BRITAIN that saw one of the most savage genocides in world hisory, the legacy of which we still deal with on a day to day basis.

Blah, blah, blah. I'm aware of our historical shortcomings. You are blind to your own. Or presumably Australia was still run by Britain in the sixties and seventies? Remind me, are you a young, thrusting independent nation in control of its own destiny, or are you a vassal state? Can't have it both ways. It's this hypocrisy coming out again, the way that calling us Pommy Bastards is fine, but even mention "convict" in reply and you go berserk.  Yeah sure

We should sue your assess for every penny you've got (not that you've got much these days).

More than you, though.

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 46):
Unfortunately, your nation doesn't agree with you. So what is it, that they want the status quo or that they're too afraid?

They're sheep, but at least they're sheep with a history of republicanism, which is more than I can say for your inbred, continental clan of backward thinking anglo-centric royals.

Quoting Banco (Reply 46):
but even mention "convict" in reply and you go berserk.

You...are...a...vile...and...disgusting...human...being.

The gallows are too good for scum like you.

Rot.

evomutant

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 47):
You...are...a...vile...and...disgusting...human...being.

The gallows are too good for scum like you.

Rot.

Thats really not necessary. And i'm glad you didn't see the comercials Sky ran last year for the ashes... showed a bunch of convicts (Shane Warne) being shipped out, returning 200 years later to play cricket. BTW, if Warne can see it as a joke, why cant you?

QANTASforever

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting Evomutant (Reply 48):
And i'm glad you didn't see the comercials Sky ran last year for the ashes... showed a bunch of convicts (Shane Warne) being shipped out, returning 200 years later to play cricket. BTW, if Warne can see it as a joke, why cant you?

Warne is a complete and utter tool, and a closet pom. He has a vested interest in rimming the English Cricket establishment because he's one SMS away from full-time county cricket.

And I did see the commercials - it resulted in a tirade of epic proportions on the part of yours truly against scum like you and yours.

Not that I care about them. The overwhealming majority of the Australian population are descended from free settlers and immigrants, as opposed to some inbred stink-pit in the midlands where you probably came from. How long did the Italians own you guys again? I forget. Also, didn't the Dutch have to come over and take control of the place when everything went rotten? What a prime example of British stability and the sanctity of your magical invisible constitution. Let's also not forget in your time that aside from the Italians, and the Dutch, you were actually invaded by.....the french!! Bwahahahahahahaha.

Seriously - we fought off the Japanese AND the Germans from our own borders, and you couldn't handle a couple of fruity cheese eating frogs! Rule Brittania!

All my love,

QFF